• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Mnk advantage is severely overestimated because it's assuming that everyone that plays on PC is a god for some reason.

There are quite a few fortnite pro's that use controllers

This is my larger thought. I see it some people that I play with. 'Fucking PC players' is a bogeyman for 'I just got beat'.

My takeaway is usually that if this is an issue to the point that you're consistently losing/getting beat then the problem is probably deeper than just the input device. Maybe the skill based matchmaking is failing you.

Mouse vs controller seems like such a minor thing compared to other factors out of your controller like differing input lags of displays, random elements in the actual match (weapons picked up, knowledge of maps etc) and, yes, just good old ability.

Getting rid of crossplay - because you're not doing as well as you'd like in your electronic toy - feels like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is it forced? I was under the assumption that alot of these games require the console player to opt into crossplay with PC players whether that be in the options, or by having a friend partied up with you on PC. I know the option was defaulted on in a few games, but I always made sure to turn it off when I was playing on consoles...that being said it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if some of these games just combine the queues once the players start to dwindle, while claiming console players have to opt in. I know some games on PC have like protections in place preventing you from swapping from a controller to a mouse and keyboard mid match. Like if you queue as a controller player with a controller plugged in etc. And unplug mid match it won't suddenly let you use m&k. It just says to reconnect you controller..so I do think this is an issue devs. are aware of and are trying to address. I'm sure the solutions arnt perfect yet, buy with crossplay being relatively new, in the next 5 years when it becomes common for alot of multiplayer games, the solutions will likely become far better with more time and development.

Matic

Oct 25, 2017
100% agree with you OP, don't force us into cross play make it if you party up with PC player then throw that group into cross play matchmaking.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I think crossplay should be on by default, but I think it is sensible have preference options based on control settings, meaning preference people playing with gamepads to match with other gamepad users.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Many games (like Call of Duty) do cross play based on input. So anyone using m+kb is lumped together, and controller folks are lumped together. I use it to play with other controller folks on PC, so I don't get demolished by the m+kb folk.

You still run into both input types but it seems like it rates your skill based on input choice rather than one universal rating? I run into way more controller players on Modern Warfare when I'm using controller, but I still see some M&KB people pop up (who usually seem much worse than the ones I see when I matchmake with M&KB myself).

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Why? It's facts.

The only people forced/default crossplay benefits is PC players (at the expense of console players).

In my opinion a more accurate statement would be that it benefits everyone except a small minority of hardcore console players. I get why some people don't like it and I sympathize but the fact that opt-out causes matchmaking issues to those who do select it seems to prove that most people either want it or at the very least are fine with it.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Wow OP really tried to downplay Aim Assistance with controllers, which many more people complain about...crossplay has shown no noticeable difference in the percentage of wins per games played. Also, One X and Series X/PS4 Pro and PS5 can play these games with higher framerates than the "regular" PS4 and XB1...should they be excluded as well? What about people with Elite controllers and the like?

And "one" hacker a week is ruining your experience...really? If you proclaim to be a casual fan of these games then what is the problem?

Mnk advantage is severely overestimated because it's assuming that everyone that plays on PC is a god for some reason.

There are quite a few fortnite pro's that use controllers too
Stop making sense!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Don't listen to this man. Fortnite and Rogue Company with my friends has been very great during this pandemic. I want to play with them.

Excluding PC users with KnM may make more sense but even then with skill based match making this should even out a lot. I suck at shooters and get dominated every match but just being able to play with friends makes it way more fun.

Kashibaba

Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree with OP, keep crossplay forced/default, but they can add a competitive online mode without crossplay.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. I read that gyro was the superior shooter controller scheme. Why are console players intimidated by MnK. Just use gyro.

Wavves

Oct 27, 2017
I love it as long as we have a choice, we also need more devs to get on board with cross saving like Destiny 2 and AC Valhallla, Its so good to go back and forth from PC to my PS5

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Aim assist IS powerful and has made controller an advantage in quite a few games. Let's talk about Halo MCC for one, a game made with controller. I get fucking wrecked if I play on mouse, when I was half decent on controller back when I actually played Halo on a console, to the point where I just don't play it anymore (and input-based matchmaking came way too late to bring my interest back). People were complaining about aim assist being so insanely powerful because at range and the smaller a target gets, mouse increasingly becomes a disadvantage. We're not all gods just because we picked up a mouse.

There's more controller players doing just fine than you think.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
Crossplay benefits everyone especially a battle royale game where you need to find ~ 100 players at the start of the game, when you turn crossplay off in Warzone or Fortnite you see a huge difference in the time searching for a game, for the minority that want it off sure give them the option to opt out

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
totally agree. Look at fall guys. Can you imagine that with cross-play when cheating was fucking rampant?

PC has a ton of cheaters and stuff like that plus the mnk advantage. Give me console players only please

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Don't listen to this man. Fortnite and Rogue Company with my friends has been very great during this pandemic. I want to play with them.

Excluding PC users with KnM may make more sense but even then with skill based match making this should even out a lot. I suck at shooters and get dominated every match but just being able to play with friends makes it way more fun.
And nothing about what the op said would change the situation you just described. When you mix party inputs, it would still function exactly the same way.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Agree, no idea why people are so against the idea of opt-in tbh.

