• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Leap and Aeron are the gold standards. I got a used Aeron for ~$400 and I love that every single part on it is replaceable and there's a booming secondary market for it. Got some leather arm rests, might upgrade to a new gas piston next

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I got a herman miller aeron for free thankfully........If I had to get a new one I would pay the high price in a heart beat. Don't bother with gaming chairs.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Herman Miller Aeron for years, but even that got uncomfortable for me. I half-joked about wanting a SL Omega and my wife stored that bit of conversation and ended up getting me one for Christmas (fabric version). I really like it. I came down with a terrible cold over the holidays, so I basically lived in it for a week, and it was nice to be able to use the lumbar/neck pillows, unlock it, recline and just completely chill out while getting the plat for AC Odyssey. Basically, it's something I don't know if I would have ever purchased for myself given the price. I got the dark gray one with the blue text. Looks pretty subtle compared to most chairs of this type, but so far, so good, no soreness/fatigue.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have a tough time finding good PC gaming chairs because I like to sit with my legs crossed. Most chairs don't have a big and wide enough seat to do that comfortably.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm running a gaming chair SLI setup with a light overclock on both by using a ceiling fan rotor to amplify the power they give off. Shits fucking crazy on performance. Must be about 999 or so fps but i havent checked. My average KD in Modern Warfare is on Shroud levels of gaming godlyness.

recommended

Awesome! Sounds like a top rig! How did you mount the RGB lights so the chair could still swivel!?

Also...are you thinking about watercooling or are you an old skool air-cooler kind of person?

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I share your sentiments. Tomrorow I'm getting a refurbished Herman Miller Aeron upon recommendation of many people, but am starting to get a bit concerned because from what I've heard, it doesn't let you be flexible in positions should you need to be. As I sit down for hours at end, I feel the need to reposition more often so I can keep my body moving and it's starting to give me concerns.
I had some comfortable sitting options on my old refurb Herman Miller chair. But then I got a newer refurbished chair, same brand and everything, but the seat seems too small and I hate it. I didn't realize how much I needed that normal-sized seat to adjust into other positions of necessary. So just make sure it feels right.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I had some comfortable sitting options on my old refurb Herman Miller chair. But then I got a newer refurbished chair, same brand and everything, but the seat seems too small and I hate it. I didn't realize how much I needed that normal-sized seat to adjust into other positions of necessary. So just make sure it feels right.
The Aeron comes in 3 sizes, A, B and C. You can run your finger under the lip at the top of the backrest and there will be bumps there corresponding to the size you have. A = 1, B = 2, C=3.

B is the most common size out there.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! Sounds like a top rig! How did you mount the RGB lights so the chair could still swivel!?

Also...are you thinking about watercooling or are you an old skool air-cooler kind of person?

Honestly thinking about investing in Belle Delphines new bathwater watercoolers you can get on amazon right now. The added germs are a great addition as they remove any unwanted unknown germs from the chair, leaving only the ones known to your immune system and Belle Delphines bathtub (which looks very clean from the pictures we've seen, so i don't think we have to worry).

Not using RGB actually! i think its kinda tacky.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I nearly bought a gaming chair a few months ago when I started to have pretty serious back pain and numbness, so I'm glad I read this now after I managed to snag a used office chair for cheaper.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
The best gaming chair for me is my couch I bought for just over 550 bones. Shit has two built in recliners on each side and I fucking fall asleep in it sometimes because it is so good. I have my big screen right in front of me but I also have a table to my right of my reclining side with a desk arm I can swivel out in front of me (with my PC monitor). I know it sounds funky, but it works. I can recline back and swivel the monitor arm around in front of me at an angle down so I can just lay back and still see my monitor.

ABSOLUTE COMFORT with my fucking soft af blankie and my teddy bear.... BITCHES.

EDIT: When I have to get up, I nearly cry because I don't wanna it feels so good. But I want to eat food and shit, so I gotta do what I gotta do.
You gonna say all that and not drop a pic? The hell bro?

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking in the 300 range after going through several 1-200 chairs. Ended up getting a Secretlab Omega. Was certainly weary due to the aesthetic, but went with it anyway. Secretlab was at least more muted than DXRacer.

