• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When it comes to making eye contact, feeling comfortable with human interaction in general, carrying conversations.

I'm 34 and I've managed to build an actual career and can turn "it" on in spurts. But otherwise I'm an anxious, self deprecating mess and don't feel like I fit in anywhere.
Anyone else feel the same way?
I do really well when I stop caring, but it depends on the environment.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I very much used to, but realizing that literally everyone out there is making it up as they go really makes me feel better.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing I've learned since growing up is that age doesn't actually equal maturity, loads of people are just as socially inept as children, and everyone is making it up as they go along.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty much in the same boat at 37, although without any actual career success. I'm finding that the longer I'm away from situations that require me to act confidently, the harder it is to act confident. I moved from the customer service side of our family business over to the design and production side a few years ago. Today I have to watch the shop and I'm just sitting here with a churning pit in my stomach and having such a bad bout of anxiety over the thought that I'll have to talk to someone and act like I'm a professional that knows what I'm doing, even though I'm mostly a professional that knows what I'm doing.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
If you can make your own living, you're already doing better than me. (Mental illness prevents me from working.) Forgive yourself for not living up to an unrealistic ideal.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25445

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks everyone. Sometimes I get so self conscious because I look naturally angry when I'm really just anxious and it can look like I'm a snob. It sucks.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I used to fell that way for a long time and the hundreds of failed job interviews also didn't help my confidence. But luckily I ended up at a place where I'm part of a team and every idea and concern I have I have is heard. I've grown a lot more confident and comfortable with myself in only a year.

So hang in there, keep looking for places where you can feel at home and before you know it you'll be able to have small talk with basically anyone.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone. Sometimes I get so self conscious because I look naturally angry when I'm really just anxious and it can look like I'm a snob. It sucks.

I know this feeling!

I think honestly most people are like this (as in nobody knows what they're doing). All adulthood seems to be is making stuff up as you go along.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
It takes a lot of practice. And most people, especially a lot of people that might post on say i dont know an online gaming message board, might not put themselves out there enough to practice it. I been there.

You say that you do better in certain environments, I'm guessing it's at home, work, or around people you're regularly around. That's why. If you're regularly out there, you get more and more used to it. You just have to understand that the first couple of times, you ARE going to still have those troubles. It takes a while for your brain to normalize the surrounding and associate it with your standard.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You sounds like me, even damn close to the age, too.

If I didn't have my wife and kids, I'd basically have no human interaction other than coworkers

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
When it comes to making eye contact, feeling comfortable with human interaction in general, carrying conversations.

I'm 34 and I've managed to build an actual career and can turn "it" on in spurts. But otherwise I'm an anxious, self deprecating mess and don't feel like I fit in anywhere.

congratulations you just figured out what it is to be an adult, just pretend you know your shit. everybody is faking it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is me.

I feel like the simplest things require significant effort for me, but I get the feeling that they are effortless/automatic for everyone else.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought there would be a certain age where you "just get it". That's a lie. We are all making shit up. Sucks that I still feel like 14 inside my head, but I'm getting old in my shell.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017

I have this same problem except I can't show emotions very well when I'm anxious so it looks and sounds like I don't give a shit about anything, which leads to some trouble sometimes.

I've learned to just not care what the perceived notion of being an adult is, and just act like I think / feel I should be.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
When I started forcing myself to make more eye contact I quickly learned that nobody else makes eye contact either.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017

I feel 100% the same way. You captured it really well.

I've been "diagnosed" with social anxiety, and sometimes I wonder when/it goes further than that. But I remember to go easy on myself... I've still been able to accomplish quite a lot despite my quirks/social deficiencies including finding a beautiful spouse and having a good job. My anxiety and what can stem from that from beating myself up (compulsive thoughts, addiction, etc) are self destructive and I now know it's no good going down that path in my brain.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is me every single day of my life, even with people I know. I work on it though. Just learning to be yourself around people really helps a lot.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
atleast you have a career, try having literally nothing and you'll be where im at

OP
OP

Deleted member 25445

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks everyone, you've been a really big help. Need to just not beat up on myself.

atleast you have a career, try having literally nothing and you'll be where im at

That used to be me, and it was awful, I know the feeling. Took some crazy risks and thankfully it worked out. I wish you luck man.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Growing up is coming to the realization that none of the adults you knew had any fucking clue what they were doing and now you get to be one of them

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I swear it is almost a daily occurrence that someone will ask me how my day is going, I will respond with something short like, "I'm fine" and then walk away, only to realize a full 5 minutes later, "Damn, I should have asked them how their day was going too!"

I don't know why it never sinks in.

So anyway, hopefully you're doing better than that. But if not, take solace in the fact that we're all fuck-ups sometimes.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the same exact way, OP. Even the part about looking angry all the time.

I have no idea how to fix it, but I've been thinking about going to a social anxiety support group or something from meetup.com. It seems like a good first step.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
I'm 30 and feel awkward and not like an adult constantly. Still working on the career and going to college this year in the fall for it so I expect to start feeling more awkward and out of place soon.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I'm good at it, I have massive anxiety about my job and how it could all just fall apart at any second. It helps a little to think that a lot of people feel this way, though.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I feel the same way, except that I don't really do the self depricating stuff in casual conversation.

I dunno what it is, but I feel like my brand of weirdness worked way better as a kid/teenager. As an adult I just feel immature.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be kind of like that until I became a father. That flipped a 'don't give a fuck' switch.
I've always had anxiety issues, but I had finally got to a place about a decade ago where I used to be all "I don't give a fuck" in a lot of ways.
Then, I became a father 5+ years ago, and now I'm a god damn mess in so many other ways.
Like, I have existential crises over the most mundane shit, and I'm incessantly worrying about our safety, less from other people potentially harming us and more along the lines of being maimed in an accident of some sort. It really hit the wall 2 years in with our first child when he was diagnosed with autism. I've never been the same since. I've blamed myself so much because I have severe, functionally-impairing OCD that I've incessantly been battling from early adolescence onward. As such, on top of all the other worries, I'm constantly worried that my OCD will get to the point where it interferes enough with my job to get me fired (it's waxes and wanes in intensity since it is stress induced).

Last edited: