• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
What's your hair type, OP? I'm 2B and waking up in the morning without my hair being everywhere is physically impossible. My sister is a type 1 and I'm jealous as fuck. She can wake up and do anything with her hair within 10 minutes where mine can be an hour process.

QgfuEXv.jpg
i'm a guy and my hair isn't that long but I think it would be like 2C if i grew it out. Probably a bit curlier/wavier but I don't think it would be as curly/wavy as Type 3.

It's not too hard to manage when its short-ish but if I grow it out (not nearly as long as the woman in the picture though) it definitely becomes harder to manage yeah, especially if I've just showered and don't let it dry properly.

i think it looks nice though so I wouldn't trade it for straight hair ever. my hair is probably the feature of myself I like the most so I really hope I don't end up going bald someday lol.

e:actually on further inspection of some old photos of me with longer hair, maybe i would be 3A? I don't think my hair is thin though.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
What's your hair type, OP? I'm 2B and waking up in the morning without my hair being everywhere is physically impossible. My sister is a type 1 and I'm jealous as fuck. She can wake up and do anything with her hair within 10 minutes where mine can be an hour process.

QgfuEXv.jpg

Is there a similar chart for men?

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Is there a similar chart for men?
Here's a secret. There is ZERO difference between men and women hair. It's not gender specific. So all that "FOR MEN" type hair stuff is just branding. Men generally have shorter hair and when hair is short, it can be hard to tell what type it is so using pictures of women with long hair gives a better visual representation.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like everyone with curly hair says this.

Meanwhile my straight hair has three modes: buzz cut, Justin Bieber, and Nathan Explosion.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a secret. There is ZERO difference between men and women hair. It's not gender specific. So all that "FOR MEN" type hair stuff is just branding. Men generally have shorter hair and when hair is short, it can be hard to tell what type it is so using pictures of women with long hair gives a better visual representation.

Ah - yeah the examples with shorter hair is what I'd be most interested in.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally a 3A when my hair is healthy. Thin, dry, and curly.
Not gonna lie, that's my favorite hair type and I'm jealous! My hair is closest to 2B, although it never looks as good as Natalie Portman's :P And I basically have all the same problems you mentioned: frizz, bangs are impossible, tangles like a witch's knot on a horse... When I was little my mom would straighten it every morning before letting me go to school. Or force me to get those straightening treatments.

My sister has Type 1A and she doesn't have to worry about a thing. The disadvantage is she literally can't style her hair beyond doing a ponytail or bun. Nothing else holds for longer than an hour or less. She's incredibly jealous of curly hair.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I used to be like you when I was way younger op, until realised a lot of people were actually jealous of my wavy hair. Now that I'm old, I love it, and I still get people telling me how jealous they are of my hair.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Not gonna lie, that's my favorite hair type and I'm jealous! My hair is closest to 2B, although it never looks as good as Natalie Portman's :P And I basically have all the same problems you mentioned: frizz, bangs are impossible, tangles like a witch's knot on a horse... When I was little my mom would straighten it every morning before letting me go to school. Or force me to get those straightening treatments.

My sister has Type 1A and she doesn't have to worry about a thing. The disadvantage is she literally can't style her hair beyond doing a ponytail or bun. Nothing else holds for longer than an hour or less. She's incredibly jealous of curly hair.
You know Portman worked on that hair for at least a few good hours for that night or paid someone to do it. I've gotten my hair like that a few times and even though it looks like incredible, it feels like you went through an adventure to get it done.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
You know Portman worked on that hair for at least a few good hours for that night or paid someone to do it. I've gotten my hair like that a few times and even though it looks like incredible, it feels like you went through an adventure to get it done.
Very true! And I'm super lazy about doing any sort of styling on a regular basis. I just wish life was like Style Savvy and I could press a button and my hair would magically look great. ;-;

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I have wavy/curly hair and I love it. Used to hate it, but I've managed to figure out a good haircut that works with my texture to make it look purposefully styled. I get it cut into a long shag, which allows more curling/volume up where I want it, and keeps me from getting the dreaded "triangle-head" look. I only really have to get it cut twice a year, since it's a style that grows out well. Downside is I do have to wash it every day and let it air-dry (though I blow-dry my bangs). Works okay for me since my scalp produces a lot of oil, but I know it doesn't work for everyone.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you op my hair is curly, lots of really tight twists. Tangles, knots, flyaways ugh. All I can recommend is lots of conditioner, both wet and leave-in. Mine dries out otherwise and gets prone to breakage. Never comb or brush when it's soaking wet or dry or you just just end up putting knots in or ripping through tangles.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Probably 1A. I can't tell the difference between 1A and 1B visually but my hair is fairly thin and 100% straight. My SO's hair is even thinner though, but it verrrry slightly curls a bit, so I guess I'm closer to 1B and he's 2A?

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a 3b/3c, and honestly, once you've got a routine down, curly hair isn't all that difficult to manage. Also, while I agree with a lot of what the curly girl method preaches, for the most part it's way too much of a hassle tbh

I think the most important things to be mindful of are:
- getting haircuts regularly (keeping on top of those split and dry ends make your hair look heaps worse than it should)
- using products which aren't full of alcohol/silicons/parabens (the curly girl method has a really good list of products, but you need to use the right kind of products for your hair type, bc it might weigh it down or make your curls crispy or whatever, you say in the OP you're using several products, you really shouldn't have to do this)
- don't shampoo more than twice a week, a good conditioner cleans your hair just fine but without shitty ingredients
- DO NOT USE HEAT (don't straighten your hair, don't use a curling iron, if you're blow drying your hair use A DIFFUSER and COOL AIR)
- don't touch it (you're just going to make it frizzier, once it's styled and done, just leave it be)

it all sounds like a lot but it kind of just becomes second nature!

