• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
So today I finally tried the Impossible Burger with a friend of mine. We had always wanted to try it as we saw it as the "Holy Grail" of vegan patties. We aren't vegans, but we are open to healthier options.

We both were blown away at how "meat-like" it was. It was juicy, the texture was almost creepy in how "burger-like" it was. It really exceeded my expectations.

Have any of you tried the Impossible Burger yet? It's quite amazing how a burger made in a lab by scientists can be so great.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
It's great! I prefer it to the Beyond patties because they have a better texture and taste. I really can't wait to try the 2.0 product once that rolls out.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want to try it. Apparently there's a place that actually serves it near me, but getting there would be... difficult, as I lack a driver's license (right now)

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Yah, I've had it a couple times. It's good and to me is satisfying in a similar way a beef burger is.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i liked it

its not a option really catered towards vegans or even people looking to eat a whole lot healthier, but instead towards people who wanna reduce their meat consumption

in that regard it works really well as a substitute

hopefully it gets cheaper over time, seems like it could be a popular option in the long run

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I have absolutely zero interest in it BUT I am eager to eventually try lab grown meat when that becomes a thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Have had both the Impossible and Beyond burgers quite a few times, but I find the Beyond one just a bit better.

Either way, am glad to see both brands scaling up so much.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I tried it in 3-4 different places and I'm sorry it tastes like trash and smells worse. I seriously think people who say "it tastes like meat!!" never had a nicely done burger in their lives.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Right, yeah I mean less beef production is a good thing and another option for vegetarians is great as well.
its a bit healthier by weight compared to a regular burger, but not by much

because its trying to replicate the taste and texture of meat, I don't think it would be super appealing to vegans, but there's been a lot of improvements to veggie burgers in general as well over time. Bean burgers are very widespread nowadays which is neat

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Yep. It is solid. Our local watering hole has it and very good black bean burger. We get them sometimes to mix it up.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was always curious. What's the difference in calories and macros with vegan alternatives??? Like vegan meats and all that

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
1.0 was fine, 2.0 is delicious. It satisfies my rare craving for a hamburger, but the current options are pretty expensive. Very curious about that Impossible Whopper (get on that shit In N Out, jeez.)

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I tried it in 3-4 different places and I'm sorry it tastes like trash and smells worse. I seriously think people who say "it tastes like meat!!" never had a nicely done burger in their lives.
Burgers are mostly sponges for other flavors. You don't see restaurants proudly serving bare burger patties the way they would a filet mignon. Same goes for hot dogs, for that matter.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
its a bit healthier by weight compared to a regular burger, but not by much

because its trying to replicate the taste and texture of meat, I don't think it would be super appealing to vegans, but there's been a lot of improvements to veggie burgers in general as well over time. Bean burgers are very widespread nowadays which is neat

Lots of vegans love the taste of meat. They just don't want to eat it because of ethics.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
It's pretty damn good and I can't wait to try 2.0. I prefer it over the Beyond Burger (though it too has a new version I eagerly await) My wife is vegan and I'm an omnivore, but I can't help but want to reduce the amount of animals killed and of course their impact on the environment.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Everytime I see a topic/post like this I simply just don't get it, like did I get some kind of dud? Have you people never had like a real cheeseburger before? It's like fine, better than a typical vegetarian patty, but it is not even close to real beef.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually tried it for the first time on Friday. It tastes pretty amazing. I couldn't really tell that it wasn't meat.

I'm unaware if they are healthier or lower calorie but if they are I can see myself ordering them instead of beef burgers in the future.

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I'm personally a bigger fan of the Beyond Burger, but if the Impossible burger starts getting into more places I'll start having it more (Right now the places in my city where I could get one are places I don't typically frequent). I heard that Burger King is testing it out and once it makes its way westward I'll be open to trying it there. Currently though, they're like twelve dollars per burger most places and I can't make 'em at home unfortunately like I can the Beyond

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's not supposed to be healthier than a burger (at least that's not the current goal). It's supposed to avoid the pitfalls of consuming animals en masse. People saying they'd rather just eat a burger are completely missing the point.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I've been a vegetarian for 8 years, initially because the idea of meat grossed me out, among greater reasons since then.

I've tried Impossible Burger Sliders at Epcot, and enjoyed them, but not any more than I enjoy black bean burgers or any other types. In fact, I love veggie burgers in general because of the very different ways that restaurants make them.

I'd never pay a premium for one, but once they hit mass market pricing, I'd switch it up with one from time to time.

Oct 27, 2017
Tried it a few weeks back at this placed called Morty's, while the burger as whole was delicious, nothing about the meat itself stood out, it felt like everything else was the standout and the meat was just there, nothing spectacular.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I was never under the impression it was marketed for being healthier, but more the potential to reduce emissions from the beef industry?

edit: Oh. I see OP called it healthier now.

It's slightly healthier in that it has slightly lower calories and no cholesterol.

Don't expect to loose weight or anything from it though, since it's basically the equivalent of buying Diet Coke. Of course, if your goal is to eat healthily then there's probably some better places to go then a fast food restaurant anyway.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I dig them. Wish they were around when I was a vegetarian and maybe (maybe) I wouldn't have switched back after 9 years of missing a Double Double.

Haven't had the 2.0 yet, but hear good things. Best part about ordering one is when you ask for bacon or an egg and the waiter looks at you with both confusion and delight.

Shits disgusting, Boca burgers are better

What? Boca is a good soy brand, one you can find anywhere, like the Boars Head of veggie patties. But for trying to capture the taste and texture of a real burger it simply doesn't compare to Impossible.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Yup, they're impressive but I eat meat. This is a godsend for my sisters though who are actual vegetarians and like to have something junkish like a fastfood veggie burger when they aren't eating healthy.

Just so you guys know, veggie burgers have been shit for years and especially the veggie burger at Burger King. So they are thrilled about the Impossible Whopper being tested. Only high quality brands really are Beyond and Impossible so they are happy they dont have to settle for MorningStar and Boca patties when they get a burger at some eatery now.

Things have finally gotten good for vegetarians who like to have a burger once in a while when they eat out.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious about it as a novelty.
But it's a rip-off. If it cost less than meat then I'd have some.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I thought this was gonna be about some food challenge where the burger was huge or super spicy. Or both.

I'm honestly just fine with mushroom replacement for meat patties anyway

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I went to Red Robin this weekend and substituted my patty for one. Thought it was pretty good.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Isn't it like $1 more at Burger King?

The Impossible Whopper? I believe so. But the Impossible Burger at Red Robin is like like 3-4 dollars more than a regular cheeseburger.

Why? Soy is vastly less expensive than beef. I get that they have R&D costs to recoup, but this is ridiculous.

Thats not how it works. They don't own the Impossible resources to produce the groundbreaking "fake meat" patty and most places have been producing standard meat burgers at profit for years.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Not yet but i want to :(
I've drastically cut down my beef consumption the past two months from maybe 25% of my monthly animal protein to now 1-2%.