• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My series X is practically dead silent compared to my PS5 and I don't think my PS5 is that loud especially compared to a PS4 pro.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
people like to rip this take, but it's an incredible pain in the ass. It's even worse on the switch where you have to pull the whole thing out of the dock to switch out cards

For the record, you can very easily pop open the cart slot and swap cartridges without removing the switch from the dock. I do it all the time.

Streaks

Oct 28, 2017
My Series X is silent to the point I can't hear it and I've played quite a few UHDs on it.
Do the folks who have loud drives have their consoles vertical or horizontal (maybe upside down?? no idea)

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Doesn't bother me and it's only when checking the disc on the drive and then it's silent.

Unless there's something wrong with your drive.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Is it really that loud? Is the disk drive sound just amplified since you can't hear the console itself? I plan on never inserting any type of media into the drive for the life of my console, so I'll never know.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why would it even make a noise after it's installed? I feel like it should spin for like less than a minute when using

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
My PS5 is also quite loud especially if I turn it on with 13 Sentinels inside, it sounds like its gonna implode, for some reason its only been with 13 Sentinels so far.

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I haven't had too many noise problems with the Series X disc drive. I can hear it and occasionally it gets louder but never bothers me. PS5 on the other hand is loud as hell. I'm almost entirely digital and mostly just use these for my physical movie collection so it's not really a big deal to me at this point anyway though.

May 14, 2021
The disc drive in my X isn't loud, but the console itself is dead silent no matter how intensive the game is. I actually questioned whether or not the fan was working. My PS5 drive used to be loud but fortunately a firmware update lessened the number of times the drive gets revved up. The console itself is loud enough with fan noise and coil whine that I've made my X my new main console to avoid the sound. My old PS4 Pro was even louder.

Joo

May 25, 2018
My PS5 was so loud reading discs at launch and now i never hear it. It used to vibrate so hard you could hear it downstairs.
Same for me. PS5 felt very loud with all sorts of vibrations at first when reading discs, but now I barely hear it when the disc spins. Sony did reduce the speed of the spinning which helped, but the actual vibrations just went away quite a bit later. Weird.

Other than the disc drive, the console is basically completely silent.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It's loud compared to the silence when there is no disc in it, for sure. But I've never thought it was overly loud for the function of reading a disc. It's just that I notice it more when I actually do put a disc in because it is dead quiet at all other times.

So here the little guy is, trying its best to do its job that I very rarely ask it to do, and when it gives me even the normal disc read sounds I'm side-eyeing it like it's the most offensive thing I've ever heard a piece of electronics do.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
The only noise I ever get from my machines is coil whine from the PS5 Digital Edition in taxing games like Ratchet, though its not super loud, just is audible. And my Xbox Series X always revs one time when I load into multiplayer in CoD Vanguard.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Between the disc drives and fans and coil whine, people here either have busted consoles, incredible hearing, or love to exaggerate. Sitting around 6 feet from my console, I don't think I've ever heard it make any discernible sound.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I just realized I have never put a disc in my Series X at all since launch day, I should throw one in just to see if it has noises. My PS5 used to have some loud noise for about 10 seconds when I would first put in a disc but now it's silent all the time, guessing a firmware upgrade handled it at some point.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a "physical whenever possible" guy, but the Series X has me wondering if there's any point. Because it seems that the disc doesn't do shit, anyway. The "update" that is immediately required is so huge, it's obviously the whole game. I'm surprised the system bothers to even keep spinning the disc after it recognizes it.

On the topic of drive noise, I swear, every console since the 360 has claims of being "dead silent" and also "sounds like a jet engine". For the record, I'd rate all of these the same, for me, which is "loud enough to notice, not loud enough to complain about":

360, PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Series X, PS5

I have to assume they're all capable of either. Is it the ambient temperature? Is is airflow? Acoustics? Or just system wars? I don't know, but there's zero consistency.

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Hmm... My XSX is fairly quiet and unlike PS5 doesn't randomly start spinning disk even if you are doing something completely unrelated to whatever is in the disk drive.

PS5 is a freaking jet engine when disk spins up. It's super annoying.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I'm a "physical whenever possible" guy, but the Series X has me wondering if there's any point. Because it seems that the disc doesn't do shit, anyway. The "update" that is immediately required is so huge, it's obviously the whole game. I'm surprised the system bothers to even keep spinning the disc after it recognizes it.

That's why you can preload any game that you want, even if you're going to use a disc.

I don't install games from discs anymore on SX.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I'd probably say it's a bit of a worry of accessing those games years down the line. I still buy digital games on the Switch though but I just prefer to keep getting physical on it.

Same reason I only get physical games on my Switch. I can't trust Nintendo with anything online related, they are pretty mediocre at it.

Sheit!!! I have the DE and it's been pretty nice. I've not put a disk in my SX and from this thread, I'm glad I'm digital.

Same.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The preload is the size of the entire game for your console. What i'm saying is that you don't need the disc for anything but check ownership of the game since you don't need it to install the game.

And I'm saying, I want the game to be on the disc. That's kind of the point. I didn't buy the game on disc because I want a tiny poster.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
And I'm saying, I want the game to be on the disc. That's kind of the point. I didn't buy the game on disc because I want a tiny poster.

That is happening with all three console manufacturers, kinda hard to have a complete game on disc since most of the time the game on disc will have a day one patch at least.

In the case of Guardians of the Galaxy they had something like two or three updates before the game released.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
That is happening with all three console manufacturers, kinda hard to have a complete game on disc since most of the time the game on disc will have a day one patch at least.

In the case of Guardians of the Galaxy they had something like two or three updates before the game released.

So far, my experience on the Series X (which is only a few games, admittedly) is that the "patch" is clearly the entire game. On other systems, the patch is maybe 10% the size of the whole game.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Sorry to hear that. My Xbox`s drive is audible while installing/watching BDs but far from annoying (I´m sitting ~1 meter away from my console). Try to put something noise cancelling below the console.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
You guys still use disc's...??

Jokes aside, I never have and OP's post is making me less interested in trying it. Heck I don't even know if it works.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
just recently tried a game disc first time,
i think only time its somewhat annoying is at console bootup with a disc left in.

dont realize it during gaming. and the extra clicky gamepad makes all other noises moot tbh.