• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If you had the choice, which monitor option would you pick?

• 27' 4K Monitor

Votes: 234 39.5%
  • 34" 1080p Ultrawide Monitor

Votes: 174 29.3%
  • I just want my kids back

Votes: 77 13.0%
  • Greetings, Professor! Nothing to report

Votes: 108 18.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Went from a budget 4K to this 34' LG ultrawide

Lower res but waaaaay more real estate and games play like butter whee

What're some good beginner tips for a basic ultrawide boi

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
Brasília, Brazil
Nice buy. I have one myself although it is a super basic 1080p ultrawide. Mine's LG too.

My GTX 1060 has started feeling its age while playing ultrawide games.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I built this pyramid just to jump off of it onto u
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, now you can ask in every thread if a game supports ultrawide and you can be disappointed and skip it when it doesn't.

Ha ha just kidding around!

(No I'm not)

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy! I just picked up my first 1440p 144hz monitor myself and holy crap man, everything is soooo smooth.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I've been on Ultrawide for a while now and it's so much better than multi-monitor. My main gripe with it is the lack of support for basic shit like Netflix, YouTube, and like 70% of all games.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Ultrawide is the dream I will never be able to realize (at least until I start working and making money of my own).

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I got one last month too. It fucking rules.

The secret best thing no one talks about too much is a ton of movies now filling the whole screen.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been on Ultrawide for a while now and it's so much better than multi-monitor. My main gripe with it is the lack of support for basic shit like Netflix, YouTube, and like 70% of all games.

The reason I like multi-monitor is I like to put things to watch on one monitor while playing something on the other. Does an ultra-wide work okay for this? Like can you split it down the center with browser on one side and game on the other?

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got one recently too and it has been amazing! Try out some window configs if you have something like Spotify open because otherwise, full screen web browsing can be painful

EX

*slaps monitor* this baby can fit so much empty space

EO7Ck8k.png

but now I'm on that ultrawide kick, I'm eyeing 49" super ultra wides and forcing myself to look away

what if instead of two monitors wide, it can be three monitors wide

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's so nice, the extra real state is amazing for games and movies. Too bad support is spotty at best.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Never going back. The display industry's just gonna have to keep catering to me for the next several decades.

Anything decently popular that doesn't natively support 21:9 probably has a hack to enable it, and it's always worth doing.

The secret best thing no one talks about too much is a ton of movies now filling the whole screen.
It really is the best. I've spent a bunch of time reencoding movies just to strip out the letterboxing for proper fullscreen.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Use DSR to increase sharpness and make a B-line for the FOV slider as soon as you can in any given game.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a 120hz 1440p G-Sync ultrawide about, er, six months ago. I'm still not sold on the stupid curve but I don't really notice it in practice.

While there is a distinct lack of ultrawide content, I'm happy with the purchase. It doesn't push as many pixels as a 4K monitor so it's easier to get high framerates. And man, when you do get games that actually support it, like Original Sin 2 or Hitman 2, *dead*.

edit: I've also been finding ways to remove black bars from movies shot in ultrawide aspect ratios. Proper ultrawide films look so goddamned good on this thing.

Last edited:

Darío

Oct 27, 2017
CEMU has a lot of 21:9 graphic packs too (I dunno if it's possible to fix the stretched HUD ATM).

For a platformer like Tropical Freeze it actually gives you some very useful real state to see what's coming up ahead and it rarely glitches out.

04v8sjy.png

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
2560x1080?! If you squint enough to blur your vision you can get free FXAA.

Widescreen gaming forum has some good mods. Careful of ultrawide mods that can trigger Valve Anti Cheat.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Currently got a 1440/144 as my main screen right now and im sure it will stay like that for a while but im making 3440x1440 @144 ultrawide my next main monitor. Again wont be for a while but man its gonna be nice

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Admit it, you bought it because you thought it would make all the characters look ultrawiiiiiide

Oct 25, 2017
What is he going to show?

We know what ultra wide content looks like.
Prove that I do
SHOW ME
People like showing their new stuff. Asking to see demonstrates interest in their life, while also giving that person an easy excuse to show off without feeling presumptuous, which makes them feel good. It's purely for social enjoyment. Just let it happen.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I saw one in the flesh in Costco yesterday. I didn't realise just how wide they actually are!

I'm a couch gamer these days with an OLED, but I wish these had be a thing 20 years ago when I was still doing m/kb gaming at my desk. Especially for flight sim and racers. And with that field of view you surely can't lose at Rocket League.

Wish they'd do massive ultra wide TVs for the living room, even if 99% of what I watch on it would have pillar box bars.