• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
q69qmxxvmliqx4cwbrr5.jpg
Lol chidi.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Reason #1: People dont like having a lot of games to play. Everyone is always complaining about their backlogs and how they will never get to all the games they own. Having a bunch of games just feels like work.
The fact that people have huge backlogs kind of contradicts your first point about people not liking having a big library. Sure people complain about their backlog but they also complain about their being too many good shows to watch and not enough time.

Reason #2: People dont care about old games (very generalized obviously.) They will always pass up old stuff to play new games and be part of a conversation. No one cares if you are playing gamepass.
This is kind of true, but one of the big appeals of gamepass is that it does get new games including all the first party games which has gotten a lot more interesting because of all the acquisitions. Also, even when old games do hit game pass they have gotten a bump in attention and relevancy because millions of people just acquired that game in one fell swoop. Some podcasts and communities even do a Gamepass game of the month because it's so easy to make sure an entire community has access to it.

Reason #3: More on the Netflix for games thing, games just arent the same as movies and tv shows. No one sits down not knowing or caring what they are going to play. The whole browsing the library and just picking out something to play, I dont think that happens.
I'll give you this one. I don't play games like that. I pick one thing and play it until I beat it. Honestly though, I also use Netflix like that as well. I pick one show and watch it all the way through.

I am interested to see how my family interacts with Gamepass though. I know on my AppleTV, I have subscribed to Apple Arcade and my kids actually do use it in a more Netflix manner where they will download a random game and play it for a day.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I really can't help but wonder how much the "Gamepass won't work" argument has to do with it being Microsoft.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think games and subscriptions are incompatible. I just don't think the rotating library is a fitting model for games. Luckily, with the gazillion studios Microsoft now own, there will be plenty of games on gamepass that are there to stay.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I came in here expecting to discover a different, interesting perspective that I hadn't considered.

I leave disappointed.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I like to play a lot of games. I don't necessarily like playing games a lot, though certain games I will put a lot of time into. These types of services have definitely helped save money over the years.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
They will always pass up old stuff to play new games and be part of a conversation. No one cares if you are playing gamepass.

That isn't true at all from my anecdotal experience. When an older game is added to Gamepass, people in the Gamepass thread and other places do play it and talk about it.

N.IgmatikOne

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
There will be less Triple A games on Game pass than on Playstation. I believe game pass will completely eliminate AAA games eventually and their high investment games will be AA games.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
I find with subscription services, I rarely make full use out of them, and will go months at a time without using them, so I generally don't like them. I prefer the old fashioned wait for a sale and splurge approach.

Nov 8, 2017
You can tell GP is doing something right considering how many feathers it ruffles on a regular basis. That service is living rent free in a lot of heads for sure.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Thoughts? I think the OP has difficulty seeing beyond her own bubble and does not understand that new business models can exist.

Edit: Just noticed OP's preferred gender pronoun and edited to fix

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of mental gymnastics used to create this hot take is impressive. It's a service. You don't have to join it. You can still go on buying new and old games the old way if you don't like it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shining Star

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
3. I've literally done this with my main co-op buddy, we look at what's on Game Pass and decide what to play. For solo gaming, I often check out what's new on Game Pass and what's leaving soon too.

Thats interesting that people use it like that, I wouldnt have thought but thats cool.

The fact that people have huge backlogs kind of contradicts your first point about people not liking having a big library. Sure people complain about their backlog but they also complain about their being too many good shows to watch and not enough time.

This is kind of true, but one of the big appeals of gamepass is that it does get new games including all the first party games which has gotten a lot more interesting because of all the acquisitions. Also, even when old games do hit game pass they have gotten a bump in attention and relevancy because millions of people just acquired that game in one fell swoop. Some podcasts and communities even do a Gamepass game of the month because it's so easy to make sure an entire community has access to it.

Good points too the new games thing and maybe people like backlogs more than I thought.

That isn't true at all from my anecdotal experience. When an older game is added to Gamepass, people in the Gamepass thread and other places do play it and talk about it.

I didnt know they did that I havent heard a lot of talking about old games on gamepass but thats cool.

Scott Pilgrim

Oct 25, 2020
I think the same, I don't like the idea of 'renting' games and with Game Pass you will lose games over the time since they remove it after a while.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
OP I disagree with you but the dismissive snarky replies in this thread makes me want to defend you anyway.

I think it all comes down to price and catalogue tbh. I maily play Stadia, and even though the selection isn't great, the price is so low I don't care.

If other services want to charge more, they need better games. Each platform holder seems to be finding the 'sweet spot' in terms of how to handle this, but I do think the business model is here to stay.

