• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I've beat a game and been close enough to the platinum that even though I feel like I'm done with the game, I'll just suck it up and finish the list. Doesn't happen too often though, I have to be enjoying the game. Conversely, if it's a game that I love like Bloodborne, I knew right from the start that I wanted to get the platinum.

On the other side of the coin, I am perfectly fine with Nintendo not bothering with trophies.

It's funny because bloodborne is a game that I played staunch and had an amazing time with but didnt get anywhere near the platinum. Last year I decided to replay it because the digital game was on sale for super cheap and I never played it before. At that point I decided to try to platinum it since I knew what I was getting myself into.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I can understand that. I'm talking about people who hate multiplayer but still play for trophies. Or play games that they don't like just because trophies are easy

Those are different people, though

One is a trophy-hunter and the other really liked one particular game, even if he hated the MP, so wants to have the plat.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
I only do it for games I enjoy. Personally, it's my way of thanking the developer and also maximizing my gain from the game.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I need someone to explain it to me. On twitter I am reading people who played "forced" the multiplayer of TLOU to have the platinum and I can hardly imagine playing something that I do not like just to have a trophy. It also reminds me of people I know who rented games they didn't like but with very simple achievements (like Avatar's) and I really can't understand it.

Please, explain it to me.
You see, people who play games like numbers to go up, especially when in contest with friends. It doesn't have to just be leaderboards or high-score boards.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's not my thing but I'm not pretentious about it. Some of the posts itt are eye roll inducing

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I have legitimately struggled with this for a while. It is absolutely an unhealthy compulsion. I have wasted time finishing games I didn't even enjoy, just so I wouldn't break my streak of consecutive platinums.

First, I want to be clear, it isn't about bragging rights, or a sense of superiority in any way. The problem mostly stems from the fact that renting games is a lot harder than in the days when places like blockbuster existed. Back then I would rent games for a weekend and try to just beat the story campaign before I had to return it, and happily feel like I had saved myself 50 dollars.

Now that I mostly buy games, there is this impulse to 100 percent all the content. Trophy lists are generally a roadmap to all the content a game has to offer, so aiming for the platinum became the goal.

None of this is healthy really. The most normal comparison I can give is that it is like being trained to eat all the food on your plate. You might be full, or not enjoy the food but you still have to clear it or be called wasteful.

I am sorry for the long post, but hopefully it can explain at least one type of trophy compulsion. I am thankfully getting a lot better at just dropping things I don't enjoy.

Nov 1, 2017
Though it doesn't bother me anymore, at some point it was definitely something that I took into consideration. It felt nice to look at the trophies for a game and see a 100%, a full bar, or the shiniest trophy the system would give me. It got to a point where I was avoiding games I might enjoy just because I didn't want to commit the time to get every single trophy.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just part of the game for them. It's not much different than grinding for the best weapons in a rpg or breaking a record in a racing game. It's just another thing.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Compulsions and it being a system wide infection on your profile. Like a game but didn't get all the achievements? Well every time you look through your profile you'll see that 78% or whatever taunt you. It gets to people. It's designed to.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Well first off, multiplayer achievements are the fucking devil and Screw anyone who adds them and then pulls some Sony shit like shutting down the servers. That's trash and the publisher is trash.

Second achievements are fun.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Different people enjoy games in different ways. That's really as far as it goes, it isn't any more complicated than that.

I personally agree with you in that I don't see the point of achievements/trophies at all and see them as a gargantuan waste of time, but that doesn't mean people who chase or focus on them are wrong. It just means we enjoy our games differently.

Banned

Nov 10, 2017
I need someone to explain it to me. On twitter I am reading people who played "forced" the multiplayer of TLOU to have the platinum and I can hardly imagine playing something that I do not like just to have a trophy. It also reminds me of people I know who rented games they didn't like but with very simple achievements (like Avatar's) and I really can't understand it.

well some people just enjoy completing games and if getting all the trophies is a requirement then they'll do it. there's a guy that has a youtube channel focused around completing games (games he likes and dislikes). there's not much to explain, it's just something people like to do.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's called "OCD" or "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder".
It affects people in different ways.

some people have to constantly scrub their floors and walls and ceilings and shelves because "THE GERMS!"