Been using it for several years now and find it was certainly worth the price. I don't like the aesthetic, but its more comfortable than my work herman miller.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I had a Herman Miller Aeron for years, but even that got uncomfortable for me. I half-joked about wanting a SL Omega and my wife stored that bit of conversation and ended up getting me one for Christmas (fabric version). I really like it. I came down with a terrible cold over the holidays, so I basically lived in it for a week, and it was nice to be able to use the lumbar/neck pillows, unlock it, recline and just completely chill out while getting the plat for AC Odyssey. Basically, it's something I don't know if I would have ever purchased for myself given the price. I got the dark gray one with the blue text. Looks pretty subtle compared to most chairs of this type, but so far, so good, no soreness/fatigue.
Heh the thing that kept me from buying an Omega for a whole year was the color options on the cloth chairs. Ended up with a used leap that I'm liking. If they had come out with an all single color chair, I'd have jumped on it

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming chairs seem like a waste of money to me. They just look gaudy and uncomfortable. Better off getting a nice office chair or recliner.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all got me thinking of replacing mine (DXRacer or whatever). Have had it for about 5+ years. Won it off some random drawing from a streamer.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I have a Vertagear chair that i got for an ok price and i really like it. The thing with chairs is you have to they them to see if it fits tour taste. Buying a chair online can be a bad idea

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
If my horrible back is in any indication, gaming chairs are overpriced, but if you don't have any back issues you probably wouldn't notice unless you sit for long periods of time anyway. Of course I recommend testing out chairs for yourself if it's possible, because finding a good chair can be complicated as it comes down to your height, weight, etc. as well.

If price isn't an issue and you really want a gaming chair, I know Herman Miller will be putting out gaming chairs of their own soon tm.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't you get the chair serviced since looks like it's still within warranty period? Had my 5 years old mirra 2 chair replaced for free few months ago because it was randomly making crackling noise.
I should look into it, but I've had it serviced several times at this point - I've had three arms replaced already - and I'm wanting to get something else.

If you're recommending anything in the vicinity of an ergonomic chair, you're not someone I want advice from on good office chairs to purchase. Other people like them; great for them. I despise ergonomic chairs.
You probably don't have it adjusted correctly, or the chair you're using is not a good fit, if you don't like ergonomic chairs.
That's why many of the better ones come in multiple sizes.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I don't think I've ever liked a chair I spent less than $200 on. If you're gonna spend hours a day with your ass sat on it, do your body a favor and invest in quality.

This goes for mattress stuff too.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I went looking for a used HM Aeron chair on CL and ended up with a used Allsteel Relate for $175. From an office remodeling place (they had Aerons for like $500-700 also).

Honestly it's almost better than my Herman Miller Aeron was (been sitting in one for like 15 years at work until a recent building move - not a fan of the HM Sayl chair...too short).

Any legit work office chair should do the trick. They're built for 40+ hr a week use so they stand up over time and have proper ergo adjustments (armrests in/out/forward/back/up/down, etc).

As someone who had tendonitis in both wrists in his late 20s, please, please watch a video on sitting ergonomically and try to improve your posture. I've pulled a neck muscle too from too much bad angle computer monitor + homework and too much reading.

Especially if you are at a PC a lot. Shit only gets worse as you get older. The biggest sin I always see is not supporting arms on armrests at proper height (even with the desktop). And keyboard wrist rests which are never a good idea - they are very hard on your wrists.

ergonomic-sitting-EN.jpg

Last edited:

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I got a gaming chair and instantly noticed my KD ratio increased as the chair forces me to sit up right which actually meant my arms were then parallel with my desk. This ensured that i had maximum control of my kbm. In fact, i increased my sensitivity settings on my mouse as a result and im now performing at maximum capacity in modern warfare. The lumbar and head cushion means i cant slouch so i feel my concentration has increased as well as my focus.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
never buy a chair you've never sat in first, or a mattress you've never lied down on first. &, of course, never marry anyone you've never had sex with first...

Last edited:

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
side note, you can swap out your chair's casters for some roller blade casters if you dont want to bother with chair mats on low carpet or hardwood floors. Just got a set off amazon and while it adds about a 1/2 in to the chair, it makes rolling around much easier

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Any product that's called "Gaming xxx" is usually rubbish. Why the hell would there be a need for a desk chair to be specifically tailored for gaming?

OP
OP
Exellus

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for all the recommendations.

I only spend around $100 on this one, so I'll probably keep it. At the very least it can be a guest chair if I have friends over for whatever.

But now i'm definitely thinking about something new. I'd like to keep it in the area of $200 or less though. I like the idea of something that could recline, or had a foot rest, or something like that. Cushions sound good too.

