• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Disclaimer: I love handheld systems. I really do. So forgive me if I show too much enthusiasm in this thread. And no, I don't need to get P4 Golden because I already played the original, but I could get it if I find it cheap.

The year (and decade) is almost goingt to finish and I thought I should get a Vita someday. Ok... honestly I never got feel rushed because, even if I know those little things can be a bit difficult to find in good conditions, a friend had one for years but never played it a lot, so I always counted with ask for his unit any day. I say he had one, because I finally bought his Vita this past friday. It's damn pretty, and the only stuff it's bothering me is I'm getting just 4 hours to play before the battery drains completely.

IMG-20191110-215739.jpg

The portable gang is growing

As you can see, I really love handheld gaming. They were (and still are) pretty important for me in my early adulthood when I missed the past generation, only getting a 360 and PS3 for specific titles (Bayonetta and Persona 5) in 2015 and 2017, and a PS4 and Switch fairly recently. I have at least a DS and PSP (sadly busted right now) since the start of the decade.

Having said that... holy fuck, how expensive can be invest in a Vita. My friend only had a 4GB memory card, so I'm locked out to have a lot of games in the memory, I will try get one of 32 GB. I know about modding and to put a microSD there, and actually I'm going do it... eventually. I want first buy all the games I want (mostly VN games I can't find in Switch) before I mod the Vita. At least the games can be cheap, I got Steins;Gate (already featured in the pic and clocked 6 hours) and the muv-luv duology. I need check if Xenogears, Resident Evil 2, Persona 3 Portable and the Persona 2 games have got some kind of price drop recently, but if not I will get them anyway.

Ah, and my friend give me a pretty bag to bring the Vita. Looks official. Wish the bag for my Switch had the same texture.

IMG-20191110-215941.jpg

Anyway ERA, how much you love handheld gaming? I love enough to get a Vita in 2019, but don't know if enough to get a Pocket from the Analogue people.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
xjPi6Th.gif

My friend only had a 4GB memory card, so I'm locked out to have a lot of games in the memory, I will try get one of 32 GB.
You soon:
3YYaYjc.gif

I rushed to make sure that gif was the first response to your thread. Now! I gotta say I love the Vita. I also love the themes on the Vita. Dunno how the other shops are, but the Japanese PSN has such great themes: House in Fata Morgana, Utawarerumono, Touhou, and more all had free themes with great music over the years. It's such a joy being able to play PS1 and PSP games on the system, too. I had such a great time with it, and I still gotta go back one day. I haven't beaten Persona 4 Golden or the Trails remasters (I like the new art. Don't hurt me).

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Great :) As we speak I have a fully charged ps vita in my pocket. I have homebrew installer and I'm making a homebrew game together with my daughter these days.

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
Damn, that makes me so happy to see this.

For one OP, you will save a few bucks on all the future disgaea remakes on the switch, lol.
Still love playing it, I hope the shop won't disappear soon. Just like it's a pleasure to play older games on the Switch, having a PSone everywhere I go with an OLED screen is a pleasure that has yet to be topped.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people will tell you the 64GB CARDS have a high failure rate. There's truth to that, but I find if you leave about 5-10gb free you lower the chances of that happening greatly. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it works fine.

Go play Breath of Fire 3/4 and Alundra on Vita now!

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
put custom firmware on it and use a microsd card adapter instead of spending 100 dollars on one of the most unreliable overpriced memory cards known to man

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Welcome to the club dude, the punch has dried up and most of the guests have left, but there are still a lot of great games on the system to catch up to.

While the Switch has mostly replaced this as my go-to portable, I still come back to KillZone Mercenaries, Gravity Rush, Katamari Damacy,, Uncharted and a few other games. Having portable Ninja Gaiden is also awesome.

Avoid Borderlands 2 like the plague though, one of the few games I regret buying on Vita.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Vita memory cards are unreliable POS. It's a miracle that my 32GB card is still kicking from launch considering how much I wrote to it, doing reviews and all. Do yourself a favor and get an sd2Vita. Better yet, if that 1k is a 3G unit, get a PSVSD.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Vita memory cards are unreliable POS. It's a miracle that my 32GB card is still kicking from launch considering how much I wrote to it, doing reviews and all. Do yourself a favor and get an sd2Vita. Better yet, if that 1k is a 3G unit, get a PSVSD.

That's the mod that allows you to use an SD Card to in combination with the other memory card right?

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A bit like the Wii, the Vita is one of those systems that was much better "for its time". Console type games on the go is standard now thanks to the Switch which gets quality ports of some of the hottest games of the current generation.(The Witcher 3, Doom, etc.) But at the time the Vita was the closest thing there was. There was also the fact that the system had plenty of niche Japanese titles, but most have been ported to the PC, and these types of games are available on every system now but Xbox.

It's a great little system if you want Falcom games or visual novels on the go. But the things that turned people's head toward the system have found a new home, mostly on Nintendo's latest platform.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's the mod that allows you to use an SD Card to in combination with the other memory card right?
Both mods let you to use both memory cards but the 3G mod allows you to keep the game slot open. Although, using 2 cards at once is situational. I think you can set it up to store stuff on the PSP side.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
As a fellow hand held aficionado I totally understand the vita in 2019 It's a great piece of hardware, probably a tie as my favorite with the gba micro. Might be the last true handheld device ever launched?

