• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cross-posting my reddit post here:

A couple of weeks ago i builded my own bartop, inspired by the Tokyo arcades I visited last year (Sega towers, hey arcade and some taito stations).
I builded everything on my own except the wood parts (got them as a kit from a local arcade seller). I also got me some furnitures, a custom made Sega foot mat (like the Sega towers have in the entrances in akihabara), a blue light, printed some old arcade advertisment posters (thanks waifu2x upscaling :D ) and even got a racing wheel for cheap (like 15 € used).

Playing stuff like F-Zero AX (you can mod F-Zero GX to unlock AX), Outrun 2006 and Crazy Taxi with the wheel is better than i imagined!

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Here are some pics from the building process:

First trying out if everything fits:

JpnafgX.jpg

some speakers:

3nR8TsS.jpg

putting everything together:

UE4zUZi.jpg

stuffing some electronics in it! how does this all have space here?! (ryzen 3 3200G):

8MiV5ev.jpg

and done!:

jwht8aL.jpg

Turning it on for the first time:

Npz3VSu.jpg

And here are some pics from my very own finished arcade corner:

Sega Bartop front:
7WgDODW.jpg

Sega Bartop side:
mNw6jSw.jpg

2-Player Mode:
PBvZ0Nd.jpg

Racing Mode :D :
Rz1FtHy.jpg

"Night Mode":
xf9DX5L.jpg

And the posters i printed:

rDGtAEZ.jpg

xxoAjOB.jpg

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I want that corner too OP :(. Good job!

One day I'll do one of those too, but I keep moving lately so..

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like the KOF2K1 poster for some reason

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
This looks fantastic! Great job, love the posters and the black light, really cool touch.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
What's the brand name of the cabinet kit you used? I looks great? Can you buy it in the US?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
That's freaking awesome, OP!

That must've been a project that felt really satisfying to finish up, especially since it turned out so great!

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome. I love how the posters cover different generations. Having a couple from the '70s to early '80s would be perfect.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Great job. I recently got my arcade machine a while ago too, and that took a good amount of work to put together, so i know that building it from scratch probably took a shit ton of work.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Looks good, can't beat having a cab, I have a 4 player cocktail myself. What wheel is it? I was thinking of buying a G920 and use that for playing retro driving games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Very nice OP, the posters/art set it off very well.

For more inspiration you should check out "Last Gamer" on Youtube, he has been off for a few months but if you go through his playlist he has lots of arcade units as well.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Great stuff. I would only suggest an upgrade to that steering wheel. No need to spend too much, just a nice mid-range wheel that has screw mounts and force feedback.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great stuff. I would only suggest an upgrade to that steering wheel. No need to spend too much, just a nice mid-range wheel that has screw mounts and force feedback.
This thing has force feedback, and it also doesn't move an inch because I designed a special table for it. It's totally fine for my needs.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
That's damn awesome op, congrats! I'm sure you'll have many hours of fun in there.

I have a pretty large open space in my kitchen intended to be an arcade corner, but I don't have the know-how to even start it in any capacity. I might just splurge for a pre-built one. One day...one day.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's damn awesome op, congrats! I'm sure you'll have many hours of fun in there.

I have a pretty large open space in my kitchen intended to be an arcade corner, but I don't have the know-how to even start it in any capacity. I might just splurge for a pre-built one. One day...one day.
I was so overwhelmed when I got the wooden parts from the kit. Just take your time. Almost every day I did a little bit, step by step. Think about it as a long term project. You learn a ton of stuff (I learned at least).

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Nice work - looks amazing.

SOME might say putting Taito Space Invaders on a Sega cab is blasphemy though.
I would be one of those people. ;-)

Oct 26, 2017
Getting into arcade machines is really easy these days. You can start with one of those mini cabs and put anything in it, or you can track down an original cab. Or you can build one from scratch.

I kinda wish my cab wasn't such a huge beast because it's really unwieldy and one day that 20+ years old CRT monitor will just die. But it's also kind of amazing.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Thats one of my dreams when I buy a house, have my basement turned into a retro arcade hangout with Neogeo cabinets and of course can't forget Street Fighter 2

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
That looks great. I always think about doing something like this or build a pc and it just looks to daunting and I know I'll fuck something up.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Nice!!! Im hoping i can do this later on when get a bigger living space (and stop being a huge loser)