• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about singleplayer modes in this multiplayer focused game

I'll take more characters to use in multiplayer, please

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Millions of people who are literally praying for opportunity to PAY as their favourite character disagree.

Millions of paying customers with free youtube promotion > OP.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I could also talk about the patch that made Olimar hurtboxes bigger that his shield or Mewtwo tail that is so big, he can never space properly since he has long ass hurtbox behind everywhere.

Mewtwo tail hurtbox wasnt decreased on patch 4.0? I may remember wrong, serious question.

I mean, they have been patching hurtboxes, hitboxes and frame data with every big patch they are realeasing. This will keep happening thanks to the second pass, so that's good also. If it didn't exists, they wouldn't keep working on the game and adjusting those things until 2021 most probably.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
C-stick aerials have drift because its a macro for analogue + direction instead of specifically an aerial input, and I agree its annoying.
yea but I'm talking about the big drift if you're doing a rising aerial from the ground. It was never like that. It's probably related to the short hop aerial macro. I dunno
All I know is that I have problems to control my character in this game. ^^

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
yea but I'm talking about the big drift if you're doing a rising aerial from the ground. It was never like that. It's probably related to the short hop aerial macro. I dunno

Havn't noticed it being worse while rising. I assume its a macro because many different controllers are compatible.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I've honestly never dropped a smash game faster than ultimate. I boot it up whenever a new character drops for a couple of hours but that's it. I feel like I've experienced this same content before. I hope the next game is a complete reboot change the moves for every character start with a small roster if necessary. Bring in some good single player and other modes. Finally make the online good.

OP
OP
Blackquill

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Millions of people who are literally praying for opportunity to PAY as their favourite character disagree.

Millions of paying customers with free youtube promotion > OP.

This reasonning is not interesting. Here we are talking about what would be better for the game, we are not talking from business standpoint. We are not shareholders.

Mewtwo tail hurtbox wasnt decreased on patch 4.0? I may remember wrong, serious question.

I mean, they have been patching hurtboxes, hitboxes and frame data with every big patch they are realeasing. This will keep happening thanks to the second pass, so that's good also. If it didn't exists, they wouldn't keep working on the game and adjusting those things until 2021 most probably.

It was decreased but it is still their and if you have played Mewtwo long enough you know that during a lot of his animations, he is waving his tail everywhere without the player having decent control over it. It's not rare to see a Mewtwo get hit from very far because his tail was on the way while the main body is not. In Smash 4, the tail hurtbox was removed and I think that was the best course of action because without it, Mewtwo is basically the biggest character in the game while also being the lightest. That's too much.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this game is a once in a lifetime dream come true for millions of gamers have out there to make their dream crossovers come true. more characters and IPs being added is always welcome.
nee modes can always be added alongside new characters, as we've already seen happen.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Yes, it's different from previous entries but I think it feels better, at least for me. When the game launched I remember people said the acceleration movement when fighters were launched was weird and now I see Smash 4 videos and it's that the one that feels really really weird for me.

Also, I am not having problems to control my character except for the ocassional unwanted shield buffer... but I got used to it in a way that I am more conscious about that possibility. I think some of these things has to do with more of an habit from previous entries that a problem per-se.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Yes, it's different from previous entries but I think it feels better, at least for me. When the game launched I remember people said the acceleration movement when fighters were launched was weird and now I see Smash 4 videos and it's that the one that feels really really weird for me.
Smash 4 looks like it's on slow mo to me now its wild.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All of these things that we want besides characters can theoretically be added/patched in during development of new fighters -- except online improvements because Nintendo will continue to suck ass at that. Maybe we can convince Nintendo that fans will pay for a Stage DLC pass.

I'll never stop wanting more characters even though I've been long satisfied with the game. I've been playing Smash since the N64, and it has been my favorite franchise since Melee. I want to see it continue to grow exponentially with each new installment because that's part of why I find these games so damn fun.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Smash 4 looks like it's on slow mo to me now its wild.

Then don't even try with Brawl...

Problem with the launch speed in Smash 4 is that it doesn't have any acceleration, while Ultimate does. So, at the beggining the Smash Ultimate launch speed felt "weird" because people was used to Smash 4 lack of acceleration but seeing that in retrospective, now the one that it feels really weird and the one that lacks impact to me is the Smash 4 one.

