• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
dTmCZ.jpg

My vote goes to this little fella.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
w14.jpg

Tripods from Spielberg's War of the Worlds were pretty terrifying, granted that was like 49% direction and 49% sound design, rather than the physical design itself (and yes, they're technically vehicles), but still.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The xenomorph/alien is an absolutely fantastic design. Sure, it's been kind of demystified in recent times, but not really.

It's genuinely terrifying, has nightmarish traits, and is incredibly intimidating. Like, many of the creatures in this thread are wonderful, and scary, but the xenomorph really does seem like something out of your nightmares, and I can't imagine seeing one of them in person and not losing my shit, figuratively and literally.

Cthulhu and mindflayers are also horrifically scary. I know Demon's Souls gave me a greater fear of mindflayers than I already had. Beholders are pretty great too.

Man, there are so many excellent creature designs, but I think Geiger's alien design has influenced so many of those that came after it I feel like it deserves top spot.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
OP you're absolutely right. Xenomorph is quite amazing in design. It has a neat life cycle too which is a cherry on top, with those designs being fantastic as well. Facehugger to chestburster to smaller xeno to big xeno, it's perfection.

The Terminator is great design for it's purpose.
source.gif
Great choice. I think Terminator is still a really terrifying movie and way more scary than T2.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Came to say these two. You really have to think out of the box nowadays to have something unique and both of these pull if off. I believe zygote is available as a compilation of shorts on Amazon but I don't remember the name.
The Oats shorts are all uploaded to YouTube on the official Oats channel, free to watch.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Xenomorphs will always be my favorite monster ever, and I love the designs in Bloodbourne, but I will always have a soft spot for the monster from the Host which is one of my favorite monster movies and movies in general.

latest

I just love the fish sitcking out of it (and that the hands are even made of fish) as it really adds to it's lore.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
"In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Alien 1979 got it right on first try, it's such a horrifying yet fascinating creature, from its design, life cycle, down to its movement. Really nothing comes close in terms of monster.

My Lord, how I wish Prometheus sent the franchise in a different direction to come full circle back to the 1979 movie...

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
redimensionar2.php

Let's be real.
Monster Hunter is where it's at.
Final Fantasy, tops.

Now, if we're talking weird alieny thing, there's no reason like they all need to look like octopuses.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
OP you're absolutely right. Xenomorph is quite amazing in design. It has a neat life cycle too which is a cherry on top, with those designs being fantastic as well. Facehugger to chestburster to smaller xeno to big xeno, it's perfection.

source.gif

OMG the little eyes lmao never noticed
The terminator in T1 will always be amazing for me not despite the limitation of the time, but because of them.
the stop motion of it, the fact that its running at a different frame rate that everything around it, does so much to emphasize the otherworldly nature of it despite it not being anything supernatural.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite sure if this counts as a monster, strictly? It did send me to a similar place Alien or The Thing did when watching it for the first time.

Forgot to say: This is Tetsuo from the manga Akira.

XL Hoodie

Oct 25, 2017
U.S.

source.gif

Came to post this. Only thing that even comes close to the Xenomorph.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Excellent shouts in this thread. All those Ritual mentions :) though I prefer the shot of it stood up half lost to the trees. Such a good film.

Anway rewatched Gantz 0 for the [ERROR] time last night so have some of these nightmare beasts.
Even though the real demons are the boob physics.

gantzO-6.jpg

gantzO-8.jpg

tumblr_pelg4rN97E1uh6im5o1_500.jpg

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Krampus, and how much work went into the monster designs. From the demonic yet festive elves, to the toys hiding terrible creatures inside them, to Krampus himself being a creature that basically wears a "mask" of Santa over his real face

krampus-2015-monster-tongue-review.jpg

Jun 18, 2018
Me and my partner are huge horror movie and monster movie fans, the other day we got into a discussion about what our favorite movie monsters and creatures are. We both ended up coming to the conclusion that the Xenomorph is the coolest monster from a design and aesthetic standpoint.

alien_1.jpg

But you're referencing the so-so A:R / AVP1 interpretation :( At least it isn't the awful AVP2 version

The first 3 takes on the Xenomorph are indeed fine beasts, although hampered slightly by what could be achieved to bring it to life on screen during the first 3 films. Alien: Isolation's artists deserves credit for tweaking the legs to be less humanlike whilst restraining from making any other changes to the creature.

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent shouts in this thread. All those Ritual mentions :) though I prefer the shot of it stood up half lost to the trees. Such a good film.

Anway rewatched Gantz 0 for the [ERROR] time last night so have some of these nightmare beasts.
Even though the real demons are the boob physics.

gantzO-6.jpg

gantzO-8.jpg

tumblr_pelg4rN97E1uh6im5o1_500.jpg

Any of the other Gantz films good? Saw this recently and really enjoyed it. Know nothing about the property.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
Classic Grey aliens always scared me the most as a kid.
morton4.jpg

Specifically when I was WAY too young I saw a TV movie called Alien Abduction: Incident at Lake County.

