• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Notyou

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
I'm retiring to the hill country in a few years. The middle of freaking no where. I've lived in big cities all my life. I'm done with the traffic, the noise, the crime, and the pollution. In the country, when I turn off the tv, I hear absolutely nothing. When I go outside I can actually see all the stars and the light from the milky way galaxy. I won't be sitting for hours in gridlock traffic. Rural living is awesome.
My brother. *fistbump

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
10:200 per capita ufo incidents in rural areas. but in cities you have fewer reasons to look at the sky.

Oct 27, 2017
It's quiet and peaceful. It's really all about the simple things, like being able to see the stars in the night sky instead of millions of lights. It's about hearing wildlife and not just pigeons and stray cats/dogs.

Also like way less rules and worries about bothering people around you. Want to have a bonfire? Go for it, no one will care. Want to blast music? Who's gonna tell you not to, the home owners association? Please.

these are all the pro's and i'd gladly move to a more rural / isolated area where i can partake in said bonfires and music blasting out of huge amps and subwoofers

as an introvert, it's probably better for me to be closer to people and city life, as it forces me out of my comfort zone. just a matter of goals/perspective really.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
If I can get paid as much as I'm now and have s choice of living in rural area I will do it in heartbeat. No traffic. No pollution. What not to like about it?
My god thats the dream. I live in NYC, i don't make too much, but if i was able to get what i make and live out in rural or suburb, i wont hesitate.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish i could afford to live in relative isolation. Been living in medium/big cities all my life and i'm quite fed up with it. Too much stress. I'm getting old and want a really big lawn to shoo kids away from.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Very rural Canadian here.

It's awesome. No traffic, no people, no noise, no neighbours. Just my little family, land, and plenty of trails and roads to run on.

My life was improved greatly when I moved to the country and gave up the lazy crutches that come with city living - I cook healthier food, spend less money, spend less time on the internet, spend more time outdoors, etc.

The only downside is cutting acres of lawn.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
After living all my life in towns and big cities I'm now rural since three years. It was okay for the first year or so but recently I'm really starting to dislike this lifestyle. Here are my three worst things about living in the countryside:

1. Lack of access to culture. Concerts, movies, museums, events, beautiful buildings and so on. Oh, how I miss that stuff. We have a couple of small festivals but it's the same thing every year. I feel like I am slowly becoming a culturally hollow person and I don't like that one bit. There's a few dozen people living around here but none of them care or know anything about that stuff. I'm lucky to have 2 gig fiber internet in the middle of nowhere(would never have moved here if not for the internet), but that just means I'm bound to spend too much time on the internet.

2. Constantly "being" someone is exhausting. I miss stepping out of my apartment and not have a single person know or care about me. In a small community you constantly have to do small talk, keep up appearances, deal with rumors and all kinds of nonsense. I don't mind the occasional chat with a neighbor but there is no escaping that stuff here, and to make things worse even small altercations can and often do end up in nasty generation lasting grudges. Also most people are related to each other here. That creeps me out. Oh, and people in the countryside are really old.

3. The constant driving. God I hate it so much. I like to drive and the roads here are fun but I don't want to go anywhere anymore because even the closest place which is another small dump is 40 minutes away. And it gets really old to go to the same place and the same fucking stores after just a few visits. The closest decently sized town is about 80 minutes of driving away and even that place is also a shit-hole. You'd think that you'd become a more physically active and sporty person by moving to the countryside but it's the exact opposite. Even just talking a walk is crappy here since nobody maintains the trails during winter. Gyms or other training facilities? Nah, nothing like that out here.

What I'm beginning to realize is that living like this is only worth it if your life revolves around access to rural "elements" in some way. Like if you are a farmer, or if you are building your dream-house and need cheap land.
There are some amazing people here but I can't take it anymore. My plan is to get out, hopefully within a year.

Last edited:

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Ive got the best of both worlds. I live about 50 ft from the central experimental farm, in Ottawa. I also live about 15 minutes from our downtown core.

If i ever want to get a bit of that rural life, i just have to walk a few feet.

http:///Msed.jpeg

Babyshaq90

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking idiotic statement. I don't need stats to show how stupid that was, but here they are anyhow.

E2-A45-F26-3-A10-4-BF4-8-DF8-7-F10-F2-F7-D07-F.png

Not sure if I am following correctly but that is the change in rural population showing an increase in hispanics. According to the 2010 census there is still a high amount of whites who live in rural areas than hispanics overall so likelyhood of someone being white is higher. Whether they don't like gays or brown people is a different argument.

