• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm sure I saw a thread many months ago that console players were experiencing more in terms of hackers etc when playing with open systems like PC. Was there any truth in the end from this?

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The same can be said to controllers vs arcade sticks in fighting games.

Like, aside obvious genres, i'll always prefer to play everything on controller, 90% of what i play on pc is on a controller. I'm so lazy that i use joytokey to map mouse commands to play point and click adventures, so i'll be the first to defend the comfiest way to play a game.

But how the hell people prefer the comfy way to play competitively instead of the one controlling method that offers the best performance? It's kind of funny how seriously they can take competitively online gaming while using the control scheme that offers worse performance on purpose.

I don't think i ever played online on consoles tho, i definitely don't know this console online universe and probably would never pay to play online. It's probably something you get when you're part of it and that's okay, but i still think it's kinda funny.

You can have both. Enjoy competitively games on a very even field comfy as possible. With pc console crossplay you kinda lose it.

What I think is funny in this discussion that console first peeps dont like playing with pc peeps and it's mostly pc only peeps who see the benefits. Who would have thought.

If opt out or forced is the way going forward then I think alot of ppl will stop online games altogether. And it's really funny that alot of ppl don't crasp that. As long as they get a bigger base.m they don't care If the most ppl suffer because of it.

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
I think there is a huge flaw in the argument about controller inputs - it doesnt matter if the game has decent matchmaking. If someone is completely dominating the map he should not be there - matchmaking failed you not cross play.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The whole point of crossplay is to increase the player pool without spliting it.

Split in game with no crossplay:
- PC player pool
- PS player pool
- Xbox player pool
- Switch player pool

Split in game with forced crossplay:
- Universal player pool (no split)

Split if the game lets you opt out:
- Universal player pool
- PC-only player pool
- PS-only player pool
- Xbox-only player pool
- Switch-only player pool

Split if the game lets you choose between full crossplay, console crossplay or no crossplay:
- Universal player pool
- Console-only player pool (console-only crossplay)
- PC-only player pool
- PS-only player pool
- Xbox-only player pool
- Switch-only player pool

More crossplay options = more splitting of the playerbase, negating the point of crossplay.

Forced crossplay is good. They just need to make it so the game TRIES to match people with the same input, and only resort to mixing inputs as the last resort if there aren't enough players.

^ I agree wholeheartedly. The solution you presented where it tries to match to your platform/input as a priority is a perfect solution to this issue and one that likely would not be difficult to implement in all games.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I absolutely agree with the OP, I hate it too.

Hacker country can stay in their own bubble please.
Being able to play with friends on PC and then having to join a mixed matchmaking, sure.
Being able to optionally activate a mixed matchmaking sure.

But forced/must be activated? GTFO with that shit.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
We have pro fighting players using arcade like sticks, why m+kb on console is considered so bad?

Console FPS fans are probably the only case in videogames where the worse controlling method is preferable while the superior method is looked down upon. Like, they want to play competitive shooters, they know one controlling method has the obvious advantage, but they prefer to ban the best way to control instead of, you know, using it? Will never understand why this crowd insist so much in playing a videogame in a worse way. Or how the hell there's even competitive shooters using controllers. It's legitimately weird af for me.

You don't understand what you are talking about in regards to fighting games. There is no advantage to using an arcade stick over a controller. Absolutely no difference and isn't comparable in anyway to KB&M to controller in shooters.

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely agree with you 1000%, OP. You represent 99.99% of the console playerpool (who are not here, nor do they post anywhere online) when you say this.

The ONLY group of people who benefit from PC/Console crossplay are players on PC. They leech the console userbase and survive their otherwise soon-to-be-dead game from launch (like they usually do for "most" new AAA games and indies), thanks to the influx of console players.

Console playerbase gets ZERO advantage from PC. It's a one way street. If PC wants crossplay from consoles, the BARE MINIMUM requirement to even consider for crossplay (yet, still not allowed for genre like shooters) should be bringing in equal number of players as much as consoles, not leeching from them and pretending to be "increasing the player population" if all you're bringing in are 17 players on PC and 170,000 on console. 17 players is not "increasing the population", you're leeching them to stay alive on yours and pretending to present a lie in an argument, to be a significant part of contributing to help the playerbase grow, when being merely a hair strand.

