• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
It's a mess.

Off topic, but I also noticed they removed the ability to add a message to friend requests.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah the people in charge of this website redesign have lost it. Have no idea what was going through their minds when they designed it.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Because people wanted a shiny, new experience for a new gen even if it meant a dumb, unfinished, worse-than-the-thing-they-had-before experience.

I know that this is what Sony wanted for their platform, but do we know that this is actually what PS5 buyers wanted...?

MS did literally the exact opposite thing...the Xbox Series UI is exactly the same as that of XB1. Haven't seen a lot of discussion on folks' opinions re: one approach vs. the other.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
It blows my mind that when the old website was already pretty frustrating to use and not convenient they managed to double down on making it even more user-unfriendly. Download list is harder to access, viewing individual pieces of DLC from the base game isn't possible, hell even redeeming PS Plus games seems to be harder with it. People (rightfully) give Nintendo a lot of heat for how they handle their online infrastructure but at least their website's version of the eShop is clear cut.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
On the bright side, the store on PS5 itself is very responsive and the phone app is quite good.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If I go to the store and click on a game (any game), this is what I get.

DyyfOnB.png
I get that all the time. I have to log out and log back in. So stupid.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Because people wanted a shiny, new experience for a new gen even if it meant a dumb, unfinished, worse-than-the-thing-they-had-before experience.

Are we talking about the store or console UI? Because the UI on PS5 is great (lack of folders aside).

And what's wrong with shiny new things? Some of you are just boring sometimes :P It's a gaming console designed for fun, not some productivity workstation. I'd trade a temporary loss of features for something shiny and fun on my gaming device designed for shiny and fun things :) Just my opinion.

And I'm talking about console UI, not the store.

Last edited:

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I normally don't talk shit and find these usable, but nah, this store feels broken and unfinished. Most the time I can't even find a sale that's going. So odd

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I know that this is what Sony wanted for their platform, but do we know that this is actually what PS5 buyers wanted...?

Well, can't speak for everyone, but I did. As I said above, it's not a productivity machine but something fun, I'd trade a few features for a while for a shiny new experience - they will work on it, after all. And, also, talking about the console, not the store website.

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
It was bad before and yeah, this is much worse and unlike any shopping experience I have ever seen. It is bizarre, and I'm sure it has to have a negative impact on sales when it's so frustrating to use and navigate. Sony gets a lot of things right, but definitely not this.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's complete trash. The old web was never good, but at least some basic shit was visible. Right now, the web store is probably the worst web store I have ever used. Whoever "designed" it, needs a new job

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
it's dire and i'm sure heads are rolling. i'm sure it lead to a decrease in sales.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
My guess is a backend change to the way the PS5 does store required the website be updated.

They likely planned on it being more feature rich, but couldn't wait any longer and had to get it out ahead of the PS5 launch.

It's rarely intentional when a company removes so many features from an "upgrade"; there's often a forcing function and then just not enough time to actually get the product out in a preferable state, but no option not to.

COVID likely didn't help.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
It's rubbish. I don't think you can add multiple Ps Plus games at once anymore, you have to go to page of each games and how feckin slow it loads.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't actually mind it in general. But not showing the price for a game without clicking it is fucking unforgivable. Buying from their deals selection is often driven by price for me "oh, that game is only £3 I might give it a whirl" but needing to load the games page to see it's cost just puts me off scrolling entirely.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Their new website continues to be really atrocious. Significant downgrade from what we had previously, just like the PS5 UI has been a real downgrade from the ease of use of the PS4 UI. I wonder if the same team/people worked on both of them.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
In my opinion, the best the PS Store ever was , was from 06-08. Before the changes. Every game had a demo, things were found easily, the tiles looked good. Now, it is usually so buggy or janky that I am honestly a bit worried about buying anything on PS5 out of some irrational fear that it will lead to some error in the digital download or with my account, etc. Also, the PS4 UI was great. Not sure they changed it when it was not broken. They wanted everything to be new..

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the old one wasn't exactly good, but the current one is just awful.

Yeah agreed. I guess it's a case of 'you don't know what you have till it's gone", but I do miss the old web store. It just seems so much easier to use and straightforward than the current one, which looks a lot nicer but lacks so many features.

You'd think that for all the money the PS Store generates, they'd focus on making it as intuitive and clear as possible, but instead it's... Well, it's not.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Anyone else hate the Explore page / tile on the PS5 UI?

Everything in that page is everything I do not care about .

A page for Fortnite ads, constant COD Warzone, and a random old dev diary for something. it feels like it never changes.