0SfVTFl.png

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I could live somewhere rural if it was by the ocean or in Europe or something, but I don't get midwest or prairie rural living.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, it sucks. My parents are in a semi-rural area. Cars going by are actually louder due to the sound echoing throughout the valley. No mobile reception (until a year or two ago). Shit internet. Takes too long to go anywhere. No public transport. No TV reception. It's a struggle to get a lift anywhere. There's no town water out there, so no water pressure when the power goes out. Speaking of which, at least six hours of downtime when the power drops. Uber in any capacity is probably never coming to that area.

I fucking hated it. I moved 1000km's away to Melbourne, Australia where all this stuff is normal.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, I'm definitely not a rural type person. I'm not really a nature person, and value convenience over scenery. My best friend lives in the countryside, and I just don't get it.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Rural living can be great depending on location. Big Island of Hawaii is mostly rural. I'd love to live there someday.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
The film 'Funny Farm' lampoons this sense of quite grace people seem to think the boonies contain. At least from the false perspective of city folk. I can see the quality in it but is rather be closer to the pulse than in absolute solitude.

Oct 26, 2017
Ah well you can't understand everything
Very underrated first post.

I don't think I could tolerate rural living. I grew up in a city of about 60,000 and I don't think I could tolerate even that again, considering my current city is over 100x bigger. Infinitely more convenient and interesting.

Wait until you need to pee outside and you realize you can just whip it out right then and piss. Its like Nirvana
People do this in cities as well.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I like the idea of living in a small town like the one I grew up in, I still live in what many would consider a small town. It's not the people and excitement that I would miss, but the convenience of stores and restaurants being nearby.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Even though I live in the centre of a town (by the sea), it's only a 5 minute drive to greener pastures and I'd take the sights and sounds of the countryside any day. Less convenient for everything obviously, but also less humans about which outweighs any disadvantages.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up in a suburb/rural town of about 8k (30 minutes from a small city, 45 from a big one. But the bus took around an hour to get to the small one).

I've been living in a city in my adult life (8 years), and while I do like it- I miss my old town as well. After my parents also moved into the city and I didn't have a rural place to go to.. It's annoying always being stuck in the crowded, noisy polluted city with no escape (and travelling is not the same).

I miss the quiet when waking up or falling asleep, being able to take a walk in the woods, walking in empty streets to visit my friends..

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Im a little surprised at how frequent the posts here are that people like rural specifically because they hate humans/there are less humans. It's remarkably antisocial.

After living all my life in towns and big cities I'm now rural since three years. It was okay for the first year or so but recently I'm really starting to dislike this lifestyle. Here are my three worst things about living in the countryside:

1. Lack of access to culture. Concerts, movies, museums, events, beautiful buildings and so on. Oh, how I miss that stuff. We have a couple of small festivals but it's the same thing every year. I feel like I am slowly becoming a culturally hollow person and I don't like that one bit. There's a few dozen people living around here but none of them care or know anything about that stuff. I'm lucky to have 2 gig fiber internet in the middle of nowhere(would never have moved here if not for the internet), but that just means I'm bound to spend too much time on the internet.

2. Constantly "being" someone is exhausting. I miss stepping out of my apartment and not have a single person know or care about me. In a small community you constantly have to do small talk, keep up appearances, deal with rumors and all kinds of nonsense. I don't mind the occasional chat with a neighbor but there is no escaping that stuff here, and to make things worse even small altercations can and often do end up in nasty generation lasting grudges. Also most people are related to each other here. That creeps me out. Oh, and people in the countryside are really old.

3. The constant driving. God I hate it so much. I like to drive and the roads here are fun but I don't want to go anywhere anymore because even the closest place which is another small dump is 40 minutes away. And it gets really old to go to the same place and the same fucking stores after just a few visits. The closest decently sized town is about 80 minutes of driving away and even that place is also a shit-hole. You'd think that you'd become a more physically active and sporty person by moving to the countryside but it's the exact opposite. Even just talking a walk is crappy here since nobody maintains the trails during winter. Gyms or other training facilities? Nah, nothing like that out here.

What I'm beginning to realize is that living like this is only worth it if your life revolves around access to rural "elements" in some way. Like if you are a farmer, or if you are building your dream-house and need cheap land.
There are some amazing people here but I can't take it anymore. My plan is to get out, hopefully within a year.