Smash Ultimate, gameplay wise, is much better than Smash 4 despite those small changes that some people may not like (like the macro or the buffer). Speed, as you said, is one big improvement.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'd argue that the roster is among those flaws, especially considering that Smash Ultimate has the 3rd worst female fighter percentage of any modern fighting game. That's something that needs to at least be addressed. Though I'm not sure if it's a one or the other situation. The people who make the characters aren't necessarily the ones who make the modes.

With that said, I do agree that Smash Ultimate could use more modes & definitely better netcode (sadly the latter is more of a Bandai Namco problem, as pretty much all of their online fighting game experiences have been subpar). I still find it ironic that Capcom is the only Japanese fighting game developer who's made good netcode for one of their fighting games this generation (MvCI).

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Then don't even try with Brawl...

Problem with the launch speed in Smash 4 is that it doesn't have any acceleration, while Ultimate does. So, at the beggining the Smash Ultimate launch speed felt "weird" because people was used to Smash 4 lack of acceleration but seeing that in retrospective, now the one that it feels really weird and the one that lacks impact to me is the Smash 4 one.

Smash Ultimate, gameplay wise, is much better than Smash 4 despite those small changes that some people may not like (like the macro or the buffer). Speed, as you said, is one big improvement.
The launch speed in all previous Smash games feels jarring to me now. The devs were right with Ultimate when they said they wanted to get players to where they need to be as soon as possible. So weird now seeing older games and watching your character slowly zoom towards the blast zone and hang out of bounds for a while before dying.

Nov 18, 2017
Man i think i agree, FP1 was worth it for Terry & Banjo but the rest are just clogging up the character select screen (dont @ me, opinions are like arseholes etc, etc). the DLC characters are almost always broken when they drop, same was true of Smash 4 aswell the DLC deffo creates a power creep problem. Hero just isnt fun to fight against as i have no idea what any of his spells do, my enjoyment of smash ultimate is weakened slightly overall with him now being there. The same feeling happened for me when corrin was introduced in smash 4 and now im scared byleth will leave me feeling the same (that up b looks disgusting).

Yeah i think we're good for characters, gimme more stages & modes please

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017

Also, I am not having problems to control my character except for the ocassional unwanted shield buffer... but I got used to it in a way that I am more conscious about that possibility. I think some of these things has to do with more of an habit from previous entries that a problem per-se.
I'm aware that most things are a question of preference. I just don't like the flow of the game and how the neutral works. I wish I would, but I don't. I stopped competing for this reason.

A few day ago I picked up Snake to avoid most of my gripes with the game. Currently I just play the game to troll people with Snake. At least that's fun to me.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Man i think i agree, FP1 was worth it for Terry & Banjo but the rest are just clogging up the character select screen (dont @ me, opinions are like arseholes etc, etc). the DLC characters are almost always broken when they drop, same was true of Smash 4 aswell the DLC deffo creates a power creep problem. Hero just isnt fun to fight against as i have no idea what any of his spells do, my enjoyment of smash ultimate is weakened slightly overall with him now being there. The same feeling happened for me when corrin was introduced in smash 4 and now im scared byleth will leave me feeling the same (that up b looks disgusting).

Yeah i think we're good for characters, gimme more stages & modes please
I mean, the only ones who were legitimately a problem competitively were Cloud & Bayonetta back in the Wii U/3DS days (more so the latter). Joker winning majors proved to be more of a MKLeo problem than a Joker problem, Hero's mediocre beyond his RNG Down-B, and Banjo & Terry didn't make a huge splash competitively from what I've seen (though at least in Terry's case, it's only been 2 months).

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I'm aware that most things are a question of preference. I just don't like the flow of the game and how the neutral works. I wish I would, but I don't. I stopped competing for this reason.

A few day ago I picked up Snake to avoid most of my gripes with the game. Currently I just play the game to troll people with Snake. At least that's fun to me.

Well, it's a preference thing as you say. I couldn't get into competitive Smash 4 because I didn't gel with some of its mechanics either (mainly how buffed the shields are which invites to play too defensively) but I play Ultimate competitive and I found it a major improvement despite some of its nitpicks. I understand that's not the case for everyone however.

In relation to the topic, I always welcome new characters as DLC because maybe one of them can be the perfect character for me... I main Inkling and previously I played Ness, so I am ok if they give me a new favourite character with which I enjoy to play.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
From a fan/consumer perspective, I agree with you, OP - I personally would love to have more and diverse modes - a beefy single player mode, better online, etc.

