• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Given the choice...

• I'll turn it on.

Votes: 493 33.3%
  • I'll turn it off.

Votes: 988 66.7%

• Total voters

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Motion blur, film grain, chromatic abberation, depth of field, ALL OF IT can go directly into the trash. Why would I want to see things how my actual eyes sees it? Reality is flawed, our eyes are flawed, it all looks awful, games are meant to remove these and give a better picture of reality!

Also that really awful effect where looking at something bright darkens everything in your screen, it makes the lightning in Destiny 2 absolutely AWFUL and you cannot see a single thing in dark areas. It's better on PC though oddly enough. Horizon zero dawn has that issue too where the brightness is all over the place when I simply pan my camera over cause its blurring and darkening/relighting everything around me.
That's eye adaption and if you want realistic graphics you need it, it's not even about simulating eye behaviour but rather about removing the limitation of what the lighting engine can show without the textures losing detail to overexposure (white crush) or underexposure (black crush), unless you want the whole world to be dimly lit throughout which is unrealistic and also looks ugly. If you want to look at examples of games that don't have it then look at any of the old games without HDR lighting like some early PS360 games where the textures would lose all detail anytime there was anything even slightly bright or slightly darker than normal.

If I'm not wrong, basically it's not really possible to show areas lit by the brightest lightsource (sun/explosion) and areas that are completely unlit at the same time and have them both have the same level of clarity with the same intensity (or lackthereof), even with the range that HDR TVs provide. The game is essentially shown to you through a virtual camera, as such it has to follow the same rules as a real camera/eye when it comes to certain elements like these. So even if you don't want games to behave like eye, it pretty much has to do it the more realistic you make a game's graphics. That is my understanding ofcourse, unless I'm just talking pure conjecture.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Why are people saying that motion blur only helps to mimic movies?

Rapidly move your fingers in front of you. What do you see?

Motion blur helps mimic your own eyes.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only time I don't like motion blur is for certain screenshots... but usually if it's good per object motion blur I'll even keep it on for screenshots.

For SFV I have to turn it off for screen shots, but in motion I love it. It gives the game more fluidity. The console version actually hurts my eyes for some reason because it looks to juddery in between the frames of animation.

Best to click that HD button for 60FPS.

Most people hate it in SFV. I love it.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I like motion blur, but it can be turned up too much. For example, Uncharted 4. I was so grateful ND patched in the option to turn it down.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I always turn it off on 60+ fps. I'll usually leave it on at 30 unless the implementation is especially egregious.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It depends on the game, i think Source engine has the best motion blur alongside Doom 2016 & Crysis 1, then you got awful motion blur in games like Halo Reach, pls no.

Bishop

Nov 1, 2017
In 30fps games I need it because I can't stand the camera panning or big movements if there was no motion blur. It's a necessity for me in 30fps games. For 60fps on a PC I disable it because it serves no purpose to me. I only welcome it on 30fps console games because it needs it.

I also remove depth of field, never cared for it in games.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Motion blur and DOF is two thing I turn off first when turn on a game. Both of those option give me a bad migraine or headache.

Those and the other option in Bloodborne make it impossible for me to play that game for even 15mins

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
It only exists to make low framerates look smoother. It might be fine in racing games to give a sense of speed, but otherwise I just turn it off in anything I play.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I turn it off because I want to take screenshots. That's all.

Also, I don't like the old motion blur technique where the image of screen is just multiplied and smeared across with large fading delays, which is common on PS2,GC,Xbox gen games.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'll likely leave it on if it is per object motion blur, but camera motion blur is the worst along with chromatic aberration and film grain.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I generally love it, which is interesting because I detest pretty much every other post-processing visual effect (chromatic aberration, film grain, vignetting, etc).

I say generally because the motion blur effect was Godawful in Uncharted 4 and I ended up disabling it entirely.

q48QnBW.jpg

Nov 23, 2017
You wouldn't ask cartoony/anime looking games to stop using smears, to stop looking like hand drawn animation. So photorealistic looking animation benefits in the same way from motion blur.

Just imagine how ridiculous a helicopter looks like if you don't fake motion blur in some way. It's not about making games look like 24fps movies, it's about conveying fast movement that even high frame rate cannot translate.

At the end of the day, even 144hz is too slow for real life fast movements.
This. I dont think people really understand what they're talking about at all in this thread lol. How the fuck does motion blur ruin the game for you or make you sick? It's not that different than having it off.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Motion Blur, Chromatic Aberration, Film Grain, Vignette, Depth of Field and Lens Flare are the first things I look for in any game settings to turn off, I hate all these things.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I generally love it, which is interesting because I detest pretty much every other post-processing visual effect (chromatic aberration, film grain, vignetting, etc).

I say generally because the motion blur effect was Godawful in Uncharted 4 and I ended up disabling it entirely.

q48QnBW.jpg
that's a joke pic I hope.
I don't mind slight motion blur on 60fps games. most new games have the option to turn it down so I am ok with it.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I usually turn it off or midway like in Uncharted 4.

I'm curious what motion blur setting people use on Metro Exodus on consoles. I put it on Low on the XB1X and it seems fine.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever turned it off, so if it's what the developer intended I would keep it on. :)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This. I dont think people really understand what they're talking about at all in this thread lol. How the fuck does motion blur ruin the game for you or make you sick? It's not that different than having it off.
To me, it suggests that some people must "process" visual information differently.
In the real world, I can track a moving object with my eyes to virtually eliminate motion blur. This is how you're able to read signs when inside a moving vehicle for example.
In a video game; not necessarily a racing game, but more likely a first-person one, the signs would often be completely blurred and you'd have to stop if you wanted to read them - or completely turn your view so that they are centered in it, since games don't do eye tracking.

When I am trying to look at an object, but the game is blurring my view because the camera is moving, that disconnect can trigger immediate motion sickness for me.
I think it's because my body doesn't feel like it's moving at all, but my eyes are telling me that I'm moving at a high speed. Or something like that.
That short Final Fantasy Type-0 video posted earlier immediately starts to make me feel motion sick.

Per-object motion blur is different, and when it's well-implemented it can enhance the visuals of a game - even though it does sometimes end up breaking the ability to track a moving object with your eyes.
There are some things which move so quickly that you cannot track them, and they will always be blurred - at least when viewed under flicker-free lighting. POMB is great at simulating this effect and is far more true-to-life than without it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
300 vote for liking motion blur ?
I thought this was something we agreed it sucks.

What's next? You all are gonna say Film Grains are better ??
Film grain can be fantastic when it fits aesthetics. Like alien isolation, evil within, outlast, resident evil, mass effect and so on

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It makes my eyes hurt.

I turn that garbage off in any game that lets me.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
144hz doesn't need motion blur . Try Forza Horizon again with 144hz