• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I know there are a lot of threads on this and I know that it's arguable that this could go in one of them, but this is something that I'm hoping to reach people who aren't following it super closely. If your not, that's fine, but I want you to understand what this is actually about. George Floyd's death started these riots but this is the culmination of hundreds and hundreds of white racist police being able to shoot black people for no reason. No reason at all. And they've been getting away with it. Under some pressure, but they have. Even now, only one officer was arrested for Floyd's death, when atleast 4 took part in it, because while the state realized that the man who stepped on his neck had to be given over as sacrificial lamb, they are still withholding justice as much as they are able to, and even now the seeds of dismissal and doubt are sowed with the medical examiner report claiming Floyd died of heart issues and possible intoxicants. Because apparently if he didn't have those, he'd be just fine being axphyxiated for 9 minutes, apparently.

So here's what I just want you all to know - everything that's happening, all the burned buildings, all the violent outbreaks, all the destroyed property and all the damaged lives....all that is happening because the police wants to keep killing black people for no reason. They want to protect themselves from the consequences of the murders they know they will do in the future, even if they don't know who they will murder yet.

I don't know when and if someone will ever ask you about their opinion or what opinion of theirs you'll have to deal with and things are confusing and there's so many stories coming out and you don't know which will be proven false within an hour or what is going on. It's all just....fucking chaos.

But that chaos is built on the bedrock that Police want to keep killing black people for no reason, and people are finally telling them "No, you can't." That's what this is about.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Insensitive commentary and thread derailment
I just wish the protests went straight after the police departments and the white house as opposed to destroying property and the lives of innocent businesses and bystanders.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
That tweet about the white guy with a bow encapsulates the conservative mindset: shouting ALL LIVES MATTER while about to shoot a black man

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish the protests went straight after the police departments and the white house as opposed to destroying property and the lives of innocent businesses and bystanders.
oh no

not the property

surely that's worth making a big deal about when we're talking about violent, systematic oppression

the "lives of innocent businesses" indeed

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys I have an idea.
How about instead of gathering and showing our disapproval of the state of things let's choose a quite time to silently demonstrate. Maybe by taking a knee or something. While people may be watching even.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Have any of you been personally effected by these riots? I have and it fucking sucks. I'm not responsible for any of it and I don't deserve to have my property damaged but here I am living through the mayhem.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Why laugh at my comment? There's a change that needs to happen.
I'm not going to call you ignorant because I didn't know much history with regards to riots of the past either, but they are mischaracterized as irrational, angry outbursts that lash out against people and buildings that have nothing to do with the actual problem.

I've learned this is not true, atleast it's not the whole story. The looting is often and organized and controlled redistribution of resources. For example, the target that was looted in Minneapolis was targeted because big businesses are what the police are there to protect as opposed to the people, but also because that target was a pioneer of loss-prevention policies and video surveilance that hurt the community.

It was then transformed into a set up for protesters to get help and items.

So just know that there is a method to the madness here and it's not just innocent people being robbed.

Edit: okay, I've been informed that Sophia Narwitz is a gamer-gater and doxxed people, so I don't want to signal boost her, but the tweet in question was that people who looted target used those supplies to organize and set up help for others. Hardly the image of deranged, hedonistic, destructive behavior.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Congrats on turning a thread about police violence against black people into a thread about you.
This isn't about me at all. This is about protesting to make the change we need to make in this country. I have done my part,I live in the thick of this.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Have any of you been personally effected by these riots? I have and it fucking sucks. I'm not responsible for any of it and I don't deserve to have my property damaged but here I am living through the mayhem.
Sorry for your loss, but not only are you not alone, you can keep with truly noble company, like this outstanding resturant owner.

www.buzzfeednews.com

Their Restaurant Burned Down In The Minneapolis Protests. They Just Want Justice For George Floyd.

“We can rebuild a building. But we cannot give this man back to his family.”

The restaurant in South Minneapolis that had been her family's life's work, Gandhi Mahal, had burned down in protests early Friday morning, days after George Floyd, a black man, died after a white police officer used a knee chokehold on him.

Then Hafsa heard her father, Ruhel Islam, on the phone. "Let the buildings burn," he was saying. "Justice needs to be served. Put those officers in jail."

Hearing her father's words on the phone calmed Hafsa, who said she has always supported the Black Lives Matter movement.

"It helped me realize what we were there for," she said. "It has gotten to a point where this is the only way that we can get justice, and we can change the system."

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i feel like there might be another group of people who are personally affected by damage and mayhem they have no responsibility for, as described in the OP

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm not going to call you ignorant because I didn't know much history with regards to riots of the past either, but they are mischaracterized as irrational, angry outbursts that lash out against people and buildings that have nothing to do with the actual problem.

