• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Play or Skip?

• Worth playing

Votes: 799 67.7%
  • Skip

Votes: 382 32.3%

• Total voters

runlikehell

Oct 26, 2017
The only people who say this game's combat is better than the mainline series are those who struggle with it. I'm al for more accessibility but the combat is so watered down it's pathetic. SSS ranks are so easily achieved that it's insulting.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The PC version is a lot better than the OG console version. Also, DE was made mostly from PC mods (no joke), so you can definitely get it most of the way there.

Definitely not. The mods referenced were turbo, lock-on, ability to attack color enemies with any weapon, multiple Angel Evades, and faster Rainstorm. There's a butt load of changes in DE beyond that that a modded PC version won't cover half of it, most notably the new modes and the myriad of changes to the game balance (esp. the final boss).

Last edited:

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's an ok to mediocre game. Not much worse than the mainline titles to be honest. The series peaked at 3 and was never that good imo.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The PC version is a lot better than the OG console version. Also, DE was made mostly from PC mods (no joke), so you can definitely get it most of the way there.
Not really. You can get turbo and remove stance-specific enemies with some .ini notepad edits, but just about every other DmC gameplay mod that inspired mechanical changes in the DE is basically lost to time.

I'd link you to the patch notes to emphasize how many more changes were made in DE that go past the scope of DmC's PC mods, but even the direct link to the patch notes for DE doesn't even work anymore.

Last edited:

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
People like to give it shit, but after binging through the entire series in order last year, I'd say it's 3rd best to 4 and 5.
1 is interesting for it's level design, but has pretty bad combat.
2 is probably the most worthless sequel in existence and is no different to not existing all together.
3's level design is a bit of a mess, and Dante's characterisation is kinda all over the place, story pretty meh too.
4 felt like the first game to truly be the full package, even if the second half is a copout.
5 is just pure fan service in its full glory (actually features every character for once) and is fucking great except it's level design is far to linear and sucks.

Really though, Dante's characterisation is a mess and far from consistent over the entire series. I really didn't think DmC's rendition was so far-fetched and awful. It may even have the most comprehensive story in the series lmao, I feel like I learnt more there than in the main series.

JohnDamien

Oct 29, 2017
I liked the game. It is not nearly as good as DMC5, but it is still worth playing. What I absolutely love is the music. I am a huge Combichrist Fan an the soundtrack was even the reason why I played the game in the first place.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
It's a Ninja Theory game so it's average. Got some play because it did some fun gimmicks with bosses, but feels like a big swing and miss to me.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
We're not currently aware of any qanon followers being involved with this game so it has that going for it.

As many have probably already said the PS4 & X1 versions of this game are great because those versions tighten up the mechanics. It's a game that's definitely worth checking out.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Truth^ The fact people praise this game's ultra edgelord story/writing and it's 'level design' which is basically cranking the saturation up to 11 and braindead busywork platforming is incredible to me.

Thank god DMC5 cut all that fat and just made levels straight to the point, all about combat.
Basically how I feel, lol. DMC5 keeps combat at the forefront, where it belongs. And like I've said before, it has plenty of variety for what it is. Nero and V visit a lot of damn cool places in the city.

DmC's level design doesn't enhance what actually matters, which is gameplay. What it does do is insert distracting background elements and waaaaaay too much platforming. Linear traversal sequences where the environment freaks out at you is kind of not at all what we're looking for in a series about deep satisfying combat and wacky demon hunters.

Thank goodness DMC5 didn't take level design inspiration from a bunch of exploding hallways with a Juicy filter.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It was a pretty good action game, the best coming out of a western studio by a mile.
I basically hated its existence until the definitive edition and further relaxed on it when I learned it wasn't a replacement for the series I loved anymore.
Sounds childish, it probably was, but that's being passionate about a thing does to me sometimes. :P

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The general consensus is that it's a fun and enjoyable experience. The response from the diehard DMC fan base was/is incredibly hyperbolic.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Not good at all and a skip.

