• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'm making another attempt with the game (got around maybe 30% complete last time) and I was absolutely terrible with using what I had, effectively. I would always, always keep the good weapons for some unknown future fight that I thought I'd need them for. So the clunky slow big ass axe or whatever was my preferred weapon if it was the weakest. It would then break, then off to the next weakest weapon, etc. All the while that nice shiny brand new sword with its glistening steel... would just sit there and sparkle.

Seems like a pretty dumb way to play the game but I felt to do otherwise could have some bad repercussion around that next hill over there, or up on that mountain over there. So maybe this time I'll do it the other way and use the best shit I have first, and leave all the weak crap for only when I need it. Sound good? Good.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just use everything you have, a new one will probably appear around the next hill over there probably.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, this is literally the entire point of the weapon breaking system. The game constantly gives you way more weapons than you have inventory space for and all those weapons break quickly. Every part of the game's design is trying to teach you not to hoard weapons.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't really hoard at all, I always felt like weapon durability was directly tied to exploration, it's always gently pushing you to go somewhere new, and there's weapons everywhere to be found.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Don't hoard your weapons. There are always more of them. Let them go. Into the enemy's face preferably.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I basically just never fought anyone, to be honest. I'd run past whatever enemies I could to avoid the hassle of weapon management.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Even playing on hard mode, after the first 2 hours I was getting way more weapons than I could carry, there's no need to hoard. Simply use the weapons that best fits the situation, after most encounters you get more weapons than you broke.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is the game rarely requires you to use your best weapons, so you spend a lot of time micromanaging stuff for a real fight that doesn't exist.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
expand you sword and arrow inventory. once you have a few rows you'll be able to carry more weapons than you'll ever need. you also done need to save the good ones as the game will constantly provide better versions. having a little bit of variety is good but that's all you have to really worry about.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
Just use everything you have. Later in the game they are easy to find, even the more powerful ones. Don't worry.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Throw your weak weapons for critical hits and then use your good weapons for actual fighting. If you do this and pick up every dropped weapon you'll never have to worry

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just use everything I've got. I'll even throw high-end weapons at Chuchus for fun because why not. You'll always find more later.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
The problem is the game rarely requires you to use your best weapons, so you spend a lot of time micromanaging stuff for a real fight that doesn't exist.
Yeah I think this is part of the reason I did this, because I was able to, without any real noticeable drawback. I just think in the long term it started to wear on me and fights probably took a good bit longer than they should have. So I'm hoping this new approach will get me a bit further because I did tend to manage this stuff way more than I wanted to.

Throw your weak weapons for critical hits and then use your good weapons for actual fighting. If you do this and pick up every dropped weapon you'll never have to worry
Didn't think about that, never threw many of them. Thanks for that tip.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Once you get over that hump, a weight is lifted for sure. I just made sure to hold on to a few elemental weapons as backups and the rest I used freely. Once you get Link's signature sword and do the DLC you're kind of set anyway.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
The game scales with you (more enemies you kill, the harder they get, dropping stronger weapons). The way you're supposed to play is like a scavenger. Use everything you have all the time. Leave hoarder mentality at the door and you'll have fun.

If you're concerned about losing something "rare", just take a photo of it and it's forever logged in your encyclopedia, and move on.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The game treats weapons the way most shooters treat bullets. Just use em up, you might get in a tough position at some point here or there, but being precious about it doesn't solve anything.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding this to be more of an issue with the bow, since those break at slower rates than swords combined with them generally being used less (the game doesn't feed you enough arrows for the opposite to be true).

I'll use a specific bow for a long ass time, and the game will give you newer stronger bows at a pretty good rate, but my current bow is still combat viable and in good shape, and because the game doesn't allow you to throw your bows like you can with swords, you're relegatted to slogging through the inventory to discard the older bow(s)) to make room for newer bows. So I'm now hoarding old bows and I pretty much rarely pick up new bows despite them being more powerful because the process is a chore.

It's a sometimes annoying exercise.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I always hoard one good weapon for emergencies and maybe something fire-based for a quick updraft escape and just use literally anything I get my hands on.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mechanic is game breaking for me, the combat was shite already, but then your forced to waste time managing weapons over a disparaging insinuation made by the designers that your incapable of juggling weapons. The overhead of simply dealing with grunts where by your weapon could break really impacted my enjoyment, I dropped the game. I mean you could stock up the same kind of weapons meaning you could bypass the designers contrived idea of weapon variety. Couldn't stand it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I basically just never fought anyone, to be honest. I'd run past whatever enemies I could to avoid the hassle of weapon management.

Yeah I did this too. Its very easy to avoid most enemies and your rewards for actually fighting them were generally not worth the effort nor interesting because they're almost always the same enemies.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Breath of the Wild is an amazing game but its biggest shortcoming is how the game gets noticeably easier after the first dozen or so hours. It gets to a point where dying isn't an issue and you've already seen all the enemy types the game has to offer ( which is very little). The game is at its best during what is essentially it's tutorial. It's a shame it never reaches those heights again. Zelda games have always had a problem of being way too easy but BotW looked like it was going to avoid that issue early on.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Yeah I did this too. Its very easy to avoid most enemies and your rewards for actually fighting them were generally not worth the effort nor interesting because they're almost always the same enemies.
This is something I had tried not to do myself, because I felt I'd get to a point where I was doing it way too much. But I'll agree that it never really seemed all that rewarding yet, like every weapon I see, I don't want to pass it by. So I'd always fight whatever I could and never avoid anything. Probably another mindset I could tweak a bit.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
When I eventually get around to streaming this game, I'm going to make a point of playing it different from the first time. I played like OP, always using big clumsy slow undesirable weapons first. Never had space for the wands, never bothered with spears only kept a couple elemental weapons for cold/fire etc. Need to remember to always use my strongest weapons first, intentionally change my long standing min-maxing habits.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I do the exact same as you

But I do defo use the big weapons sometimes. Those shrine boss machine things... my god I use them then!!

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're saving your best weapons for a big tough fight that will never exist.

Honestly, the game never gets difficult enough (outside of one or two instances) that you won't be able to get by using the weakest weapons currently in your inventory - including on Master mode.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Everyone saying the big tough fights don't exist, yea they do!

Use them on Lynels. The first one I fought I ran out of weapons because they all broke in the fight it was really irritating. I usually keep 2 weapons aside for fighting a Lynel if the little shitty workhorse weapons I've got break which the probably will.

If I'm honest I hated the weapon breaking feature.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone saying the big tough fights don't exist, yea they do!

Use them on Lynels. The first one I fought I ran out of weapons because they all broke in the fight it was really irritating. I usually keep 2 weapons aside for fighting a Lynel if the little shitty workhorse weapons I've got break which the probably will.

If I'm honest I hated the weapon breaking feature.

Thats the only enemy in the game with an extensive moveset and they're quite rare. I only wanted the base version of the Barbarian Armour because I was playing the game like a glass canon and didnt want +def, so fighting Lynels was also completely a waste of time spending your good weapons just to upgrade that set.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Thats the only enemy in the game with an extensive moveset and they're quite rare. I only wanted the base version of the Barbarian Armour because I was playing the game like a glass canon and didnt want +def, so fighting Lynels was also completely a waste of time spending your good weapons just to upgrade that set.
Oh shit I just fight them because they are there and a bit of a challenge that's all.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hm. I use my weapons, but I certainly hoard up on them and use my best weapons last or, selectively to be more specific. Like I certainly don't want to fight a those centuar things without a solid weapon. I also make sure to keep an ice weapon on hand always cause they are very potent and help to get out of sticky situations.

I'd say it's fine to hoard, but be sure to use your good stuff too when you feel it's right.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I only kept elemental weapons - one for each type. But otherwise use it and lose it never failed me.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
The first one I fought I ran out of weapons because they all broke in the fight
I hate this. This is why the weapon durability system sucks. In a Zelda game your skill is the only thing that should matter. If you can dodge your enemy's attacks long enough and deal enough damage even with the shittiest weapon, then you should be able to kill it. This was possible in every Zelda game ever until one day they decided to go "well now we're making it mathematically impossible to kill this enemy". The only times where this wasn't possible was for lore reasons like you need the master sword to kill Ganon.
The RPG elements in this game suck and what is it all for? So that I can get another damn weapon in a shrine I find. Did they never think about maybe giving the player something actually interesting and different when beating a shrine? Like the optional magic cape in ALTTP or the cane of byrna? No, it's the same thing every damn time: Another weapon and part of your stamina or health.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I found the only good thing to hoard were elemental weapons since they do great damage on the enemies weak to them. Other than that, I used mostly everything

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild is an amazing game but its biggest shortcoming is how the game gets noticeably easier after the first dozen or so hours. It gets to a point where dying isn't an issue and you've already seen all the enemy types the game has to offer ( which is very little). The game is at its best during what is essentially it's tutorial. It's a shame it never reaches those heights again. Zelda games have always had a problem of being way too easy but BotW looked like it was going to avoid that issue early on.
This unfortunately true. The exploration part stays fresh throughout but the combat/survival element only shines again on that island. You'd almost wish the designers would be bold enough to remove the hearts mechanic from the game. Well, in fact they almost did since you can upgrade stamina instead of hearts for most of the game making combat more risky.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It is an excellent mechanics to keep the non-linear open world of BOTW. It did not bother me at any time.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I hate this. This is why the weapon durability system sucks. In a Zelda game your skill is the only thing that should matter. If you can dodge your enemy's attacks long enough and deal enough damage even with the shittiest weapon, then you should be able to kill it. This was possible in every Zelda game ever until one day they decided to go "well now we're making it mathematically impossible to kill this enemy". The only times where this wasn't possible was for lore reasons like you need the master sword to kill Ganon.
The RPG elements in this game suck and what is it all for? So that I can get another damn weapon in a shrine I find. Did they never think about maybe giving the player something actually interesting and different when beating a shrine? Like the optional magic cape in ALTTP or the cane of byrna? No, it's the same thing every damn time: Another weapon and part of your stamina or health.