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I have "skater hair" when it gets long, kind of curly and frizzy on the ends but straight for the most part. I guess it's closest to a type 2 on that image?

Looks most similar to this:

CKyWzUe.jpg

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

QgfuEXv.jpg
According to this I have either 2A or 2B

Really wish I could get it straighter and shinier, I hate having to style it and it usually looks kinda gross :u

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Don't be too envious of us with straight hair. My two haircut choices are getting it cut as short as possible or looking like Richard fucking Spencer.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
A-Anyone with spikey hair? Unless I gel it down it is perpetually sticking out in random directions. Combing helps but any wind negates it.
mine does that if it gets longish. product is needed to tame it. well, it's actually more like

01-stranger-things-hairspray.w700.h700.jpg

however i usually keep it around a 7 length so it never really reaches that. it did a whole back when i was too lazy to do anything with my hair

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
My hair used to be straight until suddenly it wasn't. I don't know what the heck happened. It used to be soo easy to work with... I miss it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Slightly wavy hair is the best, for men and women. One doesn't even have to really style it - it does all the work on its own. Just keep it cleaned and conditioned.

I have extremely straight, shiny hair and it's a pain to style it. It also looks terrible when even slightly long IMO (at least on me, a man).

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I can sympathize. I despise my hair more than you can know.
Because I'm a dude I can keep it super short though and still look OK.
My friends and family prefer it longer and fluffy though. Having fluffy hair was a pretty distinguishing feature of my appearance in their eyes, despite my hatred of it.

If I had straight hair I would grow Fabio hair.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Hair is nice and all but has good looking hair ever saved anyone from having an ugly face? Honest question. Not counting beards.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

QgfuEXv.jpg
In the past year and a half I've let my hair grow out again out of pure laziness, so it's pretty long. I'm 3A which means I always have my hair pulled back cus otherwise it's everywhere.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Being a dude with natural, very curly hair is fun because everyone's constantly asking you if you got a perm

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018

QgfuEXv.jpg
I am 3b and I love it, but my god it's almost a full time job to make it look good, now that I'm trying to grow it šŸ˜„

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is somewhere between a 2A and 2B. Oddly enough as I've grown it out, it's straight until about halfway when it lightly curls after that, which gets annoying when it gets tangled especially when I wake up after sleeping.

Living in FL, humidity is a pain when it makes it fluff up. I can't really do short styles easily since it makes my hair kinda afro itself until the weight when it gets longer "pulls" it down.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I hated my slightly wavy hair when I was young but I have grown to love it. Firstly, I have found girls really do dig it. Secondly, I find it very easy to hide bed head than I think I would be able to with straight hair. Honestly, it is pretty rare for me to have a BAD hair day because you can hide funky stuff in the waves.

Edit: Humid Summer days do fuck me up tho. Good call there.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I also have curly hair. It comes in a lot of different varieties, but I'll share my routine in case it helps:

I wash my hair at most every other day. I typically shower at night because my hair is also fairly thick and takes hours to dry. Shampoo in, then rinse out pretty quickly. Conditioner in and stays in for a solid ten minutes while I shave. Rinse out conditioner, soap up, rinse off, get out.

Once out of the shower, don't put a (standard cotton) towel anywhere near your hair. Instead, I wrap an old cotton tee shirt around my shoulders while I use a wide tooth comb to brush my hair back and I pluck my eyebrows (no more than a few mins), letting my hair air dry a little. Then I bend over and shake my hair out, drying it a little with the tee shirt. I use Garnier Fructis hair smoothing milk throughout, then part my hair with a thin comb. Let it air dry for a few hours and I'm good. Don't have to do anything to it in the morning beside smoothing it out a little.

Absolutely no brushes or blow dryers unless you want to be a frizzy mess.

Really it's about finding the products that work for your hair type though. I went through a lot of difficult years fighting my hair until I found the right routine.
This is what I do when I care more, but I've fallen off the wagon and don't bother with the Fructis anymore lol.
My hair is beween 2C and 3A. It's worse off because I have dyed and damaged the ends quite a bit.

Wish I had more 2B. Slight wave is probably the most naturally manageable that still has that "spontaneous and unpolished body" look. My bhusband has 2B hair, I believe. So when he grows it out a few inches he looks pretty rugged suave!

I still like my hair, but I need to take better care of it. i also used to have straight hair as a kid but my dad's side of the family genes kicked in after puberty so I gained curls and waves--which is a bit uncommon for Vietnamese people!

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
My hair is super fine and straight, (type 1A from that image) it's impossible to do anything with it due, I'd happily trade you my hair any day and twice on Sundays. I dont like my hair in the slightest and would rather any other type of hair.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm 1A and my hair has zero volume naturally. It's also very hard to do anything witt :(

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
My hair is such a curly mess I've just accepted it does whatever it wants. Medusa must have been a distant ancestor.