• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Seifer always felt disappointing as a rival. He looked like a bully lacking self-confidence.He was an antagonist, but it looked like he didn't really know why he was there. After working for Edeaand later Ultimecia, he just decides to fish and forget his resentment.

I feel the story wouldn't have changed much if he hadn't been there.He wasn't memorable as a boss, except for crushin Odin and getting wiped by Gilgamesh.

He wasn't the main antagonist for sure, but I find him so lacking.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seifer isn't Kain Highwind or Sephiroth, he definitely is just a bully trying to live out a dream.

FFVIII is subdued like that.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
He's interesting because of his link with Laguna. A large part of his personality was influenced by the movie Laguna was in (the movie set where an actual dragon appears) and he internalized it as his dream to be the knight to protect someone and wielding a similar weapon (he even has the same pose).

He's just a misguided teen who has big aspirations but knows that no one cares about him/believes in him to make them happen.

I do agree he's disappointing in that the rivalry never really was interesting between Seifer and Laguna past Dollet. There was no real conclusion, he just drifted away in favour of the batshit insane plot of lunar tears, moon travel and time compression

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Seifer is the opposite of Squall. Both are outcasts (at least in the beginning of the game) that struggle to fit in with society around them. Squall hides away from it while Seifer revels in it, becoming a bully. We watch as Squall gets everything that Seifer ever wanted (SeeD, Rinoa, the knight of a sorceress, the leader, loved by his friends) and Seifer go down in flames as he was lead astray.

I wish we got to see more of it but it was nice, both sides of the same coin sorta deal.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Seifer isn't Kain Highwind or Sephiroth, he definitely is just a bully trying to live out a dream.

FFVIII is subdued like that.

This.
He's also still basically a lost, orphan kid desperately trying to overcompensate and follow some unrealized & unrealistic dream of being a story book knight.

His vulnerability, like Squall's, is put on display eventually and he comes to realize that wall he put up was bullshit.
His smile during the ending? He'd made peace with things and I like to think he was proud of Squall & his fellow orphans for saving their timeline.

Great, subdued character.

XodiousBlack

Aug 16, 2018
He's interesting because of his link with Laguna. A large part of his personality was influenced by the movie Laguna was in (the movie set where an actual dragon appears) and he internalized it as his dream to be the knight to protect someone and wielding a similar weapon (he even has the same pose).

He's just a misguided teen who has big aspirations but knows that no one cares about him/believes in him to make them happen.

I do agree he's disappointing in that the rivalry never really was interesting between Seifer and Laguna past Dollet. There was no real conclusion, he just drifted away in favour of the batshit insane plot of lunar tears, moon travel and time compression
Goosebumps, My favorite int he series and I never noticed this...

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
This.
He's also still basically a lost, orphan kid desperately trying to overcompensate and follow some unrealized & unrealistic dream of being a story book knight.

His vulnerability, like Squall's, is put on display eventually and he comes to realize that wall he put up was bullshit.
His smile during the ending? He'd made peace with things and I like to think he was proud of Squall & his fellow orphans for saving their timeline.

Great, subdued character.

I wonder what happened to Seifer after the fact. The guy left Garden and assisted Edea/Ultimecia so what's next for him? I'd like to picture him settling in Balamb as a fisherman. Raijin likes the fish anyhow.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Why was he never punished for his actions? That always bothered me. He should be in fucking jail

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
you should ... he's lame

edit:
He's like a not cool Groose without redemption.
so... Just a brain washed bully

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Having just finished FF8 for the first time I actually really liked his character. It kind of blew my mind when I realised he'd built his dream off of the movie that Laguna starred in.

I think my only real issue was that you never really get a good conclusion on his relationship with Squall. You do get a final confrontation with him but there's nothing following that which actually furthers their relationship. The most you get is him smiling at the Garden during the ending, which says he's put any of his animosity towards Squall and the rest of the gang behind him. It's just a shame there wasn't anything more direct than that.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why was he never punished for his actions? That always bothered me. He should be in fucking jail

Ultimecia fucked with his head. Some of the resentment was definitely real and he was always arrogant, but she amplified it. I don't believe he would've done any of the things he did without her manipulation.

I've always liked Seifer but he really got robbed at the end in terms of character development. It annoys me that he never got to redeem himself and rejoin the party. Since the game never makes it totally clear how much he was influenced, his epilogue scene feels pretty unearned.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem with Seifer is that he basically up and disappears at the end of the third disc. He is last seen feeding Rinoa to Adel and then we don't see a proper redemption for him or him breaking free of Ultimecia's control. You are just left assuming that everyone is totally okay with the atrocities he helped commit.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
One of my favourite things about Seifer was that he wasn't cartoonishly hateful towards Squall like other examples of the trope would be. I've always really liked the little moment they share in Dollet where they bond a bit, and then later when Seifer vents to Squall that they could have been considered heroes if it weren't for Garden calling them back.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem with Seifer is that he basically up and disappears at the end of the third disc. He is last seen feeding Rinoa to Adel and then we don't see a proper redemption for him or him breaking free of Ultimecia's control. You are just left assuming that everyone is totally okay with the atrocities he helped commit.

Well, remember that Ultimecia can straight up mind control people, and it's all but stated she pulled that on Seifer when he took Deling hostage.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I wonder what happened to Seifer after the fact. The guy left Garden and assisted Edea/Ultimecia so what's next for him? I'd like to picture him settling in Balamb as a fisherman. Raijin likes the fish anyhow.

Good thing Cid is a good man and Edea came back- otherwise execution and/or imprisonment for treason. 😅

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He looked like a bully lacking self-confidence.He was an antagonist, but it looked like he didn't really know why he was there.

That's what makes him great. Seifer isn't some great murderous tyrant, he's a weak kid with issues who got roped up into a big ordeal because Ultimecia was able to manipulate his dream of becoming a sorceress's knight and make him blindly follow her. When you fight Seifer at the end of disc 3 he knows that he's fucked up but doesn't want to stop as he feels like he'd gone too far. There's a good person inside Seifer, but his weaknesses leave him open to manipulation, so the fact he doesn't just get offed like every other FF rival is dope because he just like everyone else deserves a happy ending after going through what he went through.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing antagonist. He essentially is a version of Squall that went to a darker path. His ending also mirrors Squall that in the end, it was his friends that ended up saving him.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
There's an unfortunate flaw with FFVIII. Few things get a follow up that deserve it. Such as Deling City. The President has been, for all intents and purposes assassinated, and you don't get a follow up on the Galbadia's political situation once Edea recovers despite them taking a prominent role in discs 1 and 2. Seifer is a consequence of that lack of follow through. Disc 3 is definitely the weakest disc in terms of story.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
There's an unfortunate flaw with FFVIII. Few things get a follow up that deserve it. Such as Deling City. The President has been, for all intents and purposes assassinated, and you don't get a follow up on the Galbadia's political situation once Edea recovers despite them taking a prominent role in discs 1 and 2. Seifer is a consequence of that lack of follow through. Disc 3 is definitely the weakest disc in terms of story.
The game was unfortunately rushed, Seifer's arc is complete but it certainly feels like they skipped a few beats towards his resolution.