I've learned this is not true, atleast it's not the whole story. The looting is often and organized and controlled redistribution of resources. For example, the target that was looted in Minneapolis was targeted because big businesses are what the police are there to protect as opposed to the people, but also because that target was a pioneer of loss-prevention policies and video surveilance that hurt the community.

It was then transformed into a set up for protesters to get help and items.

So just know that there is a method to the madness here and it's not just innocent people being robbed.

My car in Fairfax (los angeles) today got it's windows blown out and tires slashed. Maybe even set on fire at this point, who the fuck knows because the cops pushed us out of that area. There was no reason for that to happen , I couldn't move it because the street blockages. So after we protested my friends were able to get us out of there by bike. Now there's a curfew and I'm afraid to even attempt to do anything besides sit online and see what happens through the night.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine generations of your family having their property constantly destroyed with impunity by a system designed to institutionally oppress you. And nothing you did changed anything. You'd feel pretty angry and might even want to lash out, right?

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine being affected by a situation completely out of your control and through no personal fault. Damn.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And it's not just black people. Indians, Pakistanis, middle eastern people, native Americans, Asians are all fair game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
You can rebuild whatever is damaged. Black lives that are lost to racist cops will NEVER come back.
That's why I want to be part of this revolution. It sickens me to live in a city where I've seen the atrocious happen with my own eyes. Yes, my life was not lost today and it's merely property, but honestly I don't have a lot of funds due to Covid bullshit and the future is shit. I want to help, but I feel helpless. And now I feel even more useless.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its built on both the fact that there was ZERO justice for police that murdered POC and also because of the futility and horrible reaction people had to the non-violent protests.

This is pretty predictable. Colin Kaepernick literally asked for something to be done in the least offensive way possible. And in response he was blackballed and became a figure that was hated by a huge percentage of this country.

Just like with the riots in LA this was a long time coming. I can still remember talking with people who thought that Zimmerman should not have been punished. That was a huge wake up for me and then the Kaep reaction was the final nail in the coffin.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if people thought that way during any time in history:

"I just wish the American colonists would not damage buildings"

"I just wish the French revolutionaries would not damage buildings"

Rioting and protesting isn't always safe and peaceful. When you want to get your message across, sometimes unethical means are used.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Now imagine generations of your family having their property constantly destroyed with impunity by a system designed to institutionally oppress you. And nothing you did changed anything. You'd feel pretty angry and might even want to lash out, right?
Absolutely, but I want to lash out towards the people responsible for it, hence my first comment in the thread. What else can I really do about it though?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
That sucks but
Imagine if people thought that way during any time in history:

"I just wish the American colonists would not damage buildings"

"I just wish the French revolutionaries would not damage buildings"

Rioting and protesting isn't always safe and peaceful. When you want to get your message across, sometimes unethical means are used.
Why'd those thugs have to ruin all that tea? That's no way to protest! Just ask the King nicely again.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely, but I want to lash out towards the people responsible for it, hence my first comment in the thread. What else can I really do about it though?
The basis of any protest is to be a nuisance/inconvenience to people who would more likely look away and try to ignore what's going on around them . From a non American point of view , what's happening now was inevitable and all your anger should be focused on your government which has done nothing to prevent this from happening. Having said that I do sympathise with you and hope you're government takes the right steps to rectify the situation for all sides .

One thing for sure, the next couple of weeks are gonna suck for white middle-class America......can't really look away anymore . Sadly they will probably support stoping the protests just to go back to the status quo of fuck you got mine.

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
What would "Going straight after the police departments and the white house" mean exactly? Attacking police force directly (as opposed to attacking random property) could result in a bloodbath i assume.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The basis of any protest is to be a nuisance/inconvenience to people who would more likely look away and try to ignore what's going on around them . From a non American point of view , what's happening now was inevitable and all your anger should be focused on your government which has done nothing to prevent this from happening. Having said that I do sympathise with you and hope you're government takes the right steps to rectify the situation for all sides .

One thing for sure, the next couple of weeks are gonna suck for white middle-class America......can't really look away anymore . Sadly they will probably support stoping the protests just to go back to the status quo of fuck you got mine.
Sadly I think you're right that things will just go back to the status quo. It feels so, so hopeless to me. I honestly feel like Americans like myself need to physically throw the people in power out of office. But America has never gone to that extreme that other countries have. What else can we do if not just that?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
What would "Going straight after the police departments and the white house" mean exactly? Attacking police force directly (as opposed to attacking random property) could result in a bloodbath i assume.
What I mean is protesting in front of their departments and buildings preventing them from hurting anyone else. Don't let them enact their despicable practices on our communities.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
What I mean is protesting in front of their departments and buildings preventing them from hurting anyone else. Don't let them enact their despicable practices on our communities.

..the police do not harm the communities they are meant to protect because the communities "let" them. The police do not ask permission before using violence on the protesters.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017

Basically this. Want to avoid protests? maybe stop fucking killing black people.