• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
While I love when developers try new IPs, I'm also perfectly fine with them doing remakes too. RE2 was amazing and I can't wait to get my hands on RE3 and FF7R

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I'm with you. I've loved this generation but the absolutely reliance on remakes and, massively worse, remasters to pad out release schedules has almost broken me.
Why though? We also barely got any remasters, compared to the huge number of new games releasing every day.

I can't say that I haven't enjoyed some, but we always have some remasters and remakes. I've enjoyed RE2 and I'm looking forward to FF7. But there have been SO MANY. Did we need Prototype and it's sequel remastered? How many people were asking for Ty the Tasmanian Tiger or fucking Cell Damage to be remastered? Did we really need a remake of Medieval? Really?
This topic is about remakes. It was explained a thousand times why remasters exist and why they are a good thing: There are so many benefits like financing niche franchises, reinvigorating interest in long absent games, very fast and cheap development etc. etc.

And yes we needed a remake of MediEvil. You don't care but many hardcore fans are ecstatic to see a decent game coming from a game series which was essentially dead for the last 20 years (especially since everyone was trying to forget the horrible PSP game).

You should see and acknowledge how excited people were when the Crash, Spyro, MediEvil, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy remakes were revealed and just be happy for them. Do you know what the best part about remakes and remasters is if they somehow still bother you? Just ignore them and play new stuff. How can their sole existence even bother you?

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how many remakes a year vs new games is there for this to be a significant problem?

Because I can tell you right now the ratio is definitely not in favor of the former

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
How many daring & fresh new AAA IPs do we actually even see? If anything most look to mitigate risk by following whatever hot industry trend of the moment(loot-shooter, battle royale, MOBA, checklist open world, etc..). And it's understandable, when the ones that actually try to provide unique experiences tend to underperform.

On the other hand, gaming's brief history is overflowing with cool, ambitious ideas(art, mechanics, narratives, worlds) that can be realized and/or reimagined in ways that were impossible at the time. In that remakes can serve as a good roadmap for devs, leading to experiences that feel fresher than your typical, modern day new IP.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
You should see and acknowledge how excited people were when the Crash, Spyro, MediEvil, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy remakes were revealed and just be happy for them. Do you know what the best part about remakes and remasters is if they somehow still bother you? Just ignore them and play new stuff. How can their sole existence even bother you?

How do you ignore FFVIIR? It's going to be blasted over everything. And every time you see an ad or a mention, you are going to be thinking instead of this game I've already seen and played, there could be a new game instead for me to play. Their sole existence is indeed a representation of many work hours that went in to games we've already experienced when new experiences could have been created with entirely new characters new plot and new settings.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many high quality, new games that come out every year, many of which can last over a hundred hours, that i think this whole premise is pretty silly tbh.

It's not like there are only ten games made every year and somehow remakes and/or remasters canabalize the creation of new IP in a meaningful way where the consumer literally cannot find a new game to play.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I think it's great the interest is there! Video games as an art form / industry are now old enough that we have "classics" unplayed by the majority of gamers.

Remakes are never going to get fully in the way of new content. FF16 is still happening for example, as is RE8. More than anything though, I think it's yet another reminder for console designers to realize how important backwards compatibility is for the medium when there's so much interest in old games. Especially if they want games to have longer sales legs, akin to movies. Modding should also become a bigger consideration, and Morrowind in 2020 (as well as the upcoming Skywind mod for Skyrim) is a great example of how to keep old games relevant without spending any additional dev time remaking them. I know a lot of people think that's a "lazy" approach from Bethesda, but I think it's forward thinking to spend so much time on robust mod tools, great for the core fans (who love the games enough to want to mod them more than they play them), and ultimately makes the games more approachable to future gamers who may not have even been born yet since mods can provide visual and mechanic overhauls that often improve the core experience. It's rare to find someone who thinks Morrowind is a worse game with a texture, draw distance, and combat overhaul, since the exploration and story is intact. It's why there's so much excitement for a remake of that story and world in Skyrim:

skywind-mod-screen.jpg

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
How do you ignore FFVIIR? It's going to be blasted over everything. And every time you see an ad or a mention, you are going to be thinking instead of this game I've already seen and played, there could be a new game instead for me to play. Their sole existence is indeed a representation of many work hours that went in to games we've already experienced when new experiences could have been created with entirely new characters new plot and new settings.
Isn't FFVIIR developed by their Division 1 and 16 by Division 2? You will get your new game regardless of the remake.
There are a ton of people like me who never played FFVII to begin with, so to me it'll be a new game. I'm sure you also haven't played ALL of the old games and one of those remakes can come in handy. Looking at the original FFVII and the remake, I'm also pretty certain it'll be a new experience regardless of whether you've played the original or not...