Last edited:

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
For some reason, Gamepass doesn't create a backlog feeling situation for me. More like "oh cool guess I'll try that". I don't feel obligated to play all the games the same way I do with my actual backlog.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Reason #1: People dont like having a lot of games to play. Everyone is always complaining about their backlogs and how they will never get to all the games they own. Having a bunch of games just feels like work.
No, they aren't. People might "complain" about their back log, but most of them aren't upset it about it.
If anything, Gamepass improves this because people aren't having to feel bad they spent money on a game they aren't playing.
Reason #2: People dont care about old games (very generalized obviously.) They will always pass up old stuff to play new games and be part of a conversation. No one cares if you are playing gamepass.
People don't need old games. Gamepass has new games and because games are pricey you only need a couple to make the cost worth it.

Reason #3: More on the Netflix for games thing, games just arent the same as movies and tv shows. No one sits down not knowing or caring what they are going to play. The whole browsing the library and just picking out something to play, I dont think that happens.
Honestly if I could stream, I'd probably be more likely to try out a new game than a new movie.

rafacamolez

Jan 3, 2019
Brazil
Man I wish the consoles were already out so we wouldn't have this bizarre kind of "off season" where these nuclear takes are everywhere. At least the NBA off season is fun.

I'd actually argue that something like gamepass or netflix makes MORE sense for games than movies for the end user for the simple reason games are usually much more expensive.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Amazing every word of what you just said was wrong. My opinion is options are great and if they aren't successful they don't last. I myself enjoy using Apple Music, Netflix, Game Pass and other services like them. What is it with some people where Game Pass seem to ruffle their fathers?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
It's definitely not for everyone but I think it makes sense on Xbox where the exclusives haven't been nearly as well received as PlayStation's.

I've caught myself buying Game Pass games on the store because they are on sale and I don't want to run into a situation where the game goes off Game Pass and I'll have to pay full price eventually. It has its moments though.

basic_element

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, what are the recent big AAA releases that are on GamePass day 1? I also have the (misconceived?) notion that it's just a bunch of old games. I just saw the games listed for release this November and there is only one game on the list that I would be interested in (Doom Eternal) and that was released 8 months ago.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

I guess all this applies to things like EA access and Ubisoft+ too. I remembered Ubisoft had a thing! Did you? I dont know if I got the name right tho.

Thoughts?

I think you spoke for "people" when you meant you.

1) I think people like playing a lot of games which is why they have a lot of games in their backlog to begin with. I know this is why my backlog is big and grows by the month.
2) This is so wrong. I just point you to how well Mario 3D All Stars is doing. I know for me personally this is also completely false.
3) Literally just happened with me and Supraland and holy shit what a great game.

Thoughts? You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think there's some merit to the OP's post. I think consumers treat games differently to films and media.

I think that the game pass like services are likely to be complimentary, as opposed to the replacement that they have become in the movie and music industry. I don't know about others but unlike a movie, I tend to want to go back to a game and replay it, these types of online connected services aren't very good for that, tying the game up with an online only service, where the game will only be available as long as the contractual deal with the publisher holds. It doesn't align with how I play games wherein I might go back to the same game for many years to come.

Heck, several games I've been playing have been removed from Game Pass and Playstation Now before I can could even finish them. Very frustrating, especially if you're investing in a cloud streaming service and don't have access to the game any other way. I think unless that consistent provision is resolved then many people will still prefer to buy their games ordinarily.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I have Gamepass, but have hardly used it the past like 5 or 6 months, but if they release something compelling to me on it that I want to play I like having that option to just download from there. I don't think I will ever buy in into subscription services for games until I am forced into it.

None of those issues in the OP apply to me.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reason 1: People stress about their backlogs because they spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on them and feel the need to not let that money go to waste, Gamepass is $15 a month.
Reason 2: This is more of a personal opinion but to counter that, they are releasing a lot of brand new games day one on Gamepass so it's a mix of old and new.
Reason 3: I can slightly agree with this, people don't just randomly browse Gamepass and find a game then download said 50GB game and play it, BUT with xCloud I could see that happening, where someone browses Gamepass and sees something interesting then instantly stream it to whatever their playing on.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason, Gamepass doesn't create a backlog feeling situation for me. More like "oh cool guess I'll try that". I don't feel obligated to play all the games the same way I do with my actual backlog.

Yup. PS Now actually made me feel fine with just dropping a game the second I get bored. I played both God of War and Horizon up until I had a handle on the mechanics and the combat and then I stopped. I felt I had experienced the core of the game and I didn't feel doing it for 10 hours would give me any more enjoyment. Since I didn't buy these games individually, there was no pressure to complete them and I could just back out and try a new game immediately.

