• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
You could've stopped at "I don't understand Nintendo" and I as a Nintendo fan still would've agreed with the statement.

I do miss F-Zero a lot. I didn't like the GBA games very much, mainly because of the screen resolution making things too hard to see at times, but all the home console games are freaking great.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The simple fact you're not aware of the GBA entries show how unaware most people are about the franchise.

Ironically, Maximum Velocity actually managed great sales due to being at launch. GP Legend and Climax were sales disasters though (not bad games mind you).
No one said I'm not aware. As I said before, if a GameCube iteration can sell more than a GBA release, it's likely more a result of the platform of choice rather than the series' lasting potential. If Nintendo gave a new release as much attention even as a game like ARMS, there's no doubt it could sell well.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Nintendo wants to give F-Zero one more chance then NOW is the time. Make one more for Switch and see how it goes. This is the best chance F-Zero will have of taking off in sales.

nuchallenger

Oct 29, 2017
Is GX/AX partly owned by SEGA? It was made by Nagoshi's team (nowadays known as the Yakuza dev team - Ryu ga Gotoku Studio) after all. Would SEGA also need to approve it?
No, they were a 3rd party making the game. Like how Capcom doesn't own Zelda even though their dev teams worked on several Zelda games.

I would love a new one... Nintendo needs to figure out how to market it better, because F-Zero has always been great, it's getting people to buy it which is a problem.

Maybe make some more cross overs, like add some racers from popular franchises.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't think so. It's like a Donkey Kong Country/64 situation. Sure, an outside studio made it, but ownership and distribution belongs to the IP holder.

Right but then I looked it up on Wiki and apparently AX was actually published by SEGA not Nintendo and the arcade unit was made between Nintendo, Namco and SEGA in an alliance called 'The Triforce'. Haha, how cool is that?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That was a stupid place to put F-Zero games in the first place. Nothing about GBA tech was appropriate for what F-Zero is. Those games didn't have much value beyond the novelty of "hey, look, it's like that Super Nintendo game, but portable!"

I'm a huge, huge fan of both the F-Zero series and the GBA and I didn't touch the GBA F-Zero games.
And this is why F-Zero is dead.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Game Kult: After a quick survey on Twitter, one of the games French gamers miss the most is F Zero. Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn't made a new one since 2004. Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto:
[eyes open wide] I am really pleased to hear Twitter's opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has evolved very little. I thought people had grown weary of it.

I'd like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendo Land's F-Zero mini-game. I am also very curious and I'd like to ask those people: Why F-Zero? What do you want that we haven't done before?
That you haven't done before? How about online multiplayer?

The truth is the games have been on a downward trajectory in terms of sales and Nintendo doesn't want to take a risk on what they probably rightly consider a money sink, but it makes Nintendo sound less like a business if he says it's because they don't know how a new title would contribute to the artistic landscape of video games. Reminder that last year Nintendo released their 17th Mario Party game.

OP
OP
Liquor

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
The "utter bombs" were all for GBA. Could easily be a problem with the platform of choice rather than the series' lack of potential. The console games sold just fine all things considered.

Not to mention you said the N64 game barely selling over a million without taking into account that N64 games in general didn't sell well to begin with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_64_video_games. Barely 10 games managed to sell 3M so that puts the >1M more into perspective. The GameCube was even worse off, so our points of reference aren't proper samples to begin with.

^^^
For everyone crowing about sales, for starters we're talking about a game that released 16 years ago, do you really think sales data for that is an accurate picture of how well it'd perform today on today's market? Second, GX hit the Player's Choice range so it actually sold alright, the games that bombed and took down the franchise were GP Legend and Climax on the GBA (the latter not even leaving Japan). The fact that nobody even knows or remembers they exist when saying GX took down the IP is telling just how badly they did.

So what, the entire franchise should never return because a 15 year old Japan only GBA entry sold badly? Good god, Starfox has been selling poorly for decades and gets countless extra chances. Meanwhile Kid Icarus Uprising sold pretty well yet got consigned to the bin.
Great post. Hopefully the robotic "but sales" responses fall to the wayside after digesting this. Cause it's not true or accurate to the situation. This seems to be a total Nintendo doesn't handle their franchises correctly thing, and not it doesn't sell situation. Meanwhile, get ready for Super Mario running right 581. And Star Fox 1 remake 5.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Nintendo does not even need to look at GX sales, with watching Wipeout sales it's enough

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "utter bombs" were all for GBA. Could easily be a problem with the platform of choice rather than the series' lack of potential. The console games sold just fine all things considered.

