• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
It is always good for people to have choice. I am 100% digital in my game purchases, but it will be a sad day when physical media is gone. There are valid reasons for going either way, and a loss of physical media is a loss in consumer choice.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Not buying able to trade or sell digital software is always what kills it for me. That and he god awful prices at launch.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I stopped buying digital games about 2 years ago. If I ever get into a significant financial hardship I have hundreds of Nintendo games I can sell for a nice amount to keep me going for a while.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
cheaper prices from time to time.

Once retail isn't a real factor that time from time turns into "hella often" as anyone who uses Steam a lot here can tell ya.

I have almost 600 games on Steam thanks to constant sales, and that's a lot more than I ever would have had were physical still around.

Halo

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
100% agree. Physical games have helped to fund so many new games and console purchases over the years. Trade-ins, private sales, and promos have allowed me to buy almost anything new that I've ever wanted on the cheap for as far back as I can remember. This generation has been especially fruitful. Any game, day one, no question, cost never a concern. It's been a fun ride....

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Well mainstream big selling titles will continue to have physical copies. You still see movies and music sold in retail stores. Same thing will be the case with games. Gonna be a long time until they go away. Even some Netflix releases get physical versions these days.

Of course you will probably have to sell them online or at a mom and pop store though. Places like GameStop seem to be on the way out. Maybe Walmart or something will get in on the buying back old software.

As for digital storefronts. Every store should have a return policy like steam. I know Microsoft tested such a feature, never heard anything from it. And I do wish there was an option for trading digital games, I think there is one store that does it. Recently purchased by Nvidia, forget the name.

Biggest issue with Digital, is sometimes games get pulled before you have a chance to buy them. Would be nice to be able to buy them from people that own the copies of the games.

Edit: Robot Cache is the store I was thinking of.

And it was AMD not Nvidia. Looks like a partnership, not a buyout though.

www.pcmag.com/news/372568/amd-joins-alliance-to-support-blockchain-in-gaming

Last edited:

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Gamestop is closing in Sweden next year, as far as I know that leaves 1 store that accepts trade-in games and it's an online-only retailer.

There's not really a culture of selling higher priced games. Usually it's on the Swedish Ebay equivalent or in Facebook groups and it's along the lines of "any of these games for 5$ or 10$". If it's any more expensive people will just buy it from retailers or digital.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I go physical for all my consoles, and digital for PC.

I prefer physical so I can keep them forever or sell them whenever I want. I visit my friends a lot for parties and bringing physical discs to play with them is awesome.

Also, when a platform's digital storefront closes, the physical games will likely go up in value.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
I've made thousands of dollars by reselling games. I can't do that with digital as far as I know.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It is more than just a 'bit' of convenience though. Digital is extremely convenient.

Steam has the best returns model. It means I buy more. (And I rarely use the returns option)

Definitely. Being able to play a game for a couple of hours to know if its for you or not and being able to get a refund is great. I've refunded quite a bit of games lately lol.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
It's currently the only way to buy AAA games day 1 without DRM. So yeah. As a preservationist, the push for all digital sounds like a hellscape.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if I can't resell or borrow/lend then I don't want it, unless the price is significantly reduced. I also just like having the box

Nov 8, 2017
No company has a proven record that they can be trusted with digital games across generations, especially not Nintendo. With a couple exceptions I am physical only on consoles.

breadtruck

Oct 27, 2017
I go physical for all my consoles, and digital for PC.

This is how I am also. On a rare occasion ill buy a physical pc game, likely due to a huge sale price. Otherwise, it's only digital for my pc. The consoles are only physical, beside the free crap... and I never really play that stuff long anyways.

Once retail isn't a real factor that time from time turns into "hella often" as anyone who uses Steam a lot here can tell ya.

I have almost 600 games on Steam thanks to constant sales, and that's a lot more than I ever would have had were physical still around.

And how many of those did you play for 30 min, realize it was crap, and never touch again?
Now days It's different on steam since the return policy exists. But before that, you where stuck with them. I have a huge collection of steam trash too. Nothing to be proud of, haha

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Why does everyone seemingly assume folks have a "collection" like some weird YouTuber's background if they prefer physical media?
Do you not? What are we calling a collection here? Surely you've amassed maybe a dozen or two favorite games over the years that you didn't sell after beating them. To me, that's a collection, and as another poster put it somewhat brashly, "clutter." I'm full digital at this point but I've still got a single shelf full of games I haven't found the will to part with yet, but don't get touched hardly at all. You have nothing similar to that?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I've gone physical with both my PC and console collection whenever possible. Much harder with PC gaming, seeing how Steam and other digital storefronts ruined that trade. I'm more over it, but I still physically buy retro games over getting their digital equivalents.

