• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
But it is one of the greatest games of all time, 3DS or not. I've never encountered someone who has said, "Man, KIU is one of the best games of all time... but it's not on Wii U, so actually not really."

I want a console port with revised controls as much as anyone who knows how impossibly special and heads-and-tails above most everything else KIU is, but even if it never gets a second chance at life outside the 3DS, it's still one of the greatest games ever.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I hate threads like this. You know why? Because it just made me go out and order the game on eBay to give it another shot whereas before this thread, KIU was a distant memory. LOL

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see a thread like this, I'm reminded that I should do another playthrough of this game.

Oh, and you're right OP, but I didn't need a console version to think it's one of the greatest games ever made. I already do.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
KI:U was crazy good.

2 glaring problems that hold it back for me (besides the controls, which I thought were ok) are the frequent unskippable segments where you're not doing anything but listening to dialogue, which makes replays of the game kinda meh, and the weapon system. Both multiplayer and higher difficulty singleplayer relies too heavily on having a good weapon more than player skill. And getting good weapons is grindy and confusing.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean are we not counting handhelds as mobile?

And if not, why?
Why would I? The only similarity is that both don't require a TV/monitor. The games on each platform are fundamentally designed differently by control options alone. The fact that handheld games usually had to get their own separate category in GOTYs from console/PC games is already bullshit; adding mobile to the pool like both are lesser brothers that work the same is even worse.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played it, but I've seen so many people say how this is one of the best Nintendo games they ever made and one of the best games they've ever played.

I could believe this

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Iwata pitched the development of a brand new game to Sakurai (in 2008) solely for the upcoming 3DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, hell, the entire project of a non-Smash title developed by Sakurai wouldn't have existed without the 3DS.

Both the base concept of the game and the hardware are so intertwined (for better or for worse) that it seems silly to imagine a "what if" scenario.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is a stupid take. No one would have played this game if it was on the Wii U. A big reason you're even making this thread about KiU's greatness is because it has proved itself on the 3DS.

Oct 27, 2017
I really couldn't manage either the controls on the 3ds, so never finished it, would be nice to experience it where it isn't hurting my hands, anyone emulated it and does it control ok emulated?

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
It's one of the greatest games of all time already as far as I'm concerned, and it probably would have bombed on the Wii U so it's hard for me to agree with your take to be honest, OP. In the end I'm sure more people were able to appreciate it in the way it released.

That said I agree that it deserves some kind of remaster, and I'm sure it could be appreciated by even more people that way since I realize the controls bothered a decent amount of people. Put it on Switch.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Kid Icarus: Uprising is my favorite 3DS game and one of my all-time favorites. I beg to the Nintendo gods every single day for a Switch remake. Or a sequel. Or both.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It should have released on Wii with pointer controls imo
THIS.
The awkward control scheme was what you obtain if you try to cram a Wiimote + nunchuck control scheme on a portable.
If this game was published on the old Wii, it would be considerated a masterpiece at the same level of the two Mario Galaxy. Instead...

If Kid Icarus: Uprising was a WiiIU game then it would have bombed like 80% of the system's library.
Sadly, also this.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the controls worked pretty well in the flying sequences but yeah, the on foot controls put me off from the game. I really liked what it was doing, I just didn't enjoy the controls. It's a shame.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It is a tailor-made 3DS game, though - be it the level design that has to acomodate for the zoomed-in FOV or enemy placement and aiming difficulty made possible by the stylus aiming.

Uprising won't ever be as impressive on any other platform as it was on the 3DS and that's why a successor is sorely needed to convince the general audience of the qualities present in Uprising.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. Tropical Freeze was only recognized on the Switch, and it's the best 2D platformer ever.

Kid Icarus is far and away the best 3DS game, so there's that.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah bro, add that shitty gamepad dude, would make the game so muuuuuuch better

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Atleast with the wiiU I feel like I could have held it one handed for more than 10 minutes without my hand cramping up.

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
Ironically it's one of the few games where I found the 3D effect great to see.

