• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
in halo mcc on pc the aim assist and bullet magnetism is strong to the point that controller has an advantage over kb+m. back when I played Reach you could shoot people around corners.
So that's the reason why separate playlists by input method are required .. cause they're not the same!

Sometimes one has big advantages over the other.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just plug a m/kb into your console? That is what I do with my Xbox. (I dont have a ps5 so maybe it can't do that?). Are there crossplay games that don't support m/kb on console?

This only seems to be a problem with pvp games. I dont really do those, but I VERY much enjoy the large amount of co op cross play games I play with my friends. Id never want to see this feature go.

But also I feel like in popular pvp titles, the majority of players are just fodder for those who are more skilled, and are defeated pretty regularly by other gamepad players anyway. Does it make that much of a difference if some of those defeats were and the hands of m/kb users?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that occasionally plays fps games online on pc with a controller, OP suggestion would basically destroy my ability to play those games so I obviously strongly disagree.

I do agree games should not match controller and mouse and keyboard players if it's avoidable. If you do cross play, input based matchmaking should be there (except for coop obviously).

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with OP for competitive shooters. Co-op and fighting games, etc... thats fine. But you're basically letting players riding Kawasaki Ninjas enter the Tour de France in games like Battlefield or Destiny's Crucible. Some kind of solution is needed, even if its just strict matchmaking

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Any advantage a controller mod via cronus etc. can deliver on a console is not even close to what an aimbot or wallhack can do on PC.

Except an aimbot and wallhack on PC can be eventually detected and banned while controller mods are undetectable and work on top of aim assist.

There are even M/KB adapters for console that give you m/kb level of aim ON TOP of aim assist.

None of these platforms are some cheat free zone where it's fair play all the time.

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Hard pass. Default to cross-console/pc play with the ability to opt out if you want.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever the skill numbers say, they don't account for what its actually feels like when you play against somebody on a completely different input. I'm all for skill based matchmaking but whatever those number systems generate don't fully encompass what it feels like to play against those different inputs imo.

I dunno. In the end I dont want to lose the ability to play with my friends and I dont want to lose the advantage of cross play having a big userbase. Whatever they have to do to fix that I am fine with.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I don't care about you console players having a harder time. I'd rather be able to find games and play the PC game I got after a month thanks.

Seems super selfish you'd rather have a whole systems multiplayer be dead than suffer the fact someone might be playing a fighting game on better hardware than you and have a more consistent frame rate or connection.

RustedEdge

Aug 17, 2019
So that's the reason why separate playlists by input method are required .. cause they're not the same!

Sometimes one has big advantages over the other.

there's misinformation here; the bullet magnetism is the same amount for both controller and mkb. reach, H2A, and H4 have the strongest amount of aim stickiness for controllers. reach has bloom though, so everyone is equally bad.

Jul 26, 2018
Lol. OP.... have you ever played COD on PC without crossplay? It legit takes longer to find matches and that can make players leave COD.

Crossplay is fine in a casual gamemodes like Warzone and multiplayer. If they want a an actual comp mode, then yes... disabling crossplay can be a good idea.

There's hackers, pros, good and bad PC player. Not every PC player is a hacker or a god.. most wanna play for fun.

There's cheaters, pros, good and bad console players. Yes, console players can cheat by modding their controllers and there's even speculation that COD yuotubers/steamers are doing it too.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'd rather have crossplay be the default, with an option to opt out if you don't want it. I want player bases to be as big as possible. It'd be nice if there was some way to retroactively go back and make crossplay work for older games too, without devs having to go back and manually add support.

t0rment

Oct 27, 2017
Yes please. I refuse to buy any games that have forced crossplay with pc, if that means that I won't be playing mp games anymore I'm fine with it.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I'm for it being on by default with a visible indicator that it is on . Warzone tells you on the PS5 that it is on when you first turn on the game but it isn't very visible though

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah. I don't care about you console players having a harder time. I'd rather be able to find games and play the PC game I got after a month thanks.

Seems super selfish you'd rather have a whole systems multiplayer be dead than suffer the fact someone might be playing a fighting game on better hardware than you and have a more consistent frame rate or connection.

The first and the second paragraph is such a double standard. Fuck consoles players as long as you have fun.

