• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
A recent conversation on this board about message boards as a concept had me thinking:

I think many of us know that message boards, as a whole, aren't as frequent as the early days of the internet. I love posting on them but I certainly visited many more sites when I was younger and found random message boards via a web search. I honestly don't know if there has been an overall decrease in people using message boards, but I do feel as if there are fewer of them and they're more consolidated. When I was growing up, I posted on ANTAGONIST message boards on AOL. Antagonist...

giphy.gif

And there were a couple other gaming boards on AOL I was on. Then once my parents changed from AOL, I posted on the 1up message boards. Then I posted on IGN. Around the same time, PSX Extreme had decent activity (does it now?), you had GameFAQs then (which I think was busier), Battle.Net had more activity, I think there were several others, and a billion people had a different EZBoard for gaming. Man, EZBoards...

giphy.gif

There some smaller boards (like DayOnePatch which split from IGN), Waypoint, etc. but I feel like Reset/Reddit hold a supermajority of activity. I used to post around many boards years ago, but now it's mostly a couple boards for me because that's where the activity is. And all those boards had decent activity, but this is one of the busiest boards I've posted in besides GAF back in the day. Insiders mainly post on Reset (though nowadays everyone has their own Twitter to talk to readers/viewers), but I remember back in the day, Lorne Lanning popped up on PSX Extreme or David Jaffe posted on IGN when he was big with God of War.

I've read nothing and seen no data, so it's just me guessing, but I wonder if Reddit in general has caused many message boards to get less traffic or just shut down. Not in a nefarious way either. I'll put aside something like Twitter which is an easy way for celebrities/writers/directors/developers to talk to people about their work instead of a message board (which I'd assume means fewer people in the industry posting there): when you have every subject imaginable getting a subreddit (and I'm totally cool with that since there's a lot of fun stuff to read on Reddit), it's easy to find a board via Subreddit than googling the internet for a place to post. I used to post on several Beatles boards, but their traffic all died. However, the one Beatles subreddit gets plenty of activity, and if you know about Reddit, maybe you're just more likely to search for a subreddit than search for a message board somewhere else since it's under one umbrella.

I like browsing Reddit, so it's not a knock on it as a concept at all, and I enjoy posting here. I'm just thinking out loud that between that and formerly GAF (now Reset), you have a few mega-sites instead of a billion light/moderate-traffic boards, and maybe people eventually wanted fewer places to post.

Sorry if this sounds rambling or a Dear Diary post lol.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I actually met people in real life from my posting on Bolt.com politics boards lol

I feel comfortable saying that the Internet was way cooler twenty years ago. However, it was also a club and not nearly as accessible. I remember playing SOCOM around that time and you knew others were real players if they mentioned the phrase "green up" in real life haha. Point being, it was fun but there's no way that game made any money.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I think message boards are a remnant of an internet that was and is held on mostly by people like us from that era and will likely die with us. Doesn't mean there aren't younger members, but they are the kids who listen to Zeppelin and wear Doors t-shirts of the internet.

Maybe I'm wrong, the fuck do I know about youths.

edit: I guess I forgot to wrap that back around to your post. THEREFORE, it makes sense they will aggregate over time to hold on as long as possible.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Because people want lots of content and a large user base. Nothing worse than posting on some tiny board and not getting replies for days

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I've read nothing and seen no data, so it's just me guessing, but I wonder if Reddit in general has caused many message boards to get less traffic or just shut down. Not in a nefarious way either. I like browsing Reddit, so it's not a knock on it as a concept at all, and I enjoy posting here. I'm just thinking out loud that between that and formerly GAF (now Reset), you have a few mega-sites instead of a billion light/moderate-traffic boards, and maybe people eventually wanted fewer places to post.

This is pretty much what happened. Back in the day, you didn't have a central "hub" like Reddit which allowed one major sub forum for specific topics rather than having a bunch of mini sized forums for fans of a specific topic. Back in the day, there were tons of message boards for video games and things like that. Hell, there were probably a lot more than well ever know about it because those small message boards might have only had 10,15 users compared to some that had 50,100 etc. Reddit becoming a thing kind of killed any reasoning for people to invest in making forum boards now simply because why go there when you have thousands of people going on reddit to talk about the same thing.

On top of this, you got web hosting costs and the time investment of putting it together, getting it exposure etc. In these times, it's super hard to create anything really whether it's a Youtube channel, Twitch channel, podcast etc because everything is already in such a state of saturation that you have to be really entertaining or people have to see something really special in you in order for you to get attention.

So, going back to your idea of there being not a whole lot of message boards right now, you're right. And If there are, they're probably not that huge or they are huge for that specific crowd and have existed for a long period of time which made other small forums / message boards for those topics die out quickly. Also, there's Discord that exists too.

TLDR: Reddit becoming a major thing on the internet killed off a ton of internet message boards that used to exist. There were a ton of them, probably a lot more than we'll ever know, and these sites had their glory days before dying off. Certain huge forums that still exist today just happened to exist long enough that the crowds for those topics go to the huge existing longterm forum instead of attempting to make a new one from the ground up.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I miss the OLD gamespot.com. Back in 98-00, they were my go to site. Remember reading and checking out all the cool news stories on Dreamcast and PS2 from japan months before they launched here.

shazla

Oct 28, 2017
Pouring one out for the old Gamesradar UK forums.

