• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you beat/finished the story in Breath of the Wild?

• Ummm.... duh. Of course I finished it. What kinda question is that???

Votes: 438 45.1%
  • Still playing. I plan on finishing it eventually.

Votes: 68 7.0%
  • Nope. I'm similar to you, Medi. I don't care to finish it.

Votes: 135 13.9%
  • I haven't bought the game... but thanks for the poll option!

Votes: 39 4.0%
  • I dropped the game but I might or might not return to it someday.

Votes: 132 13.6%
  • I finished the story, but agree that there's no incentive to

Votes: 159 16.4%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
It's what happens when the writers have no idea what order you'll see any of the scenes in, let alone how many hours are going to pass between them, or if you'll ever even see them all.

It wasn't a priority (like most of the Zelda games).

Also, if you do finish it, it just rewinds again before the end. Nothing changes. If killing Ganon is the finish, then you can do it very shortly into the game without seeing most of the flashback scenes.

Nearly everything is optional, and I think Ganon and the cutscenes is just another option.
So I'm not surprised when there isn't much to the story.

The game is definitely about the journey and not the destination.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I finished the "story" but yeah, once I did everything possible I did it jut to wrap things up, not because I felt the desire to, the whole fight took me like 5 minutes bar the "final phase" on the plains.

Completely disappointed in the story (the amazing story trailer hugely contributed to that disappointment), annoyed by the weapon durability [yeah I know, ammo, still hated it] and fedex quests but loved pretty much everything else, however I mainly play games for their stories so all in all BotW didn't really impress me as much as it did other people.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It's what happens when the writers have no idea what order you'll see any of the scenes in, let alone how many hours are going to pass between them, or if you'll ever even see them all.

Idk if this is really a good reason. I could imagine removing the linear bits of OoT's adult half (do the dungeons in any order or not at all) and slight modifications to some scenes to account for it, and each individual slice of the story would remain impactful.

OoT was pretty non-sequential already and I don't think the story suffered for it.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I finished it 2x, on Wii U and Switch. On switch with the DLC stuff. Trials of the sword, the nightmares THE nightmares.... plz plz BOTW 2 let me carry over my upgraded master sword

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Idk if this is really a good reason. I could imagine removing the linear bits of OoT's adult half (do the dungeons in any order or not at all) and slight modifications to some scenes to account for it, and each individual slice of the story would remain impactful.

OoT was pretty non-sequential already and I don't think the story suffered for it.

There's a definitely a lot more structure in ocarina compared to open world games, and especially BotW.

I mean, without glitches, you can head straight from the tutorial to Ganon and see credits.
You never have to do any of the divine beasts. Hell, you can put 100 hours in and do most of content without the divine beasts.
All the items you ever need are on the great plateau.

There's not much of comparison.
I wish BotW had better story, but I think they're decision to not have definite structure past the great plateau made that become a really low priority. I think it made a lot of other things not go well either. It's probably my least favorite part of the game because of all of this.
I mean, the game never really grows more complex past the tutorial either. You only get stronger by getting damage numbers up, not new abilities. Every shrine could be your first one off the plateau, so they had to lower the bar for what could be in each.
Each of the divine beasts feels the same because they all have to be your first.

Ganon fight takes account of what you have done before (but only the beasts), but even that cant go too hard on you because theyre not sure if you're 40 or 100 hours in and what you have or havent seen.

They could have still tried on the story. But given that some might get it in a(n even more ) confusing manner, they probably didnt make it a priority.

I stopped playing because of the weapon durability mechanic. It got old fast. I may give it another go soon though.

It's a good game still. Just accept that you'll never use one weapon for a long time, but the game will constantly be giving you better stuff anyway. It's a weird way to play a game as normally we get to make builds or find something we like and lean into it, but they dont do that.
What do you get in return? Not much.
Maybe they just wanted the person who designed the spears not to get sad when nobody played spears, so they made everything break so eventually you had to use one.
Some say it's to make you use the physics and chemistry systems to fight, but those lose their efficacy real quick as the enemy health gets padded, but physics never gets a buff.

If you can just lose the attachment to weapons and the instinct to hoard good ones, you'll be fine. Combat is almost a losing transaction usually anyways. You lose weapon durability, and potentially health and weapons altogether. You maybe gain a tiny bit of material, weapons that could be worse, or maybe a little bit of money.
Uh.....I mean..
The game is still good, though, trust me. :)

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
The story was never really that important, it was only really there because, sadly, you couldn't really get away with something like this any more:
TLoZ_Introduction.png

What drove me through the game was the thought of exploring Hyrule Castle. "I wonder if I can actually climb the tallest spire..."

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Never finished it. Put over 120 hours into it, got into the castle, looked around, never went back. Just never felt the need.

It was still my GOTY.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
How's Master Mode? I'm thinking about doing a run when they announce the release date for the sequel.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Breath of the Wild is my favourite ever game, I've spent almost 200 hours playing it, and I think it's an absolute masterpiece.

I only went to Hyrule Castle once to grab the Memory, and until recently I doubted very much that I'd ever "beat" the game.

