• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
As a guy who had long hair most of my adult life, I'm somewhere between a 1A and a 2A. My grandmother had curly hair as a child that became pin straight as an adult and grew back curly (3A) after chemotherapy. As I get older my hair is getting more wavy, probably due to whatever genetics caused that. I have all the bonus features of "constantly looks like an oil slick", "won't stay in any style unless you pour concrete on it", "tangles as soon as you lay down", and "amazing bedhead". I also never heat style my hair but it is ridiculously fragile, which has led me to keeping it shorter lately (thyroid went off the deep end about 10 years ago and it messed my hair up big time). No baldness yet as I near the 50 mark, fingers crossed.

One thing I will say about curly hair is that you should never be taking a brush to it. Detangle with fingers, picks, and wide, medium, and fine tooth combs in order of biggest gaps to smallest. Depending on your hair type you may never need a fine toothed comb. If it gets stuck and generates static, toss it. A brush is just gonna get stuck and make you look like you put a metal fork in a toaster. Using a small amount of oil and rubbing it on the ends before combing has really helped me deal with frizz and damage. The less you handle your hair, the less damage it takes. I pretty much wash, oil, comb, and ignore unless I'm going somewhere fancy.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
When I had more hair, it was super straight. Straight hair sucks. It never looks cool. I always envied people who's hair had enough wave and curl to be dynamic and occasionally wild.

Oct 27, 2017
lol
praise your genes and embrace your superior hair
straight hair is plain und super boring, nobody wants that.

curly hair is where it's at.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
Amen OP. I have Afro textured hair and just got my hair straightened recently and it's been a LIFE CHANGER. I can literally wake up, brush my hair and be out of the door. It looks nice and shiny all the time and I don't even have to worry about frizz in this florida humidity. Only downside is I don't like how flat straight hair is. But that can be fixed if you know how to manipulate it.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have long wavy/lightly curled hair and I hate it. It's an absolute nightmare to maintain. Every fucking thing makes it into a disaster. Static makes it friz up. Humidity makes it friz up. Heat damages it. Cold dries it out. Everything dries it out. Sleeping tangles it up, even with a satin pillowcase. The bangs are impossible to figure out. The ends are always tangling and splitting.

It takes hours of work to get it looking nice, four or five different products just to get it looking half-decent, and then within twelve hours it becomes a frizzy tangled stringy dried-out bird's nest again. I'm sick of it. I'm this close to straightening it and being done with it, but people always say I'm so lucky to have natural curls and waves and I feel like I'd be throwing that away.

Anyway, if anybody has similar issues let me know how you've handled it or what products and methods you tried. And yes, I know about the Curly Girl Method, that's the only thing that keeps my hair looking "okay" for up to 24 hours instead of like a complete disaster.
nah I'm same. I got an undercut to make it less bushy, but the curliness combined with how thick my hair is still makes it impossible to keep in any sort of reasonable-looking condition. For some reason my gf likes it, and that's the only reason I haven't gone back to like a pixie cut. Well, that, and long hair makes passing a bit easier.

I usually end up putting it in a ponytail as soon as it dries (which takes literal hours, another nightmare side of this), so at that point why even have long hair?

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
When I was a kid i really wanted that silky straight hair, where i grew up curls were uncool and "for grannies" at that time. It's kinda funny because my mums generation would be like "if you eat your crusts your hair will grow curly" (some weird myth) and it was supposed to make kids eat their bread crusts but it ironically gave baby gaki a dilemma: i loved bread crusts but i didnt want my hair to be curlier???

Anyway nowadays tho im well turned around on that, I think curls, frizz and afro styles look great. I've got wavy hair but its deceptively thin I think, (probably 2A on the chart?) wouldn't mind a bit more volume. But it's low maintenance and cool.
I don't really like to shit on any hair type tho, isn't variety nice?

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Mine is closest to 3A I think and I'm a guy.

I used to straighten it with a straightening iron until I realized that it looks so much better and interesting in its natural curly/wavy state, especially when I let my hairdresser add some color to it to enhance the effect. My hairdresser told me that pretty much everybody is like that, people with straight hair want curly/wavy hair and people with curly/wavy hair want it straight.

