• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
When you consider that GTA V ran ok on weaker consoles than the Switch then there's not really any excuse for these new Pokemon games to have such dead looking environments.

Especially when Game Freak can get away with low res textures and save on performance due to the stylized look.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I think people expect waaay too much from gamefreak. Wayyyy, waaay too much. The game looks perfectly fine for a Pokémon game, people shouldn't be expecting the Witcher here.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty much what I expected. Game Freak are years behind the curve when it comes to tech and this game reflects that. It's not so much the visuals as the lack of life, the way most NPCs just stand still and the stilted Pokemon animations look very awkward.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't been following Pokemon since the original games back in the day. I was interested to see the first release of a Pokemon game on a home console, as something me and my school friends dreamed about at the time was an open-world Pokemon game for a home console. Over the years we'd always wonder why Nintendo never bothered to bring the franchise to the home console, especially as the open world RPG genre really started to take off. With that genre taking off, I also think my expectations for what a home console Pokemon game would be changed.

Seeing Sword and Shield for the first time was extremely underwhelming. I guess my lack of experience with the franchise was partially to blame. I had expected that moving to Switch would bring about a paradigm change in not only how the game looked, but also played. I was hoping to see a truly open world, with Pokemon flying high in the sky, heard's of others milling about, dense jungles and forests, etc. I wanted something that felt like a simulation of the Pokemon world, but what we got looks more like the GameBoy games brought to the home console.

On-top of that, the visuals were extremely sub-par in the initial trailer. I think I would have been happy if in sticking with the GameBoy formula GameFreak could have provided a visually impressive game. I wouldn't say the visuals on display are bad, though there have been a couple of rough spots, but I was hoping for something really impressive.

Anyway, that is my take on the game. I think I am going to pick it up anyway, as it is the first true home console Pokemon game and that is something I have been waiting 20 years for.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yokai Watch 4 looks better and it probably has a third or less of the budget, so I don't see how those criticisms are "insincere".

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not much of a compelling argument you have there OP. You don't think people are being sincere just because you like the way it looks? And then you embed a few ugly screen caps thinking that somehow supports your statement? What?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The art style is good but the tech is bad and from years of those dumb unreal engine mockups or Nintendo's other core titles on Switch I think many players expected the game to have a comparable level of tech behind it rather than a moderate jump over previous titles in the series

Billdrew

Apr 8, 2019
I think people expect waaay too much from gamefreak. Wayyyy, waaay too much. The game looks perfectly fine for a Pokémon game, people shouldn't be expecting the Witcher here.

But why shouldn't we challenge Game Freak in an effort to improve? Pokémon is an absolutely HUGE franchise, the mainline games deserve to be at least as polished and high quality as Nintendo's other big titles like Zelda. If we just roll over and say 'oh well I guess this is Game Freak' then we won't ever see an effort for them to catch up

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This doesn't even have a dynamic camera so of course it should be expected that it has decent backgrounds. But they are all static and viewed from one fixed perspective.

Still looks like a polished up 3DS version of the games. If you just wanted to remake those games, sword and shield is what would come out of it. Disappointing as it now has the power of the switch, which is able to run things like xenoblade, dragon quest 11 and the witcher 3.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Yokai Watch 4 looks better and it probably has a third or less of the budget, so I don't see how those criticisms are "insincere".
I can bring up screenshots of Yokai Watch 4 that will make SWSH textures look like they came from RDR2 in comparison. And that's without even mentioning YW runs at lower resolution with severe fps issues even when there's nothing going on

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I can bring up screenshots of Yokai Watch 4 that will make SWSH textures look like they came from RDR2 in comparison. And that's without even mentioning YW runs at lower resolution with severe fps issues even when there's nothing going on

May I ask where your certainty on S&Ss technical prowess comes from? You've praised a supposed 1080p resolution and lack of performance issues to me before and generally bring this up frequently. Are there any close looks and/or benchmarks out there already?

