• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
Like the title says. I was never the biggest fan of Twilight Princess. Thought it was too easy and was not a fan of the overworld and twilight realm.

Link's Crossbow Training on the other hand was fucking fantastic! I actually had more fun playing that game with my girlfriend than with Twilight Princess.

Do you have similar experience where you enjoyed a spin off more than the main entry of your favorite video game franchise?

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
9B2E623752EA0227A9F2BF8AEDDBB6A94EBAFD7B

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Rising is probably the biggest example. It's the purest distillation of all things Metal Gear.

EDIT: Beaten like I went to some cushy Ivy League school.

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
I enjoyed Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time more than some of the mainline Pokémon games. I was not expecting to cry during a Pokémon game. And it came at a time when I was getting a bit bored of the traditional Pokémon formula.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is one of the best games I've ever played and I have no interest in the mainline Might and Magic games.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've put like... a combined 50 hours into the Persona dancing games but I've never even touched one of the RPGs.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a spinoff, but I enjoyed the Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2 way more than the base game.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Give me that Zelda fan card op so I can shred it TP is the GOat dungeon Zelda

:P

...only Metroid game I beat and liked was Other M lmao

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy: Tactics vs VII

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel vs MGS2

Kirby: Canvas Curse vs RTDL

Sonic: Mania vs Forces

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I think putting Link's Crossbow Training ahead of Twilight Princess is a step too far, but I did personally enjoy Phantom Hourglass more than TP. It may of been a stripped down Zelda experience and the Temple of the Ocean King was a slog, but at least the dungeons had some interesting puzzles.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I liked Typing of the Dead more than the House of the Dead games...
I also like the Final Fantasy Tactics games and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles more than the mainline series (except for IX).

OP
OP
Wescoast76

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
Give me that Zelda fan card op so I can shred it TP is the GOat dungeon Zelda

:P

My three favorite Zelda dungeons:

3. Stone Tower Temple, Majora's Mask
2. Forest Temple, Ocarina of Time
1. Hyrule Castle, Breath of the Wild

Sorry, no Twilight Princess dungeons made the list. :P

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly found Chain of Memories (or at least ReCOM) vastly more enjoyable and competently made than KH1.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
puzzle-bobble.jpg

Puzzle Bobble / Bust a Move!

I came in to post this. And we're definitely not the only ones this is true for, considering there's been more Puzzle Bobble games than Bubble Bobble games, I think. This is probably the prime example of the OP's phenomenon. I impulse-bought Puzzle Bobble on the eShop SO HARD when it came out.

Final Fantasy: Tactics vs VII

Yup.

Sonic: Mania vs Forces

This is such a given that it probably didn't need to be stated.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess has a lot of nonsense in between the good parts, so I can certainly see where the OP is coming from in terms of pure enjoyment. Crossbow Training was a lot of fun.

These aren't the same genre, but I enjoyed Mario+Rabbids more than Mario Odyssey if that counts. Odyssey is a good game that all Switch owners should play, don't get me wrong, but M+R is pure gold.

Jan 7, 2018
FE Heroes over Echoes.
Gaiden's maps are awful, and i didn't find the characters or story nearly as good as most people did.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Pokemon games are the mystery dungeon ones, and it's not even a contest really. Does that count for this?