The announcement of a sequel changes things, I'll pretty much have to beat it before playing the next one.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I was in your position until my girlfriend got me back into it and motivated me to complete the game with the true ending. Once it got its hooks into me again, I was so glad I finished it

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
It's not about the destination but the journey. Breath of the Wild is the purest Zelda has been since the original. Minimal story and interruptions in the gameplay. Your goal is to stop Ganon and save Zelda and Hyrule, go. It's about exploration, taking in nature, and overcoming challenges in your own way. The story can be as long or as short as you want it to be.

Jun 2, 2018
Northern Ireland
I love what they did with Ganon in this game. That said, I haven't made it to Hyrule Castle yet, I only started the game two weeks ago (got about 40 hours on the clock at present, 3 beasts down).

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
On vacation right now with the Switch and I just can't muster any desire to continue with BotW. Maybe I'll pop it in tonight and see if I can stay interested.

I'm mostly playing Katamari Damacy.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I bought it because it was a launch game. If it came out today I doubt I'd buy it.

The game is fine, but a lot of things about it are just not fun. Yes, weapons breaking is a big part of that.

Maybe I'll go back someday, but it was really just a thing I played to show off the Switch. 8/10 game at best, in my opinion.

Oct 29, 2017
Story aside, if one main goal is exploration, I imagine one would still want to see what's inside the spooky castle in the middle of the map.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I beat it within a few weeks of it coming out and found the story entirely underwhelming. On the plus side, the game didn't focus on motion controls so I could still get myself to finish it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah I feel you. I've dropped the game long time ago, but kinda want to get back to it since I haven't even done any of the Divine Beasts. Buuuuut it bums me out how the story and characters are, so it's really hard to pick it up again. I think I've played it about 80 hours just exploring and doing the shrines, so it's not that I wouldn't like the game. But the strenght of the game is exploration, not the storytelling. And it feels like I've had my fill of just dicking around.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
beat it 100 hours in, wish I did so at like the 30 hour mark when I had not completed any divine beasts yet.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've had the iconic Breath of the Wild since around launch day of the Nintendo Switch.

I love the beginning of the game. The beginning hours of the game are magical. You have barely any health. You have barely any stamina. You have barely any weapons. All you have is your wits. Man, the game is top tier in the beginning hours.

Skip to now and I have tons of weapons, health, and stamina. I got the Divine Beasts skills. I feel powerful and capable to take on almost everything.

So why don't I finish the game?

It's a weird feeling. It's kinda hard to explain. It's just… I really don't care about going to Hyrule Castle to fight Ganondorf. I just don't care. I don't think the game even cares either. If the game wanted me to care, it didn't do a good job enough to push me to care. I've played MANY Zelda games in the past and I always finished them. ALWAYS finished them. Twilight Princess? Finished. I actually even got emotional with that ending. Ocarina of Time? Finished. Another emotional ending. Wind Waker? Very emotional ending. A Link to the Past? Yep, I finished it. Even Phantom Hourglass? Oh, yeah. I finished it.

But Breath of the Wild? Nah. I haven't finished it and I don't even care. Maybe it's the story's fault? I don't hate the story or anything but it sure as hell isn't exciting. It sure as hell isn't engaging. Don't get me wrong. It has cool characters. Urbosa (please join Smash) is freaking awesome. The bird guy that plays the instrument is awesome. Sidon is… okay. The Shekiah tech stuff girl is cool. The guy that sells monster stuff is cool. Impa is cool. The Goddesses in the swimming pools are cool. There ARE various characters that I like.

But the story? I don't know, man. I'm actually even pretty generous and considerate when it comes to stories in video games too. The only Divine Beast Arc that I even liked was the Gerudo one. The bird Arc was so boring and it's shocking because it had alotta potential.

The only real fun I have now in the game is when I'm doing the Master Sword trials. It's pretty annoying that the iconic sword isn't unbreakable BUT…. The trials are SO worth it. They remind me of the lovely beginning hours of the game when you had nothing and you had to conquer hurdles and enemies.

So lemme ask ya'll… Have you finished Breath of the Wild? I'm probably in the minority. I bet most of ya'll beat it without a problem. Hahahaha maybe I'm the weird one with the problem.

Finished it but only after forcing myself to do so. I literally put the game down for weeks twice and made myself pick it up again. Didn't like the repetitive shrines too much or the Divine Beasts. The world was cool but empty imo. Story was meh.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tend not to finish games tbh, I'm more the type to just get very close to finishing it, only to then set it aside and eventually forget about it.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I did eventually but it took several tries and stops and starts.

I still have a thing or two to find (last fairy fountain for one) and I'd like to finish the dlc.

I'm glad I did it, but I don't exactly look back on the experience and think it was amazing.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda agree, nothing about the world gives meaning to gannendorf. His evil is not well expressed in the world other than there be enemies and ruins around the castle. all the inhabitants seem to be pretty much fine how it is right now and they all have little lives and the world looks to nice. All the towns seem to be doing pretty fine. There is no meaningful gathering of force to push you to defeating gannendorf. it just feels like an empty target. The beasts where great but then to be ready for that Castle fight.. maybe its a mix of not wanting it to be pretty much over.

