• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It only cost $5/month for a 12-month subscription, which AFAIK is the cheapest gaming subscription service out there. For comparison, Amazon Luna costs $5.99 a month but it's streaming only and you only get access to ~60 games.
Of course SONY won't let you play big first party games day 1, but the line-up itself is decent enough to justify the premium you pay.
Its library doesn't overlap with Game Pass too much and sometimes it got certain games earlier (e.g. Control).

The only complaint I have with it is definitely the streaming quality of PS3 games, but I don't find myself very interested in most 7th gen games aside from Killzone 2 and Resistance 3. For all PS4 games, you can download and play locally just like your other digital games bought from PSN.

Considering the popularity of Game Pass here, I thought PS Now should also have some attention though it doesn't.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sony hasn't marketed it efficiently, and the value proposition isn't what it is on GamePass.

Beyond that, PlayStation touts stronger PS+ free games every month. That canabalizes the value of Now a bit.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
I tried it before but I think I felt like it really didn't have the content to justify the price. If that's changed I'd definitely give it another shot.

Aug 31, 2019
It's available in fewer countries than Gamepass, that could explain why so few talk about it. If the service was available in my region, it could have convinced me to purchase a PS4, but I barely know what games are available since Sony don't care for this market down here.

Oct 25, 2017
Because this is an enthusiast website, which means those who want to play PS3/4 games likely already have the hardware to do so.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't advertise it or focus as much energy and hype on it nearly as strongly as Microsoft does (considering MS made Game Pass an extremely central part of the whole Xbox value proposition in just over a year).

That, and the arguable quality/consistancy of the streaming service (which used to be the face of PS Now) lead some to write it off a while ago without giving it another chance since.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
As a subscriber, I feel like it needs more newer indie games. I get jealous of all the brand new indie games I see gamepass get. More than any AAA games

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even available everywhere, how to talk about something so great when Sony for whatever reason still doesn't support your country?

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony makes PS3 games native I am very sure it would become automatically one of the best services ever. It is good for now but could be better.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
It is wierd I am genuinely more excited about the game announcements for PS Now then PS+. If I had to choose one I would probably go PS Now over PS+ and ditch Multiplayer alltogether. Downloading PS4 games is a godsend.

Deleted member 79058

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
It's not available in Brazil. A friend do a trick to use the service, but I don't think it's worth it.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I tried it before but I think I felt like it really didn't have the content to justify the price. If that's changed I'd definitely give it another shot.
Same here, good stuff but a lot of it that would be "worth it" for the service I already owned. I had a free month earlier this year and all I played was Control.

I agree with others too that it's not really marketed enough, on the flip side for MS Gamepass(and Xcloud too) has become synonymous with their Xbox brand.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Great service. It allowed me to play Bloodborne without buying a console. Saved me a chunk of money.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I think a lot of it boils down to stuff not going on there day one. Sony treats it as a complimentary service, whereas Gamepass is integral to Xbox.

Fewer markets.

The perception that it's all streaming even though you can download the PS4 games.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It only cost $5/month for a 12-month subscription, which AFAIK is the cheapest gaming subscription service out there.
EA Play is $5 a month or $30 a year.

I think lack of global (or more market) availability may play a big ass factor.
Much like Game Pass, PS Now can still be used in countries where it's not officially available. Even streaming works though of course YMMV on how well that works in an unsupported region. Game Pass streaming is region locked and doesn't work in such places.

PS Now needs new games on release, and more often. I'm not even talking about Sony first-party since that's never happening. Day 1 indies, hell more indies in general each month, would go a long way.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would assume that it doesn't have that many subscribers here. We have threads for the monthly games and an OT but they don't really get much traffic.

It only has one drop of games per month compared to Game Pass (to use your comparison) which has drops of games throughout the month. Every Thursday is new Game Pass games day and then you get drops in between too (like tomorrow, a random Tuesday where two new games join Game Pass day one of their release). So you tend to get a bit of PS Now chatter around the beginning of the month and then there's not a great deal to talk about for the rest of the month.

It's still only available in a pretty limited amount of countries.

Most of the game releases on it are older stuff and there's not a lot of conversation to be had about them. It's great that Horizon Zero Dawn is returning to PS Now this month and we're getting The Surge 2 but, really, what else is there to say about them that hasn't been said two years ago? Horizon isn't even new to PS Now as a service. It was on there last December too. Newer releases get more conversation. If Fall Guys had been a PS Now release rather than PS+ (and had been followed up by similar day one indies) you would've heard a lot more about PS Now over the last six months.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Because gamepass is more popular, gets a lot of day 1 releases, is on PC, has a big library of games itself (some of which you can stream to android) and has a lot more subscribers therefore it has a lot more mindshare than now so people talk about it more.

People talk about gamepass being a system seller in a way they dont about now. Best deal in gamings history and all that.

To me gamepass is the better service.

Edit: People ITT mentioning availability, that too.