I WANT to customize my PS5 main UI and menu and explore tab/page. I just want Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and Sony First Party content appearing only. An ad or trailer for FFVII or FFXVI, a dev diary for Returnal, TBH. I just want the explore tab to show only content I acre about.

Why didn't they ask me if I want a constant giant fortnite ad on my main menu? I pay for PS Plus, can I please not have a giant ad for fortnite.

lol_not_ok

Mar 30, 2019
UI has best practices but is still subjective and people tend to like what they are used to. I've never had an issue with finding what I've wanted. I primarily use the new PlayStation App and generally like it better than the old one.

The only issue I seem to have is the store integration with downloading content I own. If for some reason they release a repackaged version of a game I have purchased before I can't set up a download in the new App. Dying Light and Mafia III say I have to purchase them. I know I own them and can download them from my library on console, but not the App. Latest game to do this is Hitman 3 for some reason which seems to have a unified PS4/5 version now.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else hate the Explore page / tile on the PS5 UI?

Everything in that page is everything I do not care about .

A page for Fortnite ads, constant COD Warzone, and a random old dev diary for something. it feels like it never changes.

I WANT to customize my PS5 main UI and menu and explore tab/page. I just want Final Fantasy, Resident Evil and Sony First Party content appearing only. An ad or trailer for FFVII or FFXVI, a dev diary for Returnal, TBH. I just want the explore tab to show only content I acre about.

Why didn't they ask me if I want a constant giant fortnite ad on my main menu? I pay for PS Plus, can I please not have a giant ad for fortnite.

It's really dumb. You can get rid of that stuff by unfollowing games, but I have no idea why it defaults to following these games already.

I'll let you figure out how to unfollow game because it's quite the experience.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
It's incredibly shit - my PS Plus games won't Complete Purchase after Adding to Cart. Of course, contacting PS Support ends up with them asking me for my serial number from my PS4 bought in 2014 and all that other bullshit.

I would say dismal, but that's being kind.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Yep, went there just now to look up resident evil and it keeps giving me an error. Not Village, just Resident Evil and it's giving me nothing. I don't get how they continue to suck ass at this.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
So I figured this might be relevant since it's a Playstation Store foible, but anyone else see this thing in the PS5 store "pre-orders" page? It looks like it's just a placeholder spot for another game or something, but it's weird as hell and super creepy.

NZlNXPP.jpg

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I despise it. I don't understand the DLC tab only showing a handful of games instead of actual DLC, and you can't view a game's DLC from its webpage. I miss having everything that was released that week (games, DLCs, avatars etc.) on one easy to locate page. The search function no longer pulls exact results but instead pulls hundreds of unrelated media that includes a single word of what you're searching is stupid. Not being able to sort what you're looking for is baffling.

How and why they approved this is beyond me.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Has the old webstore ever had PS5 game pages? Hitman 3 has one.

HITMAN 3 - Standard Edition

This digital version of HITMAN 3 includes PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 versions of the game. Take on the most important contracts of Agent 47s career at 60 FPS and in 4K resolution on PlayStation®5 Death Awaits. Agent 47 returns in HITMAN 3, the dramatic conclusion to the World of...

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Has the old webstore ever had PS5 game pages? Hitman 3 has one.

HITMAN 3 - Standard Edition

This digital version of HITMAN 3 includes PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 versions of the game. Take on the most important contracts of Agent 47s career at 60 FPS and in 4K resolution on PlayStation®5 Death Awaits. Agent 47 returns in HITMAN 3, the dramatic conclusion to the World of...
I searched and found the PS5 for Demon's Souls. Also thanks for this, thought the old webstore completely got rid of PS4/5 games and was just an old hub for PS3/Vita games.

Edit: ah, New This Week is dead on the AUS store =(

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Never really understood the hate for the old store. It wasn't great, but decent enough.

The new one on the other hand is straight up bad.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Something I find annoying is that you can't add free DLC to your cart, you have to directly add it to your library. Since some games have quite a bit of these, having to go through the purchase window multiple times is a hassle.

Worth noting that this isn't the case for paid DLC.

swazzyswess

Mar 26, 2018
I despise it. I don't understand the DLC tab only showing a handful of games instead of actual DLC, and you can't view a game's DLC from its webpage.

Not only that, but once you do manually locate DLC that you already own, I believe it's impossible to redownload it from the web store. I load the DLC page, click "download from library," and then I'm taken to a page with my game library.... but no way to access the DLC, only full games.

I hope I'm missing something because this seems ridiculous.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
The store is really bad - agree. I scratch my head over the choices they have made.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
In the PS5 OS showcase they said they would release another video later showing the PS Store and PS Now integration... Turns out that never happened so I assume they are just way behind schedule in updating it.