• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't figure out exactly why. 8/10 when i leave off topic side, i just don't feel any better. Learn about some shit that gets me down, and I'm starting to visit the site less and less. Weird Era is legit my only reason to visiting this side at all. Talk about how big your dicks are you weirdos. But yeah i don't know, anyone else? I don't know what else to say really.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I wanna read more about weirdos who don't know how to function in society once in a while.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It is, but that's just how shit is these days. Have some time off to regulate your mental health. Thinking about taking a years break after E3

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Your nihilism only makes it harder to be hopeful about the future.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The world is dying. At some point you cant shield your eyes and pretend it isnt happening. There's only so much hollow media we can consume daily.

This is a video game forum, but even in the video game fandom, its pretty hard to pretend things arent fucked here as well with so many ignorant people about preying on hatred and ignorance.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
vz8h26y.jpg

This is indeed a disturbing universe

I usually jump in and out of Etc and Gaming, depending on how depressing this side is. Gaming side gets pretty frustrating too though.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
This is a bad website, but almost the whole internet is terrible these days. There are worse places you could waste your time.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of off-topic is just depressing news framed specifically to confirm your existing views. In general it's good to know the problems we face, but beyond a certain point it only feeds into negativity. Better to spend the time getting involved with local causes that matter to you and actually doing something rather than just sitting in front of a computer feeling hopeless.

Every single day more horrible things happen to more people than we probably will ever know in our lifetimes. You have to be careful how you consume and deal with this news and how much of it you expose yourself to otherwise it's really, really bad for your health. You will feel much better picking even one single cause you care about and trying to help it in some small way.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Aw come on dude, it isn't that bad, there are a lot of fun topics! Plus, if you feel like those are underrepresented, you can always start one! Be the change you want to see in the world!

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like every other thread is something related to politics and social wars.
yup. all the negative shit is what makes the news and gets threads. i just started ignoring threads on topics that i dont want to see (ie. politics) along with the posters that post them. im inclined to believe that by ignoring the thread creator too, i also wont see future threads or posts made about shit that i dont want to see. this place has become much better for me since doing that. try it out.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Off-topic is bad
Gaming side is worse

The current landscape is pretty shithouse in general, so it's a matter of seeing if you can ride it out or not. I know I've been dialing down my forum time quite a bit, for a litany of reasons

konka

Oct 25, 2017
The world has always been shitty, you just have all the shitty news blasting you from all directions in the information age. I try to step back from the internet. Yes it's terrible that something awful happens somewhere else on the globe, but if you find yourself being sad about each bad thing that happens that you can read on the internet you'll never be happy.

Jun 4, 2019
Off-topic is a sad, sad place full of sad, sad people. While I can set it to ignore, I can't stop its most recent threads from popping up in my feed (like this one). I still find myself baited into arguments thanks to that. Avoid it if you can.

And no, the world is not like this.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yup. all the negative shit is what makes the news and gets threads. i just started ignoring threads on topics that i dont want to see (ie. politics) along with the posters that post them. im inclined to believe that by ignoring the thread creator too, i also wont see future threads or posts made about shit that i dont want to see. this place has become much better for me since doing that. try it out.

Fascinating. I may take your advice. Although...I fear I might thanos half of resetera if I do this lol

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
You can't let every single bad news story or Trump thread get to you. As an individual you can only do so much and actually have very little power to make any changes in the world. It's good to have some knowledge on what's going on but usually better for your own mental health to forget and enjoy your life. It's not worth it to be miserable and angry all the time and there are a lot of misarbsle and angry people here.
Most of off-topic is just depressing news framed specifically to confirm your existing views. In general it's good to know the problems we face, but beyond a certain point it only feeds into negativity. Better to spend the time getting involved with local causes that matter to you and actually doing something rather than just sitting in front of a computer feeling hopeless.

Every single day more horrible things happen to more people than we probably will ever know in our lifetimes. You have to be careful how you consume and deal with this news and how much of it you expose yourself to otherwise it's really, really bad for your health. You will feel much better picking even one single cause you care about and trying to help it in some small way.

This is great advice.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I've been thinking about this too, not just about Era, but about the world in general. I think it's just a part of getting older, even if the world IS going through a lot these days.

I talk to older folks who were in their 20's/30's decades ago and they talk about being terrified of nuclear war during the cold war and all sorts of other things that really, really distressed them on a life/world scale. I realize that when I was happily playing Super Mario on my NES or watching Naruto on my old Dell PC or going to prom with my first GF there was real depressing world shit going on I was just not at all involved with at any substantial level. I think it's the same for everyone even if the details of each era are different

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be better if we could have fun shitposting topics without people dumping all over them. Every nice fun thread has negative people pooping on the idea.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I find myself browsing the gaming forum more than off topic these days, which is a complete 180 for me. I also tend to stick to sports threads as well. Off topic has become nothing but Trump threads and social issues. And it's not even good discussion, it's just users feeding off one another, getting themselves worked up into an outrage.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I find myself browsing the gaming forum more than off topic these days, which is a complete 180 for me. I also tend to stick to sports threads as well. Off topic has become nothing but Trump threads and social issues. And it's not even good discussion, it's just users feeding off one another, getting themselves worked up into an outrage.

I try to maintain a positive vibe with my threads!

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
The world is a shitty place, whether you close your eyes from that fact or not. This website gives minorities a space to vent their anger and frustrations without the fear of retaliation, and that's a good thing. Not least because it gives white folk like me perspective.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
These metacommentary threads rarely generate productive conversation and so this thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.