Last edited:

Facosao

Jan 13, 2020
Not available worldwide. For example I live in Brazil and all those streaming services like Stadia, Luna, GeForce NOW and PS Now aren't available here. xCloud will be the first one to launch here in ~February 2021.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Also it's not talked about more because Sony doesn't talk about it more. It doesn't seem important to them.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Because the marketing budget Sony has behind it is about as big as the salary of the person who writes the blog posts of the newly added games every month.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I'm thinking about subscribing again so it's nice to hear some positive comments. I wish they would add a bit more of even their own PS3 library to it though as it looks like that's what we're stuck with as far as PS3 BC. Like why aren't all of the PS3 Ratchet games on there? Would be a great way to cross promote PS Now and Rift Apart.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
It's a perfectly fine service that has good content for the price, but it's not talked about more because Sony barely markets it (unlike Xbox Gamepass) and because it's limited in new additions (once or twice a month, nothing big added recently) and just doesn't have the same value to most people that Xbox Gamepass has now (though I would argue that to many, the value proposition is similar as of now).

If Sony talked about it more, people would talk about it more. Otherwise, it seems like a second thought to Sony and thus to many people

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
It only cost $5/month for a 12-month subscription, which AFAIK is the cheapest gaming subscription service out there. For comparison, Amazon Luna costs $5.99 a month but it's streaming only and you only get access to ~60 games.
Of course SONY won't let you play big first party games day 1, but the line-up itself is decent enough to justify the premium you pay.
Its library doesn't overlap with Game Pass too much and sometimes it got certain games earlier (e.g. Control).

The only complaint I have with it is definitely the streaming quality of PS3 games, but I don't find myself very interested in most 7th gen games aside from Killzone 2 and Resistance 3. For all PS4 games, you can download and play locally just like your other digital games bought from PSN.

Considering the popularity of Game Pass here, I thought PS Now should also have some attention though it doesn't.
Because people want to hate it because is a competitor to gamepass and a very underrated one. Try it both and the only difference is the first party one and some date to date indies on gamepass other than that they have very similar games with a lot of old backlog on now. I unsubscribe for both because tend to buy the game and not wait until it appears on the service so I lose money on not using it both more ps now because the games take longer to be there. Will subscribe to gamepass maybe in 2022 when those first party announced games manage to appear on the service.

Mar 23, 2018
Because it's confusing. I get that it's really not, but considering it's both like Game Pass but also like Stadia Pro in a way, it's kind of confusing. If only PS5 just had BC for PS3 games via an emulator.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
User warned: Console war rhetoric
Sony is still releasing video games on a regular basis, whereas MS doesn't really have much on the horizon, and is therefore putting a lot of focus on old games at a good price.

Last edited:

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I see some giving explanations about PS Now, who don't currently seem to use the service.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The marketing isn't up to snuff and the output is minimal every month (even if they get games before Gamepass).

I like the service a lot as well but it definitely needs some work to become more of a talking point. Doesn't help when they do the limited time games, take them away, and then bring them back.

IMO, if first party is on the service it should stay on the service.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
mostly for streaming old games, no day one stuff , not available in most regions , no random $1 deals, for some reason Sony exclusives don't even stay around forever. Doesn't offer much of a benefit if you already have a console

Deleted member 56457

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
I've been using it on my ps5 and I love this feature. Funny thing is I bought this by accident thinking it was the PS monthly subscription

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't invest as much in PS Now as Microsoft in Gamepass. Just compare the games that are coming each month.

That said, PS Now is actually cheaper now, so it's still a good deal.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
the lack of marketing on Sony ends doesn't help

I used a free trial about 5 years ago and thought it was ok. But, I do keep hearing positive things about it over and over again on here.

tokenflipguy

May 15, 2018
Sony hasn't marketed it efficiently, and the value proposition isn't what it is on GamePass.

Beyond that, PlayStation touts stronger PS+ free games every month. That canabalizes the value of Now a bit.

This is one of the main reason why isn't talked about much. I got the Black Friday 44.99 Now deal for a year, and it's great. It has some really good games on it. The thing that Game Pass has over are the indie offerings/First Party Day 1 which I think Sony won't ever do.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Apologize that I didn't realize the regional availability thing. I created 5 accounts to take advantage of regional goodies and all of them except HK have PS Now so I assumed it would be more widely available than it actually is.

As a subscriber, I feel like it needs more newer indie games. I get jealous of all the brand new indie games I see gamepass get. More than any AAA games
That's true, I really want CrossCode, Outer Wilds and some other indies to come to PS Now for trophies though I have Game Pass.

It's not available in Brazil. A friend do a trick to use the service, but I don't think it's worth it.
Yeah, also voucher cards from other regions are usually overpriced.

If Sony makes PS3 games native I am very sure it would become automatically one of the best services ever. It is good for now but could be better.
I tried Killzone 2 but shooters are literally unplayable with the streaming lag.

The content didn't justify the price when the service was barely functional and cost $99. But I'm very happy with it at $59 now.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Because it's in direct competition with game pass and the latter ate its lunch. It'll always be compared to game pass and it just doesn't measure up. I think it is a good value if you're interested in older games and don't mind streaming non ps4 games

Nov 8, 2017
It's in way fewer markets, it isn't talked about by Sony very much, and it doesn't get many new games (Sony 1p stuff doesn't come day one like MS does on GP). It adding downloads so it wasn't streaming-only is also something that came late and wasn't well advertised - some people still don't know it can do that.

It's a good service for older content on PS4 (and PS3 if you don't mind game streaming but eh).

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's not available in Australia, or many other markets.
I only hear about it online here and there, it basically doesn't exist for a large portion of the world.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It is absolutely amazing, a lot of value for anyone that doesnt buy north of 10 games a year.

Lately I've been playing only the PSNow offerings (and PES 2021...), because they keep adding great games I haven't bought (even though I have a huge backlog).