• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
deb.png

If you want to find some toilet paper there is a bunch hidden by the apple tree in the clearing behind town.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
"When faced with an uncertain situation, people feel better if they can eliminate one risk," Dr. Jay Zagorsky, a senior lecturer with BU's Questrom School of Business, said in an email to Boston.com. "Bulk buying toilet paper eliminates the small risk of running out if quarantined. People might not be able to eliminate the risk of catching coronavirus but they can eliminate the risk of running out of toilet paper, which makes most people feel they have some control in this very uncertain situation."

Psychologists spoke to CNBC to weigh in on why our brains push us to panic buy — even when authorities are assuring the public there's no need to.

According to Paul Marsden, a consumer psychologist at the University of the Arts London, the short answer can be found in the psychology of "retail therapy" — where we buy to manage our emotional state.

"It's about 'taking back control' in a world where you feel out of control," he said. "More generally, panic buying can be understood as playing to our three fundamental psychology needs."

its simple psychology. stop calling people stupid for trying to make themselves feel better or more safe.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Sweden right now. Dammit!

It is going to be super awkward tomorrow when I go to buy toilet paper because I actually have only 1 roll left. :D

jDY9gG3.png

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I went to Wegmans last night and they still had a few packs but they were definitely on the verge of "cleared out". However the baby wet wipe aisle was completely stocked for the most part, I found that a little odd. Do people really prefer super cheap toilet paper(like single ply) over a wipe that it's main flaw is it can't be flushed?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
its simple psychology. stop calling people stupid for trying to make themselves feel better or more safe.

I think we generally understand why people make these bulk purchases during a panic. It's just hard to understand why toilet paper as become the most coveted item.

Why is it TP that makes people feel better or safe

There are many other items that will be consumed more quickly and need more urgent replacement, yet people are filling multiple carts with TP and nothing else. It's bizarre.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we generally understand why people make these bulk purchases during a panic. It's just hard to understand why toilet paper as become the most coveted item.

There are many other items that will be consumed more quickly and need more urgent replacement, yet people are filling multiple carts with TP and nothing else. It's bizarre.
Have you ever run out of toilet paper? It suuuuuucks.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio

Yeah, but people will tend to buy what they see other's buying. It starts small but grows rapidly in panic situations. If people were buying bulk twinkies that's what we'd be talking about.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Social media was not as big back then.
It was also definitely not people's primary source of information like it definitely is for a lot now. People would sooner take it at face(book) value then Google for less then a minute to check its validity. Someone today at my work was saying they had a case in our area and a few minutes of googling came up with no results including checking the CDC map myself.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever run out of toilet paper? It suuuuuucks.

I have, but it generally takes a really long time top use up all the tp in a package.

Yeah, but people will tend to buy what they see other's buying. It starts small but grows rapidly in panic situations. If people were buying bulk twinkies that's what we'd be talking about.

This is my take as well. You see someone grab a lot, then you feel like if you don't also grab a lot, you'll never get a chance ever again. It's just bizarre to see people rolling out with enough TP to supply a family of 4 for a year, but no nonperishable foods.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Explaining the behavior doesn't make it any more acceptable when you are putting others at risk, especially when you can learn that's it's nothing but an emotional crutch.

Last edited:

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Why are the hand people so mad at the bidet people and vice versa? Like, why do you care how the other wipes their ass when they run out of TP?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Explaining the behavior doesn't make it any more acceptable when you are putting others at risk, especially when you can learn that's it nothing but an emotional crutch.
It's kinda hard to think rationally when panic sets in unfortunately. Most people aren't equipped to deal with this sort of situation and I can't blame them over our governing body.

*Edit: I want to, but I can't. Of course it make me angry and I want to shout at them for being mindless simpletons but that's not where the fault lies in my opinon.