Not to mention you said the N64 game barely selling over a million without taking into account that N64 games in general didn't sell well to begin with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_64_video_games. Barely 10 games managed to sell 3M so that puts the >1M more into perspective. The GameCube was even worse off, so our points of reference aren't proper samples to begin with.

^^^
The GC game was a bomb as well. The best game on console, but 650K is not a good return for the effort put out. The demand isn't there and there is not point to spend the resources on a game that, more than likely, will not sell, in a genre, that has no market today.

F-zero for N64 was the 43 highest selling game on the system. Plenty sold way better.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo should get Shin'en to make a budget F-Zero sequel like how Punch-Out! Wii by Next Level was sorta a budget title.

If you kept the budget small, maybe even make it digital only or a Nintendo Online bonus, I don't think it'd be hard for it to break even/be profitable. Just keep expectations in line, don't expect it to sell millions.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should get Shin'en to make a budget F-Zero sequel like how Punch-Out! Wii by Next Level was sorta a budget title.

If you kept the budget small, maybe even make it digital only or a Nintendo Online bonus, I don't think it'd be hard for it to break even/be profitable. Just keep expectations in line, don't expect it to sell millions.

Shin'en doesn't want to make it.

Great post. Hopefully the robotic "but sales" responses fall to the wayside after digesting this. Cause it's not true or accurate to the situation. This seems to be a total Nintendo doesn't handle their franchises correctly thing, and not it doesn't sell situation. Meanwhile, get ready for Super Mario running right 581. And Star Fox 1 remake 5.

Yes I too will reject reality when it doesn't line up with my views.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
For everyone crowing about sales, for starters we're talking about a game that released 16 years ago, do you really think sales data for that is an accurate picture of how well it'd perform today on today's market? Second, GX hit the Player's Choice range so it actually sold alright, the games that bombed and took down the franchise were GP Legend and Climax on the GBA (the latter not even leaving Japan). The fact that nobody even knows or remembers they exist when saying GX took down the IP is telling just how badly they did.

So what, the entire franchise should never return because a 15 year old Japan only GBA entry sold badly? Good god, Starfox has been selling poorly for decades and gets countless extra chances. Meanwhile Kid Icarus Uprising sold pretty well yet got consigned to the bin.
Grade A post.

I love X/GX to death while Maximum Velocity and the SNES game did nothing for me. Can't use the GBA games' poor sales as an argument when they can't be compared to the games made on N64 and GCN, and Climax never left Japan, as already mentioned. I think a new game, or even a GX remaster would do well on Switch given the install base that it has.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
kinda OT but maybe they should rebrand it as a mario kart/'nintendo racer' crossover. like think F-Zero GX with a Smash-like roster of racers. it'd come at the cost of the franchise's 'identity' but it'd sell and thus you get more F-Zero

but yeah not exactly rocket science why they left it alone, they're not particularly 'leaving money on the table' here

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing though.

Sales were a reason why Nintendo stopped making F-Zero games. But as time passed and other franchises took more priority, general interest in making a new F-Zero within the company declined to the point that no one with the power to make one has actual interest in making one, even just to test the market. To get a new F-Zero at this stage would require someone with enough clout to say "Let's make a new F-Zero," not unlike how Sakurai willed the development of a modern Kid Icarus into existence.

Sales aside, there will never be another F-Zero as long as no one with the power to greenlight projects at Nintendo has any interest in working on a new F-Zero. If no one wants to make another F-Zero, that's not IP mismanagement. That's simply giving priority to other projects.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The GC game was a bomb as well. The best game on console, but 650K is not a good return for the effort put out. The demand isn't there and there is not point to spend the resources on a game that, more than likely, will not sell, in a genre, that has no market today.