Honestly surprised anyone could forget about DmC here given how much people talk about it here. I read more about it on Era than I did for years after playing it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It was a pretty good action game, the best coming out of a western studio by a mile.
I basically hated its existence until the definitive edition and further relaxed on it when I learned it wasn't a replacement for the series I loved anymore.
Sounds childish, it probably was, but that's being passionate about a thing does to me sometimes. :P
It's reasonable enough to feel protective of a great series when a studio and a game director come along and gaslight the fanbase repeatedly as a marketing strategy, claiming the series was never good, but don't worry, they'll improve everything and save us from our own bad taste!

And then they release a tasteless unpolished game with watered down mechanics, straight up worse combat design, and an obnoxious shallow tone that seems primarily aimed toward disaffected edgelords who struggle with action games.

And then game journalists and series newcomers further gaslight fans by saying we're just mad about the hair.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's reasonable enough to feel protective of a great series when a studio and a game director come along and gaslight the fanbase repeatedly as a marketing strategy, claiming the series was never good, but don't worry, they'll improve everything and save us from our own bad taste!

And then they release a tasteless unpolished game with watered down mechanics, straight up worse combat design, and an obnoxious shallow tone that seems primarily aimed toward disaffected edgelords who struggle with action games.

And then game journalists and series newcomers further gaslight fans by saying we're just mad about the hair.

Yeah, maybe it is. I really just didn't want to get into that conversation again.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I played the PC version and the gameplay's simple, but it's mostly fine. I liked how it controlled, and the little bits of interactivity with the environment added to the overall experience. Devil May Cry games often are pretty hallway-y, and so it was nice to see them trying a little harder here. Hated all the QTE chase sequences though. I often struggle to "read" those scenes, not knowing what's expected of me. Sometimes something looks like it should work fine, but it doesn't for arbitrary cutscene reasons. Sometimes I'm trying the right thing, but wasn't skilled enough to pull it off. When you can't tell the difference between those two, all those sections feel like you're banging your head against the wall, and it's some of the worst feelings to have in the medium. Several times I had to look at a Youtube video to see if what I as trying was the right thing. It's far from the only game that has this, so you'll probably know ahead of time if this'll be an issue for you.

The big problem of the game though is its presentation. It is very "I'm 14 And This Is Deep", and combines it with a level of abrasiveness that makes it utterly obnoxious. The game tries to make really milquetoast commentary in simple ways, and somehow still feels the insatiable need to explain what it was doing, usually by slathering giant words over the levels. If I didn't know better, it would have thought it was a parody of punk. Pretty much all the characters are unlikable when they're introduced, and they were unlikable when when the credits rolled. Speaking of credits though, the game ends with one of the devs(?) flipping you off, because that's the vibe they were going for.

The game's regularly available for cheap, so there's no harm in checking it out if you're interested. I'd keep the skip cutscene button in mind though.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It was part of that weird phase of capcom where they were trying to make everything appeal to westerners.

They miscalculated when they chose DMC. They tried rebooting it when it was still a very relevant series. Fans came for the gameplay first and foremost, and for all it's faults, DMC4's was the best the series had played at that point.

And worst of all, its story was not closed. 4 left so many questions open.

Funnily enough, DmC's lack of success gave us the character-action-perfection that is DMC5. It was the deepest combat system of any action game, it's story answered so many questions, and brought back fan favourites.

DMC5 is the love letter to fans that DmC absolutely was not.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I really, really love it. It's one of my favorite DMC games.
I especially love the aesthetics, some awesome level design in that game.
Still think it's a shame it was a one-off thing.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I love it. It's certainly aged better now that we actually have the mainline franchise continuing too so there's less ill will involved. I wouldn't ever play the vanilla versions again though since the Definitive Edition fixed nearly all of my (non-narrative related) issues with the original release.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's interesting cause in DmC, this Dante actually grows up a lot. Sure many might not notice it, but I felt like he's a different character in the end which shows in the final battle.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good game. Possibly my second favorite game in the series after DMC3.

