• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Play or Skip?

• Worth playing

Votes: 799 67.7%
  • Skip

Votes: 382 32.3%

• Total voters

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
DmC is the kind of Videogame DMC Dante would unironically find cool while the others make fun of him for that

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
It's not the worst, there's fun to be had there. Would avoid if you can't play it at 60fps+ though, which is one of the consistent complaints of the original release on last gen hardware.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
the franchise even makes fun of those who take it seriously, constantly
ConsciousLongCaecilian-size_restricted.gif
If you don't think moments like that aren't complementing the serious moments of the franchise , you have somehow missed the entire point of DMC or you have never played it before. Or I dunno, don't get how tonal shifts work to which, indulge in more media with differences in tone between parts. Its fun, and sometimes horrifying depending.

That gif you posted accidentally is actually the opposite of what you want too. Because the entire series is heavily implied dante is super fucking depressed, and that's how he dealing with it. And after that gif, he goes back to being fucking depressed.

Also your statement is kind of weird considering the people who make it seem to very much take it seriously. They just like having fun. You can two things ya know. Like DMC , where nero is having entire emotional story while dante whilist dealing with depression acts like a goofball untill he cant. But I supposed you missed that part

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deffo worth playing, and not a surprising result of the poll. Easily stands toe to toe with 5, and an even better game in some respects.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's got some great set pieces and world design. The combat is arguably a step back in many respects but I think the game moves you from set piece to set piece quick enough that it never becomes dull.

Also I think the story is surprisingly good and sort of wish it was canonical to the main series.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
the franchise even makes fun of those who take it seriously, constantly
ConsciousLongCaecilian-size_restricted.gif

And a few cutscenes later Dante and Nero are talking about fratricide/patricide because Dante doesn't think Vergil is redeemable at this point and how it falls to him to kill Vergil because "I can't have you go killing your old man". DMC does both serious and comedic in equal doses, it's why so many love it. DMC 4 Dante weighted more heavily towards the comedic since Dante's really just on clean up duty while DMC 5 Dante, outside of that gif and a few other points, leans more towards serious due to the fact that the entire back half of the game his motivation is "Kill my brother".

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get the "Dante is" side. Are the sociopath from Chronicle and whoever the kid in the hoodie is supposed to be cool?
Ninja Theory followed that part of the presentation by talking about how they were basing their game on Tyler Durden, a character who was inspired by the writer's attempt to use toxic masculinity to hide his homosexuality when he was closeted.

The comparisons that they mocked were largely things related to camp, as well as a movie about gay men.

The whole presentation reflected a pretty fucked up sense of what cool is.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That gif you posted accidentally is actually the opposite of what you want too. Because the entire series is heavily implied dante is super fucking depressed, and that's how he dealing with it. And after that gif, he goes back to being fucking depressed.

That's actually canon, from Kamiya and I think from Itsuno too. Dante is actually deeply scared and affected by the horrific things he experiences, but his outgoing persona is a way for him to deal with it emotionally.

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
That's actually canon, from Kamiya and I think from Itsuno too. Dante is actually deeply scared and affected by the horrific things he experiences, but his outgoing persona is a way for him to deal with it emotionally.

Well up until 5 he was sure he killed the only living family he had twice so that has to come with some trauma.

I think its time, 7 years later I can say that I have gotten over most of my hate for the game, since 5 came out and sold well, I still think its not as good as 3,4 and 5 but I will say this Aquila is fun ass weapon probably the best one in the game and DE making those color enemies not make you bounce and stop if you hit them with the wrong color.

I also think that story wise Virgil should not have been the final boss at all, he should have been playable in some sections during the last part of the game and then start building the feud in a sequel, its been a while but where Dante and Virgil aware that Sparda was still alive and just trapped in hell being tortured?

Finally shout out to the mustache MOD

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
If you don't think moments like that aren't complementing the serious moments of the franchise , you have somehow missed the entire point of DMC or you have never played it before. Or I dunno, don't get how tonal shifts work to which, indulge in more media with differences in tone between parts. Its fun, and sometimes horrifying depending.