Bingo.

I need somewhere with good public transit because I am fucking tired of driving so much in Texas myself.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
The best would be to have enough money for owning houses both in urban and rural area, but if I had to choose, I would prefer the city. We need a way more automation to make the rural life comfortable enough for my taste.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I couldn't do it in most places in the States, but at this point in my life I wouldn't mind living in the Japanese countryside. Mostly because you are never THAT far away from a decent city in most places.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand the city, too crowded, too many people, feels fake. I need some peace and quiet. The only downside to living in the country would be going shopping and such; takes too much time and effort. I'd love to live in the middle of nowhere.

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been a suburbs kind of person.

But I think when I'm older I'd like to retire to a more rural place.

Not too rural, mind you. I still want my boardgame group. So maybe myself and a few friends will retire to a rural place, and we'll be our little pocket of people.

Texas is great for that - you can be "rural" only 20 minutes from a major city. Wish we had something like that in California. I'd have no problem adding 20 minutes to my commute each way if it meant I could live in peace and quiet.

I kinda understand what you're saying, but in general that's what the Central Valley is. You can live outside a city like Fresno relatively easily. Of course most people don't want to live in the Central Valley, but I feel there a lot of relatively rural locations in California.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I kinda understand what you're saying, but in general that's what the Central Valley is. You can live outside a city like Fresno relatively easily. Of course most people don't want to live in the Central Valley, but I feel there a lot of relatively rural locations in California.

Google says central valley is 300 miles from Fresno.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Waking up amidst the countryside, birdsong and fresh air is a genuinely lovely thing. I've also found it to be good mentally to be in the countryside and at the very least away from sensory overload of urban areas. I prefer suburban living as a midpoint but my parents live in a thatched cottage, in a village in the heart of the New Forest (UK). Walk 300m down the road and it stops and you're walking in either open heathland or forest depending on the direction. It's where I spent about a decade of my childhood and am grateful for it on reflection despite it being a bit shit as a teenager. I love visiting now as it's a nice pause to the hustle and bustle, and I can never resist getting some bacon and stilton scones from the farm shop on the way.

I can definitely see myself retiring to the countryside in the future, for now though I'm happy on the fringe of a city. Trees and green everywhere, relatively quiet but still have all modern comforts within a 30m drive. I also want my future kids to have more immediate social options growing up, though trips to my parents and country walks will be regular thing. I've lived in the heart of London as well so definitely experienced both sides of the scale, as well as most points inbetween.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up on a farm and now live in a small town of 6k. I would never want to live in a city.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Im a little surprised at how frequent the posts here are that people like rural specifically because they hate humans/there are less humans. It's remarkably antisocial.
Funnily, for me it's the opposite. I like rural because I like people. Sure, there are less people, but you know your surroundings much better. It feels more like a community and the people are becoming more important for you.
In the cities however, no one cares about each other and is isolated in their circle of friends and families. While that has a lot of benefits, for me it feels much more antisocial then the rural life
(only my experience. And I'm European. Don't know how it is in the US)

Edit: and because people started to post pics :3
5b86d10d3e29894aec7d5c7fcf4a544a2d878277.jpg

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
not every rural environment is the same, ya know?

The older I get, the more I long to be closer to nature and away from mass civilization.
For now, I'm stuck in the center of Hong Kong, but that won't last. Life here is 100 mph, 24/7.

If that doesn't make you wanna "go rural" then you're not seeing the end-game clearly. lol

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm about an one hour drive from downtown San Diego and probably a 20-30 minute drive from a large urban area. This is what it looks like where I live:

cq5dam.web_.1280.1280.jpeg

I can go running and hiking. I even went fishing a few times, but the fish here suck. It's nice going outside and it's nothing but peace and quiet. Then at night I can use my telescope and see some of the clearest night skies. The only issue I really have is internet and it's not that bad anymore. For streaming and large downloads (games and updates) I use satellite. However, the 4G is decent out here, so I use that for gaming (around 50-80 ping for my games).