I mean, I don't even think this would be particularly impressive given visual fidelity and 30fps framerate, but nevertheless, for GameFreak completely stable 1080p @30fps (docked) would be quite the improvement.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
There's more stuff going on in a single battle of YW than in the entirety of SWSH. Of course it has rough edges here and there, you think Pokemon won't? What you've seen so far is what Gamefreak chose as the best the game has to offer. If history is anything to go by there will be plenty of places where the game will look and run like crap, that's not exclusive to YW.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
There's more stuff going on in a single battle of YW than in the entirety of SWSH. Of course it has rough edges here and there, you think Pokemon won't? What you've seen so far is what Gamefreak chose as the best the game has to offer. If history is anything to go by there will be plenty of places where the game will look and run like crap, that's not exclusive to YW.
YW lags in the first minutes of the game when the character talks to his mother inside the house and nobody is moving and the camera is static. It's that bad.
May I ask where your certainty on S&Ss technical prowess comes from? You've praised a supposed 1080p resolution and lack of performance issues to me before and generally bring this up frequently. Are there any close looks and/or benchmarks out there already?

I mean, I don't even think this would be particularly impressive given visual fidelity and 30fps framerate, but nevertheless, for GameFreak completely stable 1080p @30fps (docked) would be quite the improvement.
Just going by the footage we have, screenshots for resolution, and media impressions from playing the game

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Like what happened on the 3Ds, it took a bit for the new Pokemon generation to arrive to the Switch. The power leap between the 3DS and the Switch is likely the biggest ever for Nintendo Handhelds, so people obviously have high expectations for the first big Pokemon title (after all, Let's Go was yet another remake so it likely didn't get as big of a budget as SwSh).

And Game Freak... delivered? Maybe it's just me, but Pokemon Sword and Shield look really nice to the point where I'd call it one of the Switch's best looking games, especially on the most recent footage we've gotten. People have been nitpicking certain footage of the wild area to show how it looks "horrible" or whatever (tbf, it certainly didn't look the prettiest in the initial showing), but can people honestly say that this looks ugly?

region1.jpg

In_Game_Screenshot_2.0.jpg

71HFoXcRzgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This looks great for a Switch game, I really don't get it. The artstlye is nice and colorful, Pokemons on the wild area are very expressive, it's not a graphics benchmark but definitely not an ugly game. I have the slight feeling that the reason why the graphics in this game have been criticized is because of the pokedexit stuff, and it really is a shame because the actual game isn't bad-looking at all. What do you think?
we had breath of the wild on the Wii U, this looks not even close as good as that. and this is a much more powerful console than the Wii U

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I used to dream about Pokemon RPG with a full 3D world... in 2001. Lol. They finally made a version of it 20 years later and of course its half arsed. ITs not like Pokemon is profitable for them or anything to fund a decent game engine.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
It's the first mainline console pokemon game.
People will be a lot less tolerant to graphic quality and performance in general.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Yeah, but we still got Witcher 3 on it :P Also it's dynamic res not even 1080p all the time which is laughable. Also BotW and DQ11 are even more colorful.

There is nothing "laughable" about dynamic resolution, unless you are suggesting that every game out there is laughable. and no, BotW and DQ11 are not more colorful than this game.

No its not, and the art style is not as simple and charming as Pokemon, which has a smarter visual design that is easier to communicate. it catches your eye much more easily than YW4.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
I haven't been following Pokemon since the original games back in the day. I was interested to see the first release of a Pokemon game on a home console, as something me and my school friends dreamed about at the time was an open-world Pokemon game for a home console. Over the years we'd always wonder why Nintendo never bothered to bring the franchise to the home console, especially as the open world RPG genre really started to take off. With that genre taking off, I also think my expectations for what a home console Pokemon game would be changed.

Seeing Sword and Shield for the first time was extremely underwhelming. I guess my lack of experience with the franchise was partially to blame. I had expected that moving to Switch would bring about a paradigm change in not only how the game looked, but also played. I was hoping to see a truly open world, with Pokemon flying high in the sky, heard's of others milling about, dense jungles and forests, etc. I wanted something that felt like a simulation of the Pokemon world, but what we got looks more like the GameBoy games brought to the home console.

On-top of that, the visuals were extremely sub-par in the initial trailer. I think I would have been happy if in sticking with the GameBoy formula GameFreak could have provided a visually impressive game. I wouldn't say the visuals on display are bad, though there have been a couple of rough spots, but I was hoping for something really impressive.

Anyway, that is my take on the game. I think I am going to pick it up anyway, as it is the first true home console Pokemon game and that is something I have been waiting 20 years for.