F-zero for N64 was the 43 highest selling game on the system. Plenty sold way better.
Are you even reading your own post? That's the fault of THE CONSOLE as you yourself alluded to, not the game. We can't say the demand isn't there when almost EVERY game on the Gamecube couldn't manage to sell well. It says a lot when you call it a bomb and yet it was just shy of the top twenty best selling games on the system.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get these. The first two sold well over a million copies. It was just the GameCube game that sold particularly poorly, but that's also Nintendo's second worst selling home console. With a decent install base and the series gaining popularity since via Smash Bros, people are vastly underselling the potential of a current gen F Zero. If ARMS can sell over 2 mill, F Zero could easily do just as much if not more in the current climate.
Even the earlier games, which did sell better, still didn't actually sell in the kinds of numbers that Nintendo really wants out of a higher-end project. F-Zero X, which you claim sold "well over a million copies", shipped 1.1m copies total worldwide.

It's also worth considering the argument that GX sold poorly because the GameCube sold poorly. It's certainly true that the maximum audience for GX was limited by the GameCube's low sales. However, plenty of games did sell well on GameCube - F-Zero GX just wasn't among them. It also wasn't "just the GameCube game" that sold poorly - the GBA games sold poorly as well, and those were on a much more successful machine. The evidence suggests, pretty strongly, that the series is not widely appealing.

The comment you make about ARMS is not something that works in F-Zero's favour. Yeah, it sold well. It's a relatively simple game about characters with sproingy arms punching each other. The development cost of that game was probably much lower than the development cost of a new F-Zero. When Nintendo are thinking about what kind of games they want to make, and games like ARMS sell 2.1m and the last three F-Zero games underperformed, what's going to cause Nintendo to choose to green light F-Zero instead of something simpler?

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
F-Zero isn't dead just because of the bad sales of the GBA games and GX big budget failing is what left NIntendo sour.

F-Zero GX had:
20 tracks
40 racers
Story mode with CG
Tons of voice acting
Character interviews with multiple answers
Lots of character specific CG segments that were separate from the story

This isn't taking into account the push it was given through an anime for the GBA games. The current state of futuristic racers in the market and even the death of first party series like Wipeout.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

This pretty much.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think the time is right for the return of F-Zero with a full new game. We're in an age where characters help sell games in titles such as Overwatch. F-Zero has a vast and eclectic cast of characters that nearly no other racing game can match, though the games so far have completely failed to deliver on their potential. There's a world in F-Zero that's just waiting to be blown out.

Imagine the next Nintendo Direct. The presentation closes with a mysterious trailer. An upbeat rock song (something like this) starts playing as we see a massive futuristic stadium from ground level. The ground starts to rumble and hordes of people start rushing the stadium from behind the camera. We cut to an aerial shot as we see hordes of people FLOODING the stadium. Whatever this is must be a big fuckin' deal. Cut to inside the arena as we see Bio Rex posing for a picture with a family, flexing as he has kids on each shoulder. We see quick shots of Dr. Stewart signing autographs and Mighty Gazelle shaking hands with his fans. Suddenly, it's race time as the racers rush to their machines intermixed with quick cuts to the titantron showing their names and nicknames. Captain Falcon is last to the starting line as we cut to black just after the machines rise off the ground. The music drops and we cut to gameplay with an absolutely blistering sense of speed. The UI is more dynamic this time around with the speedometer numbers going fuckin' NUTS as the machine boosts, showing that doing so is pushing this machine to its absolute limits. Suddenly, an unknown vehicle blasts by everyone else. This is our rookie ace pilot and our protagonist in story mode. We then see quick shots of story mode showing dialogue with other racers, vehicle customization, and free 3D on-foot movement around a hub world. Back to the race, our rookie and Captain Falcon are neck and neck at the finish line as Black Shadow looms in the sky behind them. "F-ZERO"

I've been thinking about this a lot recently for whatever reason, like what my ideal F-Zero would be in 2019. F-Zero is the world of a shounen battle game anime like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh!, where the sport of F-Zero is literally the only thing that matters. And yes, that's silly, but we'll take it seriously because the universe plays it completely straight. Racers would have their own fanbases - you would be able to see kids in the crowd wearing Captain Falcon masks and Bio Rex heads, for example. The racers would be totally idolized by the galaxy and this would help add weight and more dramatic tension to races. In the game's marketing, character specific trailers like in Overwatch or Team Fortress 2 would be vitally important to get fans attached to them as well. Who are these people? Why are they racing? Who do they like and dislike? This information is crucial to develop these characters as people you can get attached to.