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on your age, preferences and family status. For single people and couples in their 20s or 30s, cities are great. For families with children, I think big cities are not a good place to live. I didn't grow up in a rural area, but at the edge of town next to the forest. I think that's the perfect place if you have kids. You are not far from stores, schools, medical facilities, options for leisure time activities etc. but also close to nature. It's quiet and it smells good, there's less pollution, crime, traffic. It's great to be a kid and be able to get out of the house every day with your dog and your best friend, explore the forests and the fields, observe the animals, build a tree house, go cycling, just be out there and stay active. That was the best part of growing up close to nature. I honestly feel sorry for city children, who do not have the opportunity to do that. Then, there's community and people. Generally in smaller towns, you also have better relationships with your neighbors or people living close to you. Anonymity and urban life go hand in hand, ironically people in large cities are often more alone than those in towns. Of course it also depends on the community, I was lucky enough to live in a good one.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best would be to have enough money for owning houses both in urban and rural area, but if I had to choose, I would prefer the city. We need a way more automation to make the rural life comfortable enough for my taste.
I used to think that I would never want to live in a rural area. We started going up to the family home/cabin in lower northern Michigan about 20 years ago with her family for a getaway weekend. It was a small little shack surrounded by woods, nearest neighbor was 5 miles down the road, 45 min to the nearest towns. It sucked. Nothing to do, no TV, no internet, just boring.

Since the grandmother died, her dad has made renovations to the place. Added a large deck, new roof, cleared out trees for solar, added a wood pellet heating system along with a wood pellet maker. He has fiber hooked up, and completely paved the driveway.

So with all that plus delivery service, I look forward to retiring up there and ridding myself of people and crowds.

kittoo

Banned
Apr 20, 2018
I am not American but to me, whatever ive gleamed from movies or tv or online, rural USA seems pretty nice place to live in. Peaceful, beautiful, with nice people and most of the amenities. I live in one of the biggest and densest cities in the world and i dont like it here at all. Want some quiet.
I would love to move to USA, especially rural, if i could but then i hear about your healthcare and i go nope.

Oct 25, 2017
spent 2/3 my life rural living. It fucking sucks and I'll never go back to it. The infrastructure's garbage (shitty Internet), there's nothing and nobody around in a reasonable distance, the culture is dull and stunted, and the roads are usually shit, especially in the winter, at least here in Michigan.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Not sure if I am following correctly but that is the change in rural population showing an increase in hispanics. According to the 2010 census there is still a high amount of whites who live in rural areas than hispanics overall so likelyhood of someone being white is higher. Whether they don't like gays or brown people is a different argument.

0SfVTFl.png

My main point is that it's a lazy and crappy opinion to suggest the people who don't move their families to an inner city are racist white people.

My supporting graph simply demonstrated the opposite of their shitty point is actually happening. Non-white people are actually increasingly moving to rural areas at a consequential rate. I never suggested those areas are no longer predominantly white, just that those long held demographics are changing.

I mean, minority populations displaced by gentrification can't all move to the suburbs.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I don't think I would like living in a rural area. I don't really like interacting with people, but I like being around people.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to be wealthy enough to have a place in the city, and one (secluded) away from the city that I can go to occasionally. Would really like to be able to do some amateur astronomy. Actually living in a small town would be a pain, at least here in the U.S. Would be surrounded by hyper religiosity and bigotry most places, and everyone knows your buisiness.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some god damn peace and quiet.

In all seriousness. I personally don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere either. But living in the PNW it's nice being a little out of the way near nature instead of being in crowded City area. Nothing is too far a drive here really, so it doesn't bother me.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I often think about how nice it would be to just get away from all the bullshit, and not have to worry about the 24/7 media feedback loop, or spending money out shopping, or dealing with people. Just be out in nature where it's quiet and I can just kinda enjoy living for lving's sake.

And then I remember all the fucking Trumpers and bible-thumpers and realize there's no escaping the bullshit

cjkeats

Oct 27, 2017
S. John's, NL Canada
My mom lives in an extremely rural spot, her street doesn't have a name because there's only two homes on it and she's too far down the street to get high speed internet kind of rural. Around an hour drive to town. They still have a store to rent dvds and a gas station with a single pump that gets more ATV traffic then vehicles.
It's a real nice spot to visit in the summer, warm and quiet. It's definitely a bad spot to live though.

I worry about her a lot because of the distance out of town emergency services are always a significant time away, and since my stepdad had to go out of province for work, coming and going on a rotation schedule, she's out there alone most of the time. The family has been grilling her for years to move, at least move closer to her job, but she wouldn't budge. My stepdad seems pretty happy with where he's too for work, and my cousin is up there too with a youngster so we think she's starting to think about it a bit more.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I like not spending a fortune on basic stuff like a roof over my head so that's a factor for me