You hit the nail on the head with exactly how I feel about it as well. I haven't really played a Pokémon game deeply since Gold and Silver. I vaguely remember playing Sapphire. I imagined after 20 years are so, a console version of this would be epic. But the initial reveal trailer was "alright."

Maybe we just had our expectations way to high. I thought Nintendo would pour millions and millions into a console version of the game being on par with a true open world rpg. But this just looks like an updated game of the already existing games.

My personal biggest criticism is the animations or lack thereof. Pokémon still don't actually make contact with each other when fighting. We still have non interacting animations 20 years later which blows my mind.

I'll still probably end up buying Sword but I expected a bigger transition than what was revealed.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Era: "dynamic 1080p is laughable"
Also Era: "Xenoblade 2 is what Pokémon should look like"

🥴

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Warned: Lazy dev rhetoric
Everyone had an idea in their head of what a console Pokemon game would be for many years. It was never going to live up to what was concocted in some people's heads.

Also, it does look kind of lazy. The world is so...sparse.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
There is nothing "laughable" about dynamic resolution, unless you are suggesting that every game out there is laughable. and no, BotW and DQ11 are not more colorful than this game.

No its not, and the art style is not as simple and charming as Pokemon, which has a smarter visual design that is easier to communicate. it catches your eye much more easily than YW4.

The visual design caught my eye for the wrong reason. Everything reeks of lazy design.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone had an idea in their head of what a console Pokemon game would be for many years. It was never going to live up to what was concocted in some people's heads.

Also, it does look kind of lazy. The world is so...sparse.
While the wild area can look sparse, towns and routes are full to the brim with details

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The more enclosed routes and towns look quite nice and charming, here the simple but pretty art style shines. The more open areas do look admittedly bad though, they feel sterile, empty, devoid of any detail.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
OP, your screenshots are old, there are NPC now.

People had so much expectations of course a lot are disappointed. The problem is to expect things because of the technical leap. It doesn't work like that.

I think they delivered. At least, it is way better than my expectations.
environmental texture work is muddy
Like in most open switch games, BoTW included.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
the wild area is WOW so ugly and plain looking... I would almost forgive it on Wii or something... but c'mon, nothing insincere about fugly

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like your typical Japanese b-tier JRPG. Basically PS2 graphics in HD. The artstyle saves a lot and it still looks cute but people expect more from the biggest gaming franchise on the planet. I was always hoping for a Pokémon game with graphics as good as the first Ni No Kuni game.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Pokémon Black/White(2010)(DS) sold 16million units
Pokémon X/Y(2013)(3DS) 16million units sold
Pokémon Sun and Moon(2016)(3DS) 16million units sold

And inbetween those years they sold 2 sequal titles each selling about 8 million. All on one console. Published basically by the company itself.

Those are numbers Assassins Creed, Fifa and Cod only manage to make on all platforms. It's crazy how much less ambition Pokemon games have while still being released almost yearly. At this point they are just products made to advance the franchise like those yearly sports games.

It's utterly disappointing but not suprising.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's always been a dishonest statement when its a measure of the IP's earnings and not the games. We don't live in a utopia where companies output relative to their earnings. That's why League of Legends looked unimpressive and lacked so many features for so many years relative to its popularity. I don't expect Indie devs who sold millions of copies to start spending a fortune producing massive games either, ie. Deltarune is still going to be in the same realm.
No, it's not a dishonest statement when these games sell more than most AAA gaming franchises with state of the art graphics still. You don't even have to look at the crapton of money they make with everything else, their games would be enough.

But the games sell regardless so why should they improve? That's really the only reason why they don't, they don't have to. If the games cost less to make, their revenue increases. If they can't sell millions more by improving the graphics (or anything really), they won't do it. That's all there is to it and it sucks.

Gamefreak isn't an indie studio, and with the amount of money they make they shouldn't have any problems whatsoever to like, double in size.

