• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone answer if they breathe well? I get warm at night and this seems like it would only add to that.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I've always known that having weight on me was therapeutic -- I used to put extra blankets or even pile clothes on me when I was a kid going to sleep. I should definitely get one of these.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Just just started looking out of curiosity and there seems to be cooling version out there for hot sleepers.

Visiting a friend this weekend that has one to try it out.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Is it heavier or lighter than an x-ray blanket? Do you get super hot under it?

I don't think you would get hotter. The material isn't necessarily thicker than a normal blanket-it just has beads inside the fabric to increase the weight.

15727.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjVbrayshns&frags=

Oct 30, 2017
We give weighted stuffed animals to some patients here along with blankets. We've used weighted blankets with severe and profound IDD folks with autistic features. It's the only way they'll sleep sometimes.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
My entire life I've been piling up quilts to try and get the same feeling. I have lots of anxiety at night, and lots helps some. I want one really bad. They are super expensive though

KaladinSB

Oct 27, 2017
The sharper image by me was closing down and they had the Brookstone weighted blanket 2 for $80. They're normally $150 each.

They are amazing. I'm basically Linus carrying this thing everywhere with me.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Because it's a work out. You lay under this blanket slimfast and your body starts actually lifting subconsciously to stay alive. You get the same effect by pumping some iron. Just saved you $100 on a gimmick. Write me a cheque for $20.

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid, I had a fairly heavy blanket. It wasn't an intentionally weighted blanket, it was just very thick and it made me feel very safe and calm. I loved that blanket and was upset when it got old and thrown out. I've never had another blanket since then that matched that feeling.

I've been very tempted to get a weighted blanket recently. If I don't get one for christmas I'll probably pull the trigger.

I felt Brookstone's 12 pounder in person and it still felt too light to me. If I get one I'll probably go 20+.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I bought a 15lbs one about two months ago, but I'm about 175-180lbs and don't find it heavy enough to really make a difference. The one I have is also longer than a standard blanket, so I think some of that weight is also just sitting at the end of the bed and not on top of me.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Well I just ordered one, thanks OP.

20 lbs, from the Canadian company Gravid (which is what you would call a prego animal with eggs like a turtle, quick facts). I am very excited.
Pretty expensive but sounds absolutely worth it.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got one as an early Christmas gift as well and it's amazing, it's super comfy.

To those asking if it gets too hot I have this one and it's not hot at all. I regularly sweat when I sleep and have trouble staying under blankets but I have yet to run into that problem with this one, it's wonderful.

_jnup

Oct 30, 2017
I try to use one with the girlfriend and I get way too hot in it. Need to look into the cooling weighted blanket.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Is this the same kind of blanket normally used for soothing autistic children? That's the only application I've ever heard for it.
Yes, same thing. I taught special ed in a middle school for a while and we used these sorts of things all the time to help kids wind down.

The idea is that heavy pressure on the body calms the nervous system; which is why these sorts of things have been used for years with children who are on the spectrum. However, this has also led to an outcry, from many parents of special needs children and the small businesses that used to make these before they got this big rise in mainstream popularity, that this is a form of appropriation and that it's killing those mom & pop businesses that originally made them.
Articles like this kind of highlight that, but it just sort of is what it is at this point.

They definitely do work though.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Huh, I kind of wish I knew about these before I finished shopping for the holidays. I think my wife would really like one from what I'm reading.

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
I have one. It's nice, and yes it can get hot since it essentially seals all around you. I still move around a lot at night and shuffling that thing to get it back on top is more effort than I'd like when I'm half asleep. Mild annoyance..

Also in the mornings I wake up to it being on the floor or just next to me instead of on top, but hey it does help put me to sleep so its worth it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love mine. My daughter eventually stole it, so we got her another for Xmas. I'm in Seattle and we have 80 degree summer nights and 20 degree winter nights at the extreme ends, and the blanket and a sheet are all I've needed regardless. I have a chronic back issue that can be exacerbated by wonky sleep positions and the 20 pound weight seems to apply some sort of nocturnal rigor and spine discipline. YMMV. Do NOT be tempted to get one that isn't quilted as that will basically be a bag of glass beads. The quilted pockets evenly distribute the weight andd the beads. I have no idea why it's so good at temperature regulation and one physical impossibility - that exposed limbs are more evenly temperature regulated - nonetheless seems to be true for me - no frozen exposed leg waking me up. Maybe the beads emanate stored heat laterally?

I bought a 4.5 start Amazon reviewed one for about $100 and it's fantastic. My only concern is washing it. Not sure what the risks are.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, same thing. I taught special ed in a middle school for a while and we used these sorts of things all the time to help kids wind down.

The idea is that heavy pressure on the body calms the nervous system; which is why these sorts of things have been used for years with children who are on the spectrum. However, this has also led to an outcry, from many parents of special needs children and the small businesses that used to make these before they got this big rise in mainstream popularity, that this is a form of appropriation and that it's killing those mom & pop businesses that originally made them.
Articles like this kind of highlight that, but it just sort of is what it is at this point.

They definitely do work though.
wow a medical therapy is now appropriation.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, never heard of this. I've been out of ideas for gits for my wife, maybe I'll get her one.

Any recommendations?

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I do like having thick blankets and pillows layered on me, so I was thinking of getting one sooner or later.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Makes sense. I always found that i sleep better when my kids climb in to our bed and lie on or against me. (wife finds the opposite). Similar idea in principle.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I thought this was the normal kind of blanket. I've only ever had these so called "weighted blanket".

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Eh, I think it sucks.

Have a king size one. Somehow it always migrates down to the bottom of the bed and it's a nightmare to try to pull up.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've never considered one of these, but thinking about it, I've always enjoyed the way heavy lead thing they put on you when you're getting dental x-rays felt. It makes sense to me that this would be something you could actually buy.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Unfortunately I'm a pretty warm guy and end up sleeping without blankets for most of the year, even in the winter months. The idea of a weighted blanket sounds lovely but I feel like it would feel stifling in the long run.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Do they sell any versions of these that don't make you sweat at night? No matter what blanket I have, I get way too hot at night and sweat. I generate too much body heat.