Maybe they should Balance their games that if you log in through a pc client you have lower stats/dmg than someone on a console client.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Multiplayer communities are like ice. The more you fragment it the faster it melts/dissappears.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
I agree OP, I don't want to play against PC players on competitive shooters. Anything else sure, maybe.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
OP is correct. What the hell is up with you who are against options? Why would I want to play with people using a PC which is much superior in control and resolution?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Would definitely prefer opt-in over opt-out, 99% of players don't give a fuck and just stay on default, which makes opting out have much longer Matchmaking. It's only really a big problem if you have a bad cheater problem like Warzone and Destiny do, but even without that I'd still prefer opt-in than out, especially in high skill games like Fortnite.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I thought gyro aiming was almost as good as m&k? As well if the game has skill based matchmaking after a day or two either you wont be matched with pc gamers or they are so bad you won't know they are.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Except an aimbot and wallhack on PC can be eventually detected and banned while controller mods are undetectable and work on top of aim assist.

There are even M/KB adapters for console that give you m/kb level of aim ON TOP of aim assist.

But controller mods can also be used on PC in the same manner, and aimbot / wallhack can be used on top. The latter two aren't all that easy to detect if used sparingly (which is what most cheaters do). I don't deny that there are hacks on consoles, but I'd still prefer to exclude the more exploitable platform. Either way, I don't mind crossplay being opt-out.

Also, I believe the PS5/Series X currently can't run anti-recoil scripts and spoof kb/mouse input as a controller. I hope it stays that way.

I thought gyro aiming was almost as good as m&k?

Hardly any multiplayer shooter supports it on Playstation, and Xbox controllers don't have the feature. The day both controllers support it, 3rd party devs might start taking gyro aiming seriously.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I thought gyro aiming was almost as good as m&k? As well if the game has skill based matchmaking after a day or two either you wont be matched with pc gamers or they are so bad you won't know they are.
Gyro is barely ever an option, no one is really putting in the effort to get comfortable with it on PlayStation when it's almost never an option in the big shooters.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I do, so please continue doing so, devs!

Bigger online playerbase might save some games.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I care more about being able to play with my brother and more of our friends than winning. The option to pick should satisfy everyone. Also, isn't Destiny mostly coop against AI? I wouldn't care at all in a coop game.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Give console players the options to turn it off. It's really that easy. I want to play with my friends.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't enjoy the thought that I died because the other person had a more accurate control method so I prefer without crossplay. I just stop playing a game if it feels like there's m&kB players everywhere.

Seems to me the middle ground should be a choice that pops up the first time you play online - opt in or opt out

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely shouldn't be mandatory, but I don't think I agree with the "should not be opt-out" opinion.

If opt-out lead to such a small number of player then it mean the bad aspect of cross play wPC really doesn't have much impact on the vast majority of players. When I see how hard they now seem to try to avoid splitting player base ( games mode on rotation rather than always available, new map no longer being paid DLC ), I feel like that's what they should thrive for when it comes to cross-play too. But absolutely keep the option to opt-out so if things are out of control ( cheat, controle imbalance, bad matchmaking / insert other reason ) or simply for people with a very low tolerance for it, then player can naturaly shy away from cross-play and maybe even end up with a majority of player with cross play disabled.

OP
OP
TheRulingRing

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Honestly PC players shouldn't be allowed to comment on this. Of course they would be for it since for them it's literally all the benefits with no downside, have your cake and eat it.

For big games like these the playerbase is more than healthy enough on its own on console. Only PC players are the ones needing handouts to sustain their playerbase.

In my opinion a more accurate statement would be that it benefits everyone except a small minority of hardcore console players. I get why some people don't like it and I sympathize but the fact that opt-out causes matchmaking issues to those who do select it seems to prove that most people either want it or at the very least are fine with it.

How does forced crossplay benefit the majority of console players exactly? Games like CoD and the ones listed in the OP have tonnes and tonnes of players on console, you'll never struggle to matchmake. I'm also not against console-console crossplay, just PC.

And the reason people won't opt-out is because the opt-out option will be buried somewhere deep within the menus and they won't know about it. If you gave them the option right in the splash screen to turn off PC crossplay many console players would be ticking it.

OP, take this L and move on

Crossplay = healthier player base

Hell nah, this is a hill I'm willing to die on. My console playerbase is more than healthy enough on its own, thanks.

sounds like opt out is the solution. youre still playing with 90% of the playerbase

Huh, how would it be 90%? Most people won't opt out because a) they won't know about it and b) as I said above the option will be hidden deep within some menu.

Hell no OP.

I want to be able to play with my friends on Xbox. It is already hard enough as it is.

That's why I said in my OP that opt-in is the solution.