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't FFVIIR developed by their Division 1 and 16 by Division 2? You will get your new game regardless of the remake.
There are a ton of people like me who never played FFVII to begin with, so to me it'll be a new game. I'm sure you also haven't played ALL of the old games and one of those remakes can come in handy. Looking at the original FFVII and the remake, I'm also pretty certain it'll be a new experience regardless of whether you've played the original or not...

I think the point is instead of getting 1 new game, I could have more, 2 or 3 or 4 etc - and instead of getting 1,000 new games over the course of the year, I could have 1,500 or so - if there were 500 remakes. FFVIIR will still follow the same general story and uses the same setting with the same characters... you could instead be getting something with entirely never-before-seen characters in a new world and with entirely new enemies and villages etc.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
Let the people get what they ask for. A new experience does not mean it's automatically better either.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I mean we all know how long it takes Square to create games, you seriously think that they haven't reduced resources for the next FF iteration in favour of the FF7 remake. I havent heard of them increasing their employees massively to account for them taking FF7 fully in house. Its only logical that the next new IP will take longer as a result of the FF7 remake.
No I don't think that the next FF is affected, if anything the development of FF7 would be beneficial for them since they switched engines, there is a big gap between final fantasy games anyway so why not put a remake in between.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
When a game runs with subpar performance (30fps), I would always prefer a remastered version with better performance. The Last of Us is so much better in 60fps and so will be the PS5 version of TLoU2 (should be a given).

In fact I hope they bring as many PS4 classics as possible to PS5 in 60fps. The Witcher 3, Death Stranding, Control, etc. 30fps is always a technical compromise; 60 upwards is the way games are meant to be played.

And this concludes my daily essay about how better performance is always preferable.

Last edited:

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the point is instead of getting 1 new game, I could have more, 2 or 3 or 4 etc - and instead of getting 1,000 new games over the course of the year, I could have 1,500 or so - if there were 500 remakes. FFVIIR will still follow the same general story and uses the same setting with the same characters... you could instead be getting something with entirely never-before-seen characters in a new world and with entirely new enemies and villages etc.
Just cus a game is new doesn't mean it'll be good. I think a lot of people would prefer a new version of a great game vs another XV or XIII.

Thats on top of the fact that millions of people never played VII and will never have the same experience of those that did. Lets face it, technology has come a long ass wayand even a remake promises to be a markably different experience.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
At this moment I don't think there's too many or too few of any type of game, be it new games, sequels, remakes, remasters. So I don't really see the issue?

Plus the bar is really being raised on what a remake even is, to me. Stuff like the Resi 2 Remake, it doesn't make the original obsolete because, despite being a remake, they're so different. The fact that it's not by definition a 'new game' doesn't stop it being a brand new and unique experience, which is surely what matters. I feel like that's being missed, here.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Just what ViewtifulJC said. Take my word for it when I say that some terrible FF games have been cancelled this gen. Be glad we're getting a very good remake instead of a new turd. If you prefer still new games regardless of quality then PSN and Steam are essentially your big rubbish bin buffet - so go ahead and dive in.

VGEsoterica

Dec 10, 2019
It's probably telling we want remakes vs new games. I'd say that says a lot of the new games aren't as loved or valued as past releases. Moving nostalgia aside, when half the new biggest games are all multiplayer FPS or battle royal style games, we start wanting new versions of past experiences we really enjoyed.

I don't need remakes, but I DO need new, fresh idea IP's and not COD 47

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Thats assuming the new experience will be good. Would rather replay Mass Effect 2 than anything Bioware has made this generation.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you. I've loved this generation but the absolutely reliance on remakes and, massively worse, remasters to pad out release schedules has almost broken me.