Battlefield is a traditional PC franchise (one that sells multiple folds on consoles though) that can stand on it's own on PC for it's survival in MP, but generally (on average) the ratio is as such.

Games made by Valve/Blizzard + viral games which have evolved through mods and favorites of stream monsters (DayZ, PUBG, Fortnite etc.), F2P titles that have stellar support and titles which have a PC centric legacy (like Battlefield, SIMS, Football manager etc) will always have a sustainable playerbase/DAU/MAU count on PC. The rest of the existing and upcoming "PAID" titles suffer the same fate they have in the past - die within days, if not, weeks within launch, when they thrive on console. It's been happening for decades. It's nothing new.

This new practice of crossplay this past generation, has all these entitled PC brats, demanding consoles be open to crossplay with them and send death threats to console manufacturers if they don't. The console manufacturers are merely helping your platform, out of pity of your platform dying. They don't owe you shit. Their platform. THEIR RULES. You don't get to make demands to people to help you. You "ask", nicely. They deny, for ANY reason.

Your (PC player) voice is IRRELEVANT to console players or the manufacturer. In fact, PC crossplay brings in significant disadvantages (apart from the IRREFUTABLE HARDWARE ADVANTAGES that PC has over consoles, even the new consoles, that makes them laughable as platforms) and one of the main ones is aggressive aim assist/bullet magnetism. Take titles like CoD, from 2019's MW (and Warzone) and the skill ceiling of the already low console version (due to the limits of the turn speed of a controller analog stick and it's deadzones) of CoD's are even lowered by these techniques, all to please a handful of special snowflakes on PC who don't have players to play with, and so that these devs could attract those handful of PC players and monetize them.

ResetEra is a primarily a privileged, ELITIST PC Gaming forum, who happen to have consoles as their secondary platform or leftover boxes used for exclusives. If you voice your opinions here as a primarily console only player, you will be insulted with lies, your skill in videogames and disingenuous trash that you haven't said, implied or be flooded with social media shenanigans, like they usually do. Be prepared for death threats for starting this thread, as you should, from these "gAmErZ rIzE uP!!!" kind.

Crossplay SHOULD ALWAYS BE ONLY BETWEEN CONSOLES, period. PC crossplay with consoles, should not even exist, IN ANY GENRE, (particularly fighting games and shooters, going forward into this generation) if it does, it should ALWAYS BE OPT-IN. I cannot even imagine what would happen in the age of HFR fighting games where their game logic runs at 120FPS. Though I don't believe (or I'm not sure) that Samurai Shodown's recent update for the XSX and PC (EGS) runs it's logic at 120FPS, the trend for future FG's is inevitable. Majors will start having 120FPS as "tournament settings".

And like clockwork, the PC warriors flood the thread with disingenuous bad faith arguments in the lines of "oH nOeZ b-B-b-BuT wHaT bOuT mUh fReNz tHo!!!" to hide the real reason why they WANT crossplay - USUAL LOW SALES = USUAL LOW ACTIVE PLAYERBASE. All of a sudden console players are now "friends". How convenient. Ask your playerbase to BUY THE GAME in the millions like console players (not in the hundreds), instead of crossplay begging in a console thread, dear trolls.

By default, Console Crossplay should be forced, no arguments there from the OP and PC should not even be considered. Give them an inch, they take a mile. No need for ANY explanation. They don't own the console platform, nor do the developers/publishers.

Devs take console manufacturers for granted and do it because they have forums like ERA and 4CHAN on their side to push the PC crossplay propaganda, or they will cause another Fortnite situation where SONY's stocks dropped following media uproar on SONY blocking Cross-progression and Crossplay (CITATION NEEDED ON WHETHER THIS WAS THE DIRECT REASON FOR THE DROP), so they (devs/pubs) think they can continue this forced PC crossplay cancer, down the throats of console consumers without any backlash because most console players don't even use forums/message boards or most forms of social media, to pretend that they took their opinions in.

They (the devs) know for a fact that, if they leave crossplay on, the vast majority of the console players (IN ALL GAMES ACROSS ALL GENRE) won't turn it off or even go into the settings for starters. It's precisely the reason, all these PC trolls are wanting forced PC crossplay by default or "opt-out crossplay" while they throw their bad faith "iTz aN oPtIoN bRo!!!" arguments. Having console-only crossplay by default, and PC as "opt-in" is an "OPTION" too.