Dual sticks would lower the difficulty of the game, it just wouldn't be the same.

The Wii U GamePad had a resistive touchscreen like the 3DS so if the game was on Wii U it would've been better with the same touch controls anyway and not dual sticks.

With resistive touchscreens gone now I don't see how a remaster would work while keeping the original gameplay intact.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
It was such a departure from usual Nintendo, but still with their lighter touch.

It was a true AAA release squeezed onto a system that really didn't deserve it. I would put it in a category with Prime and BotW as something truly special out of them.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jokes on you it's already one of the greatest games of all time.

It wouldn't have made much of a difference and would've sold worse on Wii U.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Will we ever get a Switch remaster? I hear so many good things about it but I refused to play video games on 3DS even 6 years ago.

How many Wii U games other than Mario Kart 8 are viewed as greatest of all time?

3DS is known for great games, Wii U really isn't.
Zelda BotW is a Wii U game, it also had W101, Bayo 2, DK Tropical Freeze, more games than I remember the 3DS by at least.

Apr 21, 2018
KI:U was an amazing game and my favourite game on the hardware. Such fantastic writing and voice work too, wow.

I don't know if I agree with the OP. To change the game to a dual analog setup would require retooling the entire game. It could have been done I guess but it would have been different. Also, the graphics and environments would have needed major upgrading. The levels are rather linear and plain for a console release.

With that said, I'd love for this remastering and retooling to happen. The story, the characters, the gameplay variety and depth, it deserves better than to be stuck on the 3DS with a painful control scheme.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i really want to play this. port it to switch nintendo, everything sells there, i'm sure KI can as well.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It needs a rerelease, or hell, just patch the 3DS game so it works with the circle pad pro/new 3ds/2ds. I enjoyed what I played of it, but eventually I just got so sick of the controls I dropped it. I'd LOVE to go back and replay it decent controls.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
I firmly believe that if it was re-released right now on the Switch, it will be recognized as one of the greatest, most ambitious games of all time.
Yes
Man, Kid Icarus Uprising was really something special. The game kept escalating with every chapter in ways that even Platinum Games doesn't do.
Oh yes, 2 or 3 games in one.
Kid Icarus: Uprising is my favorite 3DS game and one of my all-time favorites. I beg to the Nintendo gods every single day for a Switch remake. Or a sequel. Or both.
I'm with you.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
It is one of the greatest... Whenever anyone asked me what 3DS game to get once people started buying 3DS ... I told them Kid icarus uprising. I'd have loved a wii U port... or sequel ... but yeah ... I think it's synonymous with 3DS...

Dual sticks would not work.

Also I'm not sure I get the premise?
KI isnt good cause 3DS?
being held back by 3DS?
would have done better on wii U?

None of those things I feel are true.
the controls do NOT hold this game back.

The only thing holding it back is people's own ridiculous refusal to play it.

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I consider it to be a top-tier Nintendo game all the same. Truly a masterpiece.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
One of the best titles on the 3ds. And that's saying something cause depending on how you hold stuff. It physically hurt to play this game

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This is a Kid Icarus: Uprising thread so I am required to post in it.

That said, I don't quite agree with the thesis. Uprising would have been a different game had Sakurai made it for Wii U. He very consciously designed KI:U around the 3DS unique feature set. There's no guarantee we would have gotten the weapon system without streepassing gems, idols without AR cards, ongoing chitter-chatter without close-ish dual screens, or intensity gate and fiend's cauldron without the wide spectrum of challenge and mastery which the controls allowed for. Kid Icarus on the Wii U could have just been Starfox Zero.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
My fav 3ds game of all time. Yeah, would've been awesome on Wii u too. Maybe we'll get a sequel on the Switch someday.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They'd have to neuter the game to work on a control scheme on the Wii U or switch.

Oddly enough, the better platform for it would have been the Wii, but they missed that chance.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I tried playing it but wasn't a fan of it. Control scheme was trash but it wasn't even the reason why I stopped playing it.