• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
screen-0.jpg

I typically don't play mobile games, but my consoles are away from me for a while so I downloaded this.

The dialogue is atrocious most of the time, but I still like the characters and some of the banter, and the story is mildly interesting and the gameplay/cutscene pacing is good IMO.

Game is super generous and I don't see myself spending even a dime on it.

It has cool bite-sized dungeons, a shitload of content, lots of enemy and location variety, and the battle system is honestly fun; it's fast-paced and it's not braindead either.

The music is PHENOMENAL.

Seriously, every single track is, at the very least, really good. It's easily one of my favorite soundtracks in the entire series.

And lastly, I cannot believe that a mobile game has such gorgeous CGI, like is this common at all? Look at this shit

tumblr_nuscy2aFI21qe8hc0o2_400.gif

Even for summons and special attacks...

giphy.gif

Any other BE fans out there?

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I got tired when i had an overpowered Ariana Grande and still lots of the events and boss battles kicked my ass, and all normal battles were the same unit sspamming. I wish i coulkd liekd it more because it has some soul for being agame based on gambling, wich, if it didint have so many events, it would be difficult to power up your units.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the game is pretty good and I was surprised multiple time by its story, though Gumi who run the Global version can make some questionnable decisions.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Can I chime in about Mobius FF, or nah? Because I feel like a lot of the compliments here could follow suit. The writing is consistently filled with good moments and character development, even for optional event areas that makes them extra worthwhile. And the music, just the same, is fantastic. Super varied and full of hits.

Mobile FF in general is way better than it has any right to be.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've always really liked FFBE; the trials are *genuinely* difficult and require some real strategy and setup.

A lot of people are complaining about Gumi's business practices, and some of them are a bit rough, but the game is genuinely pretty generous and not at all out-of-reach for F2P players.

They desperately need to catch up on translating Japanese content, however. There hasn't been a new (non-10-man) trial since OCTOBER. That's insane.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Can I chime in about Mobius FF, or nah? Because I feel like a lot of the compliments here could follow suit. The writing is consistently filled with good moments and character development, even for optional event areas that makes them extra worthwhile. And the music, just the same, is fantastic. Super varied and full of hits.

Mobile FF in general is way better than it has any right to be.

I love Mobius and that character looks interesting. Still doing the Prologue of the 2nd part.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really like the characters, story and world in Brave Exvius.

The way they run the gacha is awful and exploitive and only getting worse, but the presentation of the game itself is great.

I'm taking a break from it for now but I will definitely be continuing the story when i feel like it. Dragalia Lost has taken over as my gacha game now for various reasons

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
There are times i wish it had a proper console Port without the gacha but i play it from time to time whenever I'm away from home. I still have a cloned 7* Mercenary Ramza that they never fixed though.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I dunno, it has a right to be pretty damn good. I mean, 2007 was a long time ago and mobile games have come a long, long way since the last time most of Era played one.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'm not happy with the fact that they're introducing new and improved versions of the same characters. They're not even done with FFVIII, and there's already alternate versions of characters from V, VI, and now the hero from I.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
FFBE has it's up and downs.

As a F2P, you can get a good team that will be enough to conquest most of the game's events.
However, the 7* units really do push people to spend and the values are not low. How Gumi manages the global version is also way, way less F2P friendly than the JP one. The game can be quite grindy in some points too.

Overall, it's still a good game and I do play a little bit daily.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
As long as you're not chasing units, you'll be fine as a f2p. I've been there since the beginning and still haven't spent a dime. Having friends with good units helps too.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's the one gacha game I play consistently.

It doesn't hurt that the story is legitimately more cohesive and interesting than FFXV.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Brave Exvius, Granblue Fantasy and Dragalia Lost are where it's at nowadays if you're a fan of cool JRPG battle systems. The level of party building and strategy that those games require goes so much beyond what you'd initially expect.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Yeah this was a fun game while I played. I'm kinda back into Dragalia Lost now that it's out in Canada (finally), and I have trouble running more than one gacha at a time. Might be fun to go back sometime and catch up with all the content I've missed over the past year or so though.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I play FFBE FFRK and FF Mobius. They're all definitely above par for mobile games. FFRK is bae and FFBE ive only stuck with since i had good luck at the beginning and it's composerf is a Wild Arms composer so i see my support for the game as supporting him in some small way XD. FF Mobius has a very interesting story and it's music has this XIII Funk to it that i find really god damn addicting. Would love FFBE characters and Mobius characters and tyro to get some acknowledgement somehow in a mainline game even if it's tyro's grimoire or subtle nods on that level.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yeah been playing it everyday for a year now, FF nostalgia+gacha is an easy hook for me. I really like the combat system, buffing/debuffing, tanks, healers, chaining, how you need resistances for some fights, how bosses have mechanics etc. Would really like to see a full budget console JRPG go this route.

Would like to spend money but the bundles are terrible and since whales buy them, Gumi don't bother making any decent ones bar from the fountain. Fortunately, I managed to pull most 'meta' units, but even still, I feel like you can kinda do the trials with 'poorer' 5* bases.

And yeah, they really need to start adding more trials.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Still torn between choosing this or Mobius. I'm extremely interested in both, but can only really fit one of them

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Played it a back some time ago, yeah it was surprisingly decent!

I always loved the menu music.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
I still love this game but I'm currently at the beginning of Chapter 7 in Season 1... the writing nosedived like partway into Chapter 5 IMO. Does it get better again?

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
yes the music in FFBE is surprisingly, legitimately amazing — some of the best FF music ever made, IMO.

i don't play as much as i used to - i kinda got tired of the grindy events.
but i appreciate how much you can play "for free" - all the story and the exploration maps are fun.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Mobile FF games got really good after Airborne Brigade and All the Bravest.
Seriously, between Dimensions I/II, Brave Exvius, Record Keeper, and Mobius, there's a wealth of FF shenanigans for just about anyone.

Nov 4, 2017
FFBE is the best mobile game out there. The last few months have been a little rocky but they've been slowly getting it back on track.

There are tons of options for a f2p player to get a good team set up. If someone says that you need to spend money to beat a trial, they are just bad at the game. The trials are hard and actually require proper setup and knowledge of the fights.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Am I the only one that plays (most) mobile games with the sound completely off and skipping most of the animations (after the first time)?

Sly_Ardyn

Dec 30, 2018
Sorry, I laughed about the "having an overpowered Ariana Grande", AHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAAHAHH.

I gave this game a try way back when it was originally released.

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh this is the Ariana grade game?

Ehhhh....

Though bonus points being able to play in portrait mode. I hate playing in landscape on a phone.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd check this out in a heartbeat on switch... or I really need to go for higher storage capacity on my next phone. Having kids will destroy your storage space with photos.