• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
It's been almost 17 months since my wife passed away. This isn't a thread about that (although I made one when it happened), but rather the fact that almost 17 months after the fact, I've finally received the life insurance payout. It's been quite a journey to this point, so here's a quick recap to figuring out some of the essential matters following my wife's death.

My wife died under unusual circumstances, just passing away early in the morning in her sleep. She was a perfectly healthy 32 year old woman, she'd had a baby 9 months prior, the day before we had been on a family outing to the zoo where she felt fine besides the occasional labored breathing as we pushed strollers up the hills. But she passed away with no known conditions or indication of what was wrong.

Well, I was informed by her parents lawyer that I was going to have to wait for her death certificate being completed before I could start filling for things like the life insurance through my work, social security benefits, etc. The coroner's office told me it would be about 6 weeks which I thought was ridiculous, but I understand being short staffed and overworked leads to these circumstances. Thanks to my wife I had seen crime documentaries that talked about this very thing - I think maybe Jon Oliver has done a bit on it too. Basically the jobs don't pay what they should, they don't always have the people qualified to do it properly, because those with the training likely go into a more lucrative medical field I think. Anyway, I get all that, just call back in 6 weeks.

Enter 6 months later. My family had called the coroner's office many times, always just to be given excuses for why it was taking so long, told the case has transferred to someone else, told they're at a convention, etc. My parents reached out to our state congressmen and senators, and in a VERY TYPICAL FASHION, we got no help from our many republican representatives who said they couldn't do anything. Finally after getting into contact with Kendra Horn, the only Democrat we'd talked to, we got the report two days later.

By the way, Oklahoma, fuck you for voting out the only person who helped me. I wasn't even in her district but she still helped.

Anyway, now it's been 6 months, I have the death certificate, time to start business. Turns out social security didn't need the completed death certificate, they would've accepted the one that had a pending cause of death. Luckily they back pay 6 months so I got our full amount of survivor benefits paid. Next was the life insurance, so we sent everything out for that.

After about a month I got a letter for $5000. There was absolutely no explanation for why it was only $5,000 when it should have been $50,000, and there was no way to contact them. This was understandably worrying, but a bit of research on my behalf revealed it's normal for insurance companies to pay a small amount immediately while they investigate the case. I would eventually find someone there to talk to that confirmed this.

So it's been 7 months, but everything should be good, right? Well, another month goes by and they send a letter explaining that since I had the life insurance policy for less than 2 years, they would have to extensively research the case, but it would take no more than 1 month.

Anyway, long story short, I would continue to receive this letter about once a month until today, when a check for $45,000 showed up. So now I have that. It's really nothing, it doesn't guarantee a future for me or my son. It certainly doesn't make anything feel easier to me. But here it is. And I guess it's just another chapter of mine and my wife's life that is closed now. Here is the money my company thought would help me in the loss of my wife.

I guess today is a good day. My wife's favorite candidate was Kamala Harris last June, she'd be happy knowing she's vice president. Both of our dogs are rescues, she'd be happy that Biden's dog is the first rescue in the white house. Plus I got $45,000. But the truth is, I don't feel much elation or happiness today. I'm not sure what the thread is for, but I guess sometimes it's good to just get shit out.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm so sorry for your loss OP. I can understand feeling a mountain of emotions. I hope you have people in your life to lean on, have you ever just taken some time for yourself to mourn?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy that you're able to close this chapter, and so sorry you had to deal with it at all, OP. Wishing you and your son the best.

EXPBonus

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry for your loss OP.

Hopefully this is the first in a long line of steps towards a happy future for you and your son :)

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
At the very least, it's one less thing to stress about. Money can never bring happiness, but it can certainly alleviate a lot of potential unhappiness. I hope it eases your financial burdens in these crazy times, and if you were already doing okay, maybe you can drop it into a college fund for your son and let it do its thing? I hope you can find a new sense of peace and happiness at some point in the future.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Sorry for your loss OP.

That was really tough to read, I don't know what I or my kids would do without my wife, I'm tearing up just sitting here thinking about it!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Condolences OP, glad you finally managed to get things sorted out and I hope things get better for you from here

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
So sorry to hear about this ordeal OP, I can't imagine what you've had to go through. I'm glad at least that this part has finally been rectified but I can imagine how it's not really bringing any happiness or relief... how could it.

Have you thought about taking a small part of it and maybe taking you and your son on a nice trip, when the time is appropriate? Maybe visit a place you all did before and hopefully get some much needed time with just the two of you and hopefully some smiles, as hard as that might be to envision right now?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Condolences OP. This does make me think my wife and I should probably sit down and lay out all the admin shit that would be needed. I think I'd manage but I have several pensions etc and I don't know if she'd manage with life insurance as its all set up through my bank. Probably need a file with clear instructions and account details etc..

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine what you've been through. I can't imagine losing my wife...

We just set up our family trust and all that this year. It's a very sobering process because of all the potential circumstances you have to definitively spell out in writing about what will happen when one or both of you passes.

Sorry man. I hope you can find some peace of mind.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Just wanna say my wife passed away at 31 in June 2019, and I think it's important you can talk about it and I definitely relate to these days that should feel good but sometimes feel very much missing something. Sorry you've had to have this shit too, bud.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm so sorry, OP. I can't even imagine what you've been through. I'm sorry for your loss, but also glad that you're finally able to close this chapter - at least in terms of the insurance payout.

Deepest apologies if this is insensitive (certainly feel free to ignore me), but did you ever find out why she suddenly passed away at such a young age?