• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
This is about stuff in the gaming forum, but concerns one's overall behavior less than gaming, so... here it is.

I ate a five day ban for the way the discussion went in a Pokemon thread, and honestly, I really deserved it. While I stand by the fact that I think some aspects of that particular matter have their problems, my own behavior was inflammatory and I shouldn't have gone that route. Far too often, my online activity comes down to me looking for a fight, which leads to me not only making snap judgements, it boils things down to black and white and extremities, where I can't see the shades of gray. So I'll equate one bad thing with another, regardless of whether that comparison is apt.

But if it were just that, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. Like I said, I went looking for a fight, and I cared more about winning than respecting others. In the end, I wanted to be right, to feel like I was "winning". It's frankly, disgustingly immature, and what's more, I need to realize I just don't know as much as I think I do.

I've made so many mistakes in my life, and I don't want this to be the kind I keep repeating. So yeah. I'm gonna try to work on it.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what happened but good on you for admitting you need to do some work on yourself. Take care.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only all the moderators who have ever banned me would beg for forgiveness.

And I will look down and whisper: "No"

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
This is about stuff in the gaming forum, but concerns one's overall behavior less than gaming, so... here it is.

I ate a five day ban for the way the discussion went in a Pokemon thread, and honestly, I really deserved it. While I stand by the fact that I think some aspects of that particular matter have their problems, my own behavior was inflammatory and I shouldn't have gone that route. Far too often, my online activity comes down to me looking for a fight, which leads to me not only making snap judgements, it boils things down to black and white and extremities, where I can't see the shades of gray. So I'll equate one bad thing with another, regardless of whether that comparison is apt.

But if it were just that, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. Like I said, I went looking for a fight, and I cared more about winning than respecting others. In the end, I wanted to be right, to feel like I was "winning". It's frankly, disgustingly immature, and what's more, I need to realize I just don't know as much as I think I do.

I've made so many mistakes in my life, and I don't want this to be the kind I keep repeating. So yeah. I'm gonna try to work on it.
Not sure what happened but I have noticed a general feeling of negativity on Era in the past few months. Everyone has a counter argument and it has become more of a competition to win an argument and show ones intelect than actually engage in discussion. Its always good to self reflect and grow. Good on you.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to believe anyone on this board went over the line and spouted our the most ridiculous shit in order to pick a fight with random users.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a prominent member, I never forgive anyone. Apology rejected, and I'm messaging Cerium to ban you from this forum.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I will only forgive you if you go to Nintendo headquarters and GameFreak studios - and have a giant sign in hand showcasing dedication for Blaziken to be in Smash Bros Ultimate.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to comment, but I am in a epic comment-war on reddit over whether or not Hope Hicks is being threatened with assassination by the US government.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Were you complaining about Gamefreak? Leave them alone. Their not lazy. Their just chill.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
If only all the moderators who have ever banned me would beg for forgiveness.

And I will look down and whisper: "No"

7JfWSZu.gif

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
We are fucking doomed. I just hope that when shit hits the fan, I will be at some place safe. Brazil isn't one of them, neither is the USA. I don't see how things could possibly get better without the escalation of a full blown world war, and it sucks because I made my living believing in the law. Believing in the system. Believing that people like me could hack the system and make this a better place.

Era seems like a safe place, but fucking isn't . If my head wasn't in a cool place, this place would be fucking toxic as fuck for me. And we question ourselves because shit like Etika happens. We are killing each other. We are punching down each other.

If I get a ban out of this, that's fucking ok. I just ended a relationship but I'm eager to meet this girl that I've been quite infatuated with but fate magically brought us together after we both just broke up. I don't really care about box office records and shit like that. I care about things that make me hopeful in the world we are fucking living in. I care about escapism, in order to be ready to fight in real life, with real world issues.

Do you want to break me, clique Era?

YOU. FUCKING. CAN'T.

The real world around us is worst than you but not even them could.

Would I be sad if I got banned? Yeah. I would. But I don't fucking feel welcome here, and when this place started, it felt like a safe haven from all the shit that is going on in the real world. I don't really blame Era for becoming a fucking monster. The world went to fucking shit. I get that, but I wish we could stand together, you know? My home team just got a big win. My life doesn't suck. I'm proud of the life I lead up until here, regardless how hopeless everything else, including fucking Era makes me feel. But this is the nightmare we are all living in, isn't? "Go out there and vote". I will. And I will fight. I have all the reasons for it.

I don't feel like I belong in this place. I'm fucking sick of the cliques and get hammered down every fucking day. This was supposed to be fucking safe haven for people like us. I've met crazy nice people. But the bad far much outweighs the good, and this goes all the way to the fucking top chain. Yep, I'm drunk, happy, crying and kinda proud of myself for having the guts to spell this shit out. We were supposed to be way fucking better than we are right now. We were supposed to not allow fucking bullies to thrive and shit over people like we do here.

And yet, we fucking are not. This has become a place of fucking cliques and shit like just the "old place" and other shitholes in the internet. And when all the people at the top are complacent, what makes this places better than the other places again?

