• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
A month ago, my best friend asked me to take in a rescue she had adopted because it turns out her partner is highly allergic to kitties. I've never had cats before, only a dog, but I had meet and interacted with Mochi before. This is going to be a long post, because I love talking about Mochi, and this is all so new to me. There will be lots of pics, and some videos. And please, please share your cat adoption stories!

Mochi was found on the street at three weeks and has had four homes (including ours) in one short year. When I would visit my friend's house, she would hide for hours and only come out if she thought we weren't watching her.

4Y7nLma.png

This is her before I even knew I would be taking her in. Luckily, despite her shyness, she decided to sit next to me when we did stuff like watch movies.

Coming Home
When it came time to bring her home, we knew it was going to be tough for her. Unsurprisingly, she ran and hid for the first few hours. But my friend stayed with us for most of the day, and that seemed to give her enough confidence to start exploring! A big step considering she didn't explore my friend's apartment for quite a few days.

Even after my friend went home, Mochi kept exploring, although she did alternate going back into hiding. We gave her space. The breakthrough came when I was on the bed doing laundry. I went out of the room to get something, and came back to see her lounging on the laundry pile. She ran back under once I came in, but soon enough I heard some purring from the laundry pile next to me! I offered her my hand for a sniff and she reacted well, so I got in a pet.

yZxeQdy.png

Mochi looking out the bedroom window that first night. (Don't worry, there's a screen.)

qzLVWby.jpg

Looking out the window on second day once she got comfortable around my partner.

The next day, she was more confident, wanting to explore. I would sit and offer my hand, and she would bunt it with both sides of her face which is now our ritual greeting. She even jumped onto my lap while I was working and napped! One of the best moments of my life. (Unfortunately, she hasn't done it since then, but she will nap under the desk or next to me on her bed. I captured it on camera at least.)

nJbnAMt.jpg

Mochi has come a long way since that first day. She is still very shy with strangers, but I do believe she loves my partner and me and feels at home.

How many toes beans?
You might have noticed in some pictures that she has very large paws! That's because she is polydactyly, which I didn't even know was a thing before meeting her. She has an extra toe on each of her paws. She is decidedly less graceful than other cats, but it doesn't stop her from wanting to climb literally everything she can.

Maaa-reep!
Mochi is very vocal, spending her day chirping and meeping at us. They are very soft, but plentiful. She will announce herself when she walks into a room, when she jumps on a piece of furniture like the bed, ask for closet doors to be opened, greet you at the door, ask to play, etc. If she were a Pokemon, she would be a Mareep because that's one of her calling cards. And if she rubs on the couch while getting pet, she builds up static and shocks you. She also answers to her name and meeps. She doesn't usually come, but if you say "Mochi!" you are likely to hear a corresponding meep coming from a room to let you know where she is, and if you meep at her, she will meep back. I need to catch it on video one day.

Q8yTnZv.jpg
M6NvFwr.jpg

Hard to Please Game Critic
Mochi would fit right in on ResetEra. She loves, loves her games, but she is very critical! Playtime is serious business, and if it is not up to her standards, she will not engage. We've watched videos of cats playing with their wand toys, and it looks so easy. Just wave it in front of them, and they'll go wild. Mochi requires a well the3q2ought-out simulation, with realistic and non-repetitive gameplay. (The random keys in "thought" are from Mochi running over my keyboard, trying to get at a disc of cardboard that my partner is throwing around.) The most basic game she enjoys is chasing after balls or her cardboard disc, although typically she doesn't try to "catch" them. She will run after, then meep at us to throw the ball again in a different direction. But beyond that, we need to have her toys run, hide, slither, jump, climb, and so on before she will wiggle her butt and go in for a pounce!

Online, it says cats should play between 20 to 60 minutes a day, in 10-15 minute bursts. Mochi can go for hour-long sessions, and probably averages at 2 hours of playtime a day. Once she is too tired out to run around, she enjoys more cerebral play like hiding behind objects to catch toys or finding them under towels and blankets. If you stop too early, she will go rummage around her toy basket or keep playing by herself.

Of course, nothing beats watching birbs from the window.

Nl9fiqN.jpg

The Sink is Her Favorite
Mochi has recently learned that water comes out of sink faucets, and will now sit at the sink at least a half a dozen times a day, contemplating it. Sometimes we will turn it on for her so that she can paw and bite at the water. (And get her cheek super wet in the process.) Before this, the tub was the most exciting thing in the apartment. After every shower, she would come in to inspect what happened. But she's still to scared to come in when the shower is running. I'll leave the door ajar so that she gets used to the sound, and sometimes I'll see her poke her head in. (Speaking of the bathroom, she will meow and wait at the door when I go in by myself.)

