• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Here in Central Ohio we had our second occurrence of snow that accumulated on the roads last night. For whatever reason, the snow plows didn't stay on top of things and the freeways were pretty dicey until this morning.

But while driving last night and tonight coming to work there was the occasional car driving along with their hazzard lights (flashers) on which confuses all the surrounding drivers and created a danger. Because people don't know why they have their hazzards on and are afraid to pass. In America, you really are only supposed to use your flashers if your car is broken down on the side of the road or you need to quickly pull over if you have a flat tire, for example. Semi trucks use them occasionally but they have good reason to. Passenger cars don't.

Yes, we all know the roads are bad. Turning your flashers on while driving in rain or icy weather only creates more issues to the people around you. Please stop doing this.

Thank you for your time, this is the end of my rant. Merry Christmas

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
What issues is causing exactly?

I think drivers generally use them to indicate "please use caution around me while I'm driving."

Giard

Oct 27, 2017
I usually use them when there's tons of fog or a heavy snowstorm so that drivers know where I am. It helps me locate other drivers too, because sometimes you can barely see in front of you in those situations.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Coming back yesterday around 2:30 when it started to snow hard i counted at least 15 people without their headlight on.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I use them in heavy rain when or extreme fog when you literally can't see more than a few feet away and are driving slower than usual. You want as much possible lighting to indicate to people who might be driving behind you faster that you're there so you don't fucking die.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I use them in heavy storms where you can't see other cars around you. With the hazards you can at least see my lights flashing when coming up on me.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's for added visibility during low visibility events like torrential downpours or blizzard conditions. What we got here probably doesn't cut it, but if you are on the highway and can't see more than a few feet in front of your car, it adds an extra level of visibility you otherwise wouldn't have.

I've seen it far more in Florida, where you have a higher chance of a pop-up storm dropping a ton of rain all at once, making driving nearly impossible but lasts all of like 5 minutes.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
It's to signal that you're going slower than the speed limit. Central Ohio as well, and it's actually helpful in heavy downpours and heavy snow conditions so that you can see the car in front of you.

OP
OP
HeySeuss

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
What issues is causing exactly?

I think drivers generally use them to indicate "please use caution around me while I'm driving."
Typically if you see someone with those on you try to give them a wide berth because they have some unknown car issue. In bad weather you can't always give them the space when passing so you have no idea what car problem they have.

They are not supposed to be used for saying "hey I'm here and the roads are bad be careful". If that was their purpose it would be a common practice. The fact that 99% of everyone else on the road is not doing this should give you an idea if you are using them appropriately in this scenario.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I would rather have someone use their hazards than to not have someone without their headlights on at all. Some people do not realize daytime running lights are not that bright at all.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
It will vary by state, so the "In America" statement isn't completely accurate of when you're allowed to turn on hazard lights.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I don't mind it if they're staying in their lane. All too often they forget that we can't see when they're signaling, and just change lanes all nimbly bimbly, making themselves and the roadways less safe.

Oct 31, 2017
Uh, the whole point of using "Hazard Lights" is for hazardous conditions, such as extremely low visibility rain, fog, or sleet/snow OR if a vehicle is in a hazardous situation such as being on the side of a road or is in an extreme, justifiable speed limit breaking hurry due to extenuating circumstances like going to an ER/an expecting mother.

OP's premise seems ridiculous to me.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some states require you to use your hazard lights if you are driving a certain amount below the speed limit. I know in parts of Pennsylvania if you're doing less than 40((ish? I forget) on the Turnpike you need to have your flashers on, for example.

I haven't driven in Ohio in ages but I would take it as people just trying to communicate "Hey, I'm going way slower than normal traffic, please make a note of it".

/shrug

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I'm also in Ohio and experienced this last night. Me and the driver in front of me were very confused and we drove behind the person with them on for about 9 miles before we eventually passed. They were also driving like 10 mph and you could easily do 30-35 with little issues

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, people do that everywhere, I thought. Been on roads where everyone has their hazard flashers on in low visibility

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
It's very common during poor weather conditions where I live. It's either used to increase visibility (heavy downpour/high fog) or to indicate going slower than speed limit so people don't just ram into you while they're not paying attention.

It seems like spending a few seconds thinking about the situation would help to understand the situation though?

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Yes, we all know the roads are bad. Turning your flashers on while driving in rain or icy weather only creates more issues to the people around you. Please stop doing this.
Thing is that many people drive as if the roads *weren't* bad. The hazard lights help ensure others will drive with caution around me — as they should be already, but aren't.

OP
OP
HeySeuss

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Maybe it's a state to state thing then but I'm 45 and it's definitely not a thing in Ohio. People using them cause more confusion than anything else. It doesn't improve your visibility when visibility isn't an issue to begin with. Maybe in northern states that experience a real winter blizzard condition it might help and be more common.

Not sold on the idea that turn signal lamps that are less bright than headlights would do any good in making you more visible though. If visibility is 100 feet with your headlights, you can't see your flashers at 100 feet anyway because they are dimmer.

Oct 26, 2017
It's for added visibility during low visibility events like torrential downpours or blizzard conditions. What we got here probably doesn't cut it, but if you are on the highway and can't see more than a few feet in front of your car, it adds an extra level of visibility you otherwise wouldn't have.