I can't say that I haven't enjoyed some, but we always have some remasters and remakes. I've enjoyed RE2 and I'm looking forward to FF7. But there have been SO MANY. Did we need Prototype and it's sequel remastered? How many people were asking for Ty the Tasmanian Tiger or fucking Cell Damage to be remastered? Did we really need a remake of Medieval? Really?
Nah.

Medievil remake was one of the best thing that happened this gen. The fact the series might be revived cause of the good sales is awesome. We got a new version of a very loved game and the series is revived. Win win.

Also why is remasters of old games a bad thing? They don't cost a lot to make and are a good way to provide the games for people who never did play them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No I don't think that the next FF is affected, if anything the development of FF7 would be beneficial for them since they switched engines, there is a big gap between final fantasy games anyway so why not put a remake in between.

The problem is that VIIR is four fucking parts. So for at least a decade (if not more), that one chunk of Square is only going to be working on that, reducing their output massively and preventing other games from coming out.

We all know Square only likes to talk about one "big" project at a time, so everything else is going to fall by the wayside until they're done with this insane project.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Most new experiences are filled with MTX. The old games aren't. This is kind of appealing so I support remastering all the older games that existed before the corruption lol.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. That's why I mostly focus on VR titles, where developers are still in that exciting phase of figuring out a new medium, and on indie titles, where innovation is more important that AAA production values.

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's perfectly fine to let a smaller studio remaster a game. Sometimes having a new game or IPO isn't attainable.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
That's true but at the same time, most of studios are creatively bankrupt so they're digging it as well, remaking classics is easy money without taking any risks.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
My main concern with remakes is if they block a rerelease of the original as the new one will get considered a replacement. In my experience that's rarely been the case outside of the most basic of remakes. RE2 is such a different game in both forms that I want access to both on modern platforms.

At least with FFVII the original is already available digitally on modern platforms.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There are a lot of new experiences released already every Monty so you are not losing anything. Its normal that people want remakes of beloved classics if we get things like RE2 or FFVIIR, the original is still there and we get a new spin with modern sensibilites and changes, specially in a field like videogames se dependent on technology where some things like graphics get old.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of new experiences released already every Monty so you are not losing anything. Its normal that people want remakes of beloved classics if we get things like RE2 or FFVIIR, the original is still there and we get a new spin with modern sensibilites and changes, specially in a field like videogames se dependent on technology where some things like graphics get old.

FFVIIR distracting Square Enix for a while means we won't get many big RPGs of any kind, since there are virtually no big RPGs left at all. It's basically Square Enix games or nothing, and if you aren't enthused by FFVIIR that means you've got nothing to play or look forward to.

Valtekken

Nov 7, 2017
Bari, Italy
Hard disagree, honestly.

First off, I legitmately have less and less stuff to play as time goes on because publishers keep on ruining or killing series I love while bringing literally nothing of value to the table (see EA murdering DS and giving us Anthem in a short period of time). Remakes mitigate that issue by giving me something I know I'll enjoy with a completely new and modern outlook.
Secondly, even if the games industry wasn't shit at handling its IPs, I'd still want remakes to show me what some games were truly meant to be when unshackled by the tech limitations of their times. I'll keep asking for a DMC1 Remake forever because I'm 100% certain that it'd be a vast improvement over the original, and that certainty only gets stronger as time goes on and the original shows its age more and more, for example.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
FFVIIR distracting Square Enix for a while means we won't get many big RPGs of any kind, since there are virtually no big RPGs left at all. It's basically Square Enix games or nothing, and if you aren't enthused by FFVIIR that means you've got nothing to play or look forward to.

I'd love to look forward to new FF games, it's been 20 years of rubbish.

Looking at the good job they've done with FF7R I'd like to see them tackle FF6. You've had 20 years of new stuff to enjoy while post FF9/10 it's been the Atacama desert for others. I have zero interest in FF online and FF11 still rankles today and FF has never been good since, up until they had some good material to work with in FF7R. I was surprised how good they've executed it, I'd given up hope on SE ever producing anything good. FF6R given it's SNES origin before the big shift to PS1 could be an incredible and very viable remake, a new experience with just a great template, which they seemingly need.

Maybe working on FF7R can make them see how badly off track they've been though?

Last edited:

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

So It boils down that you want the next FF from Square Enix. After FF XIII trilogy and FFXV I think i prefer SquareEnix busy with FFVII.