I am also getting tired of people lazily using "clutter" as some bullshit buzzword over items they don't like or appreciate. Nothing wrong with a person who takes care of their items, and can have a beautiful box art, manual, or collectables to look at and use whenever they want. On top of that, I often sell and trade my physical games easily without ever having to pay the publisher or anyone else. That can't be beat.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
\

And how many of those did you play for 30 min, realize it was crap, and never touch again?
Now days It's different on steam since the return policy exists. But before that, you where stuck with them. I have a huge collection of steam trash too. Nothing to be proud of, haha

So far the amount of games I have not played is 20, and 10 of those is because they are dead multiplayer games I got through Humble Bundle. Really not that crazy, I don't go around buying stuff willy nilly unless I will play it.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Convenience of digital is best felt with handheld games that's why I had my wife switched to digital when she got her PS Vita. As for home consoles, digital convenience isn't that big especially with how stupidly big games are becoming and even requiring available space just to update. This is where physical is beneficial because there is no need to re-download games.

Oct 30, 2017
Why not?

Oh so it's just better to take out the choice of purchase the preferred media from the customers and force only one choice of digital media down their throats ?

A) You have the choice of buying your games physically or digitally just pick your preference

B) You have only one choice buy it digitally or f**k off

Is that it?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
These threads always turn out the same, why do we care so much about how others choose to buy games? Why are people seriously taking jabs at others over this. Both physical and digital have their pros and the way you prefer isn't the "right" way. Having options benefits us all

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
These threads always turn out the same, why do we care so much about how others choose to buy games? Why are people seriously taking jabs at others over this. Both physical and digital have their pros and the way you prefer isn't the "right" way. Having options benefits us all

I think there is a discussion to be had about the pros and cons of each approach of owning games in an increasingly digitized world, I don't see the problem with talking about it.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Do you not? What are we calling a collection here? Surely you've amassed maybe a dozen or two favorite games over the years that you didn't sell after beating them. To me, that's a collection, and as another poster put it somewhat brashly, "clutter." I'm full digital at this point but I've still got a single shelf full of games I haven't found the will to part with yet, but don't get touched hardly at all. You have nothing similar to that?
I have 8 Switch games on my shelf. That's all. No PS4 or XBone games.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I think there is a discussion to be had about the pros and cons of each approach of owning games in an increasingly digitized world, I don't see the problem with talking about it.
Oh no problem with talking about it at all and the OP is rather well structured, it's just some of the strange dismissive posts it leads to

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Even as someone who now vastly prefers digital format media, I'm not of mind that physical is a poor way to go or that it shouldn't coexist with digital.

no idea why some folks here are so uppity. I can't live without my Spotify subscription but I still love when I see a friends meticulously sorted and lovingly maintained CD and vinyl collection, or when I go to another friend's house with a Vita full of digital software in my pocket and look into his closet that's 100% dedicated to immaculately maintained Sega Saturn and Dreamcast games and accessories, many of which are imported from Japan. There's a clear love to these collections that operates on a completely different level to the way I consume my media that I admire and respect, but don't necessarily feel an urge to emulate.

I kind of understand this.

I prefer physical myself but with Gamepass and a couple of recent via have a lot of digital, I'm not strongly against digital, it's a good option sometimes.

When I hear people talk in favour of digital here the strength of sentiment is always very surprising:

"Game boxes are absolutely gross"

"Digital is significantly better"

And I just wonder why the sentiment is so strong over two options that have the same outcome, the strength of feeling here has always seemed odd.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It is more than just a 'bit' of convenience though. Digital is extremely convenient.

That is until the physical copy of a brand new console game is $10/$20 cheaper than its digital variant.

Nintendo is most notorious for having most their games at original retail price no matter how long the game's been out.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Despite the fact that I buy primarily digitally I fully agree.

We shouldn't lose one market just because of the existence of another. Options are good.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I really want to give up physical but the extortionate digital prices are stopping me.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
So the problem isnt digital. The problem is subpar online services that still dont have refunds.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I buy digital, is when the prices are so low it makes no financial sense to grab the physical.

DOOM for $8 digital vs $15-20. Megadimension neptunia VIIr for $10 vs $40. No brainers.
I feel like physical media has way better sales earlier in a games life. Those target / best buy B2G1 sales are awesome when picking up multiple new releases at once.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I like the fact that I have the option to sell all my physical media and make money if I wanted to

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty much fully committed to being all digital now. It's just way more convenient, I don't particularly care about trading in or selling games any more and I almost never buy games unless they're on sale so it's not even more expensive. There's no downsides to being all digital for me, plenty of upsides though.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like the freedom of physical, but I don't like having piles of things any more, the freeing up of actual physical space is a plus for digital only. The negatives still outweigh for me in general, but I see + and - of both. I guess for now it's ok since we have both.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
I love the convenience of digital for sure, but I have more cases of buyer's remorse because of it. Even if I don't get much back for my trade in of my physical copies at least it's not a total loss.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The console services really do need a refund option like Steam has. Less than two hours played, return the game for a full refund.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
As long as I can buy a physical copy on release, beat and then sell 2-4 weeks later for 80-90% of the original price I'm never going digital.

Very rarely do I keep a game and when I do I know that beforehand and then digital is convenient (Mario Kart, Smash Bros etc)

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
As long as companies like Limited Run Games pick up the slack I don't give a shit, all the zeitgeist games are GaaS downloads anyway. Give me my limited physical copy and stick to digital for wide distribution.

Once consoles go digital only I'm out. I have plenty of other interests and a massive collection to enjoy instead.