Mar 19, 2020
1. It's different to have a ton of games available at a flat rate verses being confronted with my lack of impulse control when looking at a back log. I love the quantity and variety of game pass.
2. I care about not new games. But also game pass gets a bunch of new/less than a year old games. Especially now with the Bethesda acquisition.
3. I've sat down plenty of times unsure of what I would play and found something I was not thinking about on game pass. A decent amount of times that game turned out to be great and I proceeded to play the heck out of it.
Conclusion, I guess we disagree.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I thought with my backlog on Steam I could live without Gamepass, turns out they have a lot of games on my Steam wish list so now I've signed up for it XD

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Topic backfire lmao, OP should've thought really hard before hitting enter.

But seriously, what a terrible hottake. Glad the overwhelmingly majority disagrees with you, OP.

Abu05

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree and wonder how many more times this will pop on era. I feel like someone has posted this almost every other month

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017

I guess all this applies to things like EA access and Ubisoft+ too. I remembered Ubisoft had a thing! Did you? I dont know if I got the name right tho.

Thoughts?
A lot of absolutes and presumptions in these "Reasons". "No one" is not accurate, XGP has like 15 mil subscribers, thats not no one

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I do think that the idea of Gamepass games being limited time does stress me out a little bit, if there's something that I'm somewhat interested in playing but worried I won't get around to it. They should increase the warning time before games get removed, so people have more time to plan out what they'd like to play next

But overall it's a great service, and hopefully the model that other companies follow in the future

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

Thoughts?

Have you ever used Game Pass? Counterpoints to everything you've suggested:

1: People have different gaming habits. There are clearly millions of people who like to play singular games at a time. On the other hand, there are clearly millions of people who love being spoiled for choice. It's why arcades flourished back in the day, it's why Game Pass is successful today, it's why Humble Bundles and massive steam collections are a thing. Personally, I love playing different games on different days. It's nice to hop into a quick indie or arcade game, trying out a new hyped up game, or that quirky game after an epic open world game with no risk.

2. People clearly care about old games....It's why backwards compatibility is such a huge deal, it's why websites like GOG.com (good old games) exist, it's why people go crazy for emulators of all thier old favortie consoles...it's why people rebuy mario, COD, Zelda, Persona (this was literally the number one selling game on Steam in June). There are tens of thousands of games out there, great game design stands the test of time. People still play Counterstrike and WOW like crazy. This is clearly not true.

2b. For those that for whatever reason don't like playing games because they are "old" or "older", the main reason Game Pass is so successful is because Microsoft constantly releases new games day 1 on the platform, just like Netflix does. Even when people have crazy big backlogs (nevermind, if people don't like playing diferent games, why do they have such big backlogs?), new games still tend to sell crazy well. People love getting caught up in the hype of new games. Game Pass makes your gaming life even more exciting. Now, not only are you able to be a part of the game releases you can afford, you can be a part of every single exciting Microsoft 1st part game launch. You can be a part of more 3rd part game launches day 1. You get to also be excited for shadow drops of brand new indie games day 1 before hyped up industry events. A Netflix models makes your gaming like more exciting for both old and new games.

3. Why? Do people not browse steam during steam sales and buy games that look fun or cool? Is there some disconnect between games and the worldwide love of window shopping? do people not like browsing stores on game systems looking for interesting games to play? People love window shopping. People loved renting games back in the day. Imagine going into a store where you can walk out of the store with every game you see. Imagine browsing Game Pass and finding a dozen games you heard were great, and being able to just install it and play.

This doesn't even tap into how great the netflix model/ Game Pass is for families. $10-15 a month and everyone in the household can not only choose from hundreds of games to play for a quaint monthly fee, but they have an entire shared library with thier friends. Now they can play multiplayer and co-op in tons of games across Xbox, PC, and mobile together, from the same house.

Netflix/ Game Pass models don't have to be for everybody, but they certainly have proven to be exciting for a ton of people, and have both already proven to be successful.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Reason #1: That's a first-world problem if I've ever heard one. People would love to have too many games to play through, but most people can't afford this luxury... If only there were some sort of subscription service that gave people access to 100s of games...

Reason #2: As somebody who skipped the Xbox One for a PS4, I'm looking forward to an entire generation of first-party games to play through. There's a strong chance I'll replay all of the Splinter Cell games before I do anything else. Thank you Microsoft for your hard work in bringing the collection to the backwards compatibility program!

Reason #3: That's because we have to buy the games before playing them. People tend to do a certain level of research before buying something. With Game Pass, we could very well just jump into a game the same way we do movies/TV because it's part of the subscription.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think that the game pass like services are likely to be complimentary, as opposed to the replacement that they have become in the movie and music industry.
I mean, this is what MS and Phil have been saying forever. The only people who say otherwise are the ones who fear(monger) that it's going to ruin the game industry somehow.