Bedtime is My Favorite
Mochi isn't a lap cat, but she does like to go on blankets next to you, knead, and take a nap. At night, once I've settled into bed, she will meep to announce that she is coming up to "tuck me in". She will knead on me (over a blanket, if I'm lucky), cuddle, then jump off. A little bit later, she will come for a final kneading and settle in either at my side or between my legs, and begin her purring. It is literally the highlight of my day. If we stay up too late, she'll start complaining and guiding me to go to bed. She'll sleep through most of the night until dawn, when it's time for breakfast and she will cuddle and meep to get us out of bed.

aT5dUy1.jpg
Cnardho.jpg
e71VDdX.jpg

I could go on forever, but I will spare you all. I've loved my time with Mochi so far and am so excited to spend many years with her. We are also looking to get her a kitty friend, since she has always lived with at least another cat that she enjoyed hanging out and playing with. I'll be sure to post about that if / when we find a good fit for her.

If you've stuck with me to now, please share your cat adoption stories!

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Mochi is gorgeous, especially with her fur coloration on her face. I want to scoop her up and carry her around lol.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Cats are awesome. I'm super allergic to mind and still cuddle the fuck out of him. Worth it.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
She's a cutie op! I miss having cats, back when I lived with my folks they have two cats, I was very close with one of them but he was also very shy and would hide and avoid people, now that I moved away he no longer recognize me and I became a stranger :(.

Also I want to commend on all the Jolteon plushies a.k.a the best Eevee evolution

OP
OP
Pau

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the rescue ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Thank you! I really hope she loves her forever home with us.

Mochi is gorgeous, especially with her fur coloration on her face. I want to scoop her up and carry her around lol.
I'm biased, but she totally is a beauty. She doesn't like being carried, unfortunately. She is super sweet so she won't hiss or scratch if you try, just wiggle around.

Nice kitty, I wish I wasn't so allergic to them ๐Ÿคง
I'm so sorry. My sister is OBSESSED with cats, but also super, super allergic. She has called me from a rescue, carrying a kitty and asking if she can bring it home, but I've had to say no because of her allergies.

\o/ "Mochi!!"

One of our cats is also named Mochi ;) Nice pics OP.
My friend gave her the name so I can't take credit for it. Originally it was Bunny, we think because she loves bunny kicks!

She's a cutie op! I miss having cats, back when I lived with my folks they have two cats, I was very close with one of them but he was also very shy and would hide and avoid people, now that I moved away he no longer recognize me and I became a stranger :(.

Also I want to commend on all the Jolteon plushies a.k.a the best Eevee evolution
Oh no, that's so sad. My friend, her previous owner, visited last week and she didn't recognize her either. I thought kitties might remember people for longer, but I guess not. :( And yes, Jolteon is totally the best Pokemon ever, which is why he gets his own spot on the shelf! There's actually been a new addition since the picture was taken. Went to The Nintendo Store in NYC. Could not resist picking up a Jolteon plushie I didn't have. (Mochi properly inspected and approved him, including sniffing his butt.)

Oct 27, 2017
I found my kitty Wesley crying on the side of the road. I still don't know how I saw her from my car. She could fit in the palm of my hand and her eyes were all crusted over.
zOz5Nsf.jpg

nVJ3uMC.jpg

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What a delightful kid! If you're looking for a cheap toy, try elastic hair bands, the kind you can flick across the room. Mine love chasing those and will regularly bring them back to me so I can launch them again.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I'm biased, but she totally is a beauty. She doesn't like being carried, unfortunately. She is super sweet so she won't hiss or scratch if you try, just wiggle around.
We've got one that's the exact same. If picked up, she wiggles around and plants her back feet and starts looking for landing pads. Needless to say, we don't try to carry her as she doesn't like it. But trust me - I want to carry her around haha. I love it when cats enjoy a good tour of the house.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry I don't have a cat rescue story to share but I followed the OP into the end and new pet threads are best threads. :) Congrats! She looks so happy and pretty and healthy.

We adopted a dog though from a rescue, too, he's been with us for ten+ years now and he's a grumpy cross breed teckel that still loves to play with his red ball toys.

Cats are still a mystery to me but I love when I'm at my brother's and his two kitties are around.

freshair

Nov 21, 2017
yayyyyy Mochi! So glad she found a stable home. Cats are the best. Now it sounds like she needs a friend... ๐Ÿ‘€

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Cats are still a mystery to me but I love when I'm at my brother's and his two kitties are around.
Cats are like roommates that love you. They want to hang out, but they also want privacy. They like to make decisions on their own and not be forced into situations unless they opt in themselves. Like if I ever have to trim my cats' nails, I'll just go sit in the bathroom with my SO and we'll the leave the door slightly cracked and chat. Without fail, a cat will show up 5 minutes later wondering what we're up to in there.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
That's a cute cat! Unfortunately my allergy makes my nose run just by watching the pictures.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
She's adorable! The extra toes are extra cute.

I've had my boy Roman for three years now - got him when he was 6 months old. He's the sweetest cat I've ever had.

vDzJHAi.jpg

He likes to lay between my legs too.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm legitimate surprised you didn't name them after one of the adopted children of Bruce Wayne