I'm envisioning the story mode somewhat like Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain where you'll be able to interact, align with, and antagonize the other characters. And yes, there would be a persistent SSX Tricky-style rival system throughout races. You might be contacted by mafia boss Don Genie to "take care of" Roger Buster and Drax in the next race because they botched a job for him. Doing so would pay well, which would allow you to buy parts and upgrade your machine, but enemies would also be created. Or you could turn the tables on Don Genie by destroying his Fat Shark during the race which would have different consequences. Or maybe Dr. Stewart asks you to donate some cash for his medical research, which would align you with him and he would assist you in the next race. This would be a fully reactive shounen style storyline with the works - best friends, bitter rivals, dastardly betrayals and miraculous victories. The characters are the focus and interaction with them is key. GX gave us the tiniest morsel of this with stuff like the story mode chapter 3 cutscene, but I want so much more.

That's basically what I want from F-Zero (single player at least). The series' vast array of colorful characters should be fully utilized for audience engagement and dramatic stakes. Aside from that I'd probably want similar things as everyone else. Track editing features (with online file sharing), online multiplayer, and the return of death race would all be great features. F-Zero GX should absolutely be the base for gameplay, though the different turning methods could be better explained to the player.

F-Zero has such potential and it pains me to see it neglected. There's so much more to say but I'll leave it at that.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Very few arcade racers seem to do well anymore regardless of how bad we may want them. there's Forza Horizon, Horizon Chase Turbo, and??? They just don't sell outside of a few titles.

I am sure I missed some modern ones that I just can't remember. Still miss Project Gotham and F Zero.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

F-Zero went from 1 Million to less than 100K in the same platform. That's a big problem, because it indicates lack of fan growth. It's even worse when you count the anime.

Again, the GBA sold over 80M. What kind of 1st-Party release doesn't even manage over 10K in Japan back when it was a very healthy market? Like I said, it did as well as The Wonderful 101 and Code Name S.T.E.A.M., which sold in less popular systems.

GX did well, despite it being on the Gamecube too boot. I'm also sure a Mario Kart was the best racing games on handhelds, right? How many racing game franchises actually sell gangbusters on portables? That's the key question.

F-Zero belongs on consoles. HD+Online. And, it's been well over 15 years now. I think we can try again by now. Unless we base all future franchises on their performance on a failed system from 15 years ago.

Saying that the series belongs in consoles is not making it any favors. A vast majority of Nintendo IPs were succesful in portables. Including F-Zero (MV)!

But then the following games kinda killed that idea.

This kind of thinking just reinforces the niche aspect of the franchise. Being portable never hindered the sales potential of other Nintendo IPs.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
No Strings Prd has an excellent video explaining why there probably isn't any new F-Zero:

Long story short: No new ideas that could top what was presented in GX. A new installment would pretty much be itterative and just an "HD version" of GX with perhaps fancier graphics. There has to be a new gameplay concept introduced without losing the identity of F-Zero.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I also wish Miyamoto or whoever would stop desperately trying to keep Star Fox alive. It would be nice if they would put those resources toward a series that's had at least one good game in the last 20 years.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Are you even reading your own post? That's the fault of THE CONSOLE as you yourself alluded to, not the game. We can't say the demand isn't there when almost EVERY game on the Gamecube couldn't manage to sell well. It says a lot when you call it a bomb and yet it was just shy of the top twenty best selling games on the system.

Except almost everything Nintendo made DID sell better than that. Pikmin 1 & 2 both sold better. Animal Crossing sold better. Metroid Prime 1 & 2 sold better. These established/revived franchises that still exist.