And I'm fucking sick of it. Our world is fucking sick. Thank fucking the force I have a kick ass support system, thank the fuck I have good people, real life people around me. Because if I was suicidal, this place isn't fucking healthy. This place isn't healthy not even for people that are fucking healthy. We need to get fucking better on how we treat each other. The world has gone to fucking shit. Yes, FUCKING YES, ban permanently the bigots, the white supremacists, the homophobes, the transphobes, the racists, the sexists, the fucking rapists. But we need to learn to have more fucking empathy among ourselves, and remember that this was supposed to be fucking safe haven. Not for the fucking cliques. But for every fucking one of us.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
I got banned for taking the piss out of EGS vs Steam. Making fun of a suicidal young man is all well and good here, but HOW DARE YOU disrupt the sanctity of digital storefronts!

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
It's cool, man. Pokemon brings out the worst in all of us. It should be considered one of the taboo topics of polite conversation next to politics and religion.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know what got you banned, but I'll always respect someone who can own up to their mistakes. It's easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment, especially when you get passionate about things, but that's why it's important to try and exercise restraint in those moments so you don't end up saying something you regret.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are fucking doomed. I just hope that when shit hits the fan, I will be at some place safe. Brazil isn't one of them, neither is the USA. I don't see how things could possibly get better without the escalation of a full blown world war, and it sucks because I made my living believing in the law. Believing in the system. Believing that people like me could hack the system and make this a better place.

Era seems like a safe place, but fucking isn't . If my head wasn't in a cool place, this place would be fucking toxic as fuck for me. And we question ourselves because shit like Etika happens. We are killing each other. We are punching down each other.

If I get a ban out of this, that's fucking ok. I just ended a relationship but I'm eager to meet this girl that I've been quite infatuated with but fate magically brought us together after we both just broke up. I don't really care about box office records and shit like that. I care about things that make me hopeful in the world we are fucking living in. I care about escapism, in order to be ready to fight in real life, with real world issues.

YOU. FUCKING. CAN'T.

Would I be sad if I got banned? Yeah. I would. But I don't fucking feel welcome here, and when this place started, it felt like a safe haven from all the shit that is going on in the real world. I don't really blame Era for becoming a fucking monster. The world went to fucking shit. I get that, but I wish we could stand together, you know? My home team just got a big win. My life doesn't suck. I'm proud of the life I lead up until here, regardless how hopeless everything else, including fucking Era makes me feel. But this is the nightmare we are all living in, isn't? "Go out there and vote". I will. And I will fight. I have all the reasons for it.

I don't feel like I belong in this place. I'm fucking sick of the cliques and get hammered down every fucking day. This was supposed to be fucking safe haven for people like us. I've met crazy nice people. But the bad far much outweighs the good, and this goes all the way to the fucking top chain. Yep, I'm drunk, happy, crying and kinda proud of myself for having the guts to spell this shit out. We were supposed to be way fucking better than we are right now. We were supposed to not allow fucking bullies to thrive and shit over people like we do here.

And yet, we fucking are not. This has become a place of fucking cliques and shit like just the "old place" and other shitholes in the internet. And when all the people at the top are complacent, what makes this places better than the other places again?

And I'm fucking sick of it. Our world is fucking sick. Thank fucking the force I have a kick ass support system, thank the fuck I have good people, real life people around me. Because if I was suicidal, this place isn't fucking healthy. This place isn't healthy not even for people that are fucking healthy. We need to get fucking better on how we treat each other. The world has gone to fucking shit. Yes, FUCKING YES, ban permanently the bigots, the white supremacists, the homophobes, the transphobes, the racists, the sexists, the fucking rapists. But we need to learn to have more fucking empathy among ourselves, and remember that this was supposed to be fucking safe haven. Not for the fucking cliques. But for every fucking one of us.
giphy.gif

OP
OP
TyraZaurus

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Don't know what got you banned, but I'll always respect someone who can own up to their mistakes. It's easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment, especially when you get passionate about things, but that's why it's important to try and exercise restraint in those moments so you don't end up saying something you regret.

Thanks. It's nice to get some serious responses here at least.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All i can say is i deserved every ban i got. And it led me to try being less of an asshole.

I'm with you OP.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

YOU. FUCKING. CAN'T.

giphy.gif

Did you post in the wrong thread?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. It's nice to get some serious responses here at least.
I've never been banned, but I've gotten a few warnings and honestly I probably deserved them, because I went a bit too far on issues I was passionate about. It's easy to feel attacked when people criticize the stuff we like or our feelings on things we care about. I think it's important to realize those aren't necessarily personal attacks. On the other hand, I think some people here also need to realize that just because something holds no importance to them or seems silly to them, it can hold tremendous value to someone else and you shouldn't disrespect that lightly. What might be just a game to one person might've been something that helped another person get through depression or tough times. It might've literally saved their lives in a way. To make light of stuff like that just because you don't personally care is pretty callous. I'm not perfect in this regard either, I don't think anyone is, but I definitely think we can all strive to be better

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

YOU. FUCKING. CAN'T.

Zatt died for this

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

YOU. FUCKING. CAN'T.

You just shot yourself in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Resetera culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on NeoGAF where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on era, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the Era public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to forgive you, nor will they disband their cliques. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but era has alienated an nerddom with this move of not making this a safe space.
Era, publicly apologize and cancel Your cliques or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I tried