The developers want to use the console playerpool as guinea pigs to serve their ambitions (player engagement = monetization opportunities) on expanding the PC base, as they're guaranteed that their game won't die on PC if they crossplay with consoles. They will lie to your face like it's tuesday, on how all the versions are "equal".

SONY/MSFT/NTDO should force the 3RD party developers to crossplay ONLY BETWEEN CONSOLES, period. Don't ever consider PC. This is the ONLY solution. Console maker's priority SHOULD ALWAYS be on their own console playerbase, especially in 3RD party games. The console manufacturers get ZERO REVENUE from 3RD party titles sold on PC, and even if they do in some miraculous circumstance such as the Xbox Play Anywhere initiative, it's not the Xbox Console Player's problem. If the PC population dies, like they usually do, they die. It's THEIR problem. Not console's.

CONSOLE-ONLY CROSSPLAY is the ONLY future of crossplay, whether PC gamers like it or they don't. It's not their call. It's call of the rightful owner of the console who spent their hard earned money on their boxes and pays a yearly sub fee to play exclusively with other console players, or the console manufacturer, who gets 3RD party royalty from the pubs who publish their software on their platform, that get to make the final decision.

PC players are merely spectators in the issue of crossplay. Your opinions are INVALID for console hardware and console manufacturer's 3RD party royalty income, your spent $0 on. Check your feelings, take the L and jog on.
Graphics Horse, is that you?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have pro fighting players using arcade like sticks, why m+kb on console is considered so bad?

Console FPS fans are probably the only case in videogames where the worse controlling method is preferable while the superior method is looked down upon. Like, they want to play competitive shooters, they know one controlling method has the obvious advantage, but they prefer to ban the best way to control instead of, you know, using it? Will never understand why this crowd insist so much in playing a videogame in a worse way. Or how the hell there's even competitive shooters using controllers. It's legitimately weird af for me.
Why do you think people buy consoles?
Absolutely agree with you 1000%, OP. You represent 99.99% of the console playerpool (who are not here, nor do they post anywhere online) when you say this.

The ONLY group of people who benefit from PC/Console crossplay are players on PC. They leech the console userbase and survive their otherwise soon-to-be-dead game from launch (like they usually do for "most" new AAA games and indies), thanks to the influx of console players.

Console playerbase gets ZERO advantage from PC. It's a one way street. If PC wants crossplay from consoles, the BARE MINIMUM requirement to even consider for crossplay (yet, still not allowed for genre like shooters) should be bringing in equal number of players as much as consoles, not leeching from them and pretending to be "increasing the player population" if all you're bringing in are 17 players on PC and 170,000 on console. 17 players is not "increasing the population", you're leeching them to stay alive on yours and pretending to present a lie in an argument, to be a significant part of contributing to help the playerbase grow, when being merely a hair strand.

Battlefield is a traditional PC franchise (one that sells multiple folds on consoles though) that can stand on it's own on PC for it's survival in MP, but generally (on average) the ratio is as such.

Games made by Valve/Blizzard + viral games which have evolved through mods and favorites of stream monsters (DayZ, PUBG, Fortnite etc.), F2P titles that have stellar support and titles which have a PC centric legacy (like Battlefield, SIMS, Football manager etc) will always have a sustainable playerbase/DAU/MAU count on PC. The rest of the existing and upcoming "PAID" titles suffer the same fate they have in the past - die within days, if not, weeks within launch, when they thrive on console. It's been happening for decades. It's nothing new.

This new practice of crossplay this past generation, has all these entitled PC brats, demanding consoles be open to crossplay with them and send death threats to console manufacturers if they don't. The console manufacturers are merely helping your platform, out of pity of your platform dying. They don't owe you shit. Their platform. THEIR RULES. You don't get to make demands to people to help you. You "ask", nicely. They deny, for ANY reason.

Your (PC player) voice is IRRELEVANT to console players or the manufacturer. In fact, PC crossplay brings in significant disadvantages (apart from the IRREFUTABLE HARDWARE ADVANTAGES that PC has over consoles, even the new consoles, that makes them laughable as platforms) and one of the main ones is aggressive aim assist/bullet magnetism. Take titles like CoD, from 2019's MW (and Warzone) and the skill ceiling of the already low console version (due to the limits of the turn speed of a controller analog stick and it's deadzones) of CoD's are even lowered by these techniques, all to please a handful of special snowflakes on PC who don't have players to play with, and so that these devs could attract those handful of PC players and monetize them.

