• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Play or Skip?

• Worth playing

Votes: 799 67.7%
  • Skip

Votes: 382 32.3%

• Total voters

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Best DMC game by a country mile, only DMC4SE comes close.

Also love love love its cutscenes and story. Boss battles are amazing. People rip on it because it deviates a lot from what's expected of a DMC game, and I love it for doing exaclty this.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I'm probably crazy but as a DMC outsider I had far more fun with DmC than DMC5. The latter just seemed to be corridor/arena/corridor/arena etc and then unsuccessfully fight the same Demon over and over with a different character.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay wise, its servicable. Its no where near as good as normal DMC , but its like an ok character action game. The level design on a visual level very neat , very colorful something that DMC often isn't and i actually prefer the use of very vibrant colors in DmC.

The story, character's the actual navigation of said levels. And the pace of the game itself, garbage. And some how comes off far more sexist than the normal series. Which is...impressive.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Story is garbo, but then again, if you are taking the Devil May Cry series' story seriously, you're doing it wrong
I would argue that you are doing it wrong.

The story and character are why I think a lot of people play these games. If the characters weren't endearing and you weren't into thier bullshit. People wouldn't engage with them. The characters and what they are doing tend to be a selling point. Its why I don't think the DmC game did as well as the others. The characters were garbage

Nov 1, 2017
Seems like a lot of people hate DmC for being a "reboot" of the Devil May Cry series when (to my understanding) it was meant to be it's own thing.

I would've loved two continuous takes on the franchise. Oh well.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
It was extremely cringey. I also disliked how they rewrote Dante's origin and wrote angels into the DMC mythos when a common theme throughout the series has been that the closest things the world has to angels are just more demons (Mundus, the Order of the Sword's experiments, Fortuna's view of Sparda).

The gameplay was fine, but it sits comfortably below the rest of the series (minus DMC2).

I would argue that you are doing it wrong.

The story and character are why I think a lot of people play these games. If the characters weren't endearing and you weren't into thier bullshit. People wouldn't engage with them. The characters and what they are doing tend to be a selling point. Its why I don't think the DmC game did as well as the others. The characters were garbage
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I feel like there's this very common mindset that if a story doesn't have some clever social commentary, or it doesn't have a tormented main character, or if the antagonist isn't just as relatable as the protagonist, that it's not a good story. But DMC (particularly 3) has so much great stuff, like the great characters you mentioned, or Dante and Vergil's dynamic (and by extension, Dante's growth), the relationship between Mary and Arkham and how that ultimately ends... the list goes on. Sure, it's by no means ground-breaking, but it's solid.

Ironically, this is probably why DmC failed. They tried too hard to punch above their weight in the storytelling department, and ended up neglecting the things that the series had done so well: keeping the story simple, making fun and memorable characters, and sprinkling in great moments. I'll never forget when the writers of DmC described their own game as "Shakespearian."

It's no Red Dead Redemption or The Last of Us, and it has its share of flaws (it's certainly not perfect), but to disregard the thematic elements of this series is just ignorant.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Unlike 5, DmC actually has art and level design

"Actually has art"

8F43EDCDE760397A804A1F54C351CA91B2A48F3A

BFECC0EE4D2D7B097DBB654DCCCE818BDBE14CE5

8AA310DDACE031D8E63E5D6D307A5CAA64351B96

09c9f058379c827f5de97bdfe220eb68.png

dmc-5-secret-mission-1-2.jpg

5c80e74da7a7eedabf85d378_3.jpg

z002ljdfrrl21.jpg

PRO_001.jpg

PRO_000.jpg

Way to piss on hundreds of developers who spent years on this

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Seems like a lot of people hate DmC for being a "reboot" of the Devil May Cry series when (to my understanding) it was meant to be it's own thing.

It absolutely WAS meant to replace DMC. Unless you think they'd fund two completely separate continuities when they won't even do that for Resident Evil.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
It's a good game that featured nothing that made me a fan of the DMC series. The humour wasn't the same, the gameplay wasn't the same, and the characters weren't the same. It literally just didn't have the things that made me a fan of the series to start with so I didn't like it. But it did do what it tried to very well.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Combat is surprisingly good. Graphics were good as well for it's time. Everything else is trash-tier. Story, characters, dialogue, level-design, all these shitty grapple-hook-sections, the boss fights ... Skip and play 3,4 and 5 instead.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
If you absolutely have to play it, play the definitive version (or whatever it was called) as it had a ton of quality of life changes for the better as I understand it.