DMC5 was great, but V's (the character) combat and the level designs after chapter 8 sucked.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth playing the definitive edition if you're on console or the modded PC version (definitive edition wasn't released on PC).

It's definitely not as good as DMC4 or 5, but you can tell the developers real had their heart in it and tried, even if the result isn't quite what I'd want from the series and is a bit regressive IMO.

I've heard bad things about the original's quirks that were fixed in the DE, so avoid the original if possible.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was a terrible game that not even Capcom could salvage during development, and that it took till this gen for it to be somewhat playable and decent (but still terrible for other reasons).

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't support a dev team who was very homophobic/made homophobic comments if you were mad about the character design.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I can't think of any game treated more unfairly than DmC. It is a pretty decent game, containing probably the best combat engine outside of Japan ever.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
the music was cheesy, but except for that, it was a surprisingly good game. sad to see how people ripped on that game back in the day.
it was also a bit unfortunate, when this game was not 60fps back, when it was released.
despite that, a superb game, and easily as good as dmc 3-5.

i only played through dmc3 on hard, everything else was played through on normal, so iam no hardcore fan with doing combo-videos and such.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't do anything well. Like even its best boss fights (Barbas) are just visually interesting but still not fun.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the better western action games you can play but still pretty bad overall compared to...any DMC game aside from 2.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its one of few games I'd give a 1 out 10. Largely because dmc is supposed to be about the combat and it got literally everything wrong in that aspect. It also retcons major lore aspects so butchers the story. Its only redeeming factor is some mildly interesting settings here and there but with the moment to moment gameplay being so abysmal it doesn't do enough to earn a point back.

My genuine take at the time of playing it was that they must have intentional deviated from the formula as much as possible for the sake of it, as its hard to miss the mark that bad. But over time I realised essentially they just made Heavenly Sword again with Dante. And tbh of the 4 games of theirs I've played, combat has always been trash. I dont think it's their strong suit historically.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Well, I enjoyed it a LOT more than DMC5, which is all I am going to say. I am by no means a DMC fan, though...

I find that those who play Devil May Cry games a set of combat challenges, loosely joined together by a story enjoy DmC more.

This is the category I fall into, although I've played every game in the series the elements outside of the moment to moment action never meant much to me so it's easier to appreciate DmC for what it is, a very tight controlling and we'll structured take on the character action genre.

For those more invested in the lore and characterization of Danté and Vergil despise DmC and it makes sense. It wasn't made by the original Japanese Devs and the sole purpose was to subvert all of the expectations long time players had about this character. Of course this would alienate the most invested players.

At its core which for me is the gameplay, the act of building combos, the enemies you fight and the moment to moment challenges it's the second best DMC game behind 3, then there's quite a gap before we even start talking about the massively overrated 5.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
As a DMC game, it treads on some neat ideas (the morphing stages and some pretty unique presentation here and there) but was ultimately squashed by a myopic vision of chasing western interests, a bad initial console and pc release (that only got fixed on a ps4 rerelease), awful writing and a campaign that seemed to love antagonize its fanbase with some incredible homophobic at the time. And while it had some flair, it cruelly lacked some of the earlier DMC depth and creativity that made the end-game more annoying to deal with.

As a game itself, it's mostly fine to great in the early stages. It has some great presentation, fun ideas and was honestly a really good effort of a character action game coming out of a western developer. However I do feel it's a game that got consistently weaker as it went on. Not dramatically so, but later weapons would just feel rather bland and lack some flash. The story, while a nice remix of "They live", kinda fails to go beyond the initial derivation and just lands flat as they tried desperately to please both new and core DMC fans (Vergil's sudden heel turn that goes against his whole characterization in the same game is baffling).

Far from a wretched time, but at least play the definitive edition.

Also the Vergil DLC campaign is just bad with the most flaccid divekick in history