However, from a business perspective, new characters make the most sense:
  • 1) Higher monetization potential (it's easier to get non-paying consumers to convert with smaller, bite-sized pieces of content. Generally speaking a player is more likely to pass on purchasing a new game mode than a character or cosmetic.)
  • 2) B2B licensing potential - the game has become a marketing tool for other IPs, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo gets some sort of monetary value out of including certain brands in the game. Also cross marketing, which is always nice.
  • 3) More marketing beats to capitalize on. This is something that's fairly mainstream now for a lot of live competitive games (Overwatch, Fortnite), but new for Nintendo. Instead of having their roadmap end soon after launch, they keep it in the press and at the forefront of consumers' minds by creating several pulse points long after the main game has shipped.
New modes can increase engagement sure, and keep the daily active user count consistent, but if you had to prioritize and wanted a business model that maximized monetization AND engagement, well...there you go.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Online is so shit in this game, that's a big problem.

The fact that they're working on DLC chars until end of 2021 probably means that they will add some other content to the game, but also Sakurai is probably actually working on something else because 2 years for 6 characters is too much time.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I'm kinda with you OP, though I wouldn't go as far as saying I don't want new characters anymore (especially after Byleth).

But as you said, even without talking about new 1P modes there are many things to improve regarding the gameplay itself (previous posts have listed most of them), online modes and such.
I'm still hoping that we get alternate skins for many characters, it's something I actually want as much as a new character to be honest.

Cut/shortened musics could be brought back in their complete version, loading times could be optimized especially on CSS for alternate skins, language options should feature a toggle for voices only so you don't have to change all of the game's language and reboot it, well the list can go long.

The fact that FP2 has been announced to last until December 2021 for only 1 more character than FP1 (which laster only 1 year) gives me hope, though. Maybe they'll be able to take their time to include those kind of things (new skins, QOL and gameplay improvements) with patches alongside new fighters, I just hope I'm not mistaken on this.
What could actually be the reason FP2 is planned to last for so much longer?

Oct 25, 2017
The purchase cost of those new characters is what funds the development of said patches.

Wait a minute. You're telling me, multi-million dollar Nintendo needs to be funded to patch the game? Because this truly can't be what you meant. I can't imagine any first party, second or third party studio truly stating that future fixable patches need to be funded before they can be implemented. So can you elaborate on this a bit?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute. You're telling me, multi-million dollar Nintendo needs to be funded to patch the game? Because this truly can't be what you meant. I can't imagine any first party, second or third party studio truly stating that future fixable patches need to be funded before they can be implemented. So can you elaborate on this a bit?

Do you think studios patch games out of good will? Patches obviously need to be funded and to have a purpose monetary speaking. That's applicable for every single game of any company. Patches cost a lot of money. No company will invest money on something that will not earn them back anything.

Nobody would buy new modes because people don't care about that. It's the harsh truth. The game already has a story mode and they slowly added stuff that could be added without costing too much like homerun contest, but people expecting a new story mode are hoping for something that will never happen. Characters is what most people want, and it's something that can be promoted and sold quite easily.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Here I thought subscribing to their mediocre online service would be enough

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
If there's ever a sequel to Smash Ultimate, I fear for the games expectations because of how large the character roster is for this game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it's nice to have new characters every two or three months but the thing is, if you come back on the game only to play the character and end up not loving him, you sure are not going to play a lot more afterwards. But instead, if you get great single player content, a new interesting mode or even an online mode that is not rage inducing, you are more likely to play more because the overall quality of the game has been improved. Adding a new character has not as much impact as you guys may think.

But what if you don't like the game mode or feature they add? It's the exact same problem.

For example, target Smash was fun, but it isn't gonna keep my interest for more than an hour at most.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Never stop adding new characters. It's the whole appeal of the game to me.

If there's ever a sequel to Smash Ultimate, I fear for the games expectations because of how large the character roster is for this game.

Just port the game to the next system. Let this be the last Smash for a while, and just keep adding to it. Can add more game modes and other things as well, even a new campaign would be cool.

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
characters are king

stages are queen

everything else is just the icing on top. the icing on the king and queen

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Smash ultimate is going for a record. All that other stuff can wait for another smash game when sakurai isn't developing it. Let him have his fun and set his record

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
If anything I want more avenues for characters like additional ATs and Pokémon summons. Not all characters work well as a fighter, but more fan service is always great.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
But what if you don't like the game mode or feature they add? It's the exact same problem.