I just don't get along with the Reddit UI, it feels really hard to stay on top of whats happening, or get to recognize particular users.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody talks about using Discord but I have yet to find any Discord channels that are good for discussing gaming. Most of them are reserved for special communities (like game specific) or they're so large that you can't keep up with any of the conversations due to chats moving so rapidly. I still prefer the message board format.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Not really sure if it's something we're 'allowed' to talk about, but is there any data on how big ResetEra is compared to NeoGAF? Since the switchover I've been under the impression that pretty much 99% of the userbase came over, but I'd be curious to see some actual numbers.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Planet namek message board was my shit back in middle school when I was big into DBZ.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I miss Pojo (especially the EZBoards version...) when everyone bickered about stupid stuff, like with Pokemon the debates that broke out whether to call the Johto legendaries "Legendary Dogs" or "Legendary Cats". Those were some good times, everyone had awful grammar, since most forum users were pre-teens/teens. The days of being young again...

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really sure if it's something we're 'allowed' to talk about, but is there any data on how big ResetEra is compared to NeoGAF? Since the switchover I've been under the impression that pretty much 99% of the userbase came over, but I'd be curious to see some actual numbers.

I've wondered that as well.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I dont even remember how I found this forum, but its nice as someone who plays games

didnt know it existed until like a year ago. never went to gaf either

Oct 28, 2017
If Era ever goes under, I'm out.

Posting on forums online really is a nasty habit. So much of my life wasted typing onto a screen.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still a member on an off-topic section for a fairly established if less Era-relevant game franchise. It's going on 15-20 years now with mostly the same core people and it's honestly one of my favourite spaces online, so yeah, I do miss them.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Everybody talks about using Discord but I have yet to find any Discord channels that are good for discussing gaming. Most of them are reserved for special communities (like game specific) or they're so large that you can't keep up with any of the conversations due to chats moving so rapidly. I still prefer the message board format.

It's easy to come and go during discussions via a message board set up. It's part of the reason I couldn't get into chat rooms with the same frequency as message boards during my AOL days.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I met some of my oldest friends through Serebii Forums, MFGG, and Pixeltendo. I used to really be into sprite comics and pixel art.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to any N-Philes, Zeldauniverse, Pgamers, GDTree, Smashworld, Pokemasters, and so many others survivors.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
1up message boards. 1upYours Radio discussion.

I cut my teeth there. Good times pretending Garnett gave a single shit about us and wasn't just surfing GAF all day.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reddit is just overwhelmingly efficient. I can post to a personal finance board and then post to an Age of Empires board. I still like Era, but if it dies, I'll just move to Reddit permanently... Just, stay away from the default Reddit subs. Those mostly are reposts of the same stuff. The best part of Reddit are the more obscure boards.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
According to Alexa, ResetEra is #5,702. That other site is #17,543.
I think NeoGAF was under 3000 at its best, and it quickly deteriorated after Era was started. It's interesting to see even Era being near 6000. Just goes to show how really niche this place is compared to actually big sites on the web

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Basically the whole internet has become centralized.

There used to be a dozen major social media networks that provided similar functionality. Now there's Facebook. There used to be a dozen image sharing services now there's Instagram.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
And there were a couple other gaming boards on AOL I was on. Then once my parents changed from AOL, I posted on the 1up message boards. Then I posted on IGN. Around the same time, PSX Extreme had decent activity (does it now?),

I'm actually the Reviews Editor at PSXE and sadly, no, the forums are all but dead, as we've moved to a Discord server. I'm not particularly a fan of the move, to be honest, but that seems to be the way a lot of sites are going when it comes to hosting community discussion and we're trying to be adaptive to what that community wants.

The PSXE forums were pretty much my very first internet home, so to speak, when I first began working for them back in 2001; I've been posting with a lot of those folks for close to 20 years now, and back when those forums were super active they sure were a lot of fun.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Hell yeah, I used to post on a ton of small boards. There was one I really liked called something like ChatPhiles(?) that was all about X-Files. It was really fun there. RIP.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Never letting go of forums. They're just laid out so much better than whatever reddit is and discord as well. More chill as well since ya can take your time in formulating responses compared to discord. What very lil I've used of that has just been miscellaneous random chitchat about no topic at hand in particular Bleh.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I think message boards are a remnant of an internet that was and is held on mostly by people like us from that era and will likely die with us. Doesn't mean there aren't younger members, but they are the kids who listen to Zeppelin and wear Doors t-shirts of the internet.

You're right, the vast majority of users on here are over 30. We're like old people still using black and white TVs.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Forums are just the easiest way to digest content. I can easily get a good portion of my news here and can actually follow discussions in the linear format in which they were originally held.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Reddit is just overwhelmingly efficient. I can post to a personal finance board and then post to an Age of Empires board. I still like Era, but if it dies, I'll just move to Reddit permanently... Just, stay away from the default Reddit subs. Those mostly are reposts of the same stuff. The best part of Reddit are the more obscure boards.

I lurk on Reddit, but I hate the upvote/downvote version of discussion, so I've never made an account. I just prefer viewing stuff in chronological order (something else a lot of social medoa aren't very good at...)