• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
EDIT: This is just an update today (March 13), to hopefully uplift some people feeling down right now. See my post from today (threadmarked).

Kind of a long story, but I'll try to summarize.

I'm in Canada. It's getting cold.

Two nights ago, I'm sitting on my second floor balcony (with stairs leading up), having a smoke, and a a little kitty (probably 1 year old), walks up the stairs and starts cuddling up. I've seen this cat roaming around in the "courtyard" the last couple days, but figured it belongs to one of the other tenants. Regardless, it's taken a liking to me, and when I open the door to go inside it runs in ahead of me. I think it's cute, let it wander around a bit and then go to put it back outside.

Well, I'm outside again a couple hours later and it's up here again, and it's just standing by my front door now wanting to go in. This time I'm thinking, "It's getting late now, it's getting cold (below freezing temps) and maybe this cat doesn't actually live around here". So I go see the building manager and ask him if he knows if this cat belongs to anyone in the condo complex. He says he thinks it's a stray that a previous tenant took in and they just moved out and abandoned her. They weren't here for very long though, so we all thought maybe this cat belongs to somebody in the neighborhood. We say, "We'll look after her for the night and post some ads and try to find the owners." It's too late to call the shelter, but we post some Facebook ads on the "Lost and Found pets groups" and ads on the other free sites and eventually someone clues me into the fact that she might be chipped, so I should take her to a vet to check.

So I did that this morning and they managed to get ahold of the owners. Now, here's the part that makes me upset. I have to wait for the owner to show up to the vet clinic. Great, I understand. The vet's can't take in strays. The problem is the owner shows up, and literally barely says a word to me. Just takes the cat, puts it in her cardboard kennel and starts walking it out. No "Thank you for finding our pet", no emotional reunion. Just kind of like "Yeah, that's mine" and starts walking out. I try asking like "How long has she been gone?" "Oh, I don't know. A couple nights I think". Meanwhile, based on what I'm hearing from the building manager she's been in and around our complex for at least four or five nights, not to mention what he said about some other tenants taking her in. And again, it's getting COLD out here. Like this is a house cat. This cat's not going to make it outside in snowy weather. But the fact that there were no ads up searching for this lost kitty. No calls to the animal shelter saying she was missing...and no even remote sense of gratitude for us finding her, bringing her in from the cold, feeding her, literally buying a litter box, food and toys for her (for just two days).

I saw ads where people were offering upwards of $1000 rewards for having their pets returned. I don't want a reward. I don't want to even be reimbursed for the money we spent on food and litter for her. I'm just mad they didn't even post an ad looking for her. I'm mad that I may have sent this cat back to live in a home that doesn't even care about her. I don't know if I could have kept her either way, but I feel like I could have found a better home for her than that. Am I wrong in feeling this way? Or should I just be happy that I reunited this cat with her owners?

Come at me Era with all your "You're being selfish", and "You just wanted the money" shit. I just needed to get this off my chest. If you have a pet and you don't even know where it is for days at a time and you're not doing anything about it, you shouldn't own a pet. Period.

ZuqGsls.jpg

Last edited:

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
That pet owner is a bad person. Good job OP, you did the right thing.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
You ain't saying wrong OP. Some people are trash like that. Happens way more than you'd think and it honestly breaks my heart

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
You did what was up to you, and you did the right thing. The owner that picked the pet up might not seem like a great person, but maybe they have kids and they'll be thrilled to see their pet again. Who knows.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
You did a great thing OP. There are many shitty people in this world that have pets they have no business having.

OP
OP
Goldenroad

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You did what was up to you, and you did the right thing. The owner that picked the pet up might not seem like a great person, but maybe they have kids and they'll be thrilled to see their pet again. Who knows.

That's all I can hope. That she does have someone in that house that loves and was missing her.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'd probably feel the same way if I was in your shoes, OP. But you did what you thought was right, so try not to feel bad.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
goddamn :c

this hurts but you did the right thing op. if it comes by again, take it in this time.

maybe put out some kibble just in case

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
I wouldn't have given her the cat in the first place, tbh. If she wasn't happy about getting it back, I bet it'll just happen again. I would have had immediate Cruella flashes.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I would not be at all surprised if they """""""accidentally"""""" let the cat out and were pissed off that they had to come pick it up.

My wife has started volunteering at a rescue place for animals, and you wouldn't believe the shit reasons people have for giving up their pets... And that's people that are at least willing to bring them in instead of just letting them out in the neighborhood.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Don't mean to be harsh, but if you wanted the cat, why didn't you keep it?

If you didn't want the cat, then at least she has somewhere to go tonight. So you did well.

Don't feel too bad.

OP
OP
Goldenroad

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Don't mean to be harsh, but if you wanted the cat, why didn't you keep it?

Because a pet wants to be with it's humans.
It's not right to just take someone else's pet.
Imagine if your pet got away and someone found it and made no effort to get it back to you. I wanted the cat to get back to it's home more than I wanted the cat. Now I kind of just want a cat. lol

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
You did the right thing but I was hoping this story finished with you keeping the cat.