Deleted member 37303

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Forget buying toilet paper. My girlfriend and I just bought 2 new guns that way if it things actually do turn ugly we can just take someone else's toilet paper. 😉

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
One thing the stores should definitely be doing too is putting limits on how many people can buy. I see it all the time for like baby formula; "limit 6 per customer". They should be doing it for a lot of this stuff now so that everybody can get a fair shake and the crazy people buying way too much, can't.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My SIL who is a nurse said to stock up on muscinex/cough medicine. Says they will help for mild case of corona virus, because you don't want anything to do with the hospital.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't use soap and water, you are disgusting walking around with poopy Ass.

you should squat in front of shower faucet and clean down there if you don't have a bidet. Or better yet a pail and a bucket.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
There was a rumor/hoax that toilet paper is made of the same material as face masks in Japan. That led to a lot of overpurchasing, though I'm not sure what the plan was. Are people trying to make masks out of toilet paper?

The US seems a month behind Japan in terms of Corona panic.

Oct 27, 2017
The only disinfectant in stock at my local grocery store today was toilet bowl cleaner.. People freaking out over cleaning their assholes but don't bother thinking about how they are going to clean the actual toilet.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda hard to think rationally when panic sets in unfortunately. Most people aren't equipped to deal with this sort of situation and I can't blame them over our governing body.

*Edit: I want to, but I can't. Of course it make me angry and I want to shout at them for being mindless simpletons but that's not where the fault lies in my opinon.

Well here is the bottom line then, they either learn or they make things worse. If they make things worse then calling them irrational or silly is the least of the problems we are facing.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It's almost funny. The most valuable thing in the apocalypse isn't food or water. It's fucking toilet paper.

I really don't understand what the people buying it like crazy are thinking.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Well here is the bottom line then, they either learn or they make things worse. If they make things worse then calling them irrational or silly is the least of the problems we are facing.
and that's all I'm saying. Call them silly and irrational and educate them. They're a product of poor leadership and poor education. It's not a dog eat dog world just yet.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
My local Kroger was wiped clean (heheh) of toilet paper... except for the cheap, single-ply store brand that I always buy lol.

I guess even in an emergency people still insist on luxury toilet paper for their delicate b-holes.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I grabbed a pack early in the week thinking everybody would eventually overstock on TP. Just give it a few days, and the grocery stores lagging inventory will adjust and catch up.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
TP running out is annoying, but people taking all the baby wipes and diapers is bullshit.

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have ulcerative colitis and have... similar issues. I promise you, 100%, this will make your life better:

1. Get a plastic bottle.
2. Fill it with water and keep it next to your loo.
3. After you poop, wash your bum with your hand and your bottle of water.
4. Use a small amount of loo roll to dry.
5. Thank me later.

what the hell does your hand smell like 😬

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are just afraid of having themselves and their family quarantined and unable to properly wipe their ass because they can't leave the house an acquire more. As well as mitigating leaving the house as much as necessary and being susceptible to infection. That's it.

But why toilet paper?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Just came back from 3 stores in North Phoenix. Not a single roll to be found. Two walmarts and one frys. Also couldn't find romen noodles. Hell most things were picked over like a going out of business sale. They just closed all the schools. I guess the panic shopping has begun

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
What those fools don't understand is that wet wipes are the superior wipe for a butt. People will soon learn though.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my local spot had like a few packages left but was almost cleared out. I thought about grabbing one but I probably have a couple weeks worth so I didn't want to just jump on the stockpile panic train and keep someone who's actually out from getting it. Staff also seemed pretty exhausted, there were multiple lines and this was at 10p, which is pretty unusual for my not-big-city-but-not-rural area.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Eleven rolls left in my house without restocking and my corner store has an ample supply. Come at me, COVID-19!*

*don't come at me, COVID-19

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I have ulcerative colitis and have... similar issues. I promise you, 100%, this will make your life better:

1. Get a plastic bottle.
2. Fill it with water and keep it next to your loo.
3. After you poop, wash your bum with your hand and your bottle of water.
4. Use a small amount of loo roll to dry.
5. Thank me later.
I do similar except I jump in the tub/shower and use a bucket rather than a bottle. Plus soap.