Gananddorf is no sauron for sure. no mass dispersion of people pulled from their homes with you witnessing. no large armies marching and burning everything around them. everything is simply a bit too cute. and nice. Heck even all the enemies are funny and pleasant.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda agree, nothing about the world gives meaning to gannendorf. His evil is not well expressed in the world other than there be enemies and ruins around the castle. all the inhabitants seem to be pretty much fine how it is right now and they all have little lives and the world looks to nice. All the towns seem to be doing pretty fine. There is no meaningful gathering of force to push you to defeating gannendorf. it just feels like an empty target. The beasts where great but then to be ready for that Castle fight.. maybe its a mix of not wanting it to be pretty much over.

Gananddorf is no sauron for sure. no mass dispersion of people pulled from their homes with you witnessing. no large armies marching and burning everything around them. everything is simply a bit too cute. and nice. Heck even all the enemies are funny and pleasant.

They seem to have put all their eggs in the open-world basket of giving the player maximum freedom and nonlinearity, so the urgency and narrative is packed into the memories and the short Divine Beast quests. With the setting being 100 years after Hyrule is devastated, it makes sense that Hyrule is somewhat 'peaceful' and reduced to small settlements, with the Malice appearing here and there. There were these nice moments that reminded you of the ruined world, such as NPCs wandering near Guardian invested areas like the Akkala tower, or the Yiga soldier showing up in the Kakariko side quest, but there definitely could have been *more* of that.

Honestly I thought the story of the game was nice but I understand the lack of investment people had since everything is so spaced out. I don't think the DLC did any favors, it just added more memories as opposed to giving you the opportunity to interact with the Champions or their successors more. This is something the sequel has an opportunity to expand on.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They seem to have put all their eggs in the open-world basket of giving the player maximum freedom and nonlinearity, so the urgency and narrative is packed into the memories and the short Divine Beast quests. With the setting being 100 years after Hyrule is devastated, it makes sense that Hyrule is somewhat 'peaceful' and reduced to small settlements, with the Malice appearing here and there. There were these nice moments that reminded you of the ruined world, such as NPCs wandering near Guardian invested areas like the Akkala tower, or the Yiga soldier showing up in the Kakariko side quest, but there definitely could have been *more* of that.

Honestly I thought the story of the game was nice but I understand the lack of investment people had since everything is so spaced out. I don't think the DLC did any favors, it just added more memories as opposed to giving you the opportunity to interact with the Champions or their successors more. This is something the sequel has an opportunity to expand on.
I fully agree, I am pretty sure with the BOTW framework established and seeing how they are already presenting their sequel, part 2 will be a far more darker and story driven world! I am pretty sure as you mentioned with maybe more dramatic memories or actual things going on in the world they can enhance the feeling of wanting to fight for a world. Other than the call to adventure, there was very little that pushed you forward or added meaning to your adventure to slowly pull you in and push you forward.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
The story was awful, just garbage. It's amazing how they can put together an amazing game world but fail so badly in the narrative aspect. The gaming community puts up with mediocrity in writing.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
That transition indoors and outdoors
SO GOOD. And those horns at 1:53 of this made me feel more badass than I personally have any right to feel. Gave me some John Marston inside of Hyrule vibes.

It wasn't so much that the story built to this amazing crescendo but just more it was this hype culmination of always seeing Hyrule Castle looming over my 80+ hours with the game and finally stepping foot in there with this music and systematically dismantling those guardians, climbing that castle, ready to fuck Ganon's day up was worth the finish for me. It was a really great moment, personally.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
On my way to Hyrule Castle and there's a beautiful sunset... I just saved two people from getting hurt by monsters.

I might be a tad bit too hard on this game at times. This beautiful sunset is melting my heart. My God.
The whole open field around hyrule castle is a cool and stunning bit. It also being the center of distruction with the many guardians

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't consider beating Ganon and seeing end credits as "finishing" the game.

The actual story and hero's journey quest is a small part of the game. The story is simply there to guide you around to different parts of the map. Exploring the world and its secrets are what I would consider the main parts of the game.

To me, "finishing" BoTW would be revealing the entire map and solving all the shrine puzzles. Everything is basically a side activity in comparison.

Emotional Story Lore in Hyrule Castle causes thread backfire
OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
"With so much at stake, and so many eyes upon him, he feels it necessary to stay strong and to silently bear any burden"

"A feeling I (Zelda) know all too well...for him, it has caused him to stop outwardly expressing his thoughts and feelings"

Then I read what Zelda has been going through...

Ummm... I'll take the L. Wow. Actual powerful story. It took me a long time to get it but wow.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
"With so much at stake, and so many eyes upon him, he feels it necessary to stay strong and to silently bear any burden"

"A feeling I (Zelda) know all too well...for him, it has caused him to stop outwardly expressing his thoughts and feelings"

Then I read what Zelda has been going through...

Ummm... I'll take the L. Wow. Actual powerful story. It took me a long time to get it but wow.
Yep, we told you, I'm glad you finally saw the light, haha.