• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A little over a month ago, I made a thread about a technical issue where prices simply don't show up, usually requiring the need to open up a private browser to browse properly.

While that is still an issue, today I found myself browsing the website for quite a while as I was going through the current PlayStation deals. It was a miserable experience.

76ENRsB.png

There are nine pages of games and DLC with absolutely no way to sort them. Want to look at deals from lowest to highest price? You can't. Maybe you want to view the games alphabetically? Nope. Perhaps you are only interested in full games and would like an option to leave out season passes? Sorry.

This is the same when doing a standard search as well. So when searching for 'Resident Evil,' you again are given no sorting options at all.

But what about the game pages themselves? Well, UNO is on sale, so let's take a look at that.

AQCgbDO.png

Immediately greeted with this obscenely large banner image. There is absolutely no reason it needs to be this big but let's scroll down further and add it to the cart.

pbzHmjV.png

Okay, I suppose this is fine. It's weird that they don't include an actual description of the game itself but I'll just add it to the car--hey, wait. What is the Ultimate Edition? Let me check that before I finish my purchase.

And here is where I run into what I think is the most bewildering website design decision on the site.

Kdkf7NP.png

You can't fucking click any of those. That includes both the text title of the game and the image of the game. For everything under the 'Editions' section on game pages, you have the option to add it to the cart and that is it.

Basic website navigation language would lead most people to assume that you can click either the image or text of 'UNO Ultimate Edition' to go to that product page. But instead, you need to scroll back up to the search bar and search for it individually. It is the most nonsensical design choice imaginable. And this is just UNO. For a larger AAA game like Resident Evil 2, it will list the Deluxe Edition under the 'Editions' section but you can't actually click it to be brought to a product page to see what is included in that Deluxe Edition.

Oh, and the description of the game that you're on the game page for? It's at the bottom of the page, under the 'Editions' section. Logically, it should be at the top of the page in an area under or to the right of the 'UNO' game title. But nah.

LIHgvM7.png

It's messy, unorganized, slow and buggy. I don't understand how this new web store launched the way it did.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I don't use it anymore, it's very tedious, especially if you're in a different region than your account because it'll redirect you by IP, unlike the previous version of the story which worked seamlessly.

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
It's truly bizarre.

The old web store was far from perfect, but it was functional.

This new one it's just straight garbage.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wild how the PS Store could get even worse, it's always been an absolute pain in the ass.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i dunno, Sony is weird. Between the store being a mess, and them not allowing the gifting of games, its like they dont want to sell product.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I don't use it anymore, it's very tedious, especially if you're in a different region than your account because it'll redirect you by IP, unlike the previous version of the story which worked seamlessly.

That is such a PITA, specially when following people like Wario64, or the threads in this site by Captain of Outer Space

The old website was ugly, but at least it was functional. This is the worst of both worlds.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
the last one was usuable but this is a total mess,even getting to the ps+ games which i have had to do since i don't have a ps5 yet and can only add those games to my library by browser.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I can't even buy anything on it from my phone. Get errors about expired credit card despite using PayPal. Bought it when I got home using PayPal and it worked fine...

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yeah, it hella sucks. I use the app. It's much more functional imo.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the store so much, it's literally the worst user experience buying a video game and I've been to GameStop.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There are nine pages of games and DLC with absolutely no way to sort them. Want to look at deals from lowest to highest price? You can't. Maybe you want to view the games alphabetically? Nope. Perhaps you are only interested in full games and would like an option to leave out season passes? Sorry.

One of the frustrating things about this is that it's in a seemingly random order too. They'll have the super deluxe version of Godfall in the first few items and then, two pages later, you'll find the standard version that you actual want and then four pages after that you'll find the normal digital deluxe version. It makes no sense to me and asks quite a lot of you when you just want a quick scan of a sale and have to look through nine pages of badly sorted massive tiles with the prices missing from them most of the time.

Third party deals sites keep winning here.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
One of the frustrating things about this is that it's in a seemingly random order too. They'll have the super deluxe version of Godfall in the first few items and then, two pages later, you'll find the standard version that you actual want and then four pages after that you'll find the normal digital deluxe version. It makes no sense to me and asks quite a lot of you when you just want a quick scan of a sale and have to look through nine pages of badly sorted massive tiles with the prices missing from them most of the time.

Third party deals sites keep winning here.

That too. I was actually trying to figure out if there was some sort of order to these deals and couldn't find any pattern at all.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
They probably had to due to dependencies with the PS5 UI. They have a lot of work to do to get it up to an acceptable level. I managed to buy what I wanted but it's far from an ideal experience.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I've completely stopped using their store online or the ps5, I use psdeals exclusively. The website ui and the ps5 ui are trash.

Hopefully they're already working on major updates and we just haven't heard about them yet.