No one wants to destroy crossplay.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Console mouse adaptors are more popular than ever anyways
Even if you didn't face PC players no more on crossplay guarantee you will face some mouse adaptor users
People underestimate how much of these are used on console so easily accessible since ages ago and can fine tune the aim even aim assist and much more it's crazy while using Mouse and or keyboard
Even i had one and was destroying but i don't play FPS games on console anymore so gave it to a friend

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I do. just add an option for those that don't want it to opt-out. simple. and yes, I saw your note on opt out. I don't agree

Agreed. As long as there's an option, I personally couldn't care less if it's opt in or opt out for things like this. I always review all the options in games before starting anyway to make sure I have things set to my liking.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
All things being equal, I'm for crossplay. That isn't the case though. Having the option for it, and default to no is the right way to go. Keeps everyone happy that way.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It should be off by default yes. It should be on on default between xbox ps and switch. Forced crossplay sucks.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Crossplay is something that should be supported for sure but an opt-out for those that want it is NOT a bad thing.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
PC MP typically die for certain games so I hope this isn't a thing in the future. The cheating/hacking isn't as widespread as you guys assume.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Somewhat related to this thread, I wish there was an option to only play against console users when using a controller on PC. I like gaming on the couch with a controller these days, but playing any FPS is pretty much pointless.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Hell no OP.

I want to be able to play with my friends on Xbox. It is already hard enough as it is.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat related to this thread, I wish there was an option to only play against console users when using a controller on PC. I like gaming on the couch with a controller these days, but playing any FPS is pretty much pointless.
Cross-input default would fix that which personally I'm fine with as opposed to the OP. There are certain advantages of a PC but I think they aren't as a big a deal so cross input default is cool with me.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It should be off by default yes. It should be on on default between xbox ps and switch. Forced crossplay sucks.
The whole point of crossplay is to increase the player pool without spliting it.

Split in game with no crossplay:
- PC player pool
- PS player pool
- Xbox player pool
- Switch player pool

Split in game with forced crossplay:
- Universal player pool (no split)

Split if the game lets you opt out:
- Universal player pool
- PC-only player pool
- PS-only player pool
- Xbox-only player pool
- Switch-only player pool

Split if the game lets you choose between full crossplay, console crossplay or no crossplay:
- Universal player pool
- Console-only player pool (console-only crossplay)
- PC-only player pool
- PS-only player pool
- Xbox-only player pool

More crossplay options = more splitting of the playerbase, negating the point of crossplay.

Forced crossplay is good. They just need to make it so the game TRIES to match people with the same input, and only resort to mixing inputs as the last resort if there aren't enough players.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PC MP typically die for certain games so I hope this isn't a thing in the future. The cheating/hacking isn't as widespread as you guys assume.

Having more graphic options and mnk generally better for shooters is no problem right. Having crossplay is good but dont make it the default option. I skip any pvp game with forced crossplay.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, Apex only matches you with PC players when you're playing with a PC teammate on your party. It's all Xbox + PSN otherwise.

Only way I can see this being wrong is Destiny for the PVP, but since I'm a PVE player I'd be most glad to help people out in anything but raids, no matter their platform, so the pros outweigh the cons.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Just leave it as Opt-out. If you don't want it, fine.

If you make it opt-in it would ruin the player base for the average person who isn't bothered by it all.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
do people even read the OP or even the thread title?

Yeah I've responded to a few of these people so I don't think people do or quite understand what some terms mean. I mean you can disagree with the OP. That is fine. But he is not saying PC and console players should NEVER be able to play with each other. He is saying that it should not default to that setup. (Once again you can disagree with that)

Nobody is saying that crossplay shouldn't ever exist so that PC and gamepad players can't play with each other.

They should always be able to play with each other if they want. Once you mix inputs then you are thrown into the mouse and keyboard lobbies to play.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know, Apex only matches you with PC players when you're playing with a PC teammate on your party. It's all Xbox + PSN otherwise.

I think this correct and I think its the most fair implementation of crossplay. I also think PC gamepad players should be able to default be in that pool of players but I'm not sure if that's how it works in APEX.

There are some other games that are less aim intensive that I don't mind crossplay on either but I do not want to play apex against mouse and keyboard players. It's why I game on a console in the first place.

Oct 27, 2017
Wholeheartedly agree. Cross play between consoles is absolutely fine but PC should be excluded (or at the very least opt-in).

Input advantages aside there's just far too many cheaters.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The whole point of crossplay is to increase the player pool without spliting it.

Split in game with no crossplay:
- PC player pool
- PS player pool
- Xbox player pool
- Switch player pool

Split in game with forced crossplay:
- Universal player pool (no split)

Split if the game lets you opt out:
- Universal player pool
- PC-only player pool
- PS-only player pool
- Xbox-only player pool

Split if the game lets you choose between full crossplay, console crossplay or no crossplay:
- Universal player pool
- Console-only player pool (console-only crossplay)
- PC-only player pool
- PS-only player pool
- Xbox-only player pool

More crossplay options = more splitting of the playerbase, negating the point of crossplay.

Forced crossplay is good. They just need to make it so the game TRIES to match people with the same input, and only resort to mixing inputs as the last resort if there aren't enough players.

So it's worth having a good enough playerbase on the expense of other ppl fun. It's not "only" about input. Do you only play on pc aint you?

Status
Not open for further replies.