For example, target Smash was fun, but it isn't gonna keep my interest for more than an hour at most.

I agree, and I would say the problem is that Smash is as good as it gets on its natural field but it's pretty poor, as expected, when you try other things with it. I would say that Smash even looses half its appeal when you play it on walkways stages so don't get me started on some kind of platformer-beat em up mode.

Smash is not a good platformer. The physics and mechanics are not those of a platformer or a beat em up. The movement, the jumping... all feel weird in a platformer scenario. Smash modes that make sense are those that build upon the fighting mechanics: Spirits battles and Squad Strike, for exemple, I find them cool and I go back to them from time to time. However don't even try to put me to play "Adventure mode" or "Subspace" because if I wanted that I would play a Mario game or a Megaman game, which are designed with that in mind and not as an afterthought.

Most Smash modes like Target Smash, Home Run Contest, Subspace Emissary and so on are, for me, just a play it once and I am done. They don't seem to fit or work with the Smash formula. Of course, that's my opinion and I am happy if some other guys find them enjoyable.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
characters are king

stages are queen

everything else is just the icing on top. the icing on the king and queen
Yet with Street Fighter V, most of the complaints were centered around the lack of modes (there were roster size complaints, but they weren't nearly as common). I'm not saying that the roster isn't important, but the modes are also important.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Yet with Street Fighter V, most of the complaints were centered around the lack of modes (there were roster size complaints, but they weren't nearly as common). I'm not saying that the roster isn't important, but the modes are also important.
Street Fighter V is not Smash Bros

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Characters are the appeal of the series, though I wouldn't complain about a few more modes. A proper all-star, for instance.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

The nature of Smash sort of alleviates that. Even if you don't have all of the extra modes that have appeared throughout the series, it still had its fair share of new and old stuff. Plus, you have full customisation over the way fights are handled, which completely alters the game and keeps it fresh (1v1 Final Destination, compared with 3v3 Pokémon Stadium with FS meter, compared with Hyrule Temple 8 player FFA with all items and metal superspicy curry bunny ear modifiers).

SFV didn't even launch with an arcade mode, and I don't think it even had a VS CPU mode at launch, did it? It wasn't a lack of modes, it was a lack of basic features for the genre.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Never stop adding new characters. It's the whole appeal of the game to me.

Just port the game to the next system. Let this be the last Smash for a while, and just keep adding to it. Can add more game modes and other things as well, even a new campaign would be cool.
Square already made a stink about Cloud and wanted him to be DLC again, you think Nintendo won't have problems keeping everything in there?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Square already made a stink about Cloud and wanted him to be DLC again, you think Nintendo won't have problems keeping everything in there?

He's licensed for Ultimate. If they want more money they could license other characters to put out as DLC they have a large roster of characters to choose from that people would go ape shit excited for.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If anything I want more avenues for characters like additional ATs and Pokémon summons. Not all characters work well as a fighter, but more fan service is always great.
Man, when Sakurai said there are more assist trophies than Pokemon this time, I knew I'd be disappointed in the Pokemon selection. It feels like it gets smaller and smaller each game.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It's weird, in a sense - I'm far more excited about the hype and reveals of characters than I am about actually playing as them. It's exciting speculating about who might be added and then seeing the awesome reveals and online reactions...but I haven't even played as Hero or Terry yet.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Man, when Sakurai said there are more assist trophies than Pokemon this time, I knew I'd be disappointed in the Pokemon selection. It feels like it gets smaller and smaller each game.
Broke: Being upset Decidueye didn't make it in as a fighter.
Woke: Being upset Stunfisk didn't make it in as a summon.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Fighters and Stages. That's the meat of the game, the true thing that homages games and franchises.

That's smash to me. So the more, the merrier. I wish even more after the next 6.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Broke: Being upset Decidueye didn't make it in as a fighter.
Woke: Being upset Stunfisk didn't make it in as a summon.
Now that's a perfect Pokeball summon right there, especially now that we have Galarian Stunfisk.

Also, I wish they didn't cut so many Pokemon from previous games. Melee had so many, and back then, you could have up to 12 pokeballs on the field at once. Absolutely beautiful insanity.

Last edited:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
look at it this way: Pokemon still has, like, twelve times as many "assist trophies" as any other series

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
When I think Smash Ultimate I think "lacking content".....

.... I shall also be invading Russia this winter.