• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do ResetEras forum sections need a tweak?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I really enjoy using this forum. I mostly lurk to be honest, sometimes complain, even got a small ban! Oops. Thing is, I enjoyed using the site as there was a clear ish split between videogame news, and non videogame news. I could sort of keep up to date with games, and the world, with ease!

However, every day I see threads which are so loosely linked to videogames, it makes me wonder why it is in the gaming section. This day and age, barely any of the posts on the first page are related to new game discussion and opinion, it's all celebs who play games, other atrocities which are more news than gaming, and so on.

This is "e3 season"! There is new game news everywhere, all the time! ResetEra used to be the first place I would see any news but now I'm seeing things here a day later than I do elsewhere because of the shift

I don't know how to fix it OK, this is just a users opinion on a forum that I feel is losing the point.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Gaming side isn't only about talking about games, but everything that surrounds the gaming world. Scandals in gaming tourneys from prominent community members or celebrities doing content about games it's inside that.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
All of those things are gaming related. Start using the ignore thread function if you want a more streamlined experience.

The forums DO NOT need to split anymore. That was a nightmare.

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoy using this forum. I mostly lurk to be honest, sometimes complain, even got a small ban! Oops. Thing is, I enjoyed using the site as there was a clear ish split between videogame news, and non videogame news. I could sort of keep up to date with games, and the world, with ease!

However, every day I see threads which are so loosely linked to videogames, it makes me wonder why it is in the gaming section. This day and age, barely any of the posts on the first page are related to new game discussion and opinion, it's all celebs who play games, other atrocities which are more news than gaming, and so on.

This is "e3 season"! There is new game news everywhere, all the time! ResetEra used to be the first place I would see any news but now I'm seeing things here a day later than I do elsewhere because of the shift

I don't know how to fix it OK, this is just a users opinion on a forum that I feel is losing the point.

So, what you're saying is that you don't want "politics in your video game discussion", right?

Nah, I think it's perfectly fine this way. The description of the forum says: " The pulse of the gaming industry". If the gaming industry is full of horrible people, that's part of the pulse of it.

You can safely ignore any thread you don't need or want to read. And, if you're so inclined, there are tools that allow you to automatically hide them based on certain keywords.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey look, if it isn't our old friend "I just want to talk about video games! Why do we have to bring reality into this!"

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Video games are on fire right now and it's gonna show, no matter how you try to hide it.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Yeah some of the posts on the front page right now would be better suited for the off topic forum.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recommend either making more use of the ignore thread feature, or finding a forum/subreddit that more closely aligns to what you want.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Remember the gamer proverb

c4497801cd90d825ad3fcc3df0a52c989f16f98cr1-1920-1080v2_uhq.jpg

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I think it's good the way it is. I don't come into Gaming section expecting to see a thread about awful people doing awful stuff, I just want to discuss videogames, but then I am exposed to those kind of threads and that helps bring attention to these kinds of issues. They are part of the gaming world after all.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Video game sections covers whole industry and everything attached to it. The format is good as it is now, we tried splintering already and it was garbage.

Use ignore if it bothers you that much.

Oct 27, 2017
RIP OP, brace yourself for the tide that's facing you. Also era hasn't been the definitive source for information on all kinds of games and news for a while now.

But, for what it's worth, I dare say I agree with you.

OP
OP
A. D. Skinner

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I promise you, this is not a thread about "no politics in ma vidya games" so please do not push my post aside with comments like that.

The thread that tipped me was about Brie Larsons favourite Mario game...that isn't news. Every Jimquisition video doesn't need a thread.

Maybe if there were a set number of curated tags, and you could ignore a whole tag, or only view a specific filter of tags etc. Not tags made willy nilly by the OP but created by mods which you tick off as you make a post

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure why you're asking for changes if you're a self-professed lurker and aren't actually participating in threads? If you want some type of game preview aggregate or something maybe this just isn't the site for you.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with the current layout, but I also don't see some experimentation with possible forum organisation as a bad thing. I don't have any real ideas, but I don't see why the NeoGAF 'Gaming & Gaming General' setup is the end game of topic divisions.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, I think that's what makes these forums more interesting than others.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The thread that tipped me was about Brie Larsons favourite Mario game...that isn't news.
It is news actually. We've had many threads about male celebrities involvement in games with no pushback, so if the Brie Larson thread is what pushed you over the edge, you might want to think about why that is.