OP
OP

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's dangerous to mod the Vita and still have access to the PSN store? That's something I'm not too clear.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
It's dangerous to mod the Vita and still have access to the PSN store? That's something I'm not too clear.
Till now i didn't heard about any ban, but i am sure if you cheat in online games you will be banned.
Use new account if you scared about your account, i am using my main account and still good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Till now i didn't heard about any ban, but i am sure if you cheat in online games you will be banned.
Use new account if you scared about your account, i am using my main account and still good.

Yeah, about that, I screwed and bought Steins;gate and the muv-luv games under my only account because I wanted buy PS4 games and that time I was using gift cards x_x The only thing I think it's to mod the PS Vita and have those three games somehow in the system and change my PSN account. I haven't idea how feasible is this plan, but honestly the money I could invest in a official PS Vita card I would prefer get a cheaper and faster microSD card and the stuff to make it compatible to the Vita.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Vita earlier this year. It's my first handheld! I spend a lot of time at home, so occasions to use it aren't super often, but it has definitely come in handy. It was an excuse to replay through gravity rush, although unfortunately the experience, while still good, is poor compared to PS4. The right stick just feels awful to use, and aiming by holding the Vita itself is just....bad. It's bad on PS4 too but thankfully pretty easy to ignore there.

My right thumb especially also seems to hurt a lot too. It's a personal thing but having it so tightly forward makes it snap in the joint and it's not enjoyable. I probably should get some sort of grip. But like you say, OP, it's expensive getting into Vitas. I got a screen protector, Smatree case (really great, love it), and a 32GB card because I heard the 64 were prone to failure. Even with a very nice low price for a japanese one from Newegg (couldn't find a new US one anywhere at all), I still spent well over $300 I think? I'm forgetting. I knew it would be though, and had been saving up for some time.

And yet despite the negatives, like, idk I'm super fond of my Vita. It's just such a nice little console. It's just fun to just, play around with it? Idk? Like, it's a cute console I guess? I'm not sure. It's just so charming. I think I may start Rayman Legends as well, and see how the touch parts play on it, since I'm never getting a Wii U and I love that game. Just about worrisome cuz I'd want the platinum but that requires getting a diamond cup which uhhhhhhhhhhh. Yeah population is a bit low if you wanna get in the top 1% for an event. Also at some point I need to try out Persona 4 Golden.

I am just way too scared to mod my Vita I think though.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I had two 64gb cards and they both started getting errors constantly and games randomly disappearing from the home screen, I don't think they're worth the risk

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
A modded Vita is Life, no question. Mine is hacked to hell and back and causes no problems for my PSN. Sony is done with it (it´s was even discotinued in 2013). No one cares OP. You do you.

I had the OG model since 2013 and will keep it till it breaks, even if I went through the library. The PS4 portable screen is aces if you use the right games too. Poor poor Sony, you made such good handhelds.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Was playing Death Stranding in the bath yesterday. I know the Switch is impressive but man there's something about seeing a game like DS playing on a Vita while you're just lounging around that just feels like the future. I mean not the streaming part but handheld consoles being able to run games of that caliber. Switch is defintely a move towards that kind of future.

Wish PSNow was still a thing on Vita and that you have customizable controls for remote play. The devs just pick whatever and sometimes it's really stupid like Mortal Kombat 11 requiring you to touch the screen to block and has nothing mapped to be back panels is moronic.

Uh also need to clear some space. Pretty sure I'm at like 500mb left of 64GB but still going strong.

Sky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UK
My Vita lasts longer than 4 hours. I also like the power saving feature it has.
Yup, first thing I did was invest in a 64gb card to store all my PS+ vita games. :D
Only a handful of games I bought for it like P4, Tearaway and FFX. Great handheld.

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A modded Vita with SD2Vita is heavenly. I had a 64gb memory card and it went to shit after two years, now I use a 200gb SanDisk card and it works great. Haven't had any issues with PSN spoofing.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Also question for everyone here and this has been what has put me off modding...

For the SD mod, does it remove you from PS Network so you can't unlock trophies, play PS4 through remote play or download my old Vita games from the store? That's whats really stopped me even though I'd love to do it.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How easy is it to mod your vita these days? As simple as you can do with the psp, which only took a few minutes on my psp street model (E1000 I think)?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I had two 64gb cards and they both started getting errors constantly and games randomly disappearing from the home screen, I don't think they're worth the risk

It's a good thing a 32GB card seems to be able to hold a fair amount.

Now I've never tried it but are they easily swappable? I've got a case with a little pouch one could totally be stored in. So like I could download a bunch of games to one and a bunch of games to another? Or is that a bad idea. Like would that increase their chance of corrupting or is it even a thing?