They need redesigns already.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Cross-post from another thread:

I've found recently that the webstore says I'm logged in, but I am not really. Doesn't show an avatar, doesn't show games I own, or PS+ entitlements. However, I can access my account information. Logging out and back in remedies that. Maybe that is your issue as well?

I find it annoying as hell, as I have to do this every single day (yes, I frequent the store a lot). Currently trying to see if setting some cookie and adblock exceptions fixes it. I added all connected domains to adblock and cookie exceptions, still getting 'half-logged-out'.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to explain my frustrations with all the iterations of the current store (web, mobile, PS5 itself -- they each have problems) to my friends, but they shrug it off and tell me they just don't care and don't know why I make a big deal out of it. I tell them I like to browse and appreciate a well-organized and executed shop experience. They tell me they know exactly what they want, go to the store, get it, no problems, and don't understand why I'm making a fuss.

It's frustrating. lol

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's awful, I'm convinced whoever designed it has never used an online store before.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
The store on the PS5 and now the web is hot garbage.

It was so easy to find anything I wanted before.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
No fan of it either, it comes across more like a blog site than a store page.

The previous web store was ugly but functional.

ALSO! why can't I view my wishlist on the web?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's so bad.

The Nintendo web store is clunky as hell but search functions work and its ordered semi reasonably.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to explain my frustrations with all the iterations of the current store (web, mobile, PS5 itself -- they each have problems) to my friends, but they shrug it off and tell me they just don't care and don't know why I make a big deal out of it. I tell them I like to browse and appreciate a well-organized and executed shop experience. They tell me they know exactly what they want, go to the store, get it, no problems, and don't understand why I'm making a fuss.

It's frustrating. lol

Because people wanted a shiny, new experience for a new gen even if it meant a dumb, unfinished, worse-than-the-thing-they-had-before experience.

If they had a toggle to switch back to how the webstore used to be and how the PS4 UI used to be I would flip it with zero hesitation. Activity Cards be damned!

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Not directly related to the web store, but I remember that LinkedIn post from one of Sony's UX designers in the lead up to PS5. They seemed so pleased with themselves that they got it right. Well...what happened?

dimitri2401

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Yep, it's a real mess. The old store had its share of problems, but the new one is simply terrible.

And of course they also removed the wishlist, which I used extensively. So many bizarre decisions...

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
It's awful.

At least it has product titles under the boxart now, I suppose. It didn't even have those at launch.

Oct 27, 2017
A store that doesn't even have a damn wishlist option. If I still had a wishlist, I could quickly check that if I wanted to see if any of those games were on sale instead of trying to navigate the sale page. It works better in the app, but that's no excuse for a store that fails basic UI design, and it still doesn't have a wishlist either.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bothered to visit the site and log in my information from the day it was redesigned, the thought of approaching it is simply too appalling.

It's yet another in a rich history of website redesigns that only served to severely downgrade and ruin the identity of a site. It happens like clockwork, with such few exceptions.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They got rid of the wishlist function.

Like, I cannot think of a single reason to do that.

Nintendo has a wishlist function on both the eShop and the web store.

N I N T E N D O

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping they would improve the store, but instead they destroyed what useful functionality the old store had.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is absolutely awful and I have purchased much less on PSN ever since it launched.
Discovery sucks. No PS3/Vita games sucks. Everything about it (but the speed) sucks.

Their previous store wasn't fantastic, and it was bloated.. but at least it got some of the basics right.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I have had no issues with it, but I use external sites for deals and have never used a wishlist.

And using a controller for the store on the console snaps everything to the relevant binding box, so the clicking the name not the button hasn't been an issue

Oct 27, 2017
The only good thing about the new store is how it saves me money. Sometimes is so frustrating to buy what you want (or impulse buy) that I just say to myself I'll try again later. But end up never going back there when I remember how horrible it can be.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the worst storefronts I've ever used. I literally haven't heard one opinion say "it's fine, I've had no issues".

the amount of features it stripped out or took away altogether is baffling

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Sony have often been terrible with UI/UX and other non-game related aspects of their services. This is crap, but not surprising at this point sadly.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It is absolutely awful and I have purchased much less on PSN ever since it launched.

Same. This is the bit that sucks the most. I'm a sucker for window shopping and just impulsively buying shit. I've barely done that on my PS4/PS5 since the new store launched. I only visit the store to get things I specifically know I'm already getting.

It's terrible for discoverability.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually impressive that they managed to make the store worse than the PS4 version.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Whenever I click on a title and go to the game page, images are blurred out and some of the text wont load. I can literally not see how much a game costs or buy it. I have tried different browsers, logging in and out, opening private windows, etc. Nothing works.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
hey remember when Sony broke and ruined the PS3 store too.

Seems to be a precedent tbh.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I stopped using it altogether, it's pretty bad. Now I mostly use the app or if I already know what I want the integrated store on the ps5.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Right? I can't even open the fucking thing on a Safari browser. Also, I had to use the PS5 to edit my credit card information. It's ridiculous.