And I'll say it again, use the ignore thread function to tailor it to your liking. That's why it exists.

Dec 2, 2017
I always wonder when people make topics and threads like this, are you aware of how transparent you are? I assume you are and just don't care, but its weird.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What happened when they altered the forums last time?
They announced it without consulting the community (only "prominent" members), went through with it despite most of the community being against it, and then rolled it back after a couple of hours because they realized it was a huge mistake.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Absolutely agree with OP
Dozens of threads on alleged video game personalities, on marginal aspects related to video games
In my vision in the main you should talk about pure video game and leave other discussions in other sections that I would skip

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like another "keep politics out of muh vidya games" type thread. There's plenty of talk of "just video games". TLOU2 has several that are mostly focused on the game itself and not just some of the drama surrounding it.

Unfortunately there are a lot of shitty people in the world who are fortunately now being cracked down on, and that is also reflected on this site. It's a good thing that all the rapists, predators, workplace abusers, paedophiles & other crappy people are getting their due & that we discuss problematic practices in the industry. Take them as the welcome change & consequences for shitty people that they are, not as some deliberate blight against you just being able to enjoy video game( discussion)s without a care in the world.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
They probably won't change anything but you can ignore threads you don't care about. I do that regularly since I come here mostly for information and news, I couldn't care less about any streamer or streamer related things. I also couldn't care less about Jim's or Angry Joes opinion about TLOU2. These are usually the first threads that I ignore instantly.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
This is a forum, not a news site. It is what the users who post here make of it. If users didn't like the gaming related topics they wouldn't post in them, the topics would die, that's how forums generally work. Sure there's a few threads that could be bundled into one big topic, but gaming is a far reaching industry, it's not this tiny thing where literal video game news is the only thing going on anymore.

Pretty much every topic is related to video game's in some form, which is the point. I mean, who is the one decides how related to video games a topic has to be? And then how far does that end up going?

The irony is out of everything I just looked at this is the least related gaming topic on the first page at the moment, and probably belongs in off topic.
More so, you say that you mostly lurk, if you yourself aren't willing to create the environment you want to see then what's even the point of the topic.

Capricorn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious OP, what other sites do yo use to get your gaming news fix?

This is not a thin veiled request for an alternative for ERA, I like it here well enough. It's just that whenever I see something on Reddit or a big site it's very rare that ERA hasn't got a post about it yet in about an hour max, unless we're talking about pretty niche games.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I agree, OP. The ignore thread function is the next best thing so might as well use it.

Oct 25, 2017
Best to get your gaming related news from another website, for now. So many worthwhile gaming news gets buried here, or merely a mention at all.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is a forum, not a news site.

Exactly. A lot of people seems to want this to be something that it isn't, then gets angry. It's a forum, where people discuss anything gaming related, literally anything gaming related. It0s what a forum is.

It's not a new feeds, nor it should be.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So basically you want a separate "politics in gaming" section.

No

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
very thinly veiled "pls don't yuck my yum with stories of abuse i just wanna GET HYPE" thread

sorry bro the shit you like is tainted. all the shit anyone likes is tainted. it's a privilege if you get to stick your head in the sand. the very least you can do is be aware of what is happening. no one is making you post in threads you don't like and you can even put them on ignore.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Just curious OP, what other sites do yo use to get your gaming news fix?

This is not a thin veiled request for an alternative for ERA, I like it here well enough. It's just that whenever I see something on Reddit or a big site it's very rare that ERA hasn't got a post about it yet in about an hour max, unless we're talking about pretty niche games.

Dedicated subreddits like ps4 or xbone are mostly just as fast when it comes to news

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, but we aren't planning any major changes on this right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.