ResetEra is a primarily a privileged, ELITIST PC Gaming forum, who happen to have consoles as their secondary platform or leftover boxes used for exclusives. If you voice your opinions here as a primarily console only player, you will be insulted with lies, your skill in videogames and disingenuous trash that you haven't said, implied or be flooded with social media shenanigans, like they usually do. Be prepared for death threats for starting this thread, as you should, from these "gAmErZ rIzE uP!!!" kind.

Crossplay SHOULD ALWAYS BE ONLY BETWEEN CONSOLES, period. PC crossplay with consoles, should not even exist, IN ANY GENRE, (particularly fighting games and shooters, going forward into this generation) if it does, it should ALWAYS BE OPT-IN. I cannot even imagine what would happen in the age of HFR fighting games where their game logic runs at 120FPS. Though I don't believe (or I'm not sure) that Samurai Shodown's recent update for the XSX and PC (EGS) runs it's logic at 120FPS, the trend for future FG's is inevitable. Majors will start having 120FPS as "tournament settings".

And like clockwork, the PC warriors flood the thread with disingenuous bad faith arguments in the lines of "oH nOeZ b-B-b-BuT wHaT bOuT mUh fReNz tHo!!!" to hide the real reason why they WANT crossplay - USUAL LOW SALES = USUAL LOW ACTIVE PLAYERBASE. All of a sudden console players are now "friends". How convenient. Ask your playerbase to BUY THE GAME in the millions like console players (not in the hundreds), instead of crossplay begging in a console thread, dear trolls.

By default, Console Crossplay should be forced, no arguments there from the OP and PC should not even be considered. Give them an inch, they take a mile. No need for ANY explanation. They don't own the console platform, nor do the developers/publishers.

Devs take console manufacturers for granted and do it because they have forums like ERA and 4CHAN on their side to push the PC crossplay propaganda, or they will cause another Fortnite situation where SONY's stocks dropped following media uproar on SONY blocking Cross-progression and Crossplay (CITATION NEEDED ON WHETHER THIS WAS THE DIRECT REASON FOR THE DROP), so they (devs/pubs) think they can continue this forced PC crossplay cancer, down the throats of console consumers without any backlash because most console players don't even use forums/message boards or most forms of social media, to pretend that they took their opinions in.

They (the devs) know for a fact that, if they leave crossplay on, the vast majority of the console players (IN ALL GAMES ACROSS ALL GENRE) won't turn it off or even go into the settings for starters. It's precisely the reason, all these PC trolls are wanting forced PC crossplay by default or "opt-out crossplay" while they throw their bad faith "iTz aN oPtIoN bRo!!!" arguments. Having console-only crossplay by default, and PC as "opt-in" is an "OPTION" too.

The developers want to use the console playerpool as guinea pigs to serve their ambitions (player engagement = monetization opportunities) on expanding the PC base, as they're guaranteed that their game won't die on PC if they crossplay with consoles. They will lie to your face like it's tuesday, on how all the versions are "equal".

SONY/MSFT/NTDO should force the 3RD party developers to crossplay ONLY BETWEEN CONSOLES, period. Don't ever consider PC. This is the ONLY solution. Console maker's priority SHOULD ALWAYS be on their own console playerbase, especially in 3RD party games. The console manufacturers get ZERO REVENUE from 3RD party titles sold on PC, and even if they do in some miraculous circumstance such as the Xbox Play Anywhere initiative, it's not the Xbox Console Player's problem. If the PC population dies, like they usually do, they die. It's THEIR problem. Not console's.

CONSOLE-ONLY CROSSPLAY is the ONLY future of crossplay, whether PC gamers like it or they don't. It's not their call. It's call of the rightful owner of the console who spent their hard earned money on their boxes and pays a yearly sub fee to play exclusively with other console players, or the console manufacturer, who gets 3RD party royalty from the pubs who publish their software on their platform, that get to make the final decision.

PC players are merely spectators in the issue of crossplay. Your opinions are INVALID for console hardware and console manufacturer's 3RD party royalty income, your spent $0 on. Check your feelings, take the L and jog on.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Are arcade sticks significantly more accurate than controllers or fight pads? Controllers are the standard input for the system, and there are already custom controllers with paddles and extra triggers. Why is playing competitive on a fairly level playing field with controllers strange? Playing with aim assist disabled should also be viable.