I don't have it as long anymore as it used to be, so it became a bit more manageable. I now got an undercut and my hairdresser also cuts away some of the volume to make it less bushy. I usually wash and condition it about 3 times a week after I went to the gym in the evening and pretty much always just pat it a bit with a towel and then let it dry on its own. If I do have to use a blow dryer because I'm a bit in a hurry I use a diffusor on the lowest heat setting. And before I go out I use a tiny bit of gel to give it a bit of form.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
2B, 2C or 3A maybe, I really can't tell. Can't have anything other than very short as it either curls or splays out like some ratty looking birds nest that stays both greasy and dry at the same time. It's ridiculously thick and clumpy in places yet extremely thin in others (and has been since I was little). Hate it beyond all belief, the one type of haircut I can have is the one I hate most.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
My hair is a jerk. The only way it isn't too wavy is if I brush it back. I want straight hair too. The longer my hair gets, the worse it is. It just looks dumb at times and I have no options.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the 1B section. I like my straight hair and it has been extremely easy to style over the years.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I envy people with thick hair that does something by itself... The only thing my hair does is being flat and making me look like a doofus. It's super tough to actually make it look good and make it stay like that. Wearing any kind of headgear messes it up horribly.

So.. Yeah.. :( greener side etc

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
What's your hair type, OP? I'm 2B and waking up in the morning without my hair being everywhere is physically impossible. My sister is a type 1 and I'm jealous as fuck. She can wake up and do anything with her hair within 10 minutes where mine can be an hour process.

QgfuEXv.jpg

I'm a 3b on a good day, 3A most of the time. I really like Devacurl and even got a haircut by a certified DV person.

I was already on DV but she recommended a thing they have called Heaven in hair which was a godsend. It REALLY helped with dryness. Anyway a good haircut is 75 percent of the battle so do that first.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
1A here, it is fine, easy to put in a bun every day.

It is funny to see people with all kinds of hair say they hate it. The grass is always greener I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
I had my hair perm straightened. Japanese thermal reconditioning!!! Check it out, it is expensive but 100% worth it imo. No frizz or maintenance, just change shampoo/conditioner and add olaplex.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Used to hate mine growing up, didn't fit with 90s trends and had no idea what to do with it.

Now thanks to online tips (cgm) I've embraced the curls. Only annoying thing is it's super curly on top and a more wavy on the back/sides so doesn't mesh together well. I was a Tyrion Lannister lookalike for a while but had to give the long hair dream up and now just left the top bit long.

Will never get people asking if it's natural though. Of course it is!

Oct 27, 2017
I used to hate my hair too. I basically got Kaepernick's hair and when kept long it takes so much work. It's not tight enough to do cool black hairstyles but it's still afro-textured. I used to keep it buzzed but now I simply walk around with a full afro and I've grown to love it. Reception has been mixed lol.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
4C Hair represent 📢

I believe curly (3/4) type hair is the most desired and even with how difficult it can be, it can produce great results

This is my exact style right now and I never felt more confident about myself before I did it. Probably takes me 15-20 minutes to do this in the morning.

(not me in the photo)

elio

alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
if u aint 4c, u caint talk to me
Real talk, I think 4b is harder to manage than 4c.

4C Hair represent 📢

I believe curly (3/4) type hair is the most desired and even with how difficult it can be, it can produce great results

This is my exact style right now and I never felt more confident about myself before I did it. Probably takes me 15-20 minutes to do this in the morning.

(not me in the photo)
What gel you using?

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
Its a pain in the ass to maintain but I wouldn't trade my hair for anything. Curly hair FTW.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm a 2C based on that chart, but I can't really tell. I seem to be a waviness that's between 2 and 3. Like...2.5C. I have a few random curls that look more like the 3 example, but I wouldn't call my hair "curly" like 3 looks. This would be okay if my hair weren't always a frizzy mess. I hate it. I brush my hair and 30 seconds later I look like I just got out of bed.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As of come to understand myself as non-binary, I've come to heal my relationship to many aspects of my body, including my curly hair. I used to resent my hair and feel constantly not-me because of it, but as I've come to feel more at home in my body my curls are now a source of pride and love.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
So slightly tangental, my daughter's (age 7) a 2B and I have no idea how to help her take care of it. She wants to keep it long but combing/brushing out tangles apparently hurt like hell. Shampoo/conditioner are fine but getting ready for school in the morning is a hell of a chore. Or is this just a deal with it situation we need to manage?

Any one got advice (besides cutting it)?

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So slightly tangental, my daughter's (age 7) a 2B and I have no idea how to help her take care of it. She wants to keep it long but combing/brushing out tangles apparently hurt like hell. Shampoo/conditioner are fine but getting ready for school in the morning is a hell of a chore. Or is this just a deal with it situation we need to manage?

Any one got advice (besides cutting it)?