But really, just play DMC5 some more haha.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It was extremely cringey. I also disliked how they rewrote Dante's origin and wrote angels into the DMC mythos when a common theme throughout the series has been that the closest things the world has to angels are just more demons (Mundus, the Order of the Sword's experiments, Fortuna's view of Sparda).

The gameplay was fine, but it sits comfortably below the rest of the series (minus DMC2).

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I feel like there's this very common mindset that if a story doesn't have some clever social commentary, or it doesn't have a tormented main character, or if the antagonist isn't just as relatable as the protagonist, that it's not a good story. But DMC (particularly 3) has so much great stuff, like the great characters you mentioned, or Dante and Vergil's dynamic (and by extension, Dante's growth), the relationship between Mary and Arkham and how that ultimately ends... the list goes on. Sure, it's by no means ground-breaking, but it's solid.

Ironically, this is probably why DmC failed. They tried too hard to punch above their weight in the storytelling department, and ended up neglecting the things that the series had done so well: keeping the story simple, making fun and memorable characters, and sprinkling in great moments. I'll never forget when the writers of DmC described their own game as "Shakespearian."

It's no Red Dead Redemption or The Last of Us, and it has its share of flaws (it's certainly not perfect), but to disregard the thematic elements of this series is just ignorant.
People don't think about the amount of video design passes, animation passes the lore the visuals of the world ect play into characterizing the world and its characters. That they are in many ways still experiencing it and engaging with it without it being " super serious" even with characters that don't talk in some cases.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Amazing art, amazing music (Noisia!), excellent gameplay (though not QUITE up to the level of the mainline DMC games, still well above most others)

It's DIFFERENT from the other games as far as tone and characterization go, but the negative reputation some fans have given it is way overblown if you ask me

If it had released as it's own product without the DMC name attached to it, I think it would be held up there as one of the best character action games imo

bobliefeld

Jan 30, 2019
I thought it was considerably better than DMC4 and 5. I haven't played 1-3 since the PS2 days so no comment on those.

I understand the Capcom developed games have a bit more depth so they might be better for people who want to learn everything and absolutely rinse the games. I just play through these things once or twice though and DmC was on another level. I didn't even make it through DMC5, for me it's well presented but a bad, boring game.

I played DmC on PC at 60fps though. I don't think it'd be very enjoyable at 30fps. I'm also not particularly invested in the story or characters of the Capcom DMC games.

A lot of people seemed to be upset with the change of visual/story direction and choice of external developer. I remember conspiracy theories about the guy in charge at Ninja Theory making Dante look like him etc.. I know fans deny it but I'm sure a lot of people were already set on hating it before playing it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was considerably better than DMC4 and 5. I haven't played 1-3 since the PS2 days so no comment on those.

I understand the Capcom developed games have a bit more depth so they might be better for people who want to learn everything and absolutely rinse the games. I just play through these things once or twice though and DmC was on another level. I didn't even make it through DMC5, for me it's well presented but a bad, boring game.

I played DmC on PC at 60fps though. I don't think it'd be very enjoyable at 30fps. I'm also not particularly invested in the story or characters of the Capcom DMC games.

A lot of people seemed to be upset with the change of visual/story direction and choice of external developer. I remember conspiracy theories about the guy in charge at Ninja Theory making Dante look like him etc.. I know fans deny it but I'm sure a lot of people were already set on hating it before playing it.

I mean, the new story is a mess, the characters are horribly written, virtually none of the metaphors they try so hard to hit you over the head with actually work in practice...

It's just a bad take on the DMC series, conceptually. DMC isn't exactly deep or anything, and it's generally a very dumb franchise, but at least it's a fun kind of dumb, compared to Ninja Theory's ham-fisted attempt at social commentary.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
DmC is a significantly better game (and DMC game) than 5. DMC5 is exceptionally mediocre from the horrible and repetitive environments, to the terrible forced character gameplay. Good combat can only go so far, and 5 fails in every other aspect IMO.

bobliefeld

Jan 30, 2019
I mean, the new story is a mess, the characters are horribly written, virtually none of the metaphors they try so hard to hit you over the head with actually work in practice...

It's just a bad take on the DMC series, conceptually. DMC isn't exactly deep or anything, and it's generally a very dumb franchise, but at least it's a fun kind of dumb, compared to Ninja Theory's ham-fisted attempt at social commentary.

I had a lot of fun with DmC, some fun with DMC4 and very little fun with DMC5. That's my only metric, fun. As you said, they're all very dumb. I guess I have a little more tolerance for DmCs particular brand of hollywood dumb.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
the franchise even makes fun of those who take it seriously, constantly
ConsciousLongCaecilian-size_restricted.gif

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
DMC and DmC fans are a crying shame ololol

Look at all that gray.