The fact the boost in performance when using mk+b is bigger should be even more reason for players to use it. If there's already custom controllers with an advantage even without mk+b, balance in competitive console games never mattered, for starters?

You can have both. Enjoy competitively games on a very even field comfy as possible. With pc console crossplay you kinda lose it.

What I think is funny in this discussion that console first peeps dont like playing with pc peeps and it's mostly pc only peeps who see the benefits. Who would have thought.

If opt out or forced is the way going forward then I think alot of ppl will stop online games altogether. And it's really funny that alot of ppl don't crasp that. As long as they get a bigger base.m they don't care If the most ppl suffer because of it.

I mean, if we're talking about a competitive game, and one crowd uses the superior controlling method to have an advantage, the solution is to segregate them instead of offering the superior control to the another crowd?

I think it's weird mainly because in consoles you have gamers that want to be hardcore enough to play competitively, but are just too casual to actually care for performance or playing with the "big players".

It's not just a bigger base, any competitive scenario is better with a base that just plays the game better. It's okay if you want to play online just for fun, i don't play competitively myself. But it's bizarre how someone would take a competition so seriously, playing ranked mode and stuff, but holy hell actually learning to play with the method that offers the better performance.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The fact the boost in performance when using mk+b is bigger should be even more reason for players to use it. If there's already custom controllers with an advantage even without mk+b, balance in competitive console games never mattered, for starters?

I mean, if we're talking about a competitive game, and one crowd uses the superior controlling method to have an advantage, the solution is to segregate them instead of offering the superior control to the another crowd?

I think it's weird mainly because in consoles you have gamers that want to be hardcore enough to play competitively, but are just too casual to actually care for performance or playing with the "big players".

It's not just a bigger base, any competitive scenario is better with a base that just plays the game better. It's okay if you want to play online just for fun, i don't play competitively myself. But it's bizarre how someone would take a competition so seriously, playing ranked mode and stuff, but holy hell actually learning to play with the method that offers the better performance.
I don't think this is a fair point. Lets look at snooker and golf. Both games where the point is, basically to put the ball in the hole. Are snooker players too casual for using a wooden stick over the mighty golf overlords that use their metal clubs?

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020

You shouldn't have to invest in a 3rd party controller to compete in a game. Paddles and elite controllers do not offer a significant advantage, they are more comfortable but do not prohibitively outclass a normal controller.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't think this is a fair point. Lets look at snooker and golf. Both games where the point is, basically to put the ball in the hole. Are snooker players too casual for using a wooden stick over the mighty golf overlords that use their metal clubs?

Snooker and Golf aren't even remotely the same game. The better analogy would be playing football with a ball versus playing with a tin can.

You shouldn't have to invest in a 3rd party controller to compete in a game. Paddles and elite controllers do not offer a significant advantage, they are more comfortable but do not prohibitively outclass a normal controller.

Tbh i don't understand where the console crowd separates the people that plays competitively versus people playing just for fun. But i think it's fairly normal to anyone engaged in any competition to invest in more than the entry level stuff. It's definitely not just having a keyboard and a mouse on pc, atleast.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
You should be able to choose to matchmake just with console players. Right now if you opt out of cross play you can't play with console players from the other platform right? It's bullshit.

The choice should always be playing only with console users and allowing PC players. There is no reason anymore to separate PS and Xbox players.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

So is everyone who play competitive on pc have 100 Bucks keyboards and 100 Bucks mice because they are better for competitive play?

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
You should be able to choose to matchmake just with console players. Right now if you opt out of cross play you can't play with console players from the other platform right? It's bullshit.

The choice should always be playing only with console users and allowing PC players. There is no reason anymore to separate PS and Xbox players.

Apex Legends already found the solution. Crossplay is only across consoles but if you want to play with your PC friend, you can play in a PC lobby. I'm sure there's some outlier, but from what I've seen the entire community is happy with it.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, of course this is about Destiny.

Literally everything, even down to something simple as team chat, is opt-in in Destiny. I don't see why anyone would assume that crossplay will be forced on. The safest assumption is that it will be opt-in.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Damn son, this post was worth logging back in

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Always with giving people as many options as possible, but the default should always be the most inclusive set of options. Have no experience with this in FPS games, but I despise Wifi in fighting games, yet still think Wifi users shouldn't be filtered out by default, that would just hurt the overall player base.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I stay away from all games that force PC play on Switch/PS5. Give me an option to opt-out because im not playing against someone who has A. A clear advantage and B. Potential aimbot/wallhackers.