I always try to reunite pets with their owners because I love my cat to death and would hope they do the same.

I had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago where I found this dog walking around in the rain looking lonely. I had gone out for food late at night but gave him my food to keep him from walking into the busy road.

when I called the owner he just pulled up and then left. didn't say much other than thanks and dipped.

Idk, I would be head over heels appreciative for someone reuniting me with my friend.

you should get a cat tho, OP. Cats are great.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
OP I agree with you, I would angry as well. You did nothing wrong, the owner was definitely the horrible person in this.

The owner didn't even say anything to anyone in the vet clinic either? Staff?

OP
OP
Goldenroad

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Added picture to OP for proof. Look at that thing.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
If the owner is negligent as they seem they will probably let the cat slip out again. I would keep an eye out over the next few days and see if you see it and then take it in. Cats are smart and she now knows you'll let her in so I wouldn't be surprised if she's back.

Cat found again
OP
OP
Goldenroad

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Update: So, just a little added slap in the face. I wake up this morning, check Facebook, and I guess I'm still part of this Lost and Found Cats group, and guess who has been found again outside by another person last night. I literally got her back to the owners yesterday after she's been missing for god knows how long, and they go and lose her again.
I DM'd the person who found her and told her I'll come pick her up, but I'm very very hesitant about getting her back to her owners again. I think I'll keep checking FB and the other sites and if they report her lost and/or missing I'll return her, but if they can't be bothered to even go to that effort, I don't think I'll make any effort to get her back to them either. Does that sound about right?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Update: So, just a little added slap in the face. I wake up this morning, check Facebook, and I guess I'm still part of this Lost and Found Cats group, and guess who has been found again outside by another person last night. I literally got her back to the owners yesterday after she's been missing for god knows how long, and they go and lose her again.
I DM'd the person who found her and told her I'll come pick her up, but I'm very very hesitant about getting her back to her owners again. I think I'll keep checking FB and the other sites and if they report her lost and/or missing I'll return her, but if they can't be bothered to even go to that effort, I don't think I'll make any effort to get her back to them either. Does that sound about right?
Yeah...get the cat asap. I fear for his life now. Is there a law where it forbid you from adopting a chipped cat?

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland

Sounds good to me. I would do the same.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Legally it's their cat, but clearly this person doesn't care. It could get messy if they want it back one day and try to find it.

OP
OP
Goldenroad

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Legally it's their cat, but clearly this person doesn't care. It could get messy if they want it back one day and try to find it.

Like I say, if they even try to find her, I'll happily return her again, but if they aren't even going to try, then I don't feel that I'm in the wrong not trying to return her either.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Get the cat and don't return her imo. Don't even monitor the Facebook group. The current owners clearly picked her up from you and immediately ditched her, the cat isn't going to accidentally get lost again one night later.

If you up for it you would be a much, much better owner for this cat. The cat is going to end up out during the winter and may die.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
"lost"
Yeah no, they are trying to dump the cat and hoping it goes missing/dies. Had an aunt/uncle like that. Keep the cat.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Keep the cat. The owners clearly don't care for it.

Also, please post pics, and join Cat era

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
As I've gotten older, I've become more aware of the fact that people are often woefully unfit pet parents, and that I wish there were more rigorous standards in play when it came to acquiring pets. So many people have dogs that they don't research ahead of time, don't walk, and just treat like items that they don't have to acknowledge.

You did what you could, OP. If the cat gets out again, hopefully you'll consider just keeping it next time.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

Please keep the kitten. It sounds like they let her out.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Sounds like the owner dumped the cat and it backfired which makes me believe they'll dump it again in a different area next time but good job for being a good person OP.

Edit: They "let it out" again you say? Fuck them and keep the kitty OP.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Keep it. If the owner actually cares they will look for it, if they don't you did it a huge favour.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you need any advice or ha r any questions about welcoming a new cat to your household, feel free to drop by here:

www.resetera.com

CatEra |OT| Share your pics, read our tips, ask any questions OT

This is a thread by and for cat lovers! You can also find its sister, dog-themed thread here. CAT TIPS: Keep food and water as separate from each other as possible, because cats associate proximity of food with the fact that the water may be tainted (dead animals rotting in it), and tend to...

Lots of knowledgeable cat lovers in there. Reading the OP, in particular, is recommended if you're a first time cat owner.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Keep the cat if it likes you and you can provide a home. Definitely post more pics.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
My parents take care of a cat like that, it technically lives on the street behind them but the "owners" put it outside years ago, don't feed it and don't care about it at all. When my parents first saw it he was skinny and sickly and very scared but now 7 years later it stays at their house most of there time, where they feed it, let it inside, made it a heated bed in the garage for the winter and take him to the vet when needed.

You did the right thing OP and now that the cat is outside again, if you can get it I would keep it or find someone else who would treat it nicer than its owners do.

If I lost one of my cat and someone found it I'd be crying and a wreck when I would come to get it and I'd be thanking the person who found it a million times.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Keep her. She's adorable and will be a great companion.
Fuck the previous owners. As I said in an earlier post... I think they're intentionally abandoning her. Fuck 'em.