I've seen it far more in Florida, where you have a higher chance of a pop-up storm dropping a ton of rain all at once, making driving nearly impossible but lasts all of like 5 minutes.
Yep. Flip on your hazards during white outs

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The laws regarding hazard light use vary by state, though in general the OP is right. Here in AZ, you're not supposed to use them while driving, and the police will pull you over for doing so unless there's some emergency reason why you need them.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm also in Ohio and experienced this last night. Me and the driver in front of me were very confused and we drove behind the person with them on for about 9 miles before we eventually passed. They were also driving like 10 mph and you could easily do 30-35 with little issues
As someone from Ohio, people in Ohio have zero clue how to drive in any weather, but I'm still fine with using the hazard lights in low visibility conditions. Yesterday didn't seem like one, but I also live in NKY now and driving anywhere isn't something I actually do anymore.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's a state to state thing then but I'm 45 and it's definitely not a thing in Ohio. People using them cause more confusion than anything else. It doesn't improve your visibility when visibility isn't an issue to begin with. Maybe in northern states that experience a real winter blizzard condition it might help and be more common.

Not sold on the idea that turn signal lamps that are less bright than headlights would do any good in making you more visible though. If visibility is 100 feet with your headlights, you can't see your flashers at 100 feet anyway because they are dimmer.
Yeah well I'm in constant situations with low visibility and I can assure you it does make a difference in a 60 mph single lane highway in Louisiana when rain gets insane I can't see too far away or fog thicker than a bowl of oatmeal. It tells me someone in front of me is driving slower because the blinking light is noticed more easily than what you're already expecting of regular tail lights. And it tells the person behind me the same.

Oct 31, 2017
Here's AAA's state by state breakdown of legality/proper use of hazard lights:

AAA's Digest of Motor Laws - Hazard Light Use

The only US states that it is outright prohibited to use hazards in any situation are Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island.

There's a number of other states that say a specific traffic hazard, emergency situation, or a specific slow driving speed are required for hazard usage, while others have no defined restrictions.

To me, it's common courtesy to use hazard lights in torrential rain or extremely low visibility. And I think it's totally acceptable for some drivers to turn them on in inclement weather, even if I personally don't feel the weather justifies their use. Because not all drivers have the same driving confidence in themselves or other drivers, which is completely understandable.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's definitely not for you, but for those around you. Especially those behind you that may not even know your car is in front of them. In those low visibility events, you're alerting cars around you that you are there, which is insanely helpful when stopping distance is also severely limited.

Don't drive while you can't see, but doesn't really matter if you're on the highway and you enter whiteout conditions or you hit torrential rain or dense fog.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
As someone from Ohio, people in Ohio have zero clue how to drive in any weather, but I'm still fine with using the hazard lights in low visibility conditions. Yesterday didn't seem like one, but I also live in NKY now and driving anywhere isn't something I actually do anymore.

I didn't take much issue with them using the lights, I was a bit more annoyed by the speed they were going but if they felt safer that way so be it.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Coming back yesterday around 2:30 when it started to snow hard i counted at least 15 people without their headlight on.

I live on a hill that gets thick fog that reduces visibility to 100 ft ~5 days a month and have to make a left across a downhill lane to get off my street. In those conditions you really start to notice the number of drivers with white or silver cars that are new and nice enough to definitely have DRLs that are turned off, fog lights that are off, and going 15+ mph over the speed limit. Unfortunately that notice is less than 2s and terrifying.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
You use hazard lights when your car is impaired and can't go the speed limit and you're trying to slowly get to where it's safe to pull over where you stop and imagine that, your hazard lights should be on. You also use them when it's extremely icy and you're going to be going very slowly. It's extremely normal and it doesn't cause confusion. You are a driving hazard when you cannot change lanes without spinning out, which is how the conditions were here two days ago.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
maybe it's because I live on Long Island and have a Jeep with 4WD, but I'm usually unfazed by weather when driving.

I have had the car for 3 and a half years now and don't think I've ever used the hazards.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I ran into engine trouble once and had to limp my car (if I went above 55 the power to my engine cut out) about fifty miles. When I had my hazards on people were yelling at me and gesturing at me to get off the road. When I turned them off, people passed me and otherwise left me alone. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to use them that way in MA, which probably explains it, but I hadn't been here long when it happened.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

Yup this.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Written I drive around Central Ohio, I often see flashers in bad weather. I've seen it during sunny downpours where the road became a mirror, downpour with zero visibility, fog and snow. Not every car model has fog lights either.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Here in the UK, you do -not- use hazard lights constantly to "improve visibility" as they're supposed to be used to alert of an -imminent- hazard, not an ongoing weather/visibility condition which everyone is already aware of... You're just introducing a layer of alarm over something that isn't there, and it'd likely result in someone slowing down far too much as a result of expecting some actual obstruction.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
The idea is to let the people behind or on the side see you in either downpour or whiteout. Me personally? unless it really starts to dump water/snow, I don't turn mine on. PA too btw.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how this could possibly cause confusion. It seems like a pretty simple situation to me.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
One problem with driving with your hazards on I just thought of, some cars in the US are dumb and don't have separate turn signal and brake lights. So if your hazards are on, only your middle brake light lets other people know you're braking.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
It's for low visibility situations. And I appreciate when people use them in these situations.

I'm never confused when people have them on in storms. I know the deal, they are going super slow and it helps to see where people are in low vis weather.