Thankfully on xbox you can disable all cross system play in xbox's internal settings

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, my friends are spread out acros all ecosystems, literally. Crossplay is the future, opt-out is enough for those who don't want it. It must become more widespread if anything. I love it.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, my friends are spread out acros all ecosystems, literally. Crossplay is the future, opt-out is enough for those who don't want it. It must become more widespread if anything. I love it.

Playing with friends and opt in works too you know and op wants you to play with your friends on any given platform.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
I'm sorry but I don't wanna deal with hackers and M&K players. It's so messed up coming up against PC players in fortnite where they build a damn mansion before I can build a ramp

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm sorry but I don't wanna deal with hackers and M&K players. It's so messed up coming up against PC players in fortnite where they build a damn mansion before I can build a ramp

This is also not a PC exclusive thing what lmao. People building fucking mansions in seconds happens with controller players and pc players and has been a thing since the game came out.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Always with giving people as many options as possible, but the default should always be the most inclusive set of options. Have no experience with this in FPS games, but I despise Wifi in fighting games, yet still think Wifi users shouldn't be filtered out by default, that would just hurt the overall player base.

Again, fighting games aren't comparable and have already solved the issue you bring up. Tekken 7 and Dead or Alive 6 will let you know before every match if it's a wi fi player. If you don't want to fight them you can just press no, but if you do press yes. It's simultaneously opt in and opt out. The equivalent solution would be when you boot up a shooter, first thing it should ask you is do you want to play with PC players. Select yes or no right there.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
They should match based on input. I guess you can spoof inputs, but the same happens on consoles anyway with Mouse attachments that can't be detected.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Opt-out should be the default, with player hardware settings being a prominent toggle in the matchmaking filters when people are searching for games. You go looking for a ranked match in SF5, this is the first thing you see.

m2Ut27w.png

Plain and simple.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the input, but the framerate and adjustable settings like FoV.

Just ask yourself, why are controller streamers playing on PC over console?

Playing above 60 is a big advantage. Lock them to 60 or console settings in those lobbies and see if they complain.

Competition should be fair.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't it been that way for like a year and a half?
Wait. So most ppl just dont know that they get wrecked by pc gamers. So the whole talking of ppl accept it is bullshit afterall.

I only play once a fortnight (pun intended).

I must say in recent months playing in random teams, I'd notice the builds you'd see around the map would be crazy but I just thought people had got better.

ilgrigios

Nov 5, 2017
As a PC player who mostly enjoys gaming on a controller, I'm glad Halo MCC allow me to join input based lobbies without them being a barren wasteland.

It's not just the input, but the framerate and adjustable settings like FoV.

Just ask yourself, why are controller streamers playing on PC over console?

Playing above 60 is a big advantage. Lock them to 60 or console settings in those lobbies and see if they complain.

Competition should be fair.
I think you're vastly overestimating the kind of hardware the average PC player has. Besides, going by your reasoning there shouldn't be any crossplay between the Switch and PS5/XSX, or between different console generations. Some games might give a significant advantage to players on a Series X compared to a Series S...

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Playing with friends and opt in works too you know and op wants you to play with your friends on any given platform.
Basically, I agree with the below poster for the sake of inclusivity:
Give me a huge player base and a prominent option to opt-out and I'm happy.

That being said, I haven't played sweaty competitive games in many years. Halo Infinite might change this, and I might have to revise my stance haha. But from my experience controller Halo players are more than capable to compete against M+KB.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Opt in has the potential to dramatically reduce the available player pool for a certain group in a way that opting out doesn't.

If you have to opt-in, you're limited to people who have also opted-in while for opting out, you're not limited to people who have also opted out as you can still play with people on the same platform if there aren't also other platform players in an instance.

I think the most inclusive option should be default so opt-out all the way.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
SBMM means that getting matched against M+KB users isn't really that big a deal.

I play Cold War on PS5 and I don't mind getting matched against PC players because they're of my skill level, so they're not going to be 360 headshot aiming gods. It's maybe more of an issue if you're a very highly skilled console player and you're getting matched against highly skilled PC players, but at that point the pool of console players at your skill level would be so small anyway that you're better off expanding your playerbase and getting matches with PC players.