But some people with OCD aren't afflicted with the compulsive need to clean the house...

Instead, they find the compulsion to need to get all the Achievements in a game because "IT'S NOT COMPLETE UNTIL THE ACHIEVEMENTS LIST IS DONE!!!"

It's a sickness... and has robbed me out of playing some games because I know it will be absolutely inhuman of me to ever complete them and I know I will try to, spending countless hours I could be playing just about any other game.

For instance, I steered clear of Gears 4 because I knew it would have been an ordeal to attempt the ridiculous, Grundy, hoop-jumping Gears games require for their achievements (especially in the multiplayer space).

Edit: conversely, if a game has no achievements (like Switch games) I rarely end up finishing even the story of the game... Breath of the Wild is still sitting on my Switch approximately 25% done and... eh.
Maybe I'll play it again?

You read my mind conpletely. Especially the part about Switch and BotW.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only game I pursued the platinum was Nier Automata and they were from easy to a little tedious to get. And only because the final of the game make me emotional.

And then I proceeded to do the right thing and delete my data in the ending E

But in games as Monster Hunter, with bullshit achievements like the one of getting all the crowns of the monster? Yeah fuck that.

I mean you can literally buy your way to a platinum trophy in that game lol.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand achievement hunters. I get people who want to 100% a game they love, but people literally buy and play shit they can't stand just to see their GS go up, it's ridiculous.

I'm the exact opposite, I don't do anything in a game unless I'm enjoying myself, and I don't think I've ever 100% a game because there are always achievements that you can't get through natural progression.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
What people other than you choose to do with the time they have alive, assuming they are not harming anyone, is no concern of yours. That said - I don't particularly see the appeal myself but if they are happy doing it then they can have at it. If they are not I hope they can break out of any self-destructive cycle they are in. All the while it's still no concern of mine.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I only do this for platinums for games I really like, and even then I don't have much tolerance for grinding. I've clocked the Witcher 3 like 6 times and never even looked at the achievement list.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya I've seen this mindset a lot lately for some reason. I know it was big years ago but I see a lot of post on that this week. I thought nobody cared anymore. I had a friend that would play games he hated just for easy achievements. Never cared about them or understand why anyone does.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I totally understand it. I used to do it myself. The metagame is just fun for me - plain and simple.

In my adult years, I go after very few plats/100% runs. Just don't have the time.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It can work both ways. Achievements defifnitely helped me get way more out of a lot of games, trying out different modes/features/higher difficulties etc. If you just plow throuhg the campaign on normal once, I feel you're often missing the forest for the trees, especially in games that have decent mechanical depth.

if they're too much of a slog though it really will just becomes a chore.

To be honest most modern trophy/achievement lists are very reasonable compared to the eartly days. Stacking difficulties, no MP achievements or if exist they're trivial, way fewer insane grinds, better collectible tracking etc.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why TLOU didn't have more singleplayer trophies either but that's the hand we're dealt : ( ( ( (

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
I've seen people using guides for puzzle games and finishing them without actually playing and thinking about the solutions. I really dont understand those people...

I understand trying to get everything in a game you actually like, but i would never play a game I hate for internet points.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017

When your a few trophies short some times you just want to finish it off. I've done it when there's nothing else out I'm interested in playing. Nothing wrong with pushing for a few more inches when your that far along. I typically don't even look at trophies till I have beaten a game at my own leisure and realize I'm less then a handful of trophies from platinum and just go for it.

I will say though ND games are the one company I topically pass on for platinums.

>.> And Killzone, ain't nobody got time for that.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Same as those who play certain games or on certain consoles because of "social pressure" they sometimes create themselves.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand that. I'm talking about people who hate multiplayer but still play for trophies. Or play games that they don't like just because trophies are easy

I will skip games that I'd have otherwise played because they have multiplayer trophies. I don't have time to play everything so it's a great way to thin the herd.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Wanting to interface with and participate in everything a game offers as part of a holistic experience, as evidenced by the focus put on those aspects by the achievements.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can see why people might want to 100% a game they love, but I don't understand it when people complain about how they had to do something that didn't enjoy or found really tedious just to get a trophy/achievement. If it's not fun and you don't like the act of getting it, then why do it?