That's why the high jump ability is the most meaningful thing you get in the game imo. Everything around fighting in that game was an endless weapon acquisition loop with the semi-useful master sword being an outlier. Having the means to solve basically any puzzle off the bat also kind of negated the metroidvania type enjoyment that came from gaining new tools and the plateau area is the best feeling zone because you were gaining new abilities and werent overloaded with food and equipment (eventide was neat too).

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Yep found it annoying and they were never strong enough for the Major battle challenge shrines. Could go through like half the inventory of weapons and they barely made a dent in the enemy.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I am typically an item hoarder in games but I had no issue using the good stuff in BotW. I think I tend to hoard items that are on limited supply per run, but almost nothing in BotW is; all weapons either drop from enemies or appear again where you found them. The unique "racial" weapons I did not use indeed, even though you can repair them with diamonds, but mostly because they weren't that good to begin with.

Once you get the Master Sword the problem becomes the opposite, even the good weapons break more slowly than you get them so you end up having to throw away elemental weapons and such. :D

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The game gives you a ton of options in combat

I've been in situations where I've had no weapons and managed to win fights

If you don't use what the game gives you, then that's on you. You won't find yourself in an unwinnable situation, so use what you have and stop worrying about it

The only situation where I could see the weapon durability being an issue would be if the game didn't throw weapons at you by the bucket load, but the game does that

Try and break as many weapons as you can, and also pick up every weapon you find, see how often you run out of weapons

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never did hord them. Used them. They broke, got new ones at every turn. They broke. Good weapons were aplenty.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I used my weapons relatively freely except I would save one or two top of the line weapons at all times just in case I ran into a Lynel. But near the end of my time with the game after maxing out my weapon inventory size I started actively hunting lynels, and stockpiled an entire inventory of lynel weapons every melee and bow slot was lynel gear. For some reason I just found fighting them really satisfying and relaxing.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I played through without caring about which weapons to use, choosing weak and strong weapons equally. Whatever I could find would do the job. By the end of the game I couldn't find a single weapon without some kind of buff, and I was stocked with an inventory of swords all with >50 attack points of damage. My Lynel weapons could crush mountains. Had a friend who played roughly the same amount of time, but more conservatively, who was still picking up Boko clubs near the fight with Ganon.

The game rewards you for using the good stuff.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i didn't like the weapon system at first but now it doesn't bother me. there are some ones that i don't like using so i just don't pick them up. i have plenty of weapons...in fact i have little space so i need to try find more seeds to get more slots.

what i do is always have my weakest gear equipped and if i need a bit more power i'll switch out. you don't even need to do that. i could use those lvl 40-50 swords all day if i wanted but it's just my preference of playing with weaker gear.

the game gives you the freedom so just do what you want. weapons breaking can be annoying early on in the game but it's not an issue when the game dumps you in weapons and i mean you can be picky about what you use (i hate moblin weapons or arms and axes/boomerangs/spears)

i think when it comes to more difficult enemies (guardians/lynels) then you need to be more careful with what you use.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been okay with it if your weapon didn't break way too often. Like they are seriously fragile :/

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Just save one or two good weapons for the occasional tougher enemy like a Lynels and cycle through the rest of the slots.

That said, this is actually what I ended up doing for quite a few encounters. The rewards for attacking the same bokoblins over and over early on were pathetic so why even bother....

By the end of the game every enemy drops good weapons but then you have the issue of enemy health scaling just being a chore. So I still ended up avoiding a lot of fights then too. :/

Shame as the world itself is a lot of fun to explore and the shrines had some interesting puzzles, but yeah, the combat bogged down by design choices I wasn't a fan of.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you are not supposed to hoard, the game gives you plenty as long as youkep exploring.

the entire gameplay is based areound resource management, but that doesn't mean you have to go the rpg route and hoard stuff and never use them, just be mindful or when you use them and when you can avoid doing soby just using the environment or something else.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No, I didn't horde, and the game design blatantly discourages it anyway.

I honestly expected to hate the weapon breaking system going into the game, but it was a complete non-issue.