Last edited:

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
LOL I got an infraction for saying the game kinda looked lazy. Mods on this site are a little too ban happy. I'll probably get banned for saying this, so bye y'all.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
But why shouldn't we challenge Game Freak in an effort to improve? Pokémon is an absolutely HUGE franchise, the mainline games deserve to be at least as polished and high quality as Nintendo's other big titles like Zelda. If we just roll over and say 'oh well I guess this is Game Freak' then we won't ever see an effort for them to catch up

It is not the main focus of the games, it has never been, it looks more than good enough for what it is and for what it is trying to achieve, while keeping in mind Switch capabilities and what it is trying to achieve.

Btw, we should also challenge Rocket League devs to make the game as good looking as Gran Turismo, and we also should challenge Minecraft and Fortnite devs to challenge The Witcher and Battlefield. because why not? they sell well and they make money!

No one is talking about art style here.

It is a very important part of the whole visual design of the game, it is intended to be simple and easily communicated for younger player to understand it clearly.

This is Pokemon, and it is what it is.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like your typical Japanese b-tier JRPG. Basically PS2 graphics in HD. The artstyle saves a lot and it still looks cute but people expect more from the biggest gaming franchise on the planet. I was always hoping for a Pokémon game with graphics as good as the first Ni No Kuni game.
When people say insincere they refer to these PS2 in HD comments
Pokémon Black/White(2010)(DS) sold 16million units
Pokémon X/Y(2013)(3DS) 16million units sold
Pokémon Sun and Moon(2016)(3DS) 16million units sold

And inbetween those years they sold 2 sequal titles each selling about 8 million. All on one console. Published basically by the company itself.

Those are numbers Assassins Creed, Fifa and Cod only manage to make on all platforms. It's crazy how much less ambition Pokemon games have while still being released almost yearly. At this point they are just products made to advance the franchise like those yearly sports games.

It's utterly disappointing but not suprising.
Many outlets just called the game ambitious after playing it.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Yes! Yes, this is exactly what I am talking about! There needs to be a trade-off. The graphics and animations are not good enough to be one! Of course I would be okay with that, but we are not getting that. We are getting just another Pokémon game, with a few steps forward and a few steps back, and now we don't even have the whole roster. I am glad you finally understand that.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
When people say insincere they refer to these PS2 in HD comments

Many outlets just called the game ambitious after playing it.
Even after being disappointed I would call it the most ambitious Pokemon game yet. Obviously, as it's the newest in the franchise and had to somewhat adjust to the new hardware. Any game going from 3DS to current gen console should be called the most ambitious. If not then we would have a way bigger problem lol.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Wild area just looks kinda muddy to me. And not in a deliberate artistic sense; you can make empty areas look quite nice without too many assets such as BotW and DQ11. The routes look lovely and cosy to me though. As for not many people being around... well... it is based on the UK and to be honest even on a Saturday a lot of places are pretty quiet.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Why not? It's being sold for the same price.

Why do game freak deserve special treatment?

They don't deserve special treatment but folks have to temper expectations on their early HD titles.

Plus my personal opinion of Gamefreak is they're a terrible development company but we're stuck with them.

Asking Gamefreak not to be anything but mediocre is like asking Donald Trump not to be racist.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The thread has been more or less civil up to this point let's not start fighting

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It is not the main focus of the games, it has never been, it looks more than good enough for what it is and for what it is trying to achieve, while keeping in mind Switch capabilities and what it is trying to achieve.

Btw, we should also challenge Rocket League devs to make the game as good looking as Gran Turismo, and we also should challenge Minecraft and Fortnite devs to challenge The Witcher and Battlefield. because why not? they sell well and they make money!

It is a very important part of the whole visual design of the game, it is intended to be simple and easily communicated for younger player to understand it clearly.

This is Pokemon, and it is what it is.
Nobody is asking for Pokemon to look like Battlefield, Jesus Christ.

Next you're going to say Pokemon XY absolute crap fps was a stylistic choice because the kids like it that way and we shouldn't have complained.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like an AA jrpg. It's not awful but I expected better and hope they can do better next gen.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Even after being disappointed I would call it the most ambitious Pokemon game yet. Obviously, as it's the newest in the franchise and had to somewhat adjust to the new hardware. Any game going from 3DS to current gen console should be called the most ambitious. If not then we would have a way bigger problem lol.
That's not necessarily true. The game could have been a Let's Go 2.0 with the competitive features added back in but it wasn't

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
essCzN1_d.webp

Totally understandable for a franchise that sells 15 million units every year;
outstanding effort ...