• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
So I went to my first family reunion and apparently my Grandfather followed my Grandmother home like a serial killer slowly in his car while catcalling. Then like a psychopath he knocks on the door when she gets home and tells her parents that he'll be over tomorrow for dinner because he's going to marry their daughter.

And she married him eventually, and thus my father and thus me wouldn't have born if my grandfather wasn't a creepy piece of shit. I'm really feeling awful for something I had nothing to do with.

Anyone else have any similar stories of regrettable relatives?

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
That's nasty. Did they at least end up kind of liking each other or is it just bad all around (if you don't mind me asking)?

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I went to my first family reunion and apparently my Grandfather followed my Grandmother home like a serial killer slowly in his car while catcalling. Then like a psychopath he knocks on the door when she gets home and tells her parents that he'll be over tomorrow for dinner because he's going to marry their daughter.

And she married him eventually, and thus my father and thus me wouldn't have born if my grandfather wasn't a creepy piece of shit. I'm really feeling awful for something I had nothing to do with.

Maybe that's her fetish

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
If it makes you feel any better, there is almost definitely some revolting pieces of shit in your ancestry for everyone ever, and people who've done a lot worse than what your grandfather did.

On a more personal level, my mom's father (my grandfather) is a worse piece of shit than your grandfather is. I've never met him, he was in jail when I was born. He's out now, but I'll never meet him and never call him family and he can die alone. I maybe wouldn't have existed without him, but he's not a part of my life and never will be without getting too deep into it. Know where you came from doesn't specifically make you who you are, you can't change what your ancestors did but you can change who you are to be better. And while I'm not trying to say being a creep is a good thing, just know it could be a lot, looooot worse, speaking from experience.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Most probably don't have to dig very hard to find questionable practices by men in their family. Being persistent is considered very normal.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Go back far enough in anyone's history and there are bound to be a lot of similar stories like this, I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
That's nasty. Did they at least end up kind of liking each other or is it just bad all around (if you don't mind me asking)?

I think they did, and my father wasn't a creep and my aunt was so badass she hitchhiked in the 60s from England to Italy to be with the man she fell in love with, with nothing but a knife hidden in her boot.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
And your great great great great great great great grandfather probably dueled somebody to the death for your great great great great great great great grandmother's hand in marriage. Cultural norms evolve over time.

A lot of people from the older generation would consider that an endearing story, despite it being completely unacceptable today.

Hayvic

Oct 27, 2017
My grandfather was 26 when he married my grandmother at 15. She gave birth to my oldest uncle when 16. Different times.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a silly thing to get worked up over, who is to say how much of your genetic make up even came from 1/4 of your grandparents. If it is was your own father that might be slightly distressing.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cro-magnons, neanderthals, and early humans devoured each other in acts of predatory cannibalism.

Don't worry about it.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of cultural fuckery in everyone's family tree. I'm white, you can only imagine how much weird fucking shit is in my history

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Like others have suggested, almost every human being on the planet probably has had equal or worse ancestors. We just aren't aware of the details after so long.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
So many of our grandparents or great grandparents married a high schooler when they were in today's college age. Many more had unhappy marriages that they couldn't escape due to divorce laws.

Too dark, but by that logic it's obvious many of us wouldn't be born without someone having raped someone in the (hopefully) distant past.

FoxyGanondorf

alt account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
It's what it is, you can't avoid having shitty people in your family line.

A few months ago a large cult was taken down in Mexico that specialized in molesting children (I can't remember the name of it for the life of me) and my grandpa boasted that he was one of the original founders of it. We didn't know what to make of it because my grandpa is 84 and if you talk to him about anything he'll say he had some part in it's inception so he's known to make shit up, but I know he for sure did some shitty stuff back in his hey day.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
I think we all probably have shitty relatives at some point in our family line.

My grandfather had two mistresses while married to my grandmother. She knew it and so did everyone in the village.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
My father left my mother before I was born.

And I never got the chance to meet him.

But that doesn't define who I am or what I can be. Neither should you feel bad about something that's out of your control.

What matters is this.

So what will your verse be?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched an old UK documentary the other night about a Newcastle gangster and the guy talked about how he used to bully and take his now wife's money when she was younger and the night they started the relationship he pulled her to his house by the hair... They've been together for 15+ years.

Crazy times.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
That stuff's always a weird thing to come across. I totally understand how uncomfortable it must make you feel.