LuckyHit

Oct 27, 2017
If dealing with a cheater once a week means I get to play with my friends who play on different systems, then I can live with that. I really enjoy being able to play with people across different consoles, PC included. That's just my opinion, though.

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
As a PC player who mostly enjoys gaming on a controller, I'm glad Halo MCC allow me to join input based lobbies without them being a barren wasteland.

I think you're vastly overestimating the kind of hardware the average PC player has. Besides, going by your reasoning there shouldn't be any crossplay between the Switch and PS5/XSX, or between different console generations. Some games might give a significant advantage to players on a Series X compared to a Series S...

I feel bad for switch players in cross lobbies. It's not fair for them. Try playing fortnite on ps4 with a switch friend. You can clearly tell who is playing on switch. It's easy pickings.

You're also vastly underestimating the advantage PC players have.

When you are a little decent at these games you will be matched up with better players. All you can ask for is an even playing field.

Last edited:

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Apex Legends already found the solution. Crossplay is only across consoles but if you want to play with your PC friend, you can play in a PC lobby. I'm sure there's some outlier, but from what I've seen the entire community is happy with it.

This right here is the ideal solution.

I guess you can spoof inputs, but the same happens on consoles anyway with Mouse attachments that can't be detected.

On PC, you can do much more than spoof inputs. Not to mention, you actually need to buy those attachments for spoofing to work on consoles, so there is at least some barrier to entry. Also, it currently doesn't work on the new consoles.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
Any game that is free to play should be opt in. These games like Fortnite, warzone and destiny pvp are littered with cheaters in their pvp modes because of the PC player base. The moment Destiny went F2P for crucible it became a cheaters paradise.

When cheaters, can just make a new account for free once their accounts get banned it just makes it so easy to ruin the experience for most people.

Cross play at heart is a great idea, but like anything in life gets ruined by human greed.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
So is everyone who play competitive on pc have 100 Bucks keyboards and 100 Bucks mice because they are better for competitive play?

It's not that simple as a binary cheapest gear ever versus $100 kb+m.

Console players (specially on era) always view pc gaming on the super high end performance side of things, but the truth is that a whole lot of people playing stuff like CS or League of Legends do it on work laptops that sometimes doesn't even safely reaches 60fps on these games, and they will probably play with their terrible kb+m (Which is my case). Now, these games have a really serious competitive community, and we know that people with lower end pcs/keyboard/mouses will be at an obvious disadvantage.

You won't see (Atleast not taken seriously) people whining how unfair these games are for people that only reach 40fps against the top player with 120fps+. At some point it's normal that you should invest in decent gear if you want to progress in the ranks of a competitive game. If devs used the console gamer mentality, they would just force 30fps in the game and all the players would have the "same" chance. This is silly because we're talking about balancing while pc competitive games are known for taking actual competition a lot more seriously, but at the same time doing something like this on pc would be ridiculous.

What you people want to say here is that console competitive gaming is better using the worse tools with the mediocre performance just to not play with the players with better tools and performance. And this makes zero sense in any place that tries to be seriously called competitive.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Opt in has the potential to dramatically reduce the available player pool for a certain group in a way that opting out doesn't.

If you have to opt-in, you're limited to people who have also opted-in while for opting out, you're not limited to people who have also opted out as you can still play with people on the same platform if there aren't also other platform players in an instance.

I think the most inclusive option should be default so opt-out all the way.

Thats not true for some games I know. Opt-out for dead by day Light means you can only play with other ppl who dont want to play against pc players. Follwed by the logic that most ppl ignore settings means crossplay makes your mp games worthless while opting out. But pc only ppl are always the most vocal so as long as they get their will nothing will change.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
People overlook Sony for their lack of proper security on their hardware and has already been jailbroken for years on the Ps4 and it's only a matter of time when it's on the latest FW on the Ps4.

And people always bringing up mouse and keyboard when there's the Cronus Cheat device that gives anti recoil, rapid fire, pseudo wall hack and aim lock and remains undetected on the Xbox and Playstation.

Opt-out should be the default, with player hardware settings being a prominent toggle in the matchmaking filters when people are searching for games. You go looking for a ranked match in SF5, this is the first thing you see.

m2Ut27w.png

Plain and simple.

And I would sit waiting for 30 minutes because I'm in the top .50%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.