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Congratz, the Vita is one of my most favorite handhelds ever! :D

That said do not ever spend a cent on any official memory-card, SD2Vita is the way to go. My 64gb card died completely after 2 years of moderate use with errors already starting after one year. Nowadays I'm rocking a 128gb SanDisk Ultra microSD in my Vita and have zero issues.

As for modding and online, generally you should be fine if you keep playing legit cartridges or PSN bought digital games. If you ever want to digitalize your physical library, so copying your cartridges to your SD card that is safe aswell aslong as you don't sync trophies for these games. Generally I would set Trophy Auto-Sync and Auto-Downloads to off. Aslong as you adhere to this you shouldn't have to fear any ban.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i'd definitely recommend the sd2vita route, I hacked mine last year and put in a 200gb microSD and loaded up a ton of games, its a fantastic portable emulation machine. There are cool hacks too like allowing you to pair a dualshock 4, ds4Vita. The jailbreak is really easy, took me about 2 hours total just follow the steps exactly, don't rush, and read through every line a few times before you do it. Don't be the guy who says "oh, i skipped the step where it said backup X or do Y because I thought i'd never need it".

With the switch I honestly don't play the vita at all anymore but its nice to have around, I do prefer the handheld size over the switch.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And no, I don't need to get P4 Golden because I already played the original, but I could get it if I find it cheap.

Between the QoL improvements, ability to choose skill inheritence, new shuffle time game (my favorite post-battle game in the series), rebalancing of enemies & allies, and new content, it really is worth replaying if you liked the original game at all. Play it with the main character not changing his persona and boosting it to crazy levels with shuffle time bonuses & skill cards if you want a different experience.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
Also question for everyone here and this has been what has put me off modding...

For the SD mod, does it remove you from PS Network so you can't unlock trophies, play PS4 through remote play or download my old Vita games from the store? That's whats really stopped me even though I'd love to do it.
No one can tell the future. But for the past several years? No. You spoof your firmware version in settings and everything functions normally.

The only bans I know of involved piracy.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I never knew the 64GB card was prone to failure. Guess I'm selling mine and hacking my Vita to work with a micro SD

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
I love handheld gaming. Much more than sitting in front of a tv. My handheld gaming started back in the 80s so I have a ton of devices.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats. Now feel those buttons every time you boot up a game, it will mend your soul.

Best games on the system are Shiren, Oreshika and Stranger of Sword City.

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I want one too! Finding new ps Vita's in the USA is really hard. Is there an online store that sells them? I've always wanted one but couldn't afford it. Now that I can afford it they're gone.

It's not fair! Sony I want a ps vita sequel. They can get it right this time and possibly make the device cheaper imo.

Now I'm going to cry about missing out of ps vita because I can't find a new one online.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
No it won´t. There are people who cheated themselves to crazy trophy levels by "getting" every Asian version of the endless VNs. Not me, as I got better things to do, but I got Japan-only games this way and my PSN profile still works. Things may have been different years ago but the handheld is sadly dead to Sony now. Have fun.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A modded Vita with SD2Vita is heavenly. I had a 64gb memory card and it went to shit after two years, now I use a 200gb SanDisk card and it works great. Haven't had any issues with PSN spoofing.

Can ask the speed of this card? By the capacity I assume it should be class U2 or something. Right now I could get a 64 microSD card Class U1 very cheap.

By the way, I'm really tempting to mod the Vita and put the SD2Vita. Looks like my Vita lacks the 3G stuff, but I was not planning to buy physical games anyway. I really want do this before a new firmware version happen and download the few games I have in my main PSN account and shift to a new account for the Vita. I'm sure homebrew will help me manage those "leftover" content :P

Nov 8, 2017
I don't have much need of portable gaming since I stopped doing daily train commutes a few years ago, but I really miss having new games on the Vita and I don't think there will ever be another handheld system as enjoyable or as good overall value as the Vita.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing handheld. Hacking my vita last month was the smartest thing I've done with it since I bought it. Playing old FE games on it and streaming VNs with moonlight to my Vita while in bed has been a gamechanger, as well as setting up SD2Vita and backing up all my physical games.

Adrenaline has also been excellent for setting up Save States and graphics options for all the old PSP games. Always feels like I've been discovering some new homebrew app that makes the system even better (custom themes app is godlike too).

Can ask the speed of this card? By the capacity I assume it should be class U2 or something. Right now I could get a 64 microSD card Class U1 very cheap.

By the way, I'm really tempting to mod the Vita and put the SD2Vita. Looks like my Vita lacks the 3G stuff, but I was not planning to buy physical games anyway. I really want do this before a new firmware version happen and download the few games I have in my main PSN account and shift to a new account for the Vita. I'm sure homebrew will help me manage those "leftover" content :P

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the speed.

Just some side advice, the setup for SD2Vita lets you download games right off the PSN store right onto the SD Card. Even if you chose to go the physical game route, you can make backups of all your games and put them on the SD card and boot them from there. I only did a few games since the process takes a bit of time for the bigger games, but it's nice to have all my games off my old Vita memory card since my 64 GB one broke only a year after i bought it and I ended up losing all my saves like in Cold Steel 1&2, both Uta games, P3/P4G, etc.