I don't have anything specific, but I never really knew my maternal grandfather. I met him a couple of times, but he was always just a stranger I called "grandpa", nothing more. Mom never talked about him. When he died I only knew because I overheard her talking to my dad about it. We never went to the funeral. So...something went down there, but I don't really have any urge to find out.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
My parents met when my mom's friend crashed her car into the ditch outside his house. He walked outside and saw that they had both gotten out of the car, asked if they were okay and when they said yes, he responded "alright" and just went back inside.

A timeless love story, really.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not much you can do about it except to strive to a better person than him.

I'm not sure this indicates his grandad was a bad person by any stretch of the imagination.

Whether or not we think it's creepy now it clearly wasn't then, reminds me of the scene in it's a wonderful life when George is being a creep after the disco.

My grandad was about 10 years older than my grandma who was about 16 when they got together, till the day he died and beyond they were the most in love couple I've ever come across.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All of our ancestors did terrible things. There is murder, rape, and general depravity in all of human history. The magnitude of it used to be exponentially worse.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
This type of thing was pretty normal in my family a couple generations ago. Both of my grandfathers were abusive drunks. Both died before I was born.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
maxresdefault.jpg

Cant change the past OP

IanMacKenzie

Oct 20, 2018
I wouldn't be born if World War II didn't break out on the first of september. My grandmother was to enter the monastery on the first of September. She didnt and then she met my grandfather while he was digging trenches and the rest is history.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
Captain Picard's relative from 23 generations back murdered native americans in response to the pueblo revolt of 1680

Oct 27, 2017
I mean things were different in the past. For example my grandfather was like 23 and would wait outside of my grandmoms high school when she was 18 and eventually she started talking to him. Of course that's weird now but people pursued different in the 40's etc

even in the late 90's, early 2000's riding with your friends in you car and "catcalling" to honeys walking wouldn't be weird

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I think they did, and my father wasn't a creep and my aunt was so badass she hitchhiked in the 60s from England to Italy to be with the man she fell in love with, with nothing but a knife hidden in her boot.
soon youre gonna find out she held that knife up to his throat until he agreed to go out with her.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

this was considered romantic back then

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't do anything, everyone has terrible people in their past.

Hell, I'd say that's pretty tame compared to so many other stuff our ancestors did.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should just donate all your money to charity and move to Tibet to become a monk. Perhaps, over time, your existence can balance the travesty that was your grandfather.

My dad at age 40 saw my mom, who was 20, working the popcorn stand at a movie theater. He proceeded to watch over 40 movies in the course of two months so he could strike up conversations with her in hopes of her going on a date with him.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean things were different in the past. For example my grandfather was like 23 and would wait outside of my grandmoms high school when she was 18 and eventually she started talking to him. Of course that's weird now but people pursued different in the 40's etc

even in the late 90's, early 2000's riding with your friends in you car and "catcalling" to honeys walking wouldn't be weird

Catcalling was absolutely a dick move in the late 90's...

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Today, your Grandpa would have spent hours finding her on Insta (or not if he knew her from school/college/whatever), went through all of her pics, then liked some of then and eventually slid in her DMs with a "hi".

I doubt this method of pursuing girls will age well.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone has fucked up parts of their ancestry.

I learned that my great great great grandfather on my dad's side murdered his entire family except for sparing his one son and then killed himself.

Your bloodline shouldn't define you as a person. And you shouldn't feel culpable for sins of past generations in your family.

Yeah it's a pretty badass story.
She has a lot of persistence, your aunt that is.
Did she end up catcalling the man she fell in love with when she arrived in Italy? Was he aware she was doing this?
Just saying, your aunt might have taken this straight out of your grandad's notebook of creepyness.
Next thing you know she's inviting herself over for diner and he's been stuck with her ever since.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't do anything wrong OP.

My uncle is a piece of shit and I don't really want to associate with him.

I wouldn't be here if my grandmother hadn't run away from home.

Last edited:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't be here if my great grandfather didn't excel at murdering young Japanese men in WWII and meeting my great grandmother as he was leaving an alcoholics spiritual rehabilitation meeting after the war. At some point you just have to somberly acknowledge the many sins of your forefathers and commit yourself to passing on those learned lessons to future generations. I don't consider myself flawed in dangerous ways like my close ancestors but there's still a lot from my life that I hope my successors will look to as lessons of how NOT to do something.