Generally with curly hair you want to:

1. Not use shampoo or any haircare products that have sulfates in them
2. When the hair is soaking wet, and only when soaking wet, use a comb to gently untangle and straighten the hair
3. Use sulfate-free conditioner and a gel to clump the curls in place, let them dry, and then "scrunch" the gel cast out so the hair is flowing freely
4. Do not comb or try to untangle the hair while dry. Repeat steps 2-3 when necessary; some people do this every day, some every couple days, it depends on the hair

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm a 2C based on that chart, but I can't really tell. I seem to be a waviness that's between 2 and 3. Like...2.5C. I have a few random curls that look more like the 3 example, but I wouldn't call my hair "curly" like 3 looks. This would be okay if my hair weren't always a frizzy mess. I hate it. I brush my hair and 30 seconds later I look like I just got out of bed.
That's your problem right there. Stop brushing your hair and switch to combing when wet. Brushes destroy curly hair.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Hair straightening takes a lot of time and absolutely kills your hair. I'd hate to have to do it every morning. Also for a lot of curly haired folks (myself included), it starts curling after a few hours anyway.
There's a... regiment that goes with it, but her hair hasn't noticeably died off in the fifteen years she's been doing it (she didn't have very thick hair to begin with though). I was also asking because judging by the way OP describes it (and the avatar of Elsa I guess) it's probably a very similar kind of blond 'one drop of rain turns into a poodle' hair, and 5 minutes of straightening probably takes about as long as other ways to try to force it into a coupe.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Generally with curly hair you want to:

1. Not use shampoo or any haircare products that have sulfates in them
2. When the hair is soaking wet, and only when soaking wet, use a comb to gently untangle and straighten the hair
3. Use sulfate-free conditioner and a gel to clump the curls in place, let them dry, and then "scrunch" the gel cast out so the hair is flowing freely
4. Do not comb or try to untangle the hair while dry. Repeat steps 2-3 when necessary; some people do this every day, some every couple days, it depends on the hair
Number 4 would explain some things. In the morning we usually go dry since we're in a rush to get her fed/dressed/off to school. I'll double check the shampoo/conditioner to see if it's sulfate-free.

Really appreciate this!

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Number 4 would explain some things. In the morning we usually go dry since we're in a rush to get her fed/dressed/off to school. I'll double check the shampoo/conditioner to see if it's sulfate-free.

Really appreciate this!

You can also do this at night, before bed, and have her sleep on a satin pillowcase, which will reduce friction and allow the hair to dry overnight and require only minimal styling and maybe some wetting with a spray bottle the next morning.

Also, use a wide-toothed comb, specifically, for combing and straightening the wet hair. Don't use a brush.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Straight hair people always trying to get curly hair.
Curly hair people always complaining bout their curly hair. lol.

The only problem I've had with my kinda curly hair is it gets tangled pretty well. Nothing a comb a day doesn't handle.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
As someone with very straight hair, I find it kind of boring. If I didn't do anything to it, it would look really bland. Sometimes I wish I had kinda wavy hair or something because it would start off more interesting.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
What's your hair type, OP? I'm 2B and waking up in the morning without my hair being everywhere is physically impossible. My sister is a type 1 and I'm jealous as fuck. She can wake up and do anything with her hair within 10 minutes where mine can be an hour process.

QgfuEXv.jpg
I guess I'm a 2A. I wear it in a ponytail pretty much all the time now. I can't remember when was the last time I let it loose.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm on my second year of thermal straightening for my hair. My hair isn't even curly naturally. Boring it might be but it saves me so much time, it's completely worth it IMO. I don't have to blow dry, I don't have to style, some days I don't even brush my hair. I towel dry, I part it, I go. Once the roots grow out a bit, it loses the super flatness and looks better. If I walk a certain way, it does that "swish swish" back and forth motion that I find really amusing (not sure how else to describe it haha).

BUT I also think curly/wavy hair looks better. I just can't give up this convenience.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I'm somewhere between a 3A and 3B. I have tons of frizz too

If I try to brush it dry, I look like a poodle.

Use a broad hair comb made out of wood.

How do you dry your hair after showering? Try to wrap your whole hair in a towel. Comb it into your desired style after showering and wrap it up. Try to do it for 3-5 hours (overnight for best results) and your hair will be frizz free for a few days. Getting it wet will destroy the effect though so try to stay out of rain and avoid sweaty workouts. I know it sounds weird but this totally eliminates frizz, your hair will look much better.

I heard a satin cloth works better than a towel but I never tried it.