Also your statement is kind of weird considering the people who make it seem to very much take it seriously. They just like having fun. You can two things ya know. Like DMC , where nero is having entire emotional story while dante whilist dealing with depression acts like a goofball untill he cant. But I supposed you missed that part
This.

They certainly did their best to make sure that DmC-Dante wouldn't be mistaken for a gay cowboy.
And they did a hell of job!

zaUBCnq.jpg

Absolutely nothing about this dude would appeal to the gay sensibility!

Nothing for those gays to latch onto here, no sir! This Dante is 100% for the ladies!

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
That hunk of a man certainly wouldn't be laughed out of a bar outside of Tokyo, no siree!
This franchise had to live under the crushing shame of a pretty loud, pretty fancy, pretty extra main character for too long (not that there's anything wrong with that). Luckily, good guy Tameem and his band of cool kids came along just in time to invent the Dante we all needed and deserved.

He would for sure be welcome in the normal--I mean straight--I mean not gay--bars in and around the Tokyo area.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Someone is going to make a character action game analyzing the kind of super depressed weirdo this genre seems to attract as its protagonists and antagonists and it will be horrifying.

Someone is gonna make EVA may cry and its gonna be screwed up

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
The characters and overall tone are so aggressively stupid, loud, and obnoxious that they're actually weirdly enjoyable as hilarious parodies of themselves, and I thought the game itself was pretty fun to boot. I'd recommend it if you're in for a wildly immature rollercoaster ride through some of the most extreme edgelord nonsense you've ever seen. This scene is a pretty good indicator of what you're in for with DmC, at least in terms of tone and content:

I don't understand people who got seriously offended by this scene.

Like, seriously offended.

I laughed my arse off when I first saw this scene.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I liked it. A lot of the criticized things where fixed in the DE.
Story is...baaad. To edgy. Like taken from a mid 00s british Emo Band concept album.
Gameplay is good. I liked the leveldesign with spliting the gameworld up.

If you can find it cheap: buy it, play it.
I played 1, 3, 4, DMC (Bayonetta1/2, still waiting to play DMC5)

I would Say 1<DMC<4/3
(yeah, i like the gameplay more in 4, but 3 has less rethreading and is a better package)

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
As someone that doens't really care about Devil May Cry in general and actively dislikes Dmc 4: Play it, it's fucking awesome.
Fantastic art style, very fun gameplay, amazing rhythm, story is too edgy for my taste but it's well told for the most part.
(bonus: the kill cams - when the game showd your last kill with a cool shot- is probably the best I've ever seen in a game, it's usually very janky and the physics get weird, the ones on Dmc are stylish and not janky at all.)

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Man Vergil is so cool/goofy in DMC 5 holy shit, still cant believe they made him an extremely lame fedora wearing redditor in DmC

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
from someone who has played 4 and 5, and never really liked devil may cry series at all, i think DmC is the best game of the 3 i've played

May 15, 2019
He commits mass murder in DMC5 and no one really cares for it (holy cow, what a bad plot that game has).
This really bugs me and I wish they'd addressed it in 5 itself. I assume they would if they brought back Vergil in a DMC6, but the way they just totally gloss over how many innocent people died because of him sucks. Just felt like fanservice overriding the story.

I also hate how DMC5 lifted DmC's idea that women's only role in a story is to be damsels in distress for the dudes to save and to occasionally give them information after. In general 5's story was pretty whack outside of how it handled the V/Vergil relationship and the stuff with Nero at the end, even though he's really the one ignoring what Vergil did.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
He commits mass murder in DMC5 and no one really cares for it (holy cow, what a bad plot that game has).

The difference is that DMC5 doesn't take its plot seriously. DmC does. It's a terrible game on all aspects: visuals, gameplay, plot, music. It's also part of dark era for Capcom when they thought that the solution for them was to adapt to a market by imitating its worst parts.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
DmC tried to be edgy and tryhard with lame ass jokes and shitty ass characters and at the same time they also wanted to have a "mature and serious" story.

DMC 5 for comparison is corny but at least they are self-aware and characters don't try too hard to be funny with forced jokes.

DmC in 2013 was trash, having a DMC game at 30fps was a joke, the Definitive Edition was SO MUCH better.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good action game wrapped in garbage. I don't see how anyone could like anything else in it unless they were in their teens or something.