• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I know I'm limiting myself with the non PC request, but I work on a PC all day and can never bring myself to go on it once I get home except to watch a movie and such.
My other request is that I'd prefer it for be available for a modern console such as the Switch or PS4. I can hook up my PS3 again if needs be.

Anyway I'm starting to enjoy this style of adventure point+click games. I did enjoy games like Hotel Dusk for the DS, It's sort of on the same line.
My main complaint about Grim Fandango (I've stated in the other thread I made) is that I found it a little obtuse. A lot of other users agreed on this point as well.

Any recommendations here for a casual fan?
It doesn't strictly have to be a point and click game but a game with a strong narrative, great characters and a little problem solving.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Try Day of the Tentacles, probably not as good as GF but the puzzles are a lot less bullshit.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Full Throttle and Broken Age are your best bet since they're by the same writer. They're all so good (well, Broken Age has issues but I like it).

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
PC has a lot of point and click adventure games but since you prefer to play it on a console, I believe a title like Thimbleweed Park would be right down your alley. Day of the Tentacle and Full Throtle are also on current consoles to try out. Plus any of the Secret of Monkey Island titles but you'll have to connect a Xbox 360 or PS3. For that, just try it out on PC since any PC can easily run those games.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The Watjet Eye Games are great.

Unavowed especially! It has a very Dresden Files/ Noir vibe.

BewareILive

Oct 28, 2017
Most of the Lucasarts adventure games have been remastered in recent years and are available on console. Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, etc...

Oct 31, 2017
Try Day of the Tentacles, probably not as good as GF but the puzzles are a lot less bullshit.

Hahaha, yeah, Grim Fandango is better and has a more interesting story, but some of the puzzles required such a leap of the imagination that if I didn't have internet, the game would not have been beaten.

I don't mind saying that half the game required help from other sources, and that's looking up hints after exhausting everything I could possibly think of. xD~~

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The old Telltale stuff on PSN are cool, so Sam and Max series 2 and 3, Tales of Monkey Island, and Back to the Future.

Broken Sword 5 seems pretty cool too from what I've played. Nowhere near the first two, but still fun.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
-Day of the tentacle
-Monkey Island series (except "escape from")
-Sam & Max

OP
OP
Mcjmetroid

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
PC has a lot of point and click adventure games but since you prefer to play it on a console, I believe a title like Thimbleweed Park would be right down your alley. Plus any of the Secret of Monkey Island titles but you'll have to connect a Xbox 360 or PS3. For that, just try it out on PC since any PC can easily run those games.
Ya I think you might be right here.
Ok I'll do this on PC, what's the best monkey Island game or should I start at the beginning with the first one or with Curse?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Full Throttle is my favorite point 'n click. The remastered version is in the PSN store.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
F9oR9dep77M5KEQY3TD26JohxeT4A5pi.png
for the Switch is nice. Inspired by Grim Fandango but with a Afro-caribbean art style. The music is nice also.

OP
OP
Mcjmetroid

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok I'll do this on PC, what's the best monkey Island game or should I start at the beginning with the first one or with Curse?
The first 3 are masterpieces so you can't go wrong.
You can get the remastered versions of the first two on the ps3 psn or Steam and GOG on pc, and curse can be bought on Steam and Gog for pc only (that one was never remasted).
The fourth one in the series is bland through and can be skipped.

louris

Oct 27, 2017
What aspect particularly did you like? Humour? Story? Atmosphere? Puzzles? There are plenty of masterpiece-level adventure games, you could help us narrow it down for you if you tell us what it was that you enjoyed in particular.

I agree with Monkey Island 1-3 and Full Throttle. Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max Hit The Road are also really good, but more wacky. I wouldn't go for any of the Telltale games, they are nothing like Grim Fandago. They may be good for some, but I consider them to be a different genre entirely.

I would also add:
The Dig (play this if you only try one imho)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Beneath a Steel Sky
Broken Sword 1 (the rest were kind of meh for me)
The Longest Journey 1 (for something more contemporary to Grim Fandago)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

100% with the first one, then move on to one of the best sequels of all time. I mean, I started with 2, but that was because it was the first one I saw in the shop lol.

The others are all kind of their own thing, but Secret and LeChuck's Revenge are the main 2.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely play The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition. It's still a fun little gem plus you can easily switch from its modern artstyle to the throwback 1990 graphics on the fly.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Only 1, 2 and Tales are on console, unless you count Escape's PS2 version. I feel like that game gets a bad rap though, it's only really the end section that lets it down.
It helps that Tales ignore the events of escape, shame that curse is only available on pc but playin 1,2 and Tales is a lot of games already.

Forgot to write full throttle but people already mentioned anyway.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Syberia 1&2 are at the top of my point and click list. Great stuff! I thought the puzzles were fair and fun to do. Clock punk theme could be an exciting change of setting for you.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the same question and never found anything like it ever again. It's my favourite adventure game.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
There's also Thimbleweed park. It's on everything except PS4 I think.

It's on PS4 as well.

A few essential games have already been mentioned.
Full Throttle
Day of the Tentacle
Monkey Island (sadly #3 can't be played if you don't have a PC)

So I'll add these perhaps lesser known games:
Deponia
Kings Quest

I really, really loved kings quest. Easily the most enjoyable "point and click" style adventure I've played since the original release of Grim Fandango.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
It is on PS4 as well. Really good game.
It's on PS4 as well.

A few essential games have already been mentioned.
Full Throttle
Day of the Tentacle
Monkey Island (sadly #3 can't be played if you don't have a PC)

So I'll add these perhaps lesser known games:
Deponia
Kings Quest

I really, really loved kings quest. Easily the most enjoyable "point and click" style adventure I've played since the original release of Grim Fandango.

Oh okay, thanks.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Broken Sword 1, 2 & 5 can be found on mobile (5 also on PS4).

I fell in love with the first and second when they were first released on PC and are 2 of my favourite games of all time. They're a lot more serious and the humour is a lot more subtle when comparing them to Schafer games. Think of them as a funny and actually good Da Vinci code.

These guys also made a game called Beneath a Steel Sky which I believe got an IOS port. This predates the Broken Sword series but is also a gem of a game.

If you have access to a PS3 or 360, the first 2 Monkey island games were ported to the platform which are also Schafer games. These are absolute classics to the genre.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Day of the Tentacle is amazing, though it doesn't pull the same emotional strings as it's all comedy.

If you have a tablet you could always buy games on GOG or whatever and run them on ScummVM. For LucasArts classics with good story I'd suggest Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and The Dig.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Try check if the first three Monkey Island games and Day of the tentacle are available on the console you own.
Also check out Thimbleweed Park.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Day of the Tentacle is amazing and have Maniac Mansion inside it (in a PC on the game lol)
Monkey Island

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
If you loved Grim Fandango's story, characters and creativity, you should play Psychonauts (from the same developer) at some point imo. You play as a character in a psychic summer camp. It's a platformer for the most part. The overworld is the camp and the levels are the Inception-style representations of other character's minds and they're all unique and allow for variations in gameplay. It's really fun!

Last edited: