• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck after living in a city my whole life... my normal summer vacations are in the middle of the woods with no cell reception and nobody else within miles. I'd love to live out in the woods.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Inflammatory generalisations. History of similar of similar behaviour.
They love it because there aren't any minorities.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to retire and move into the vacation home. 45 min away from people, totally energy self sufficient, and hooked up to fiber.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A small city with a good amount of stuff going on culturally seems the ideal for me. Could not live in a huge densely populated city, the thought of it makes me anxious a bit. but I'm fed up of the drudgery of my provincial town too

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most interesting defenses of guns was this explanation that said that people in rural areas have to be more reliant because if a wolf attacks, health care is hours away. I'm like...maybe dont live far away from civiliation in fucking wolf country??
There's also the whole avoiding to pay for municipal services and then complaining when they won't cover you.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I understand why people like rural living - even though I couldn't do it for more than a couple weeks vacation-style.

Anyway, living in cities is so much more energy-efficient. If anyone's on the fence about whether they should go rural or urban, they should consider going with the more environmentally-friendly choice: city living. Take advantage of the economies of scale.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I hated growing up in the country as a kid because it was impossible to visit friends and there was almost nothing to do aside from play video games. Now that I'm older though, I think I'd enjoy it. I love driving, and don't mind making trips to get groceries. It just takes a little more planning, and I do that already.

I live in the middle of a quieter city now, and it's perfect. I really enjoy the feeling of being a part of a smaller community, though I do constantly call out older people for getting involved in others' drama for no reason. I have a thesis that churches in small towns are hotbeds for the stupidest drama in this country.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Also like way less rules and worries about bothering people around you. Want to have a bonfire? Go for it, no one will care. Want to blast music? Who's gonna tell you not to, the home owners association? Please.

Basically me. If I wanna hang up some picture frames at midnight with nails, I'm doing it lol. Also, the very concept of street parking (or paying for parking) is so out there to me to be off-putting.

I currently live an hour away from Memphis, so I don't miss any concerts or anything since they all tend to go there. But when that's done, I get to go back to my own walls and my guaranteed free parking and my starry skies, etc... I'm gonna be moving to Boston soon, and while I'm excited for the career change and all that, I'm gonna fucking hate losing my space (unless I win a lottery).

Oct 25, 2017
Only appeal rural living has is the quietness and openess of nature, but I feel like that's still very accesible when living in the right city. After living in a pretty cool place during college, I don't think I could give up having multiple types of great food and entertainment available to me. I found that whatever dirtiness or loudness didn't really bother me and I could be just as at peace on my apartment balcony as when I was in the middle of nowhere at a national park.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
There is no traffic, it is super cheap, and it is quiet and you get a lot of time to spend by yourself outdoors.

If those things appeal to you rural life is not that bad.

As with everything I think the company matters a lot. I could easily see myself living in the sticks with my wife and kids and being ok. But by myself I think I might go a little stir crazy if I was unable to find any friends my age.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
My rural hometown area sits just outside the heroin capital of the country, and overdose deaths are so common there now that a good chunk of my yearly catching up with family and friends at Christmas time encompasses learning about how many of my old high school classmates have gotten themselves killed in the past year. My dad's plastic extrusion plant is frequently robbed for raw materials by junkies and homeless men scrapping together anything to pay for their fix.

I live in the ATL metro now. It's pretty chill in comparison.

I feel like I spent 30 years of my life escaping a rural hellscape and would never go back unless forced.
I don't know where you live specifically but when I say Atlanta, I mean the city-of("inside the perimeter"). Alot of the suburbs outside of the city like Sandy Springs or Dunwoody are nice and affluent and as a bonus you can even have an "Atlanta" address. But go to the south side or the west side where the junkies literally walk up to your car at the red lights and your tune would probably change, if that's what you're running away from. Not to mention the break-ins and robberies.

Oct 27, 2017
I like it in theory, but if you have kids or need to commute into the city for work it sucks. We initially moved out to the sticks because houses were so much cheaper and we liked the idea of having more room and getting away from people.

In the years since, more and more people have been doing the same thing and our area has become more suburban than rural now. My commute time has doubled due to the increased traffic. We also have 2 young kids, which means time is now our most precious resource. Running even the most basic errands on the weekend takes forever because of how much driving is involved. Right now we're actually getting ready to sell our current place and move as close to my job as we can afford.

When we're old and don't have nearly as many responsibilities it will probably work out better.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I like getting out of the city and suburbs. It's quiet. Nobody to bother me, nobody for me to bother. I can turn up my guitar amp as loud as I want and not feel self-conscious about how shitty I play.

I suppose living out there would get oppressive after a while though. Being able to hop over to the store to pick up a few quick items or just deciding to go out to eat on a whim is nice.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've almost only ever lived in big to gigantic cities - Edinburgh, Bath*, London, Manchester, Los Angeles, San Francisco and finally Seattle.

As I get older the idea of a village or an island or a mountain valley gets more attractive. More and more I value the peace and beauty of a pristine environment than the fun and variety of a city. Orcas Island or Hanalei are my dream retirement spots.

LA is weird because it's actually a road linked network of distinct towns - Santa Monica to Long Beach and Glendale to Venice and so on. and downtown LA, while way better than it was on the nineties when I lived there is a place you go to work, maybe sleep, but not play. The train and subway may have changed that feel. But Sunset and Wilshire Blvd from Santa Monica to downtown are two long drives I remember every inch of.

On the flip side most of my best memories and friendships and loves are in those cities.

*Bath is what I'd call a town (although the official UK definition is a legal status granted by the state. It Calls for a cathedral qualifier and so the smallest city in the UK is St.David with like literally 1500 residents. The city of Rochester once lost city status after a reorganization and redistricting exercise - and nobody realized it for four years because even though it's a legal title it grants zero special privilege or benefit beyond the use of the word "city") but it was the perfect compromise - you could do most city things but walk across the city in an hour - and walk right into beautiful bucolic splendor.

Many people living in Seattle are moving across the pond to Kitsap County and Island County, might be somethjng worthwile for you.

I work from home and my wife is a teacher so the call of Coupeville, Washington is calling to me

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I mean, whenever I hear someone say that, they're invariably white old conservatives who don't like the idea of living near gays and brown people...
I mean, whenever I hear someone say that, they're invariably white old conservatives who don't like the idea of living near gays and brown people...
Lol nope.

I grew up on a hobby farm with no running water ... got it later on .
It seemed tough but I moved to the city for about 12 years actually a few cities. It was great but after about 10 years I realized I was never going downtown and avoided it actually. Now I live near a lake it's fucking awesome the only drawbacks are commuting and food places close at like 8pm lol.
Never fucking going back to the city there's zero appeal for me. Amazon killed any lingering desire

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only appeal rural living has is the quietness and openess of nature, but I feel like that's still very accesible when living in the right city. After living in a pretty cool place during college, I don't think I could give up having multiple types of great food and entertainment available to me. I found that whatever dirtiness or loudness didn't really bother me and I could be just as at peace on my apartment balcony as when I was in the middle of nowhere at a national park.

You don't always have to totally forsake the city pleasures when living outside of it, though. if I want nice restaurants, craft beer and edison bulbs, they are 25min away. I can't really stumble home from a bar anymore, that is a downside, but i decided that was probably a good thing for me. 🥴

No food delivery though, that's for sure. I had to get better at cooking.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
These numbers don't really do much to refute the point. Kind of the opposite, really. The percent change for white people is small because those areas are overwhelmingly white to begin with. Adding in more white people wouldn't move the needle much. On the flip side, a couple Hispanic families moving to town could represent a massive percent increase in some places.

Forget the numbers. Stating that the only people who don't like the city are racist white people is plain fucking dumb. And to your point, I simply don't agree increasing minority populations works against my position.

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I don't know where you live specifically but when I say Atlanta, I mean the city-of("inside the perimeter"). Alot of the suburbs outside of the city like Sandy Springs or Dunwoody are nice and affluent and as a bonus you can even have an "Atlanta" address. But go to the south side or the west side where the junkies literally walk up to your car at the red lights and your tune would probably change, if that's what you're running away from. Not to mention the break-ins and robberies.
I mean I was passing through the airport last winter when it seemed to be occasionally serving as a de facto homeless shelter, so I saw some shit. Including an incident where a lady who was clearly not in her right mind just dropped her pants to the ground in the food court and screamed.

But around here it feels like you at least don't have to go too far to get away from that, whereas it felt like it permeated everywhere where I used to live. I don't have to deal with the worst of what MARTA has to offer that often.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Rural isn't for me. Wifes grandma in rural texas has like one bar 3g, slow ass internet, supermarket is 20 miles away, basically anything more than dairy queen is 20 miles away. Nope.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've spent a lot of time in rural places over the years, so I can see the appeal, but I need my city. I like being able to walk where I need to go, and to be able to hop on a subway and be in a vibrant downtown.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Born and raised in Los Angeles, with some of the most vibrant, diverse, and quality food, party, beer, and entertainment scenes.

I engage with barely any of it and would give up all of it to live somewhere affordable. Fuck this hellhole and the idiots who run it.

I fully intend to be living in rural Idaho, Oregon, Washington, or Nevada within the next decade, but I still gotta figure some shit out with money and my career.

jellyfish

Nov 7, 2017
Public transportation is a huge factor for me. Growing up in Beijing, I'd rarely worried about getting to places without driving. After living in the Boston suburb then the Bay Area for a few years, I started to really miss the convenience of it. So I can't see myself living anywhere other than a city, especially in the US.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've lived in L.A. my entire life, but I also greatly appreciate complete silence, which is rare in a city. If I could live in a totally isolated area, but still have electricity and fast internet, that would be the dream. No psychotic hobos screaming at each other, no dumb kids playing loud music, just me and my tv. I could die in peace.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
Growing up in rural living has a meditative, unique feeling to it that tends to produce personalities that are quietly contemplative (or at least subdued in expression). When mixed with actual talent and/or intellectual spark, it can produce very interesting people.

I suspect that a lot of people who grew up in rural areas have very mixed feelings about this subject; in no small part because the surroundings they grew up in are so achingly beautiful - to the point of triggering religious feelings of awe - but that they then have to square with the opinion and behavior of their neighbors.

Obviously, this internal conflict is particularly strong with people who are some shade of LGBTQ+, but it's probably also on the mind of "regular folk", too.

I grew up in the countryside, and I feel very ambivalent about the tired dichotomy of "city folk be like this" and "country folk do like this".

At the same time, as a person who was cognizant that I was gay when I was 11, I have complicated feelings about actual rural living.

I think there is genuine criticism that can be levied against the sum-total of "rural living-mindset" as some kind of generalized concept, but talking about this topic from that "yay-or-nay" perspective ("city-living = success; rural-living = failiure) is going to snuff out a lot of really interesting perspectives from a wide spectrum of people who grew up in a rural environment.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Generally speaking cities have:
-more crime
-more noise
-more pollution
-more people
-more traffic
-more expensive

Those are all major negatives for me.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
O rly? Rats and bed bugs dont count as nature.

We live in Seattle "proper" with a walk score of literally 97 and we have raccoons, owls, bald eagles, squirrels, foxes, coyotes, turtles, stoats, orcas, whales, octopi, at least two black bears, and occasionally escaped zoo animals and livestock. Oh and chickens GALORE thanks to hipsters who raise them in tiny front yards and fail to secure them (which is partly why we have coyotes). We also have a giant population of hybrid domestic and wild rabbits who all look like they just escaped from a house but are basically just giant black, white or multicolored wild rabbits who are a bit slower and more chill than the regular wild rabbits.

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't do rural living. I've lived in cities and suburbs most of my life, but my parents have always had this fascination with the country and quiet life so we would take vacations out in the middle of nowhere. It was hell. Internet was shitty, it took forever to get anywhere, there was nothing to do, and the food options were limited.

After speaking with people from low population areas, it also sounds like it would suck if you want to blend in. While there aren't as many people in rural areas, you tend to see the same ones and everyone knows each other. If I had a bad interaction with someone at a store or something, it would be hard avoid that place in a rural community because that's the only option. I currently live in a suburb of a city with millions of people and the options are endless. I would never have to step foot in that particular store if I didn't want to.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
As something of a misanthrope, I completely understand the allure of living far away from other people. I grew up in a rural area and lived there until I moved out at 19. I had a safe, happy childhood, but it would have been nice to have more to do in the immediate area. We also couldn't get pizza delivered or anything like that, which sucked pretty hard.

I find that the conveniences and amenities that come with living in a major metro area are more important to me than being far away from other humans. Like, growing up if I wanted to go have Vietnamese food for dinner, it would have been a 45 minute drive somewhere to make that happen. Now I have a ten minute walk to get the same thing.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
It's the fucking worst. OP you have my sword. Moving back to a rural area was the biggest mistake of my life

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
My rural hometown area sits just outside the heroin capital of the country, and overdose deaths are so common there now that a good chunk of my yearly catching up with family and friends at Christmas time encompasses learning about how many of my old high school classmates have gotten themselves killed in the past year. My dad's plastic extrusion plant is frequently robbed for raw materials by junkies and homeless men scrapping together anything to pay for their fix.

Huntington, WV? I know the feeling my dude.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
my wife and i bought 5 acres, and built a house. We fucking love it. Our kids can play without any worry of speeding cars on the street. In our old neighborhood in sugarland people would speed down the street. its quiet, we get a breeze almost all year round, vs in the city its rare.
but we're literally 2 exits away from Pearland outside Houston. It takes us 25 minutes to get to the houston zoo or downtown houston, so its not even like we're that far away.

I see hawks and other birds of prey all the time which is amazing. We saw a coyote early morning the other day which is also pretty cool.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I like to breath. That's a reason to live in a rural area.

Also, I can throw parties at my place without having to worry about how much noise we make: nobody can hear us.

Also, my cats are basically self sufficient: I leave them some food inside, but most of the time (especially during spring and summer), the live out of mouses, rabbits and some other stuff.

I don't do it because I lack the time: but you can also easily grow your food and be close to self sufficient. (add some chickens to have eggs).

And, that might be more because of my own experience, my I'm way more organised than when I live in a rural area than an urban one: I have to buy food for the entire week: so I have to plan everything I might want to eat. Similarly, I try to do everything I have to do in the city at once: appointments, groceries,... so as to save as much oil as possible.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya I'm a city boy. I like to go up north to cottages once a year and swim in the lakes, but could never live in a rural area. It depresses me just thinking about it.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
I much prefer rural areas to cities, with the exception of making it harder to get to professional sporting events haha

Last edited:

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
im with you, op. but there are definitely people out there who wouldnt have it any other way. fuck that, its definitely not for me.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
My dream home is in the middle of no where surrounded by nature....... while having incredibly good internet <_< I love nature and space but I need my non-satelite broadband.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I love having the space.

I like being able to grow a garden. My grandma had a raspberry patch for a long time, and I have fond memories of helping out.

Big downside is bad internet.

There are towns with stores and restaurants only a few miles away. I'm a very introverted person so not something I always like doing.

But I guess the only reason people like rural areas are few minorities according to some people in this thread.... That doesn't even make sense to me.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the appeal of city living..noise, traffic, people all over, small living spaces with parking garages and many stories above the ground...No thanks.

I live in the suburbs and if I could find a house that was more rural that was still closish to stuff I'd move. I'd love to live surrounded by woods, trees and no people.