If you feel you're being forced to do things you don't wanna do just to 100% it, turn off the trophy/achievement notifications and just enjoy the game.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if TLOU is their fav game, and they want it 100% complete, but have to stare at that 95% completion rate due to MP trophies. Forever taunting them.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think people are driven by the checklist mentality of it. In the same way mobile games do it as well with daily/weekly/monthly missions; here's task X and reward Y. Some could debate the "reward" of getting a tiny icon on your system but I think it does work that way for our brains.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
What if TLOU is their fav game, and they want it 100% complete, but have to stare at that 95% completion rate due to MP trophies. Forever taunting them.
TLOU's plat is all like;
1152.jpg

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I used to feel compelled do get all trophies with some games way back, to the point of renting out games that had easy 1000 gamerscore or getting one of those usb adapters for 360 memory cards to trick the system into awarding achievements.

I'm a bit more selective with which games to beat vs 100% by achievement definition vs 100% by game definition. I got Platinum in Spider-Man and God of War, but I haven't done NG+ on the hardest difficulty for the former (that came out after I got it!) and didn't play on the hardest difficulty for the latter.

Somewhat similar, my coworker argued that I didn't 100% Link's Awakening because I didn't do all the chamber dungeon challenges. My argument was that I'm assuming the speedrun definition of 100% won't include doing all chamber dungeons, and that A Link Between Worlds 100% doesn't require all streetpass challenges. Besides, I didn't find the chamber dungeons that fun and only did what I needed for full inventory.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that for certain games, it creates an impetus to do all you can in the game. If you achieve these arbitrarily chosen tasks by the dev team then that means I really have seen all a particular game has to offer.

Playing BotW and experiencing its lack of trophies is NOT a liberating feeling. It feels like I'm missing so much of the game because there's no checklist of all these possible things to achieve and do in the game. Many will miss out on a number of cool things because trophies are omitted but that simultaneously encourages people to have their own unique adventures and sense of discovery. It just depends what you value. For me, it's bane, not a blessing.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's satisfying to get a platinum. It puts a ribbon on the experience and you can set it down and move on not feeling like you left something unfinished.

It's more satisfying to me than completing something in game just for the sake of completing it. I finish Zelda and I look at the heart pieces left to get or the missing bottle or some upgraded sword and I shrug. What's my reward? I'm not going to use any of that stuff now that I've finished the final boss. Even if trophies are entirely psychological, the association allows me to leave a game on a higher more pleasant note than one without trophies.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I did something similar as well - used a guide to get every collectible poster in Mafia 2 just to get the last trophy, since I was almost done anyway and I really liked the game. It was forced, but it felt good nevertheless.

What I really don't understand is why there are folks who are clearly against the idea of Nintendo using trophies. People who don't care about them could just disable them. Everybody would be happy.

Trophies are a great way to have kind of a personal gaming logbook.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Yeah, I can't understand it when people buy those cheap games that cost like 2$ only because they're choke full of easy trophies/achievements, although reading some comments helped me a bit to get a grasp of it, especially what Triblade wrote. (You can find some games on Steam with reviews saying "Easy trophies".)

But one thing's for sure, I'm not that kind of person. I only try to get a platinum when it's a game I really like. Most of the time. After all, I did obtain the platinum for Sonic Forces...

Did I like this game?!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can play how you want on your own time but my friends annoyed the hell out of me duding the 360 days.

Wanting to farm Halo 3 achievements like getting a double with the spartan laser. Begging me to get the mile high club on CoD4. Literally buying avatar the last air bender on the 360 because it was the easiest 1000 ever lol.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I like cheevos because they give me a record of what I played, how I played it and when too. I check my achievements and trophies every month before I post in the "Games you finished in month X" thread for example but I can't do that with older systems. But no, I don't need them to play games but I do like them.
This. It's not that I want to show it off since I dont have my profile public but its a good way to remember the game if you didn't take any screenshots etc.

Also, I never force myself to get all achievements but if I really like a game I might try if it aint too bothersome. I really liked Resident Evil 5 and 6 but those MP achievements looks like chores and it wasn't fun.