La Z boy sounds great, but I have a desk and a dual-monitor setup, lol. Probably wouldn't fit.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks for all the recommendations.

I only spend around $100 on this one, so I'll probably keep it. At the very least it can be a guest chair if I have friends over for whatever.

But now i'm definitely thinking about something new. I'd like to keep it in the area of $200 or less though. I like the idea of something that could recline, or had a foot rest, or something like that. Cushions sound good too.

La Z boy sounds great, but I have a desk and a dual-monitor setup, lol. Probably wouldn't fit.
Return the $100 chair, up your budget to $300+, and look for a good pre-owned office chair. Guests can sit in a folding camping chair.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I went looking for a used HM Aeron chair on CL and ended up with a used Allsteel Relate for $175. From an office remodeling place (they had Aerons for like $500-700 also).

Honestly it's almost better than my Herman Miller Aeron was (been sitting in one for like 15 years at work until a recent building move - not a fan of the HM Sayl chair...too short).

Any legit work office chair should do the trick. They're built for 40+ hr a week use so they stand up over time and have proper ergo adjustments (armrests in/out/forward/back/up/down, etc).

As someone who had tendonitis in both wrists in his late 20s, please, please watch a video on sitting ergonomically and try to improve your posture. I've pulled a neck muscle too from too much bad angle computer monitor + homework and too much reading.

Especially if you are at a PC a lot. Shit only gets worse as you get older. The biggest sin I always see is not supporting arms on armrests at proper height (even with the desktop). And keyboard wrist rests which are never a good idea - they are very hard on your wrists.

ergonomic-sitting-EN.jpg
What's this about wrist rests?

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

I'm on the side of bad myself.

That said most of the problem is people using them at an angle (i.e. arms too low / angled upward with no elbow rests).
have you ever looked into something like this? I've had 2 of these for years and love using them over arm rests of my chairs, lets me bend my arms out a bit while using a keyboard

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LW5TBV6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Yeah man, I just don't get it. I work remote and I use the same desk and chair for work I use for gaming and development in my free-time, I've tried a bunch of different chairs, and right now I have a chair I got for like 20 or 30 bucks at Target, it's the best chair I've had in ages. I really can't fathom spending crazy amounts of money on these gaming chairs with all this padding and extra shit all over them. They're pretty hideous, they take up so much more space, and as you've said, they're not comfortable.

I've spent entire weeks in hospital beds that were more comfortable then a day working in one of those absurd things.

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
I use a Herman Miller Embody myself. A lot cheaper over the years vs back surgery.

Ergonomics of your chair/desk are just as important as the hardware you use.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Buy a regular office chair, much better and easier on the eyes. Never got the appeal of gaming chairs and never will. Their margins are huge from what I've heard though.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Noblechairs Epic and I love it. I don't hear a lot about Noblechairs outside the very occasional post and I'm kinda surprised they're not more popular.

It was disappointingly uncomfortable at first but I think there's a bit of a breaking in period. Now it's very comfortable and hasn't turned into a flattened mess like the cheap Office Depot pleather chairs after 2.5 years of very heavy use.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
If you think gaming chairs are tacky, just google gaming desks (yep, that is unfortunately a thing) and revel in the ugliness

Back on topic, I made the same mistake as OP did a few years ago. It wasn't that uncomfortable, but I swapped it for a normal chair that was cheaper, gave me for room to sit how I wanted, and didn't make me look like a sixteen year old.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I got one because my roommates had one. I got rid of mine after a year. It felt awful. I now use a regular swivel chair that's very comfortable.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The Aeron comes in 3 sizes, A, B and C. You can run your finger under the lip at the top of the backrest and there will be bumps there corresponding to the size you have. A = 1, B = 2, C=3.

B is the most common size out there.
Thanks for reminding me of this. I'll have to check what I got because that's basically what makes it short of perfect again.

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
The one I have is a Secret Lab chair and is very comfortable. However, it seems like that's the one that might have the best reviews, but it's also one of the most expensive "gaming" chairs.
Two of my friends recently got secret lab chairs as well. I really like them and they don't have the weird butt thing OP mentioned.

I want to get one but my cat has already destroyed my 200$ chair. I feel he's itching to sharpen his claws on some new leather!šŸ˜»

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I sit in a table chair from the dining set my parents bought in the early 90s.

I've never found a chair anywhere that felt any better to sit in that would be worth spending money on.