I think the longer a popular-but-unsuccessful franchise goes between entries, the bigger it's legend becomes. F-Zero might be big enough to exist today if they made it, but they didn't really have a compelling reason to keep them after GX at the time.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
There's no one at Nintendo who cares about F-Zero

Yep. Sales is one thing, and yes, F-Zero would get more games if the series was a bigger seller. But now when it isn't you need someone there to be driven enough and provide a good pitch for something new that justifies the series' continued existence. The complete radio silence apart from two MK8 tracks says to me that they probably consider the series to mostly be a cool curiosity of the past.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Considering the stuff Nintendo does put out thinking it'd sell. The lack of F-zero is even odder. It's a catch 22 atm, F-zero can't sell because there's nothing to sell atm.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
F-Zero went from 1 Million to less than 100K in the same platform. That's a big problem, because it indicates lack of fan growth. It's even worse when you count the anime.

Again, the GBA sold over 80M. What kind of 1st-Party release doesn't even manage over 10K in Japan back when it was a very healthy market? Like I said, it did as well as The Wonderful 101 and Code Name S.T.E.A.M.
Did you even read any of what I said lol

This is really where this argument should begin and end. It's so silly that people look at the numbers and call it a day while forgetting that the GameCube and even the N64 fell flat in terms of install bases. If your "bomb" of a game is close to the top twenty best selling games on the console, the problem is likely the system selling poorly more than any other alternative.

The series is much suited for consoles, and the gaming climate in 2020 isn't identical to how it was nearly two decades ago, so that argument against the series' return is fundamentally flawed as hell. I don't even care for F-Zero, but people are always way too dismissive of the series without looking into the actual details of the matter.

On a console where 1,2 Switch and ARMS sell over 2 mill people really think F Zero couldn't do at least that much even when it could manage over a million on consoles the Switch outsold within a year or two. smh

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
It's really hard to justify making a game like that with the amount of resources it demands for track design, flawless performance and optimization, and pinpoint physics and have it sell so poorly. F-Zero as a franchise needs a spin-off or reboot that implements the core gameplay of the series, but gives it a bit more mass market appeal. I mean, they have nailed Captain Falcon's characterization since the N64 days, yet it hasn't occurred to anyone at Nintendo that he's ripe for an action beat em up type game, or even a full on sandbox type game set in the F-Zero universe. Something like Burnout Paradise. GX's gameplay has a very high skill ceiling as well, so it has esport potential with some additions to the gameplay.

They need to give the franchise to a developer that's actually willing to get ambitious with the IP.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't make them enough money to give a fuck.

Does that help anyone's understanding?

(E: also, hypothetical 2019 sales don't matter when they could just make Mario Kart GX instead and sell 20x)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto doesn't think there's much more they can do with it. No new ideas. So they don't bother with it.

Jun 2, 2019
It's easy to understand. It's one of those series with a very vocal, wich means nothing because each entry sold less and less to the point of the last entry on GBA completely bombing.

Would it fare better nowadays? Who knows. I'd be happy to call F-Zero a wild card, but that would imply that any entry aside of the original and X sold decently.

Honestly I think Nintendo is done with it and with good reasons. Memetic claims from people who discovered the series through Dolphin way after it became irrelevant doesn't count as an active fan base.

I'm sorry for the long term fans though.

Now, I support the idea of a test launch on the eshop of either X or GX with online support a la Virtua Racing

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Considering the stuff Nintendo does put out thinking it'd sell. The lack of F-zero is even odder. It's a catch 22 atm, F-zero can't sell because there's nothing to sell atm.
Some of those are done with hindsight because Nintendo's ideas can sound excentric until they show how much of a hit they are.

Do you think that a "soap opera simulator" like Tomodachi Life should have sold more than the remake of the beloved Ocarina of Time? A game where you live with animals where you do chores should be a Nintendo franchise that sells more than 10 million? How about Splatoon? Which is the game that many people claimed that it would bomb hard.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I've made peace with the idea that there will never be another F-Zero. Nintendo only puts out games that they know will sell millions, such as Animal Crossing.

And btw I don't buy that Nintendo isn't releasing a new one just because there isn't enough new stuff they can do with it. They release essentially the same games over and over again that have only slight twists on their formulas... sometimes only gimmicks. If F-Zero sold 5 million copies each game then we'd still be getting them. It's all business.

Not like they'd top GX, so it doesn't really matter much to me.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Some of those are done with hindsight because Nintendo's ideas can sound excentric until they show how much of a hit they are.