And is not like Square has one studio, they made KH3 at the same time, DQ11 definitive edition, Trials of Mana. And you have others like the next Tales, Granblue, Fairy Tail..

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would prefer new IPs too, if they are good, but in most cases they are not. Just look at FF-Games. Even tho i enjoyed FFXV the newer are nowhere near as good as the old one, so i will take remakes of old ones with open arms.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So It boils down that you want the next FF from Square Enix. After FF XIII trilogy and FFXV I think i prefer SquareEnix busy with FFVII.

And is not like Square has one studio, they made KH3 at the same time, DQ11 definitive edition, Trials of Mana. And you have others like the next Tales, Granblue, Fairy Tail..

I don't want anime RPGs. I want good JRPGs that aren't infested with bland, repetitive anime tropes and character designs, written and designed by otaku for otaku. It's been too damn long since we've had something like a Suikoden or a Final Fantasy Tactics in the world.

As for Square...I just want this remake over with as quickly as possible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well then you are asking from a niche of a niche. Sorry for you then but in this case we are talking about the most expected remake ever so its hard to fight against it.

I don't have a problem with the remake on a conceptual level. My issue is that they didn't need to remake a relatively short PS1 game in a way that completely dominates a decade or more of their dev output and costs players more than $200 even before inevitable DLC is factored into the equation. That's what I fight against.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
As a member of the user base, I can tell you that I often don't know what I want in a new experience, so I don't ask for it. But when I see a classic game made into a next gen masterpiece, it makes me wonder what other classic games could be made into masterpieces.

I also think we assume studios are going to continue to make new games.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed 1000%. The old experiences are all right there if you want to go back to them. And as someone primarily focused on retro games, that's what I frequently do. But I'm tired of seeing ports, remasters, and remakes pumped out over and over again. I'd much rather see creative folks creating new experiences today that will become something we love as retro 20 years from now.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't have a problem with the remake on a conceptual level. My issue is that they didn't need to remake a relatively short PS1 game in a way that completely dominates a decade or more of their dev output and costs players more than $200 even before inevitable DLC is factored into the equation. That's what I fight against.
I understand but they can work on multiple big projects, Kingdom Hearts 3, DQ11 and this FFVIIR have been on development concurrently at times, without counting smaller projects.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I understand but they can work on multiple big projects, Kingdom Hearts 3, DQ11 and this FFVIIR have been on development concurrently at times, without counting smaller projects.

The KH team isn't going to have anything substantial for at least four or five years now that KH3 is done, sadly. And if the Final Fantasy teams are stuck working on VIIR for the next decade, that leaves...not much to speak of, outside of contract projects with external devs.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of new games play it so safe, and are so uninteresting or monetized, a lot of us prefer older, better work.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
it's disingenuous to suggest that a remake, even a with enhancements a la spyro is the same kind of expense/investment as an original title of similar scope. Starting from something, especially an entire blueprint that defines every asset necessary will ALWAYS be less costly then starting from nothing. Additionally, because its based on something that is known to work much less time has to go into iterative design, which is a huge money suck. There's also the matter of the audience, which for a remake is less uncertain and therefore less of a risk.

Complaining about remakes instead of original entries: it's similar to people complaining about echo fighters in smash. Just because one got made, doesn't mean your favorite franchise got 'robbed' of development time.

Complaining about people wanting remakes: people like what they know, and they wont want something they don't know exists unless they are shown it.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
No, not every game is something a person has experienced and with the console's lack of BC, it just makes it harder to access the older games not to mention that games have completely updated visual and mechanics as well. RE2 is the first time I've experienced the game along with Shadow of Colossus and I'm going to be playing FF7R having never played the original before. There's plenty of gamers and whole generations who've never played them either. There's massive amounts of games AAA or Indie's releasing every year for those new experiences. A few remakes by each company is barely a percentage of gaming output each year and there's absolutely zero indication that it's preventing other games from being made and we know the series that are generally have remakes are getting sequels anyway because whose really thinking they aren't already making the next RE, Zelda FF etc.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The KH team isn't going to have anything substantial for at least four or five years now that KH3 is done, sadly. And if the Final Fantasy teams are stuck working on VIIR for the next decade, that leaves...not much to speak of, outside of contract projects with external devs.

So on the foresable figure there is no jrpg you are interested then?

Then this goes beyond the games remakes discussion an into a general RPGs one.