• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching anime and reading manga on and off for well over more than half of my life at this point, and I still couldn't tell you what OVA means. Those are just anime I've watched and enjoyed.
Short episodic anime with relatively high production values not originally shown on TV.

Of course here's the king of 90s OVAs.
sNEDhou.png

Cyber Formula got 4 OVA sequels 5-8 episodes each. All of them MINDBLOWINGLY good. Each sequel better than the last and that's saying something because the TV series was already really good as is.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
War in the Pocket is so damn good. Watched it recently. It wasn't my favourite 0079 story, but it was definitely one of the best.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing comes close to Marcoss Plus.

It's such a shame what the series has turned into now, Delta was total garbage.

Oh and Guyver was basically my childhood, re-watched those 12 eps countless times.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Short episodic anime with relatively high production values not originally shown on TV.

Of course here's the king of 90s OVAs.
sNEDhou.png

Cyber Formula got 4 OVA sequels 5-8 episodes each. All of them MINDBLOWINGLY good. Each sequel better than the last and that's saying something because the TV series was already really good as is.

Started watching it (TV series) a week ago. So weird (and fantastic) to see hand drawn cars/machines in such huge amounts :)
I've already seen some clips of the OVAs on sakugabooru. Very hyped for it.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I remember buying Dangaioh ep 1 on VHS for $40. Thanks Suncoast. This era was so expensive -I never completed any OVA series. I just bought 1 or 2 VHS per series and would rewatch those episodes 100s of times. I think I can recite Bubblegum Crisis episode 1 line by line.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Ctrl+F "Bubblegum Crisis"
Nani the fuck?

MV5BOGFjYzI5MTQtZjhhMS00NjhlLTgyYzgtMzgyYTExZjA5OTk2L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

BGC is imo THE quintessential 80s/90s OVA. Really wish it was able to finish its original run, supposedly only having 3 or so episodes left. Perhaps the best OST of any anime ever (up there with the greats like Initial D, Cowboy Bebop, and Attack on Titan in that regard). You know budgets back then were overblown when you could devote a 3 CD soundtrack set JUST FOR THE VOCAL TRACKS. Some of those songs never even made it into the final show.

It's one of those OVAs I find myself returning to again and again. The character and mech designs are amazing (Sonoda is a god). The world is super interesting. The art and animation, especially in the later episodes is sublime. And Nene is one of the most charming characters in any anime I've seen. BGC is definitely in my top 10 anime of all time. Do yourself a favor and get the bluray from Animeigo (who's been distributing the show in the west since the late 80s). Just avoid the English dub like the plague (you simply do not dub the songs in BGC).

(I'm sure this video's been posted 3000 times when talking about the show)

I even imported a 20 year old poster from Japan for Scoop Chase, my favorite episode in the series.
20190907_151031.jpg

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
aOTcEEY.jpg

It was so exciting to know that an OVA was going to be released because you knew it was going to be a high quality release, not like now that when i hear an ova is announced for a series (for example) i'm like "meh, it's probably going to be a low budget poorly adapted arc or original story while we wait for a new season".

YES this is the best OVA ever created. 90s was the best anime era for me because of GitS, Macross Plus and fucking Mospeada.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
SeriousPessimisticCowrie-max-1mb.gif

The Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor, was my shit when I was young

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally going to add Detonator Orgun to the legitimately good pile. In particular, if you like Tekkaman Blade, you'd probably enjoy it.

While it does have unique aspects to the story, you can see Tekkaman Blade clearly lining up with this; most of the major characters have a rough equivalent. There's a whole bunch of little plot beats that seem like they carried over - for example, both Orgun and Blade transform into bio-mechanical beings even though it looks like they're wearing armour.

The action is also outright better, I'd say, since Orgun seems to prefer melee combat rather than spamming his beam attacks.

I'm actually not sure how one lead to the other, though. I know Obari's the director of Orgun and worked on the opening sequences of Tekkaman Blade, but there were different writers, a different director, a different studio. Did they both get this stuff from the original Tekkaman? Was Tatsunoko just heavily inspired by the OVA?