Do you think that a "soap opera simulator" like Tomodachi Life should have sold more than the remake of the beloved Ocarina of Time? A game where you live with animals where you do chores should be a Nintendo franchise that sells more than 10 million? How about Splatoon? Which is the game that many people claimed that it would bomb hard.

Well you put it yourself, F-zero is just something that would need to be sold accordingly for a first attempt. It's not a franchise that would need to sell millions to break-even if planned out correctly.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I think it may have gone the same way creative sports games gone the way of the dodo. Racing genre shifted nigh entirely to realistic licensed stuff.
Maybe it can have a come back these days tho.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
No Strings Prd has an excellent video explaining why there probably isn't any new F-Zero:

Long story short: No new ideas that could top what was presented in GX. A new installment would pretty much be itterative and just an "HD version" of GX with perhaps fancier graphics. There has to be a new gameplay concept introduced without losing the identity of F-Zero.

GX is in my top 5 of all time easily, but honestly I do think it's lacking in several areas. The game is very poorly tutorialized for essential mechanics like the quick turn, story mode is way too hard for the average player, the cutscenes don't really establish much of a world, and the whole affair is pretty short. The pacing of story mode is also poor with the need to purchase the next chapter with tickets, and the game does a poor job of establishing and utilizing its cast of characters. Grand Prix could also be spiced up with the SSX Tricky rival system to develop a narrative through those races. GX's gameplay is absolutely sublime, and it looks and sounds great, but it isn't perfect by a long shot. I think a huge, well-executed story mode would be enough on its own to really make an impact and completely reframe the experience. And I'd love love love to be able to make my own tracks and share them.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta doesn't sell

Metroid doesn't sell

why make anything or try to bring IPs back, thank you sales experts

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
They should take the Mario Kart team off MK9 and put them on F-Zero instead.

Why aim for 20 million when you can aim for 2?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
For everyone crowing about sales, for starters we're talking about a game that released 16 years ago, do you really think sales data for that is an accurate picture of how well it'd perform today on today's market?
Of course nobody is saying that sales data from so long ago tells us how F-Zero would sell today.

However, it tells us that F-Zero was not widely appealing back then, and there is no reason to suggest that the market has changed in favour of the franchise. Back at the time GX released, futuristic racing games were a stable sub-genre of racing games, with F-Zero sharing the market with Wipeout, Extreme-G, Rollcage, Kinetica, Quantum Redshift, and others. That market no longer appears to exist.

So, what would cause F-Zero to sell significantly better now than GX did back then?

Something like this would probably be a good idea from Nintendo's perspective (and for fans of F-Zero, I guess), but Shin'en have their own niche futuristic racing series to worry about. There'd be a risk that doing F-Zero would kill Fast Racing, and they couldn't depend on F-Zero being successful (and even if it was, they couldn't depend on Nintendo sticking with them for future games).

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Then Nintendo is stupid, because a person's interest in a GBA F-Zero game has nothing at all to do with interest in something like a GX-style game on Switch. The GBA can't deliver what I want out of that series.

Which is another problem.

If F-Zero lives and dies for its tech, then it's not gonna last with Nintendo. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. all did well in portable AND consoles. Metroid Prime didn't invalidate Fusion for example. It still retained enough fan interest.

Hell, I believe even Star Fox Command and 3D did decently. Not million-sellers (likely half of that), but enough to meet Miyamoto's expectations.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They dont make them for very simple reasons

1. They don't sell
  2. They dont have new ideas that would make a significant number in sales
The original F-Zero was made to showcase Mode7, thats all there is to it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta doesn't sell

Metroid doesn't sell

why make anything or try to bring IPs back, thank you sales experts
Bayonetta and Metroid have directors who want to do stuff with the IP. And even with Metroid it took a while before the ones interested had an idea. F-Zero doesn't have that.

OP
OP
Liquor

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Shin'en doesn't want to make it.

Yes I too will reject reality when it doesn't line up with my views.
Yeah, that's what I said. You are either bad at reading or just bad at reading but no one is saying that. Take a second to read the thread, and the points we are all making then respond. It goes along way to having a conversation without the nonsense.
Exactly.