We don't even know what destiny's is going to look like yet.

Well we can guarantee with Bungie behind the wheels that it's going to be a shitshow. Look at their recent response on reddit to crossplay, it sounded like they hadn't even considered opt-out!

Strongly, strongly disagree with this.

Being able to play with my friends no matter what device we all decided to buy is a huge plus and we literally buy and play games based on crossplay support.

Do I have to update my OP and put this line at the top so people read it? I already said that you should be able to opt-in if you want to play with your friends on PC.

That's how Fortnite did it initially and everyone was happy.

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
definitely opt in. Being matched up with hackers sucks. For a game like cod that was primarily a console game I don't understand why there is crossplay with pc. It only benefits pc players console player pool is big enough without crossplay. I like how apex legends handles it that if there is a pc player in the party then you get matched up in a pc lobby.

OP
OP
TheRulingRing

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
definitely opt in. Being matched up with hackers sucks. For a game like cod that was primarily a console game I don't understand why there is crossplay with pc. It only benefits pc players console player pool is big enough without crossplay. I like how apex legends handles it that if there is a pc player in the party then you get matched up in a pc lobby.

Yes this is perfect and how it should be done.

For big AAA games there is zero issue with playerbase on console. Opt-in is fine in these cases.

For much smaller games I can maybe understand the forced crossplay opinion.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
When I load up Multiplayer Mode in whatever, it should just immediately ask "Opt in/out of Crossplay?" and I shouldn't be able to start the mode until I answer. Problem solved. People are acting like if you made it opt in that there's literally no way to ever let people know they can do it and it's just ridiculous.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
And one final thing - opt-out is NOT a solution. If crossplay is on as default and you opt out then you're playing with a decimated playerbase number, since most people probably won't even know you can turn it off.

I don't know much about crossplay since I don't play MP in most games, but can't they make it so you can opt out but then still play with people who have crossplay on for whatever platform they're on? I guess that wouldn't work if you're trying to get like 16 people, but it would work for stuff with 2-4 players.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Completely agree with the OP. It's such an unfair advantage to play against mouse and keyboard users. I know you can use M&K on consoles too of course, but I wish they had options to play against only controller users in these games.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Edit - You will still still be able to play with your friends with opt-in.

CoD, Destiny, Fortnite, now Battlefield. Many of these games I'm interested in are forcing PC crossplay on us console peasants when we never asked for it.

I'm happy to play with Xbox/PS users together, but PC is an entirely different ballgame.

MnK has an advantage and can do things controller users can't dream of (no, aim assist doesn't make up for this at all). In Battlefield MnK users have a massive advantage when aiming with vehicles - turrets can turn in a flash with mouse and there's no aim assist in vehicles on a controller. In Destiny the mobility means MnK has an advantage there too. In Fortnite the building gives MnK users another big advantage. CoD is probably the closest to "balance".

And then we come to hackers/cheaters. They may or may not be rampant on PC, but even coming across 1 a week is enough to sour anyone's experience. In Destiny in particular hackers run absolutely riot in high end PvP and will absolutely ruin the console experience when crossplay comes in. (In the past year of console play I've come across maybe one team I've suspected of hacking, and even that wasn't blatant)

Also (less of an issue), PC players can tweak visual settings to give themselves an extra advantage, whether that be in high framerate or turning down visual effects to get a better view of enemies.

And one final thing - opt-out is NOT a solution. If crossplay is on as default and you opt out then you're playing with a decimated playerbase number, since most people probably won't even know you can turn it off.

The only acceptable solution is how Fortnite initially did it - opt-in. If you party up with PC players then you go into PC lobbies. That's fine and entirely optionally allows you to play with friends on PC.
It keeps the player base full casual people will not know to turn these options on I say leave it on.

OP
OP
TheRulingRing

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
Online console players have to pay for a paywall to play many multiplayer games (not F2P now), and this is mainly a gatekeeping mechanism to dissuade not abiding by rules of the service
This is hilarious. No, it's to bring the console manufacturer an additional revenue stream. If they wanted to gatekeep they could just ban your console on an individual hardware basis. The vast majority of people could never afford to buy a brand new console just to cheat or harass people. The idea that consoles ever charged you money to foster some quality of service is just childish. Free online services like PSN used to be, Nintendo used to be, and all PC services are not markedly different online experiences. I play on Xbox and PC and I get the same experiences of sexism, racism, and general toxicity. One just doesn't try to charge me money for the privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.