As if half this thread isn't people pissing on Ninja Theory's developers who spent years on DmC.

Except this thread is full of praise for the combat, art direction, level design, etc etc.

I'll never forget when the writers of DmC described their own game as "Shakespearian."

No offence, but apparently you did forget bc the person who said that was Lilith's voice actress, lol.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

DmC was always intended as a reboot. It was never intended to be its own thing or an alt universe. The reboot terminology was in use from day 1. Itsuno restated that point a few years ago. That had DmC sold better, it might've replaced the old series. Talk about it being an alternate universe came about later during the PR cycle, and has since DmC came out taken form of its own as a sort of revisionism.

Sure, if you just completely ignore the same people in every DmC thread who are doing literally the exact opposite of that.

Sure, they are. And there are also tons of people praising it. As many, if not more. There's no need to ignore the former to plainly see that. In fact, many of the critical posts contain praise as well. This is probably one of the more positive and more civil DmC threads on the forum so far.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
DmC was always intended as a reboot. It was never intended to be its own thing or an alt universe. The reboot terminology was in use from day 1. Itsuno restated that point a few years ago. That had DmC sold better, it might've replaced the old series. Talk about it being an alternate universe came about later during the PR cycle, and has since DmC came out taken form of its own as a sort of revisionism.

Right on. This is honestly the first I'm hearing of it being a reboot, because, like you said, I always read it was an alternate universe type thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Half the game takes place in a demon tree. It's not specific examples when half the game looks like that. The other half looks like this:

Devil-May-Cry-5-Screenshot-2019.03.11-13.03.08.79.jpg

Devil-May-Cry-5-Screenshot-2019.03.08-16.09.54.67.jpg

DMC5-Demo-Walkthrough-3.jpg

Devil-May-Cry-5-Screenshot-2019.03.11-10.39.42.42.jpg

latest

latest

It's fine not to like it but boiling it down to "CoD with tendrils" is dumb.

These pictures reminded me that I loved the environments in the first part of DMC5; was not as big a fan of the later demon tree levels (although they didn't ruin the game for me like it did for others).

As for DmC, I actually didn't like the saturated colors of DmC all that much. The bosses were abysmal...well all of the characters were abysmal really. And combat lacked that special sauce that the mainline games had. It was an okay game, but a huge step down. I'm glad it didn't kill the series and that DMC5 was allowed to happen, and that Ninja Theory was able to move on and make something more of their own speed (Hellblade, although I wasn't a big fan of that either lol).

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The characters and overall tone are so aggressively stupid, loud, and obnoxious that they're actually weirdly enjoyable as hilarious parodies of themselves, and I thought the game itself was pretty fun to boot. I'd recommend it if you're in for a wildly immature rollercoaster ride through some of the most extreme edgelord nonsense you've ever seen. This scene is a pretty good indicator of what you're in for with DmC, at least in terms of tone and content:

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
As an avid DMC fan, its not bad at all. DE let you get some nice combos in and I enjoyed the style. I'd rank it above most the action game genre, but it doesn't cross the border to great.

But its a far cry from 3SE, 4SE, and I assume 5.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
Dante looks so hot in it; for that reason alone the game is worth playing and remembering.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get the "Dante is" side. Are the sociopath from Chronicle and whoever the kid in the hoodie is supposed to be cool?
The Chronicle image is supposed to say "This is a superhero story more grounded and real than the flashy and flamboyant Batman & Robin". Never mind they also try to say DmC is cool like Tyler Durden and that DMC Dante is a gay cowboy...for some reason?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get the "Dante is" side. Are the sociopath from Chronicle and whoever the kid in the hoodie is supposed to be cool?

It was from art director Alessandro Taini's GDC talk about the art direction. It was part of the explanation of how they approached it stylistically.

www.youtube.com

The Art Direction of DmC Devil May Cry

In this 2013 GDC session, Ninja Theory visual art director, Alessandro ""Talexi"" Taini, discusses how fashion, music, architecture and art influenced Ninja ...

Right on. This is honestly the first I'm hearing of it being a reboot, because, like you said, I always read it was an alternate universe type thing.

They stopped talking about it partway through the PR cycle because of the backlash. With it being 7 years since release and DmC itself having sort of faded from the discussion, it's the sort of thing that's been forgotten.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people assume color = good art direction and dark/muted colors = bad art direction.

The only thing a game needs to be is interesting to look at.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
DmC should've been a current gen game. Last gen tech and UE3 did not do DmC's visuals any favors. The surreal neon dream realm the concept art aspires to comes across as garish, empty and flat in the actual game.

Last edited: