• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Along with the murder mysteries where we know know the culprit from the start and the overly friendly detective that annoys criminals into defeat, one of the components of Columbo's simple formula was that his opponents were all celebrities. The ones that weren't rich were famous, at least within a particular field. There's often a bit where they show off some luxury like caviar or fine wine which Columbo doesn't have regular access to.

Now, this was generally just meant as a fun, mildly cathartic thing. Hard-working blue collar Columbo takes down the big guy, and you get to see different environments related to whatever profession in each episode. I'm not sure I've seen this episode, but I think there's one where he take on a police chief, but it's just bringing down another bad guy rather an anything to do with corruption. Sometimes villains were spoofs of real life celebrities but there was rarely any apparent malice towards them, and sometimes the guest stars would be playing someone inspired by themselves; Johnny Cash is a gospel singer, William Shatner was an arrogant actor, and so on.

But nowadays, I think that even doing the same thing would have a much stronger catharsis factor. Wealth inequality has widened and become a more popular issue. Social media has led to the airing of a lot of celebrity dirty laundry. Imagine if the show ran with that, and we got Columbo going up against foes like:

- A Silicon Valley entrepreneur
- A wrestler
- A family-oriented sitcom star
- A YouTube influencer
- A Hollywood producer
- The president

I don't think any of these would be out of character for the original show in and of itself. Even keeping up with evolving technology was something the series tried to do. Obviously, it wouldn't be as simple as this to revive the show as to just pick villains out of the headlines - whoever plays Columbo would inevitably be compared to decades of the late Peter Falk's performances, which can't be easy. But I think it would have an opportunity in today's culture.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just uh, one more thing.

I could definitely see Ruffalo in that role.

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone post a picture of Mark Ruffalo where he looks like shit?

But in a charming way.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those things where nobody will ever do better than Peter Falk, so why bother?

Wate

May 22, 2019
Have to agree with no one being able to replace Peter Falk.
Mark Ruffalo is too old for Columbo.

Tom Holland is the only answer.
Totally agree with the age part, too. Young Columbo is most interesting because his two primary character traits (eccentricity and superlative detective skills) are pretty unremarkable in an older, experienced cop, but as a younger man it makes him a fascinating savant.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what they should do: a new Columbo series, but every episode has Columbo played by a different actor.

Open it up to anybody who wants it - any race, any gender.
Some do their best Peter Falk impression, some do their worst, some don't even bother and just play themselves but their name just happens to be Columbo.

It'd be a riot.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
Keep your Ruffalo, Vincent D'Onofrio is the only valid choice for that role.:D
Having watched him many moons ago on Law & Order, I was under the impression that he based his character on Columbo. Especially his come backs in what seemed to be dead end suspect interviews.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It wouldn't be Columbo without Peter Falk. I couldn't imagine a Columbo in this period either.

Maybe something similar would work though.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be ok with this, but the new Columbo would have to be somebody homely. Columbo feels like a grandfather to me. I'm thinking somebody along the same vein as Patrick Duffy, but not Patrick Duffy himself, because I can't separate him from his dad role on Step by Step anymore.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Can someone post a picture of Mark Ruffalo where he looks like shit?

But in a charming way.
Here ya go

fexJVUb.jpg

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I follow Natasha Lyonne on Twitter and there was suggestion she retweeted that they should bring back Columbo with her in the role. And she has the right presence and voice that fits it.

Oct 25, 2017
It as a Netflix serial with killer cameos would be amazing. I'm talking real A-list, or B at the very least. I wanna see Benedict Cumberbatch as a doctor getting a payout from a patient's death, Terry Crews as a gym owner who's wife and lover take a bad steroid batch, hell George Clooney as a shady nightclub owner. The possibilities are endless.

They should also get Shatner again because that's always fascinating to watch.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I've seen this episode, but I think there's one where he take on a police chief,

yeah,it is the police commissioner and Columbo catches him out beautifully .

William Shatner was an arrogant actor, and so on.

also a shock reporter radio host who is overprotective of his daughter.i'm pretty sure there is another as well,a much earlier character.

now the big question is should the new Columbo have a glass eye.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Ruffalo for the role based on Zodiac and his general Ruffality. He should be required to sacrifice an eye to show that he is truly dedicated to the part.
Ruffalo is the person I expected to see entering this thread.
Pretty sure Ruffalo had been pushing for this years ago
Yup. I remember being psyched for this back in the day

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
I like Ruffalo for the role based on Zodiac and his general Ruffality. He should be required to sacrifice an eye to show that he is truly dedicated to the part.

lol,don't they say Jared Leto is the ultimate method actor with all his suicide squad nonsense?

perhaps someone should offer him the part just to see if he'll go through with it.