It was a found-footage style movie that I think predated Blair Witch, and I was so young I didn't really understand that it wasnt real. I think in between the found-footage parts they had Johnathan Frakes (Commander Riker) to host parts of it.
Want to freak me out? Give a monster a Lampery mouth.

sea-lamprey.jpg
i might have you both covered,the film version of stephen king's dreamcatcher

the big grey is what it wants you to see it as by psychicly projecting that image,it's really a huge version of the toothy worm thing

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Any of the other Gantz films good? Saw this recently and really enjoyed it. Know nothing about the property.
Unfortunately, Gantz is one of those things that has such a cool premise and art direction, but is just way too trashy and scummy for me to recommend anything from it other than the movie you've already seen. You're much better off just having your knowledge of the series be Gantz:O and nothing else.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Great choice. I think Terminator is still a really terrifying movie and way more scary than T2.
Came to post this. Only thing that even comes close to the Xenomorph.

I think Terminator and Alien share a lot of similarities. Both these mysterious otherworldly creatures that you can't really fathom who are making you their prey. Both movies share the same tension and structure almost. It's why I consider them better than their sequels because they are masterful in creating horror and tension without any kind of jump scares. They show why they are terrifying, and the sequels lost a lot of that by becoming action movies.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think Terminator and Alien share a lot of similarities. Both these mysterious otherworldly creatures that you can't really fathom who are making you their prey. Both movies share the same tension and structure almost. It's why I consider them better than their sequels because they are masterful in creating horror and tension without any kind of jump scares. They show why they are terrifying, and the sequels lost a lot of that by becoming action movies.

Absolutely. You're absolutely on point with both Alien and Terminator. Their sequels are amazing films and I love them, but they're also so widely different from the original that they could be something entirely different.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Hey, its the Blob from Inside
giphy.gif

While I wholeheartedly agree with the OP, you're literally the only person to say "Blob", so I hope you don't mind me using your post as springboard for an appreciation post of Chuck Russell's 80s reimagining.

MV5BYWIzYjFmZTAtNWMxZS00MmVhLTkyYmEtZjkzZWQwMzg0N2ZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

The film revels in its characteristic 80s schlock, but as far as its undeniable body horror inspirations are concerned, the hospital scene alone is just... delightful.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
"A perfect engine... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks."
jaws-1-e1561134543653.jpg

Last edited:

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I like the Xenomorph and all but the thing is I realized a while ago it's head looks like a penis/dildo and now I can't unsee it, which drops the scare factor by a lot for me.
thats literally the point lol
almost everything about the xenomorph and its lifecycle is a metaphor for rape
head look likes a dick
it fucks your face with its second mouth
the face huggers rape and impregnate you

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly loving this thread.

I wonder why shit like this is so energizing? lol

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Krampus, and how much work went into the monster designs. From the demonic yet festive elves, to the toys hiding terrible creatures inside them, to Krampus himself being a creature that basically wears a "mask" of Santa over his real face

krampus-2015-monster-tongue-review.jpg
This fucking thing is what I remember every time I think back to Krampus. It was amazingly terrifying.

maxresdefault.jpg

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, The Ritual wasn't as good as I hoped it would be :(
But the creature had a great design!

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
The first time you get a glimpse of that creature crossing the road in Xtro will forever be in my mind.

But I agree with the OP about the Xenomorph plus that manbearpig from The Prophecy mentioned above. I saw all of these in their hey day and they were memorable.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Holy fuck.

How's the game itself? Recommended?

Posting these images actually got me back into the game and I just completed it last night. Honestly one of the most rewarding, cohesive and fascinating game worlds I've ever played in.

Fair warning, it can be an extremely punishing and at times, unfair game that every player has to wrestle with. This is all deliberate design, however. The game creates this incredible feeling of complete isolation and hostility. Nature is fucking metal in this game and each creature is operating on its own dynamic schedule and hierarchy that creates some extraordinary emergent moments and terrifying unpredictability.

If you can overcome the frustration of the game, which I'll admit will test anyone's patience, it's simply incredible and there's absolutely nothing like it. It actually kind of pisses me off how dirty the media did this one.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Posting these images actually got me back into the game and I just completed it last night. Honestly one of the most rewarding, cohesive and fascinating game worlds I've ever played in.

Fair warning, it can be an extremely punishing and at times, unfair game that every player has to wrestle with. This is all deliberate design, however. The game creates this incredible feeling of complete isolation and hostility. Nature is fucking metal in this game and each creature is operating on its own dynamic schedule and hierarchy that creates some extraordinary emergent moments and terrifying unpredictability.

If you can overcome the frustration of the game, which I'll admit will test anyone's patience, it's simply incredible and there's absolutely nothing like it. It actually kind of pisses me off how dirty the media did this one.

Yeah, I researched it and the reviews were quite harsh on this one.

Still, those pics that you posted, wow, that's some really intense and seriously scary shit. Very eldritch. It intrigued me very much.